NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting! - Page 244 - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
Reload this Page >

NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!

Old 08-28-2018, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by skintigh View Post
I had pretty much the entire front suspension replaced this winter, and now it squeaks like CRAZY. I'm talking non-stop squeaksqueaksqueaksqueaksqueak over every crack and pothole, which is pretty much 100% of the pavement around here. Should I crawl under there with WD-40 and spray everything? Go back to the shop? It looks like I have to sell this car for about half what I spend on the suspension so I'd rather not put any more money into it...
Thanks.
Any part that moves could be squeaking, so there are no doubt a lot of possibilities. Any part that is in a bushing such as the sway bar could squeak.

Can you press on the fender and bounce the car to get a noise? That would help to isolate the problem.

Also, do not use WD40. It is not an oil. It is chemicals that will penetrate rust and corrosion and then evaporate, leaving you where you started. Use Liquid wrench or similar.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik View Post
Any part that moves could be squeaking, so there are no doubt a lot of possibilities. Any part that is in a bushing such as the sway bar could squeak.

Can you press on the fender and bounce the car to get a noise? That would help to isolate the problem.

Also, do not use WD40. It is not an oil. It is chemicals that will penetrate rust and corrosion and then evaporate, leaving you where you started. Use Liquid wrench or similar.
Good call on the test. I thought it was coming from everywhere, but only the front driver side squeaks. It only takes the lightest pressure with one hand to make it squeak.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

99 no start issue

Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
Since people with less than 15 posts cannot start their own thread, but MIGHT have a legitimate question, I am opening another thread for noobie questions.

First off, I will answer a few general questions:

Q: Why can't I start a new thread?
A: http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=413179

Q: Why can't I search maxima.org?
A: You can't see the search button dummy.

With that out of the way...

This thread is for the new members so that they are able to post a LEGITIMATE question. It can be ANYTHING that is 4th generation related and NOT covered in the existing sticky threads. If we think it is important, we will either answer or make it into its own thread. If not, I will delete it.

This is only for LEGIT 4th Gen questions that may be specific to one user.

SPAM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

This is for noobs only and will be open only as long as I feel like maintaining it.

ALL RESPONSES MUST BE A QUOTE OF THE ORIGINAL QUESTION!
New questions, obviously, need not have any quotes.

Postwhoring will not be tolerated!
-If you get an answer to your question, please move along.
-If you have a followup, by all means, post it.
-No posts to say "Thanks!" (We don't need 10,000 posts thanking someone for helping them out.)
-No posting "I want to know that, too."
-Incorrect answers or answers that are just plain annoying will be removed.

All of these will be deleted. If it gets bad enough, I will just ban you.

Here are some links that will also be helpful:
4th gen FAQs (READ ME! PLEASE! READ ME!):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=72447

If you are having mechanical problems (INCLUDING a "Check Engine" light), this thread is a GREAT place to start:
http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=512892

All other sticky threads have answers to common questions, information about common modifications, and other generally good info. I took a week and re-organized it. I did not do this for my own benefit- I don't even OWN a 4th gen.

One more reminder: THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR SEARCHING!!!
Hello, I have been in the Maxima game for a long time just havent posted in about 15 years. Anyways just bout a 99 and it cranks over but no spark and the security light comes on while cranking. The previous owner said the computer went bad. I see this car does have key sense so my question is what ECU do I need to get? I take is a nonkey sense computer will not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-23-2018, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2DAMAX98 View Post
Hello, I have been in the Maxima game for a long time just havent posted in about 15 years. Anyways just bout a 99 and it cranks over but no spark and the security light comes on while cranking. The previous owner said the computer went bad. I see this car does have key sense so my question is what ECU do I need to get? I take is a nonkey sense computer will not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
If the security light is on while cranking, then the NATS security system has been triggered. When this happens, the ECU does not fire the fuel injectors. You can spray starting fluid and the engine will catch and run as long as you are spraying because NATS does not kill the spark. If you don't have spark, you have 2 problems.

The ECU probably is OK because the NATS security has its own modules. They are in the steering wheel by the ignition switch. Also, the 1999 was the first year to have the chipped key and it was a bit flakey. If you read the posts about this, the 99 will blow the programming and needs to have the keys re-programmed and then the car starts.

Without having the Nissan Consult diagnostic tool, anything you do/replace is guesswork.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This was kind of a funny story. A friend buy this Maxima after alittle perseding on my part. The owner said a Nissan dealer told him the ECM was bad but not before putting in all new injectors, coil packs and crank sensors. I had a spare ECM for a 98 so figured we could get it cheap, through in the ECM and off he goes. The car was listed as a 98 and we got it for $300 but once we towed it home I realized it was a 99 with chip in key and that was probably what was preventing it from starting. After alittle checking I know I had fuel pressure, signal to all the injectors and all the coil packs so why wasnt it starting. Well if I have signal coming from the ECM I would still need ground to complete the circuit and make things work. I found that the grounds on the front of the intake were more then loose. I tightened then and it fired right up after sitting for over a year, SCORE!!! Car runs and drives great with ice cold AC. This is going to be his 16 yo daughters first car. Couldnt be more thrilled. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

3.5 swap queation

I know there have been a million 3.5 swap posts but I havent been able to find any saying if a 09-14 VQ35 can be used. All I see are guys using older VQ35 but most of those posts were created long before that. So does anyone know or can direct me in the right direction. I have a chance to get a VQ35 out of a 2010 Murano with only 30,000 miles for $500, so if it will work I really want to get it.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

4th Gen sunroofs

One more question, I have a 95 Maxima that the sunroof trim/seal is basically gone. I see that you cant buy just the trim. I also see that the glass, including the trim/seal have different part numbers for 95-96 and the 97-99. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two? Can I use a newer glass on an older one? Plus help as the 95-96 sunroof glass seems to be quite rear around here. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey folks! My 4th gen 1995 Maxima came without a spare tire! Will other models and years bolt up to my hubs? If so, which ones? Also, I just had to replace one of the coils on the front bank. The old one had male tangs that were just a tad offset, while the new one had the tangs in the center of the recess. I was able to plug the new one in, but I didnt force it on so it is not on there securely. It does seem to run ok and no longer has the dead miss. Any help on these would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

Last edited by emjee; 10-09-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by emjee View Post
Hey folks! My 4th gen 1995 Maxima came without a spare tire! Will other models and years bolt up to my hubs? If so, which ones? Also, I just had to replace one of the coils on the front bank. The old one had male tangs that were just a tad offset, while the new one had the tangs in the center of the recess. I was able to plug the new one in, but I didnt force it on so it is not on there securely. It does seem to run ok and no longer has the dead miss. Any help on these would be greatly appreciated Thanks!
I would just search for a local junkyard with 4th gen or an Infiniti I30, but any 5 lug Nissan/Infiniti should fit fine

The wheel info is: 5 lug 4.5 inch or 114.3mm High Positive Offset according to the internet

As for the coil pack that you replaced, I would try to make sure it snapped back together, but that's me..tape at the least

Last edited by Fakie J Farkerton; 10-09-2018 at 03:59 PM.