4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!

Old 11-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Starter not engaging flywheel.

Hi all,

I am new to these forums and have really enjoyed reading here so far.
I have a -95 maxima with manual transmission. I'm not very experienced with cars but since the car is so old and everything here in Sweden is so expensive I've decided not to tow the car to a mechanic....yet.

4 years ago, the starter was replaced after it died, and i got a used one installed at the local mechanic. Now, the last 4 weeks my maxima has been harder and harder to start, and one day it ended up with a "crank/no start" condition. When trying to crank it, finally it slowed down even more and I had a "no crank"-condition. WHen turning the key, I just heard the starter solenoid popping.

I checked the battery, which was ok. Also, jump starting did not work (due to limited space no possibilities to push start). Then I decided to remove my starter. I wired it to my battery and verified that the solenoid was working, but the starter itself was not turning. I went to a starter rebuilder who fixed it, and now both the starter and the solenoid are functioning normally.

I then rebuilt the starter into the car. When trying to connect the cables to the battery current was flowing and sparks flew between the battery and cables. Knowing that something was wrong, I checked on the starter again. I noticed that the mechanic had mixed up the wire to the starter from the solenoid and put it on the wrong bolt, whereby I of course cause a short circuit. Then I changed the wire to the starter, so that it is now on the right bolt.

Now when turning the key, the starter is indeed spinning lively! However, it is not engaging the flywheel. So now I am stuck. When applying 12 V directly to the solenoid it works! I am wondering if my short-circuit has caused some relay problem somewhere. But then the starter itself shpuldn't be spinning. Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks in advance,
M
Old 11-26-2014, 02:35 PM

Well I finally made it to the end of this thread. Ive read all 9321 posts which took me a month and have not seen this question. My question is what is this plug for? I'm thinking its for a phone. the picture is of a plug under the cup holder and by looking at diagrams in my fsm hard copy I came up with the phone idea but not sure. I'm going to hit it with a multimeter after I post this.
Car is a 97 SE with the S&C package with sunroof,also it has 8 way seat on passenger side. Is that normal or a special order thing? EDIT:automatic car

Last edited by Icemule; 11-26-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

3.5 swap

I was wondering about the cam spacers for the 3.5 swap. I'm not new to cars but new to this swap. I'm trying to get the motor in before the end of December. I need a fast option. So far I know of two options. One involves tillys 99 drilling the cams and the other is Stephen max and his cam adapters. I also know jwt sells cam spacers. I have 350z heads for the swap with the cams. I'm gonna do a 3.3 stroker setup since I don't have the proper block. I'm wondering if there's any other options to adapt the cams to the 3.0 liter timing.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Icemule
Well I finally made it to the end of this thread. Ive read all 9321 posts which took me a month and have not seen this question. My question is what is this plug for? I'm thinking its for a phone. the picture is of a plug under the cup holder and by looking at diagrams in my fsm hard copy I came up with the phone idea but not sure. I'm going to hit it with a multimeter after I post this.
Car is a 97 SE with the S&C package with sunroof,also it has 8 way seat on passenger side. Is that normal or a special order thing?
Your read this entire thread??? You are a glutton for punishment.

Is your car a manual trans? That could be connector M62 for the auto trans shifter.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Your read this entire thread??? You are a glutton for punishment.

Is your car a manual trans? That could be connector M62 for the auto trans shifter.
Yes it was rough at times going through it all, but the car is an auto. I went out and put the multimeter on it and two wires where grounds and one wire was 12v with key off and the other wire had power when key was turned to acc.

If you look at page el-139 in the 97 fsm I think that is the plug. I hope it doesn't go to anything so i can use it for a power source for a dvd player or something.

From reading all the posts I remember posts about a phone option on these cars so I looked it up in the fsm but would like confirmation from one of the gurus here. thx.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:41 AM

Yes it was rough at times going through it all, but the car is an auto. I went out and put the multimeter on it and two wires where grounds and one wire was 12v with key off and the other wire had power when key was turned to acc.

