4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

hazard + Rear Defrost switch bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:10 AM

hazard + Rear Defrost switch bulb?

Does anyone remember there was a thread awhile back stating if you have burnt bulbs in your hazard or rear defrost switch and don't want to do the LED mod, you can buy the bulbs at Radio shack AKA the source to fix it..

does anyone remember what size bulbs I need?

thanks

l<L
Old 05-10-2007, 06:45 PM

no one? c'mon, someone must remember?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Kevlo for President

I dont think there is? It is a TINY bulb, I would say maybe a 24 or 74 in size, but it would be near impossible to curve the spokes back in the rubber oem housing. I think you would have to solder, and if you are gonna solder, you might as well do LEDs.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
I dont think there is? It is a TINY bulb, I would say maybe a 24 or 74 in size, but it would be near impossible to curve the spokes back in the rubber oem housing. I think you would have to solder, and if you are gonna solder, you might as well do LEDs.

Thanks for the input Kevlo911, soldering isn't a problem for me. the only thing is, if I solder LED's into those switches, to match everything up, I would have to install LED's into everything else.. hahaha I want to keep it looking stock..

Hmm, dilemma!
Old 05-11-2007, 06:31 AM

the button is only like $20. i broke my rear defrost right at the begining of winter and had to buy a new one.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by Digitized
Thanks for the input Kevlo911, soldering isn't a problem for me. the only thing is, if I solder LED's into those switches, to match everything up, I would have to install LED's into everything else.. hahaha I want to keep it looking stock..

Hmm, dilemma!

Get white and red then. Red LED for the hazard and use white for the defroster.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by willard00
the button is only like $20. i broke my rear defrost right at the begining of winter and had to buy a new one.

I know, but the thing is, the switch still works..it's only the little bulb inside..
I ain't gonna spend $40 for switches just because the bulb is burnt..
Old 05-11-2007, 07:30 AM

Get white and red then. Red LED for the hazard and use white for the defroster.

yes I guess that's the best alternative..
yay, let's play with resistors and led's..

Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 AM

Wouldn't the dealer have its bulbs? Or at least the whole switch assembly...or take your chances with the junk yard
Old 05-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Fast & Furry-ous

Radio Shack #272-1092 $1.49 a pair.
It's actually the perfect size for the button bulbs- they're a bit small for the rest of the panel lights, but work either way. I changed out the one in my hazard switch. Tough part is getting to the bulb. After that, the bulb is seated in a rubber base that plugs in. Unwrap the leads from the old bulb, remove it, thread the new bulb into the base, wrap the leads, trim and reassemble.

The light in the defrost switch died since then; thought I might get to it this weekend. I suppose I can take pics and make a quicky how-to thread if need be.

___
JLD
Old 05-11-2007, 08:40 AM

Suzie Q- PLEASE OH PLEASE make a write up on this. My rear defroster light (the icon) not the orange light has been blown since I have owned the car. I really want tot take care of this and have my dash even again. I would greatly appreciate it! You rock dude. I really dont want to do an LED ineterior so this is perfect for me. will this bulb work inside a heated seat switch/ MY drivers side one is out. The bulb in my ashtray is out too. will this bulb work there too>?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by aznstormin
Wouldn't the dealer have its bulbs? Or at least the whole switch assembly...or take your chances with the junk yard

not the bulb since to access the bulb you have to take apart the whole assembly..
Old 05-11-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Suzie (v)Q
Radio Shack #272-1092 $1.49 a pair.
It's actually the perfect size for the button bulbs- they're a bit small for the rest of the panel lights, but work either way. I changed out the one in my hazard switch. Tough part is getting to the bulb. After that, the bulb is seated in a rubber base that plugs in. Unwrap the leads from the old bulb, remove it, thread the new bulb into the base, wrap the leads, trim and reassemble.

The light in the defrost switch died since then; thought I might get to it this weekend. I suppose I can take pics and make a quicky how-to thread if need be.

___
JLD

Suzie (v)Q, thank you very much!!! that is the answer I was looking for..
if you were in toronto, I'd treat you to a few drinks! wo0ho0! time to attack the local radio shack/the source.. hahaha the best is, I have another set of those switches ( 2 sets total) with blown bulbs.. yay , now I get to fix them and I can sell a set.. wo0ho0!

