4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Big auto tranny question! Auto owners! Come in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Too obsessed

Big auto tranny question! Auto owners! Come in!

I recently got my transmission replaced with one that has around 60k miles on it. It seemed fine for a while, then i put the maxima away for the winter. when i brought it back out again a couple of days ago, i noticed that the tranny was doing funny things like popping out of gear when i hit the brakes too hard. After driving it for a little while, i stopped to check the fluid and it was low... VERY low. So obviously there is a leak somewhere. I filled the fluid and it seemed fine after that. THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM!

The problem is that the next day, i was using the maxima to commute to work. I was stuck behind a slow truck and when i was finally able to pass it, i floored it to pass it. Any auto owner knows that when you are doing about 45mph and suddenly give it WOT, the RPM's leap up and it drops into 2nd. Well, my RPM's leaped up rediculously fast and bounced off of redline for about 2 seconds before it landed the gear correctly. This scared the **** outta me because it caused the car to backfire and sounded horrible.

This same thing has happened to me before and it had nothing to do with the tranny at all. It had to do with the alternator and electrical problems in my car. when i floored it, it would bounce off the rev limiter for a sec before shifting. I have (supposedly) fixed all those electrical problems a long time ago. Nothing else elecrical in the car seems to be failing, so i don't think it is that. The tranny also seems to be shifting normally at normal speeds as well. Do you think i permanently fu*ked up my tranny by driving it like 50 miles with hardly any fluid in it?

has this happened to anyone else? can anyone help me! i've spent over $1200 dealing with this ****** transmission!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Kevlo for President

Sounds like a slipping tranny...
Old 03-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

pull the code's - any?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Too obsessed

if there were codes, the CEL would be on right? if not, how do you know if there are codes? doesn't the O/D light blink a number of times or something?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Too obsessed

the tranny was just replaced though! if doesn't slip in any other gears and seems fine under normal driving... but now that i think of it, it seems a little sluggish lately. like it tried too hard to downshift you have the push the gas down pretty far to make it downshift. it doesn't feel very "peppy" when accelerating. could it be the TPS? my mechanic said that could be the problem... any responses?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by busterdawg22
the tranny was just replaced though! if doesn't slip in any other gears and seems fine under normal driving... but now that i think of it, it seems a little sluggish lately. like it tried too hard to downshift you have the push the gas down pretty far to make it downshift. it doesn't feel very "peppy" when accelerating. could it be the TPS? my mechanic said that could be the problem... any responses?

Where did you get teh tranny from? def sounds like slippage to me. Just because it was recently put on, doesnt mean it was in good condition when it was put on. Thats the rrisk with buying a used tranny.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:20 PM

im going through that exact same problem right now, im sueing my mechanic though, he changed my tranny on the 28th or 29th but it started slipping on the 14th of last month and hes telling m i need another tranny because its slipping again, but yeah basically the tranny is messed up, try having it rebuilt or a new one...... i paid $1500
Old 03-07-2007, 06:27 PM

IMHO Check your Speed sensor on top of transmission. FSM have a picture. a loose VSS connection might cause it to be in wrong gear.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:43 PM

did you replace with another used tranny? or did you have it rebuilt? If you had it fixed go to the shop that did it and tell them the problem. Other wise as stated by the other guys, if it was replaced it sounds like you're probably slipping again. Unfortunately you might have to have a shop check and see what's up.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:52 PM

depends on where you get the used tranny from. about 8 times the price.

used tranny = $250 - $350
rebuilt = $2000
Old 03-07-2007, 06:56 PM

Do you think i permanently fu*ked up my tranny by driving it like 50 miles with hardly any fluid in it?
yes, i deffinatly think thats what started your problem. you probably burnt up your clutches and bands. which would require a rebuild or replacement of some sort. but why not have a place check it out? a lot of shops do free diagnosis. i know aamco does, and a couple other local shops around me i know of do it too. something to look into atleast....

just to clarify, im not saying get it done at aamco, im just saying....the do free diagnosis....FREE diagnosis. if you really want to get it rebuilt or replaced go to a smaller shop. will probably be a little cheaper.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:56 PM