If you look at page el-139 in the 97 fsm I think that is the plug. I hope it doesn't go to anything so i can use it for a power source for a dvd player or something.

From reading all the posts I remember posts about a phone option on these cars so I looked it up in the fsm but would like confirmation from one of the gurus here. thx.
Interesting find.

From a Nissan historical perspective, the early Q45s came pre-wired for analog cell phones. There was a coax cable that extended from the center console to an area below the rear package shelf for connecting a trunk mount antenna. There is a dash mounted microphone that came as standard equipment. The idea was for the driver to speak into the dash to keep both hands on the steering wheel while driving. The call was broadcast over the car's stereo system. The stock radios came with a din connection for connecting to the cell phone. Seems funny to have seen someone in the early 1990s driving along in their car having a conversation with the dashboard.

Last edited by CS_AR; 11-27-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:05 AM

I don't think that is the plug for a phone. The wiring diagram on EL-139 shows 3 wires with +12 volts and 1 wire for ground. Confirm this by comparing the wire colors on the connector to the wiring diagram for the phone:

pin 1 - yellow/green stripe - 12 volts from 7.5 amp fuse # 36 with ignition on.
pin 2 - solid green - 12 volts from 7.5 amp fuse # 28 with ignition on.
pin 3 - solid yellow - 12 volts from 10 amp fuse # 24 all the time
pin 4 - solid black - ground.

Regardless of what the connector is supposed to be for, you could use it for a DVD player or anything as long as you don't overload the fuse. While you may be hooking up to an unused connector, the fuse associated with the connector probably also powers other things in the car. Nissan has very few fuses that are dedicated to only one thing.

If that connector were to be the phone connector, you would have hit the jackpot as the 3 fuses for the phone are not shared. But again, I don't think that is the phone connector, at least based on your voltmeter readings.

You could have a missing or blown fuse for the phone that would account for a wire not having 12 volts on it. But you also need to verify that what you are assuming is ground really is. You would have to do a continuity test on the wire between it and chassis ground.

My earlier guess that the connector was M62 for the auto trans selector mechanism is wrong. M62 is a 6 wire connector. I was thinking that it might be connector B12 for the passenger side heated seat switch, but that connector only has one 12 volt wire going to it.

Last edited by DennisMik; 11-27-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:39 PM

I don't think that is the plug for a phone. The wiring diagram on EL-139 shows 3 wires with +12 volts and 1 wire for ground. Confirm this by comparing the wire colors on the connector to the wiring diagram for the phone:

pin 1 - yellow/green stripe - 12 volts from 7.5 amp fuse # 36 with ignition on.
pin 2 - solid green - 12 volts from 7.5 amp fuse # 28 with ignition on.
pin 3 - solid yellow - 12 volts from 10 amp fuse # 24 all the time
pin 4 - solid black - ground.

Regardless of what the connector is supposed to be for, you could use it for a DVD player or anything as long as you don't overload the fuse. While you may be hooking up to an unused connector, the fuse associated with the connector probably also powers other things in the car. Nissan has very few fuses that are dedicated to only one thing.

If that connector were to be the phone connector, you would have hit the jackpot as the 3 fuses for the phone are not shared. But again, I don't think that is the phone connector, at least based on your voltmeter readings.

You could have a missing or blown fuse for the phone that would account for a wire not having 12 volts on it. But you also need to verify that what you are assuming is ground really is. You would have to do a continuity test on the wire between it and chassis ground.

