4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What was the reason you bought your first maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 06:01 PM

didnt know ANYTHING about cars, but i wanted a V6 accord cuz my father had one and i liked how it was leather and etc..... we had the special edition brand new back in 97 (then got stolen). So i was looking for an accord v6 or similar, (hated camery's) and we came across a Maxima, i loved it. Leather, nice sound system (bose, when it was working lol), sunroof, wasnt interested in it being quick, didnt actually go WOT till i somone told me it was ok to do it lol. i used to think it was bad to take cars WOT lol. DAMN N00BLET!! Then I found the org, bought BOMZ CAI, and caught the damn mod bug. and now i got a damn rear mount turbo on my car lmao.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought my 98 GLE in 2002, it was nice, and I like the green with tan leather int. I had always liked the max, since my grandmother had an 95 GLE. The car runs great, and has all the options. I paid 10k and it had 70k on it. I now have 176k and have never had any mechanical problems whatsoever. Not even any rattles or noticeable wear of the interior. I since have put 17" rims and Toyo's. I also added a generic CAI, megan catback, stone racing headers and Y-pipe, and slotted/drilled rotors. I also added a JVC deck and a sub. I actually have bought a set of seats from a wrecked max, in order to switch out the injection molded foam on my driver's seat because I have worn out the foam after 176k. I also weigh 260lbs. My leather is still in great shape so I just need the foam. I know that when my engine blows, I will just rebuild it and keep going, the max is by far the best car I have ever owned. I simply love it. That's a lot to say for a car with that many miles on it, I baby it too. In the future I will be replacing the shock/struts/springs with aftermarket ones to lower and firm up the ride. I will also probably do some more work to customize the interior. The max is simply the best car around, I would take it over any other car, for reliability, looks, performance, it's the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:51 PM

1 reason alone, it was free. my parents used to drive it and its still in pretty good condition besides the non-unlocking front passenger door.

PS: if anyone noes how to fix the door, PM me plz =]
Old 03-12-2007, 05:32 PM

I bought my first max beacause i wanted something reliable that i could fit more than 2 people in. I used to drive a corolla and got hit by a truck and nearly killed my passenger so i wanted something bigger that wouldnt explode in a collision. Not to mention 30mpg and 190hp stock never hurt either, got it off my aunt for a good deal and not until i found this forum did i realise all the upgrades available.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had no choice. My first max was an 88 GXE fully loaded but I didnt like it because it was boxy and all of my friends had civics. Saw the potential of the engine and car itself after finding this site and the 2nd gen group on yahoo and loved it since. Had it for 7 years and with 201k miles I sold it after having this one for 7 months. I got this one because I couldnt pass the deal up and I had been wanting a 4th gen since having my first max. The potential for mods this car carries is quite satisfying for it to be a family sedan. I love it.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:19 PM

Japanese 3.0L V6 engine
5-speed manual transmission
Large 4-door sedan
Capable of pulling the grocery getter surprise on unsuspecting ricers

At the time, I also had my eye on the 2nd gen Legend. Every time I see one on the road I wish I had gotten one. I just love the body style.

Of course from a performance standpoint, there's plenty of better platforms out there to start with, but the Maxima was fairly inexpensive, reliable, and performs well for what it is.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought an infinity because of the look and feel. I didn't even know that Nissan made it or that it was basically a Maxima.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:04 PM

i had a civic.....after i crashed it, i was going to get another honda, but decided i wanted something nicer and more powerful. I had always liked maximas but didnt think i'd be able to find a 5 speed (i refuse to drive automatics). So i found it and fell in love. i wanted a white car, loved the fact that it had leather and power everything with a sunroof and nice wheels AND the price was well under budget. I called about it and everything seemed cool so i took a 4 hour road trip the very next day and picked it up for $3950 cash.

i dont regret it.....the car has proved to be far more than i really expected.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:47 PM
i has college

Mine was never beaten on, garaged 24/7, had all service records, clean title, gorgeous interior/exterior, and I loved how it drove. I thought $5800 was a good deal at the time =\
Old 04-07-2007, 04:49 PM

because of the NISSAN__shift ad campaign
Old 04-07-2007, 07:58 PM

My dad owns a dealership, and i've ownd multiple/drove alot of cars.. my first car was 92 325i auto, then i got a 95 honda accord 5spd, then i said to my SELF ill Never buy a AUTO again, only if its an SUV(which i'm not planing on getin tell i'm finishd with my School) Anyways one Day i had to drive a 95 maxima AUTO for my father to his shop... i was on a light, and i was like let me see what this auto got... Never drove a max before.. So i Floored it, and WOW that car had SOME JUICE>.... then i went back and look'd up some research, and luckly they came in 5spd too.. so i sold my accord and kept a loook out for a 5spd max.. (had to have Leather, sunroof, fogs, spoiler) and it took me 3 months to find one at a Auction...