I agree that it depends but you also need to think about installation. If you can't install it yourself you're looking at 300-400 from a shop probably. You'll still save doing a used tranny (usually), but you run the risk of what is happening to these guys and having the new/old one slip. I would find a VLSD tranny and pop a VB mod in there and have fun.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:35 PM

my tranny slips between 2nd and 3rd... rpms jump bout 1000 rpm or so then it shifts... is this bad? or is it something that needs to be fixed
Old 03-07-2007, 10:24 PM

yeah you're tranny is starting to slip
Old 03-08-2007, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by maximacruizer
my tranny slips between 2nd and 3rd... rpms jump bout 1000 rpm or so then it shifts... is this bad? or is it something that needs to be fixed
for the whole time ive had my car my tranny has done that. even after it had been rebuilt. you step on the gas, RPMs jump from like 1500-3000.......and then it shifts. its f***ed up. but ive always assumed it was just how auto max's are.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:15 AM

I dont know why anyone rebuilds auto trannys. The only thing you can do with an auto tranny that is slipping or acting up is to throw it away and buy a used one.
http://car-part.com/ I bought parts from here before for a different car and they worked fine.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:20 AM

what? how do you figure theyre not worth rebuilding? are you joking?? as long as you replace all the bad parts you shouldnt have any problem with a rebuilt tranny.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:40 AM

I recently got my transmission replaced with one that has around 60k miles on it. It seemed fine for a while, then i put the maxima away for the winter. when i brought it back out again a couple of days ago, i noticed that the tranny was doing funny things like popping out of gear when i hit the brakes too hard. After driving it for a little while, i stopped to check the fluid and it was low... VERY low. So obviously there is a leak somewhere. I filled the fluid and it seemed fine after that. THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM!

The problem is that the next day, i was using the maxima to commute to work. I was stuck behind a slow truck and when i was finally able to pass it, i floored it to pass it. Any auto owner knows that when you are doing about 45mph and suddenly give it WOT, the RPM's leap up and it drops into 2nd. Well, my RPM's leaped up rediculously fast and bounced off of redline for about 2 seconds before it landed the gear correctly. This scared the **** outta me because it caused the car to backfire and sounded horrible.

This same thing has happened to me before and it had nothing to do with the tranny at all. It had to do with the alternator and electrical problems in my car. when i floored it, it would bounce off the rev limiter for a sec before shifting. I have (supposedly) fixed all those electrical problems a long time ago. Nothing else elecrical in the car seems to be failing, so i don't think it is that. The tranny also seems to be shifting normally at normal speeds as well. Do you think i permanently fu*ked up my tranny by driving it like 50 miles with hardly any fluid in it?

has this happened to anyone else? can anyone help me! i've spent over $1200 dealing with this ****** transmission!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol I only had to read the first cople lines to tell you that I had the same exact problem. I too recently got a Tranny put in with a new engine. I too also noticed the tranny would slip and oil was low. apparently (and idk if this has been answered I've only read like 2 lines of this thread) but since there is two transmission types Limited slip, and possy track, they take a different size cv shaft. FOR ME, and idk if this is your problem but it seems like it is, I got an Limited slip tranny and the guy didn't know but he installed Possy track CV shafts. they don't fit right > so your car leaks tranny fluid > You slip gears. and it jumps gears and it sucks alot. > good way to **** up your tranny. > Sooo i went and had my CV shafts replaced (AGAIN) (3rd time) and bought LS ones, they fit fine = Car is better. runs like bran new :-) but like I said, maybe something diff is wrong. but that sounds EXACTLY what was happaning to me. EXACTLY.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Kevlo for President

If your tranny revs inbetween shifts, get a new one. If someone rebuilt them, make them do it again. It is NOT normal what so ever.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:45 AM

Grr I'm telling you it's a different sized CV shaft, Idk if you have LSD tranny or Possy but I know the CV shafts work differently thus they have to be different sizes.

Thats why they tell you to just replaced the CV shafts when you replace the tranny

I ended up buying new CVshafts about 6 months ago. then had to replace them because a boots ripped cause i hit some bad "rockage" -_-
Then put in a new tranny. and bought NEW ones, then had to send those back and get Limited slip CV's... was gay.

But yeah I'm telling you. take it to any shop
and have them look at it. Tell them to look where the CV joins the tranny and ask them if thats where the leakage is from. if so figure out your tranny type and buy new CV's,,, I delt with this problem till my car was nearly un driveable (which was like 2 days after getting it back and letting it sit in the driveway and drain all its tranny fluid overnight ) Then my dad decided it was that. He claims it happened to his sentra back in the day. ;O soo yeah. I hope thats your problem too.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
If your tranny revs inbetween shifts, get a new one. If someone rebuilt them, make them do it again. It is NOT normal what so ever.