My earlier guess that the connector was M62 for the auto trans selector mechanism is wrong. M62 is a 6 wire connector. I was thinking that it might be connector B12 for the passenger side heated seat switch, but that connector only has one 12 volt wire going to it.
OK. I went out in daylight to test it all,it was late last night and the wife had the night off and was in a good mood

Here is what i got with key OFF
top is y&bl---Y-12.45-B-0
bottom gr&y/g---G-0.0-Y/G-0.4

key on ACC
top is ---Y-12.80-B-0
bottom---G-12.00-Y/G-12.06

car running
top is---Y-13.9-B-0
bottom---G-14.0-Y/G-14.0

I never noticed that green stripe on the yellow wire until i looked at the macro photo I took so im pretty sure the plug is for the phone.This car is a little wierd also as it has an 8 way seat on the pass. side. has anyone ever heard of that as an option or something. wish they where heated.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:22 PM

Is your 97 a GLE and did it come with Nissan's Integrated Homelink Transmitter? This feature allows the driver to operate up to three different radio-controlled devices -- garage doors, house lights, TV sets -- from the sunvisor-mounted controls.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:59 AM

it was late last night and the wife had the night off and was in a good mood
You dog!

Here is what i got with key OFF
top is y&bl---Y-12.45-B-0
bottom gr&y/g---G-0.0-Y/G-0.4

key on ACC
top is ---Y-12.80-B-0
bottom---G-12.00-Y/G-12.06

car running
top is---Y-13.9-B-0
bottom---G-14.0-Y/G-14.0

I never noticed that green stripe on the yellow wire until i looked at the macro photo I took so im pretty sure the plug is for the phone.
With the wire colors matching, I would say that is the phone connector. The only other way I can think of for verifying this would be to pull out one of the fuses and see if the wire looses the voltage. But the wire color combination isn't going to be on any other connector

This car is a little wierd also as it has an 8 way seat on the pass. side. has anyone ever heard of that as an option or something. wish they where heated.
I don't know what an 8 way power seat would be. You have the front to back, the the up and down tilting and the seat back reclining. That is either 3 functions or 6 way, however you want to look at it. What would the other functions be?

As CS_AR asked, it the car a GLE model? The gle came standard with both driver and passenger seats powered. But your car only has one??? You can find a lot of threads from people asking if they can put a seat from some other car into their Maxima. I don't know if the Infiniti seats would have more functions or not. Does the shape of the driver and passenger seats match each other? If not, all I can say is that one of the seats is not 4th gen Maxima.

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Is your 97 a GLE and did it come with Nissan's Integrated Homelink Transmitter? This feature allows the driver to operate up to three different radio-controlled devices -- garage doors, house lights, TV sets -- from the sunvisor-mounted controls.
This Homelink stuff has me a little confused. My 2000 Max has it. I got a new garage door opener that uses Homelink and I couldn't get it to work from my car. I called the opener manufacturer and one of the first questions they asked me was if my car was older than a 2009 (i think), that the Homelink protocol was upgraded.

Other people here on the org call BS on that. Do you know anything about the subject?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 AM

Dennis where I was headed with the question is I was checking to see if Icemule has a GLE that is feature loaded "full tilt" like an I30.

This morning I checked my I30 and realized it has Homelink. I pushed the buttons and they make a little light display. Though I don't have an electric garage door opener to try it. Also, I pulled the cup holders and from what I can see there seems to be similar colored wires underneath some type of plastic shield that is between the cup holder and the carpet. The I30 has a fuse in place for phone and some other "whistle and bell" fuses that I should research.

Just noticing Icemule's location on the I-85 corridor between Charlotte and Atlanta, and the proximity to the Nissan East Coast Parts Distribution center in Greenville, I've noticed Infiniti models from the area come loaded to the hilt. It seems more Infiniti vehicles were sold with "full active suspension" (e.g. $5,500 optioned Q45a) in that area than the rest of the country.

It would be interesting to see some of the other options came on Icemule's 4th gen.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:42 AM

My 97 Maxima homelink doesn't support rolling codes.

Works on a garage door opener from '85 though.
Just not the other opener that's a 2005 model garage door.