If I do mine this weekend, I'll take pics as well... once again.. muchos gracias/ thank you/ merci/ doh Jeh.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by FormorAccordMan
Suzie Q- PLEASE OH PLEASE make a write up on this. My rear defroster light (the icon) not the orange light has been blown since I have owned the car. I really want tot take care of this and have my dash even again. I would greatly appreciate it! You rock dude. I really dont want to do an LED ineterior so this is perfect for me. will this bulb work inside a heated seat switch/ MY drivers side one is out. The bulb in my ashtray is out too. will this bulb work there too>?

if im not mistaken, the ashtray light bulb is different ( I think it might be a 194 bulb [peanut bulb]).. if i do mine this weekend, I'll take pics for ya.!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Fast & Furry-ous

if im not mistaken, the ashtray light bulb is different ( I think it might be a 194 bulb [peanut bulb]).. if i do mine this weekend, I'll take pics for ya.!
I used those same bulbs for all of them:
Hazard switch bulb
Two in the climate control panel
Ashtray (That one requires soldering)

___
JLD
Old 05-11-2007, 09:05 AM

Thanks guys- it would be nice to have all instrumentation working again. It makes my car feel really old when things dont light up anymore. I look forward to your guys write up assistance if possible.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:40 AM

Glad to see this thread popped up, my manual climate control lights AND hazard/defrost lights have been out for months - it's going to be strange having lights on the dash again.

Thanks for the info Suzie (v)Q!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:14 AM

I say this should be part of the "how to's" in the stickies!!
this is very useful information for those who do NOT want to do LED mod..

Old 05-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Black Lion

bulbs rear defroster

Does anyone remember there was a thread awhile back stating if you have burnt bulbs in your hazard or rear defrost switch and don't want to do the LED mod, you can buy the bulbs at Radio shack AKA the source to fix it..

does anyone remember what size bulbs I need?

thanks

l<L
radio shack definitly does not have these bulbs.. tired them before. i just had to do the leds. and if you do them be really carefull with the hazard swith..i have to keep a penny wedged in there now to keep my hazds on when i need them cause the switch doesnt stay depressed when i push it in.. and the led mod is very time comsuming so be prepared. but its worh it in the end. i also did the leds in the bose radio which was a bit$# and spent many hours and days doing it. to me its not worth it.. my damn cd player doesnt evev work now so im thinking of replacing it all together. happy modding.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Kevlo for President

BTW LEDS last longer than regular filament bulbs. And give off less heat.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

I don't remember my part numbers because it was so long ago but:

pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4
pic 5
Old 05-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Fast & Furry-ous

Did some browsing of other How-tos dealing with lights , LED's and such, and I think a basic one for the switches would be useful around here. It seems (please correct me if I'm wrong), that while simple disassembly is shown, there's almost no mention of how to get 'em back together properly. And you end up having things like a hazard button that no longer ratchets. So I'm charging up the batts for my camera, the vent assembly is pulled, and I'll put something together over the weekend.

As for the LED crowd, here's my contentions(please take no offense- if it were a show car I'd have it kustom pimped with LED's everywhere):
-Sometimes it's only one or two lights out, and not worth changing ALL lights to match.
-Many do not have the technical understanding to adapt LED's to a "12volt" source. There's alot of aspects that aren't often covered in how-to's. Maybe you luck out and where you get them from sends along the "proper" resistors, or maybe you're on your own. Some people just don't want to deal with all that. Not to mention all the different optical specs.
-LED's, when run at the correct current, will last MUCH longer than incandescent bulbs. But the bulbs I've been changing were dead after 13 years...not exactly a short lifespan.
-And....many LED's used for these conversions are TOO bright for some. Basic illumination is all some need or want.
/contentions

On a different note, are there any models that have the cig lighter illuminated? I've seen a couple models where the jack is lit on the inside, but in MANY cars there's usually an illuminated ring around the jack. With all the talk about panel lights I noticed tonight how dark that lower section is.

___
JLD
Old 05-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Kevlo for President

Not to come off rude, but I don't understand why you have to change all the lights if you want to put LEDs in? If you use white, no one will know you changed it. As for the resistors, if you do an extra 5min of research, you will find many sites that have resistor calculators for w/e LED you buy.
But im LED bias'd So that might change some things.