NO DONT GET A NEW ONE thats dumb.. replace the CV's I'm ****ing telling you. -_-

CV > doesn't fit Tranny > Tranny drains fluid from bottom > Tranny sleeps gears and grinds and. is horrible to drive because when you push the gas in it revs the car up to about 3k RPM then just ****in wips the tires. and finally jumps in to gear. it's horrible. It's like putting it in neutral at a stop. then just popping it into drive. EWW. I think I Must have even screwed up my tranny just a little bit. and thats sad knowing its a 10k mile tranny :'(
Old 03-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by ZaxWhite97Max
NO DONT GET A NEW ONE thats dumb.. replace the CV's I'm ****ing telling you. -_-

No, the axles have NOTHING to do with shifting. Go to www.howstuffworks.com and learn something before you post. By new I didn't mean a new one from nissan but a "used" low mile one, while it wont be new it will be new to the owner.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Kevlo for President

If the tranny leaks at the cv inputs, it is still the tranny. You need to replace the seal. Stop talking out of your ***
Old 03-08-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
If the tranny leaks at the cv inputs, it is still the tranny. You need to replace the seal. Stop talking out of your ***
No.. You're retarded. LS CV's are different in how they work compared to Possy CV's.. as in. If you stick a ****ing LS CV's in a possy tranny it will eaither be to small or to big. I forget which it is. I ****ing put my car up on a lift. Tore it to hell. and looked where the CV's joined it. OBVIOUS leaking. OBVIOUSLY doesn't fit right. I tok it to a shop. They replaced them. Now they're fine.

as in it wasn't the ****ing tranny. I had the CV's replaced. So now i have LS CV's with an LS tranny. = THAT MAKES SENSE. Possy track CV's with a LS tranny = DOESNT MAKE SENSE. thats why it leaks. it doesn't fit. If you think I'm retarded you are. I replaced them and my tranny is working fine RIGHT after i replace them. so why the **** wouldn't that be the problem.

He said he replaced his tranny. and i did to. he said it worked fine the first couples days. then he stored it. i did the SAME ****ING THING.

When i took it out it was garbage. fluid had leaked it was sleeping gears. so maybe you need to go to www.wowcheckurCV's.com and quit acting like your all mighty because you have 12k posts.

AND YES axles have nothing to do with shifting. but when they dont fit and it leaks fluid THEN IT ****ING DOES.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Kevlo for President

WTF is possy---posi? This is not the rear end of a dodge...
All we have is locking and non locking. If you are dumb enough to buy a locking tranny cv on a NONlocking tranny stop working on your car.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM

the guy doesnt even have a LSD. He got a new auto tranny and the same axles. He doesnt have an LSD with regular axles. And yeah, we know that with a LSD tranny you need a new PS axle. It doesn't matter if you had the same issues, it doesn't mean he has the same exact problem. I agree with Kev, if you buy an LSD and don't know to change the axle at the same time then you don't know what you're doing with it. He through an old tranny onto his car so it was cheaper and now it's starting to slip. If he does have an LSD than yeah he needs to change the axles, otherwise no.

Go to the shop and have them look, and also make suer you didn't buy an LSD without the axle.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:43 AM

Well this is pointless to argue with you

You asked if anyone has had this prolem. I have had the exact same problem. EXACT.. So, I told you. You can listen to them. or you can listen to me. But just take your car to a shop, tell them you want nothing fixed. you just want them to look where the CV's join the transmission. He will do it and call you and most likely tell you. "Boy you have the wrong CV shafts joining to dem transmission you got right there." And you go WOW okay. So.. what CV's do I need?! And he will say. well I looked and the maxima comes with two types of transmissions, Limited Slip, and Possy. And you go. WOW What one do I have? and then he tells you. Then you go Uhm. WHY do i need new CV's and he goes. well THIS there CV does no match up with your new tranny. so you need these ____ CV's because your CV's are a different size. they don't fit right and the seal isn't sealing. So your leaking transmission fluid. ausin ya to slip gears. and then you go okay and he gets you a new one installed in 2 days and then your car is fine. I just did this to my car not even 3 weeks ago. It works Fine now.
I'm 90% sure this is what is causing your car to jump gears. S you go do that and report back, We'll see whos right okay?
Thanks - Bye.

By the way. Locking = Limited Slip / non-locking = Possy. Kthnxbie
By the way. He never said what Transmission he replaced his old one with. Nor did he say what his old transmission was.