Best I know.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

....I don't know what an 8 way power seat would be. You have the front to back, the the up and down tilting and the seat back reclining. That is either 3 functions or 6 way, however you want to look at it. What would the other functions be?
Yes you do. You have the front to back, the up and down tilting of the front of the seat, the up and down tilting of the back of the seat, and the seat back reclining. 8 ways

As CS_AR asked, it the car a GLE model? The gle came standard with both driver and passenger seats powered. But your car only has one??? You can find a lot of threads from people asking if they can put a seat from some other car into their Maxima. I don't know if the Infiniti seats would have more functions or not. Does the shape of the driver and passenger seats match each other? If not, all I can say is that one of the seats is not 4th gen Maxima.

Fully loaded SEs are pretty much identical to GLEs when it comes to luxury. In fact, I would venture to say that the fully loaded SE was THE premier maxima model, then Nissan made other cookie cutter versions, like the luxury GLE and the base GXE.

I have the 97 and 98 brochures (but don't have them near with me right now) but I found that a fully optioned out SE costs more than a fully optioned GLE. Maxima SE was unique.

I have a 98 I30t 5MT now and have yet to find anything different from my previous fully optioned 98 Max SE 5MT. Well, no white gages or body color door handles, but you get the idea.

As to what that plug was for, why not heated seats?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:10 PM

This Homelink stuff has me a little confused. My 2000 Max has it. I got a new garage door opener that uses Homelink and I couldn't get it to work from my car. I called the opener manufacturer and one of the first questions they asked me was if my car was older than a 2009 (i think), that the Homelink protocol was upgraded.

Other people here on the org call BS on that. Do you know anything about the subject?
Originally Posted by CS_AR
Dennis where I was headed with the question is I was checking to see if Icemule has a GLE that is feature loaded "full tilt" like an I30.

This morning I checked my I30 and realized it has Homelink. I pushed the buttons and they make a little light display. Though I don't have an electric garage door opener to try it.
My question about Homelink was for my own benefit, had nothing to do with the op's problem. I was trying to find out if there was a revision to the Homelink protocol like I was told by the garage door opener people or whether they were blowing me off.

Fakie may have confirmed it when he brought up the rolling codes thing. I remember that being touted as a theft prevention type of feature.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:16 PM

I don't know what an 8 way power seat would be. You have the front to back, the the up and down tilting and the seat back reclining. That is either 3 functions or 6 way, however you want to look at it. What would the other functions be?
Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Yes you do. You have the front to back, the up and down tilting of the front of the seat, the up and down tilting of the back of the seat, and the seat back reclining. 8 ways
Thanks. When you describe it, it ends up being the way I think. I am treating the front edge tilt and the back edge tilt as one. My bad.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:18 PM

You dog!

With the wire colors matching, I would say that is the phone connector. The only other way I can think of for verifying this would be to pull out one of the fuses and see if the wire looses the voltage. But the wire color combination isn't going to be on any other connector

I will run all this down as best I can.

1. First comment: Hey I love my Maxima but when your 51 you take it when you can get it, you young guys need to remember that.
2. It is the phone connector. I looked at 97 fsm El-139,everything matches that.

3. There might be some confusion here,both front seats are powered but I THOUGHT the passenger seat was 8 way instead of a 4 way seat but I went out and looked at the seat and it is a 4 way seat. It has the same ***** as the 8 way but doesn't tilt seat back or tilt the seat where you sit. I never sit in that seat and it had the same number of ***** so I just assumed...

4. As for the 8 way seat, look at the link and photo of ***** and count the actions the seat does. I was like you as I only counted 6 in my mind.
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...xima-press-kit

scroll down to this section: Standard Equipment/Optional Features and Packages

5. I do have the homelink with sunroof as I have a 97 SE. Go to this link and look at post #6. I hope that helps you:
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ork-right.html

Will put photos of seat *****,fsm seat wiring diagram in next post as I can't fit it all here. Plus I will post photo of un-used factory plug to hook up a self dimming mirror.