Btw, i've owned 4 Maxima's... NOt that i've wreckd them..lol i've sold them all. and got something nicer than the other,
now im loving the Black on Black!!!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

It doesn't have the best resale value so you can get a nice used one, afforably.

Only car in its class with pearl white paint (on black leather).

Comes decently loaded: Heated leather seats, electronic climate control, sunroof, etc.

Reliable.

Pretty good aftermarket support! Supercharger kit, ground effects, suspension, intakes/exhausts, etc.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:30 PM

My max has the whole package that i wanted... Good looks,dependability,competative price, and last but not least, awesome ride
Old 04-07-2007, 09:52 PM

well i bought mine from my dad because i knew that it was a sweet car when i was learning to drive and i got the whole car for about what it cost to fix it which was around 800 bucks so basically i had a really good opportunity to get my first car for cheap and i jumped on it i love the heck out of it to i keep it way cleaner then my dad did and have more fun with it then he did too to bad it leaks oil faster then i can fill it back up
Old 04-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Doggah Bite...

I got my 1st Max from my parents, it was a white 95 GLE auto, loaded w/ tan interior/leather and had ~105k. I had is 2 days and totaled it, insurance wrote me a check for 5k for it, I did some shopping and found a 97 SE, tan auto w/ 87k on it, dude was asking 6k but I chewed him down to 5200 b/c he said the sunroof was acting funny. I fixed the sunroof and drove the car until it had ~125k on it, then totaled that one(ah, my teenage years...) and insurance gave me 6.5K for that one.
I had already decided that I wanted 5spd and black interior, so I took my winnings, err... settlement, and set out in search of my perfect Max. Finally found one in southern Fla, a 97 SE white ext/black int, 5spd but it had 131,xxx miles on it. Dood was asking $5850, but I managed to get him down to 4400 somehow.

Once I drove the 5spd, I was hooked. The manual car had almost twice the miles on it, but was sooooo much more fun to drive.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Armelius
1. chain instead of a belt
2. 30 mpg
3. 190 hp
4. nissan flagship
5. sun roof
6. 6k when I bought it in 99
7. one other owner
I agree with you there on #1. After having an SHO for my first car and having to replace the belt twice and replacing a belt on my girlfriends Focus I was relieved to know the Max had a timing chain. Also the power reminded me of my SHO, loved the engine (220hp DOHC 3.0L) hated the car. Even with no power steering this car is still pretty easy to drive hah. Bought a new rack off RockAuto yesterday. Hopefully will be steering with one hand by monday! Glad I have air tools...
Old 04-10-2007, 06:58 AM

One of the best engines in the world, reliability (haha, yeah), power!, torque!, looks good inside and out, affordable.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:31 AM

When I started looking for a car I decided I needed something somewhat reliable and innocent-looking. I was kind of entertaining Accord coupes, but the V6 models only came in auto, so they were out. I always liked Maximas and had been surfing the org a bit, one day I found out a guy I knew had a '96 and asked him for a ride in it. The car felt really strong and even chirped third gear with three people in it (high school days), got up to 100mph on a single loong block next to our school. I basically fell in love with it at that point. Back then having a car that could spin all through first gear and then bark into second was pretty much a fantasy for me, the cars I drove were either automatic or a miata.

So, a few years later when I finally had the money, Maximas still had the crazy-awesome VQ and a 5 speed which was a must, was pretty light yet still pretty big inside to haul around friends. Basically everything I wanted in a car.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 AM

I had just gotten a new job and while my current car was reliable, I just couldn't stand my automatic 1995 Geo Prizm anymore. So basically I went out with the prerequisite that my next car had to be manual and that was it.

I went to a dealer to check out an Integra GSR. I got there and found out they had just sold it the day before.