Auto max comes with LS or Possy tranny. idiot. -_- Go flame another 12 thousand posts k.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Kevlo for President

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=possy
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=pos...p=mss&ei=UTF-8

No okay?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 AM

Your idiotiotic.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Too obsessed

thanks for all the help guys. my car came stock with a posi-traction tranny, not an LS. Therefore i made sure i replaced it with the same type. Therefore, I shouldn't need new axles or CV joints, but I am going to take it to the shop either today or tomorrow and have all that looked at anyway to see where the leak is coming from. I appreciate everyone's help so far and will report back asap on my findings!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:51 PM

Well this is pointless to argue with you

You asked if anyone has had this prolem. I have had the exact same problem. EXACT.. So, I told you. You can listen to them. or you can listen to me. But just take your car to a shop, tell them you want nothing fixed. you just want them to look where the CV's join the transmission. He will do it and call you and most likely tell you. "Boy you have the wrong CV shafts joining to dem transmission you got right there." And you go WOW okay. So.. what CV's do I need?! And he will say. well I looked and the maxima comes with two types of transmissions, Limited Slip, and Possy. And you go. WOW What one do I have? and then he tells you. Then you go Uhm. WHY do i need new CV's and he goes. well THIS there CV does no match up with your new tranny. so you need these ____ CV's because your CV's are a different size. they don't fit right and the seal isn't sealing. So your leaking transmission fluid. ausin ya to slip gears. and then you go okay and he gets you a new one installed in 2 days and then your car is fine. I just did this to my car not even 3 weeks ago. It works Fine now.
I'm 90% sure this is what is causing your car to jump gears. S you go do that and report back, We'll see whos right okay?
Thanks - Bye.

By the way. He never said what Transmission he replaced his old one with. Nor did he say what his old transmission was.

Auto max comes with LS or Possy tranny. idiot. -_- Go flame another 12 thousand posts k.
Ok I'm not sure why you're calling anyone an idiot. You're the one that originally switched a LSD tranny without switching axles.
1. You don't need pics at all for this thread. In fact they are pointless.
2. Yeah every max comes with a locking or non-locking, no ****.
3. He didn't replace his old tranny with an LSD so he does not need new axles. They might have f'd it up when putting back together but don't yell at us that you're positive someone made your same mistake.
3. Pretty sure Kev hasn't flamed for 12,000 posts. For posts like yours...yeah maybe

So if he comes back from the shop and the tranny was replaced with an LSD with no change of axles, congrats they made the same mistake as you and you can have that credit.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
Ok I'm not sure why you're calling anyone an idiot. You're the one that originally switched a LSD tranny without switching axles.
1. You don't need pics at all for this thread. In fact they are pointless.
2. Yeah every max comes with a locking or non-locking, no ****.
3. He didn't replace his old tranny with an LSD so he does not need new axles. They might have f'd it up when putting back together but don't yell at us that you're positive someone made your same mistake.
3. Pretty sure Kev hasn't flamed for 12,000 posts. For posts like yours...yeah maybe

So if he comes back from the shop and the tranny was replaced with an LSD with no change of axles, congrats they made the same mistake as you and you can have that credit.
WRONG. I bought the LS tranny and the LS CV's that went with it. The moron Mechanic was the one that left them laying on the ground in the package NOT INSTALLED ON MY CAR.. I had to re-buy them thinking he put them in. when He told me "hey I found your axles at my shop.. etc" I re-sold them.

And next, I know every max comes with possy or LS? K? Idk why your arguing that.

And final, yeah, because he's flamed well over 12,500 ..

And, I'm still betting anyone that its the seal from the CV to the tranny. Anyone? anyone?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 PM
sky jumper

who told you that?

"Positraction" or "posi" is an old-school name for limited slip differentials in muscle cars --> posi = limited slip. "non-locking" as you call it is not "posi". you have your terms confused.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Kevlo for President

And final, yeah, because he's flamed well over 12,500 ..

Yes, you are correct. I wonder why MY posts are in 5 of the 7 stickies in the 4th gen forum? What have you done to help this board?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:22 AM

I was comparing.. -_-

Non-locking/locking ,,, Possi/LSD
Old 03-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Kevlo for President

I was comparing.. -_-

WHO SAID POSI IS NON LOCKING? Why do you keep saying that?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:58 AM
sky jumper

I was comparing.. -_-

I know - and you are wrong, and a juvenile child. stop spreading your misinformation.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:29 AM
sky jumper

for the sake of others reading this thread...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited...#Factory_Names

Old 03-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Unless you can identify transmission codes for the "possi/possy" and "LS" automatic transmissions, then you need to just accept that you are full of crap and delete your posts. If you don't, I will.

You are spreading too much disinformation to let this continue.

And while I am at it, stop insulting members or you can kiss your membership here goodbye.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by maximacruizer
My friends car use to do the same. We took it to dealer, turned out to be a wiring problem, fixed in 10mins.