Last edited by Icemule; 11-28-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 11-28-2014, 06:59 PM

Here are the photos.
As you can see by the ***** there are 8 actions. As for the last photo that is the factory plug for a self dimming mirror. I came across a video of some stoner kids busting a load on how they found that and he pluged the mirror in and operated it. Pull your map light out and look in the back and it should look like mine wrapped in blue tape. Will provide link to video if I can find it again. I don't see any mention of it in fsm,but I believe the i30& maxima shared the same platform,I also have stock connecter for heated/low wiper fluid and got the part to put in reservoir at j/y for 3 bucks. If anyone else has this mirror plug let me/us know. I'm a noob so maybe this is already known but I thought I'd throw it out there. I'm going to put one on my car for sure but all the ones I've found hook to the windshield but my stock mirror hooks to roof. Is there a model with dimming mirror that hooks to roof? If not I will put it on the windshield but it looks tacky in all the cars I've seen it in at the j/y as they just have a plastic doodad covering the wires,which would be fine but they also have a black tint patch with holes to hide it from outside view. Sorry for long post and thanks to everyone for helping me on the mystery wire.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:33 PM

Use photobucket to upload and link the pics to here. Your pics aren't working.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Yeah the i30 and maxima are twins.

You should look in the junkyards for i30 auto dimming mirrors, like mine

I think you have a unique 4th gen maxima SE. I have never heard of them having the auto dimming mirror. Plus that phone jack. Yours is really fully loaded to the maximum lol.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:53 PM

Yeah the i30 and maxima are twins.

You should look in the junkyards for i30 auto dimming mirrors, like mine

I think you have a unique 4th gen maxima SE. I have never heard of them having the auto dimming mirror. Plus that phone jack. Yours is really fully loaded to the maximum lol.
yeah it's crazy, but good I also have the plug for low wiper fluid and got the sensor at the j/y but have not put it in yet. to cold and rainy the last couple weeks. Ive seen plenty of the mirrors at the j/y but none that attach to the roof,they have all been attached to the windshield. Is that how yours is?
Old 11-28-2014, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Use photobucket to upload and link the pics to here. Your pics aren't working.
Really? Hmmm. I uploaded them to this site and I can see them. I hope what your saying isn't true as I spent a lot of time doing all that stuff for that post

I'm going to come here on my wifes computer and look. Other pics ive posted people could see. There in my introduction thread.

Yeah your right. Damn! I guess I'll sign up for photobucket and repost them. Thxs

Last edited by Icemule; 11-28-2014 at 11:26 PM. Reason: i'm an idiot
Old 11-28-2014, 11:38 PM

..... none that attach to the roof,they have all been attached to the windshield. Is that how yours is?
it's exactly like yours, maybe a bit bigger, and auto dimming.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:39 PM

Here they are & hope it works

Name:  carseat007.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  42.4 KBName:  carseat002.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  49.2 KBName:  carseat008.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  53.0 KB
Old 11-28-2014, 11:47 PM

it's exactly like yours, maybe a bit bigger, and auto dimming.
I just posted the pic of the plug. have not installed it yet. Man those pics I posted are huge or at least they look that way to me. I hope they did post. I thought the first one did but they didn't, so plz tell me they are showing and there not as huge as they are showing on my screen to tired to fire up wifes computer a second time as it is sloooow. Here is the pic of the phone plug.Name:  789022.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  61.1 KB

Last edited by Icemule; 11-28-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:43 AM

The pics are not that bad. They're just ginormous
Old 11-29-2014, 09:24 AM

Hey I love my Maxima but when your 51 you take it when you can get it, you young guys need to remember that.
You have a few whiskers on some of these guys, but my kids are almost as old as you.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:16 PM

You have a few whiskers on some of these guys, but my kids are almost as old as you.
Wow! So when it says senior member under your name it means your old and not a long time member
Just kidding. Did that link i put up help you on your home link?