While I was there I spotted the Maxima among a row of other 4th gen's. I had been a fan of Maxima's but never really been interested in owning one. Checked it out, saw it was a 5 speed, and I had to take it out for a test drive. Totally loved it. I put a down payment on it, went home and did a bit more research, came back the next day and signed the paperwork!

3 years and 75k miles later, I'm still glad I purchased it. I tried to sell it a couple of times in my ownership (lusting after pretty much anything with 2 doors) but in the end I just couldn't part with it. I'm glad I held onto it; now I'm at the point where I can afford a second car so it's all good!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:01 AM

the reason i brought my maxima is that we own 6 of them 3 3rd gen, 2 4th gen and one 5th gen.... they are easy car to work on, one of the 3rd gen had over 360,000miles on it before the engine mount rusted and broke off. with good maintance these cars will last a long time. i love my 4th gen maxima, lots of power
Old 04-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was curious as to how much people have paid for maximas that they have purchased in the last year or so. Reason I ask is that I'm in the market for a 4th gen, and was wondering how much I should expect to pay (to be honest, I don't believe paying KBB is worth it, in almost all cases). Sorry if this isn't directly related, but I'm a noob org'er so I can't start my own post. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:45 PM

i dunno. i always wanted a truck or jeep and my dads friend was like yo, i've got this 92 maxi for 2800$. so i bought it, ran like a champ til i killed it. then i moved up to the 99. shes a beast.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:12 PM
faster than you think

i love the way they look and more for money
Old 04-10-2007, 01:48 PM

I bought my fist one actually because of the Top gun pigeon commercial.. i saw that commercial back in 95 and said to my wife i want that car as a joke.. but it stuck with me... then we were looking for a family car as we were starting a family and our Chevy corsica was finally giving out.. we saw a 96 maxima for sal at a local dealer and all i could remember about the car was that darn pigeon commercial.. so we went down and bought it.. loved it ever since and since being on the org..

We finally traded it in for a Dodge Magnum.. and then after being with out the Maxima for about a year i desided i wanted my maxima back.. Found a friend that was selling his 5speed.. and the rest is history..

we traded in the magnum a few months after i got the maxima for a Durango becuase the wife didnt like driving the RWD in the snow..
Old 04-16-2007, 08:45 PM

I got mind because for the price you get a full package speed, space, look, handling and alot of power with good tuning....
Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 PM

ever since my friend got one and my aunt had one i liked them and i love the power!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:06 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Never really cared for foreign cars, but when I saw a friends '92 black/black
4DSC. I went out and bought a '93 black/black-loaded 4DSC. Since I had it for 11 yrs. with no major problems, I decide to buy another.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:53 PM

Best bang for the buck.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:59 PM
max2moon17

i bought my maxima because i loved it since the year it came out, its a beautiful car, my dad bought it for me brand new for my birthday and its been my baby ever since. alot of people sleep on maximas thinking its slow, thats another reason why i got it.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:17 PM

I got a 94 se auto for my first car then got a mustang, but wanted a 5 speed maxima due to them being quick and I would get better mpg with the maxima, and I finally got one.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:28 PM

Reason: Totaled my 1st car, a 94 BMW 325i... for certain circumstances of the accident i did not claim insurance, parted the bimmer to my ability, had a suspended license for 1 year and as a sophomore college student wanted a cheap, reliable, fast, 4 door transportation with a manual tranny. Picked up a 96 SE 5 speed with 120k miles for $3800, and proceeded to spend another $7k afterwards modding/fixing the max till now.

bimmer

Old 04-17-2007, 08:42 PM

lets face it, it was everything i looked for and wanting in a car no one can run from there id!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got my 96 for $1,000. So I couldn't pass it up, also it's a reliable car.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:16 PM

got mine(97 black 5spd) from a buddy who was going to europ for the summer and needed money,it had no windows(due to a tornado). i picked it up for 1200 and spent 500 for new windows.
i baught it because my buddy had a 3rd gen with 4dsc stickers on the back and i thought that was pretty cool. the motor is solid and couldent bare to see it sit in a garage and not be beat up on by me,so i bought it. i keep braking it and fixing it and loving it.

oh yea,fidanza flywheel,oem clutch goodies,flowmaster exaust,aem cai and a new motor with around 60k on it