But like you said if your bulbs lasted 13years(mine did not ) then it is not a bad replacement.1
Old 05-13-2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
radio shack definitly does not have these bulbs.. tired them before. i just had to do the leds. and if you do them be really carefull with the hazard swith..i have to keep a penny wedged in there now to keep my hazds on when i need them cause the switch doesnt stay depressed when i push it in.. and the led mod is very time comsuming so be prepared. but its worh it in the end. i also did the leds in the bose radio which was a bit$# and spent many hours and days doing it. to me its not worth it.. my damn cd player doesnt evev work now so im thinking of replacing it all together. happy modding.
I dont understand- Suzie q just gave us the part numbers and said he used them with no problem in the switches. Whats the hicup?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:14 PM

Not to come off rude, but I don't understand why you have to change all the lights if you want to put LEDs in? If you use white, no one will know you changed it. As for the resistors, if you do an extra 5min of research, you will find many sites that have resistor calculators for w/e LED you buy.
But im LED bias'd So that might change some things.

But like you said if your bulbs lasted 13years(mine did not ) then it is not a bad replacement.1
The main reason why I dont want to do an LED conversion, even if I use white, is because I dont want different amounts of brightness on my dash, or is that where the resisters come in. BTW- did you hear that Regular incandecent bulbs are gonna be phase out completely in the next few years? Bulbs with filiments will be over and done with soon.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Fast & Furry-ous

... BTW- did you hear that Regular incandecent bulbs are gonna be phase out completely in the next few years? Bulbs with filiments will be over and done with soon.
That has more to do with indoor/outdoor lighting, i.e. Type A Household bulbs. Australia has already instituted a phase out, Canada is following suit, and those Califonia folks are considering it too. Fine by me... I haven't bought an incandescent household bulb in probably 10 years.

Back on topic however, replaced the bulb on the rear defrost switch yesterday, took a bunch of photos. Hopefully I'll be able to make up a hot-to thread tonight sometime.

___
JLD
Old 05-13-2007, 04:23 PM

So i changed out the bulb just now, unfortunately the blue condom that goes over the bulb was stuck to the original bulb at one spot and I would up ripping it so I have a small patch on the new bulb where it is not covered. Anyhow, it lights up again and im satisfied. Its a little bit brighter than the rest of the lights, most likely b/c the blue sheath is ripped. Oh well, at least it lights up again. Thanks again Suzie VQ
Old 05-14-2007, 04:11 AM
Black Lion

I dont understand- Suzie q just gave us the part numbers and said he used them with no problem in the switches. Whats the hicup?
i guess the guy i talked to didnt know waht he was talking about then. anyhows the leds in the haz and and defrost sw. worked out really well. just time comsuming.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 AM

didn't get around to fix mine this weekend
will attempt to do so during the week..
Old 05-16-2007, 02:13 AM
Fast & Furry-ous

Hazard/Rear Defroster Button Lamp Replacement
For perhaps obvious reasons,
A)I don't often offer to make how-tos.
B)I'm told I'm ****-retentive on a semi-regular basis...

___
JLD
Old 05-16-2007, 12:19 PM

awesome write up. I need to get my hands on some blue celephane due to me ripping the original bulb condom. My switch is pretty bright now and does not match the rest of the instrumentation, which has a purplish? hue.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:51 PM

awesome write up. I need to get my hands on some blue celephane due to me ripping the original bulb condom. My switch is pretty bright now and does not match the rest of the instrumentation, which has a purplish? hue.
I should have a few laying around.. pm me your addy, I'll send you some if I find !
Old 05-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Fast & Furry-ous

I know I've seen them somewhere recently...could be Radio Shack, could be Autozone. Little bubble pack of an assortment, but all about the right size.

___
JLD
Old 05-16-2007, 01:28 PM

I should have a few laying around.. pm me your addy, I'll send you some if I find !
Thanks man- I really appreciate it. PM sent
Old 03-18-2020, 04:28 PM
Black Lion

So one may ask why revive such an old thread? Well I’m a nice guy and wanted to share the info on the current replacement bulb for the hazard switch. This may also work for the climate control, and other switches. Don’t quote me on that. Order from McMaster Carr, the existing bulb I just pulled it out of the base it sits in. Put the new bulb in the same way.. you’ll see how to wrap the small wire leads around. It’s an exact fit. Trim the extra wire once it’s in place and enjoy your new working light.

this is for any old school Maxima guys like me who just can’t let their car go. Ride or die. I’m an end user .. what can I say.