As for the pics I guess I better dial it down from 14mp to say 5mp on my camera as I don't want to make the maxima gods angry at me. For some reason I thought the site resized them.

Also how do you take one quote out of multiple quotes in a post to use in another post? I assume you click QUOTE and just delete the other stuff in the quote,but was wondering if there was a short cut.

Going to j/y to get my dimming mirror 0n the 3rd but still want to know if any nissan models have a dimmer that attaches to the roof instead of the glass.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:10 PM

Wow! So when it says senior member under your name it means your old and not a long time member Just kidding.
You sure got that wrong! If that denoted age, mine should say "Old Fart". The term Senior just means that you've posted a bunch of times. Maybe 250?

Did that link i put up help you on your home link?
The link helped because it told me that others have encountered the same thing I did. So thanks. But that link added another slight question as to the timing of changes to Homelink. I'm curious, but not curious enough to put in the time and effort to research the history of the Homelink protocol.

As for the pics I guess I better dial it down from 14mp to say 5mp on my camera as I don't want to make the maxima gods angry at me. For some reason I thought the site resized them.
If you create a photo album here on Maxima.org, it will automatically reduce your photos to 600 x 600 pixels maximum. You can have multiple albums but you are limited to a total of 200 photos. I found that out the hard way. I have a Photobucket account and I reduce my photos to 800 x 800 pixels for that. That is not a Photobucket requirement, I do it for the size of the photo it creates.

Also how do you take one quote out of multiple quotes in a post to use in another post? I assume you click QUOTE and just delete the other stuff in the quote,but was wondering if there was a short cut.
If there is another way, I don't know about it. It isn't that hard to delete. But to divide one big quote into multiple quotes like I have done here requires a little more effort. But not much. You have to copy & paste the beginning and ending quote commands so that each paragraph has a beginning and an ending command. The square brackets that enclose the commands are mandatory. Since the square bracket has a special meaning to the forum software, you cannot use it in a message that you type.

Going to j/y to get my dimming mirror 0n the 3rd but still want to know if any nissan models have a dimmer that attaches to the roof instead of the glass.
I don't think so.

Last edited by DennisMik; 11-29-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:09 PM

The link helped because it told me that others have encountered the same thing I did. So thanks. But that link added another slight question as to the timing of changes to Homelink. I'm curious, but not curious enough to put in the time and effort to research the history of the Homelink protocol.
Ive been trying to figure a hack for that homelink like having it turn on an outside light as its very dark at night where i live or to turn on the dvd player i want to install. Want to put player in trunk then be able to turn it on while driving. Do you have an insight on this or able to point me in the right direction as I have looked every where with no luck.

If you create a photo album here on Maxima.org, it will automatically reduce your photos to 600 x 600 pixels maximum. You can have multiple albums but you are limited to a total of 200 photos. I found that out the hard way. I have a Photobucket account and I reduce my photos to 800 x 800 pixels for that. That is not a Photobucket requirement, I do it for the size of the photo it creates.
This one I don't get. And by that I mean I thought I was loading pics to the site. I was doing it by clicking on manage attachments and uploaded pics and theres a box that pops up to do that and shows what you have uploaded, I then clicked on the attachment and after it opened I copied the url and posted it in the pop up box. Thought I was good as I could see them on my computer but that other guru said my links where bad. So I will use the albums from now on. looked at yours and they looked great with the high lighted items.

If there is another way, I don't know about it. It isn't that hard to delete. But to divide one big quote into multiple quotes like I have done here requires a little more effort. But not much. You have to copy & paste the beginning and ending quote commands so that each paragraph has a beginning and an ending command. The square brackets that enclose the commands are mandatory. Since the square bracket has a special meaning to the forum software, you cannot use it in a message that you type.
Well I'm trying it now, hope it works. You have been very helpful and patient and I thank you for that. I'm in preview and it looks good so here we go. Pressing sub...
Old 12-01-2014, 04:14 AM

....Going to j/y to get my dimming mirror 0n the 3rd but still want to know if any nissan models have a dimmer that attaches to the roof instead of the glass.
Not sure what you are looking for, but the I30 auto dimming mirror mounts to the roof, just like yours. The dimming sensor is on the back side of the mirror looking out to the front of the car. I think that is what you want but
Old 12-01-2014, 10:06 AM

Not sure what you are looking for, but the I30 auto dimming mirror mounts to the roof, just like yours. The dimming sensor is on the back side of the mirror looking out to the front of the car. I think that is what you want but
That's exactly what I'm looking for. In a previous post I talk about the young kid who discovers the factory plug for the dimming mirror hiding up in the map light hole, and I wish I had that video, but lost it in my bookmarks when a Firefox upgrade went bad and I lost all bookmarks.

But if I remember right the mirror he was holding (he had not installed it but was just demonstrating it hooked to the plug) looked like the kind that attached to the roof like you mentioned and that's why I passed on all the ones I saw.

I found the video and just like you said it fits the roof. but I did noticed it looked like he had to cut the headliner open and there where mounting holes for it as the base of the mirror looks way bigger then my stock one. I'm going to go out and check on that.

Here is the link to the video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3LdFqlPuqg

I was the first person to comment on that video in 4yrs.

This is good news as I want one of them big time as these bright lights on cars these days really hurts my already bad night time vision.

Last edited by Icemule; 12-01-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you so much Fakie J Farkerton, DennisMik, and

[QUOTE=dwapenyi;9002048] thousand.

eslau, my car is pretty much the same as yours, and with regular maintenance I expect to see 400K+ miles from the engine and body, all from regular maintenance. Keep your oil changes regular with the factory recommended 5W30 or 10W30, the timing chain lubrication and tensioners depend significantly on that.
Like previously suggested check/replace your FPR and also ECT, engine coolant temp sensor, for your cold start troubles. If you have never replaced your FPR before, just replace it. It's 17 years old and done.

I checked the FPR by unplugging the connecting hose and waited for some liquid to drip, but it did not. It there another way I am able to check? I'll be sure to go back to the dealer for an oil change from now on.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Over heating

Ok, so my car use to over heat when I was going over 75mph! So I changed the thermastat last weekend also there was a new water pump put in last year. No coolant leaking in the oil. But I still over hear only now I'll over heat after driving around for a hour at like 45mph. I flushed radiator out clean. Im about to go buy a new raditor tomorrow. Also I can not get my ac or heat to work they only come on when they want to any ideas please?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by eslau
I checked the FPR by unplugging the connecting hose and waited for some liquid to drip, but it did not. It there another way I am able to check? I'll be sure to go back to the dealer for an oil change from now on.
I never bothered to figure out how to test it. I just figured since it's a moving part that's nearly 17 years old just replace it.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Newmaxima2014
Ok, so my car use to over heat when I was going over 75mph! So I changed the thermastat last weekend also there was a new water pump put in last year. No coolant leaking in the oil. But I still over hear only now I'll over heat after driving around for a hour at like 45mph. I flushed radiator out clean. Im about to go buy a new raditor tomorrow. Also I can not get my ac or heat to work they only come on when they want to any ideas please?
You probably have a combination of 2 things.

One hose hot and one hose cold indicates a thermostat that isn't opening up. On these cars, only use a Nissan thermostat. All other brands have a tendency to not work properly.

Another thing is that these cars tend to trap air in the engine. You need to either park the car on an incline with the nose up or get the car on some ramps so that the nose is up. Then run the engine with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens up and the air pockets burble out. Be careful because the air will shoot coolant out the open filler neck if the radiator is real full. Once the air is out, fill the radiator completely and put the cap on.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What color is the light behind the 'AIR BAG' light supposed to be?

I recently purchased a '98 Maxima, and I can't get it to pass inspection due to my air bag light "not functioning properly" (as per the inspector).

Here's how it currently works: When I turn the key to the 'ON' position, it does not light up at all. When the car is started, it does not light up at all.
It lights up a dim yellow when the dashboard lights and/or headlights are turned on, regardless of what position the ignition is in.

The inspector said he thought it was supposed to be red, and i've been unable to locate its color searching google. This is important because I'm trying to determine if the light was taken out/busted, and if it is replaceable.

Any other related troubleshooting tips would be awesome, but i really need to know what color this darn thing is supposed to be.

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 12-26-2014, 02:26 PM

The various warning (idiot) lights are supposed to light up when the key is first turned to the ON position. Some will go off after a few seconds, some stay on until you start the engine. This is a light bulb test built into the instrument cluster.

I can't remember what color the light is supposed to be. But because you have a faint yellow illumination when the dash lights are on, I suspect that the color is yellow because Nissan does not use colored light bulbs. I also think that maybe the light bulb and its twist in socket is missing because of that glow and light from the dash light bulbs is "bleeding" into the air bag opening.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:41 PM

^^ +1

If the problem persists, an auto parts store with a decent code reader should be able to get a reading to determine whether any of the SRS components are throwing a code. Parts stores typically will read codes if a light appears to be on. There are SRS component connecting plugs that connect to the SRS wiring harness to the SRSCU that is located under the center console arm rest.

Check out the bottom of Page 26 in the following FSM (RS Section) manual provides a manual reset procedure to switch the SRS system from User Mode to Diagnostics mode. Some people have been able to manually reset the system between user and test mode to get codes to clear up.

Link to RS section below.

http://www.boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1998/RS.pdf

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-26-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:16 AM

That's correct the airbag light is red and your airbag system is definitely experiencing some sort of malfunction. You need to remove the instrument cluster to start diagnosing. The actual airbag computer is buried under the center console towards the back.

There are 2 types of airbag computers. They are the same shape except one has 2 plug connectors as opposed to the standard one. The 2 plug version controls the airbags in the seats as well as the steering and glovebox airbag.

Last edited by dwapenyi; 12-27-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

More 'AIR BAG' Light Problem Info

Ok, first of all, thank you everybody for your help! Much thanks to "CS AR" for that RS.pdf file, and "dwapenyi" for the proper color information!

My display is a little different that it appears to be in the RS though.

I used the attachment button and uploaded 2 photos to my attachments: image #6001 on the left shows what my display looks like, and image #5999 on the right shows a close-up of directly underneath the thin flap that has the numbers for the speedometer on it. The transluecent 'AIR BAG' letters are directly above the digital odometer in the second pic.

It is no wonder why I see the 'AIR BAG' letters illuminated when the dash lights come on, there is nothing underneath there to stop the light. It doesn't have its own bulb either. There was evidence of this assembly being taken out before; missing screws and scratches on several clips and tabs. Think the bulb and socket may have been ripped out?

Any idea as to what part(s) I would need to order to get this working again?

*Also, I took out lots of trim and took enough of the dash and center console apart to lay eyes on all the modules. They all appear in-tact and connected, with one exception. There are supposedly SRS connectors under both seats according to something i read somewhere. The passenger side seat's connector that is ziptied to the seat isn't connected to anything. On the driver side, the 'missing connector' (when compared to the pass side) runs to what looks like inside of the seat cushion along the outside edge.

Are these the connectors to the 'Side Airbags'?

The key doesn't match the passenger door, and there are signs of an impact located around the passenger tire wheel well. I think what might have happened here is: it was in an accident, the side airbag deployed, the door was replaced, and a new airbag was never installed, causing the airbag light to be on, leading to it being removed instead of fixed properly.
Attached Thumbnails NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!-img_0601.jpg   NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!-img_0599.jpg  

Last edited by caseyosullivan; 12-28-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!