4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Aftermarket steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:29 AM

Aftermarket steering wheel

Ok, so with 165,000 miles/ 9 yrs. of molestation by greasy fingers, my steering wheel is nearing the end of it's life. I know some of you wouldn't change it, but my obsessiveness is getting the best of me. My "leather" is pealing from my wheel almost everywhere and it IS time for a new wheel.

Apparently, 97-99 SE's have a different wheel then their older kin, and as well as their GXE/GLE kin in the same age range. Mine has perforated leather around where the cruise controls are.

Anyways, I have asked in the parts for sale for many moons and came up with nothing except for a couple kind fellow .Orgers that have had one, but was different, same with Ebay and Junkyards.

Now that we have established a background, here is why I started this thread:
IF anyone has an after-market steering wheel installed, please post pics. I would like to see how they look, esp with those adapters they sell that you have to use. Also, what happens with the cruise controls? I will relocate mine obviously, just haven't attacked that chore yet since haven't done the install. I know you have to use a security T-55 to get out the airbag, and as well have the battery disconnected for at least 5 minutes, and a SW puller...but is that it?

This is the wheel I am gonna buy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...138240211&rd=1

I know it may be possibly a knockoff Nismo, but it still matches and is close enough. Colors too. At this point I have no choice b/c I cannot stand the way mine looks now. (Don't misunderstand, if mine was in good shape I WOULD NOT change it! I love the style of factory wheel.)

If anyone knows of any problems installing an after-market wheel, has pictures of ones installed, or any RELEVANT advice/ opinions, please let me know! Thanks Guys and Gals!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:52 AM

no airbag FTL...

Why not get a cover
Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Ridin' Spinnaz

Originally Posted by alcatranz518
Yeah... I'd invest in a steering wheel that wouldn't kill me in an accident.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Ummm...ok. How do you suppose the steering wheel would kill you? It's not lined with razor blades and rusty nails! Plus, it has the exact same design as the Momos, Sparco etc. So I guess when F1, Nascar, Top Fuel, etc wreck..they all die b/c they have a racing steering wheel?

C'mon, I don't race this car nor do I drive at warp speeds. I drive it to school and work, maybe the occasional road trip. To add, If YOU like being punched in the face by a nylon airbag while getting powder pushed into your eyes (with contacts I may add) and skin, thats your perogative. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=2
I am NOT discrediting the safety of them. Simple Physics, I don't want the forward force of my face hitting the bag at its deployment speed towards my face. Also, I have already stated the airbag is NOT the reason for changing the wheel. Period, end of Airbag/ Safety topic.

Keep in mind I did state above that "if mine was in good shape I WOULD NOT change it! I love the style of factory wheel." I am not changing this b/c I don't like mine, NOR the airbag. It's b/c mine looks like it's in an advanced stage of leprosy. Oh yeah, and as for a cover...no thanks. Cheese all the way...FTL.

P.S. - I always wear my seatbelt.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:22 AM

how about adding like a newer nissan steering wheel from a Altima with those sound controller things?

I think I read somewhere you can do it, with an adapter you can use those volume control thing.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 AM

Actually, I had thought about adding a 5th gen wheel (I like the chrome Nissan burger in the airbag), but I don't wanna pay for the airbag too (the total cost will be more then I would spend for this wheel), and as well I don't know it it will bolt up/ Airbag and Cruise Controls will work with my system. I have an Alpine radio, so the Radio controls won't work with my radio. Those that you speak of only work with Pioneer and Sony that I know of.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM

Your seat belt isn't going to stop your head from slamming into the steering wheel
Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 AM

Are you sure about that? You might just want to check your facts.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

So a wheel skin cover is out of the question then. How bout posting a pic so we can see how knarly your wheel really is. I put one on my wheel about 2 years ago and it's still in great shape. Should cover up your tears quite nicely.

http://wheelskins.com

If not, try putting one one these bad boys on your car.

http://fantasytoyslowriders.tripod.c...G%20WHEELS.htm
Old 08-09-2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
So a wheel skin cover is out of the question then. How bout posting a pic so we can see how knarly your wheel really is. I put one on my wheel about 2 years ago and it's still in great shape. Should cover up your tears quite nicely.

http://wheelskins.com
- I have looked into those "wheelskins", I used to work at a trim shop and we carried those. They work great, as long as you don't have big pedestals like ours.

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
If not, try putting one one these bad boys on your car.

http://fantasytoyslowriders.tripod.c...G%20WHEELS.htm
- I'll take two of the gold ones please! lol.

Here's my problem..Some of you probably think its fine, But I can't stand it! I have OCD.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:44 PM

wow that is pretty bad.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

A wheel skin would be great on that. Fitment wasn't an issue at all, so no worries about the pedestals being a problem or hindrance on the installation of it.

As it so happens I started a thread a while back looking for a wheel cover and a poster put some nice pics of his wheelskin on there. I'll see if I can rustle it up.

Here ya go:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ght=wheelskins
Old 08-09-2007, 03:07 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Comparing safety features on a purpose built race car to a maxima ftmfl!
Old 08-09-2007, 03:47 PM

WOW,ok it looks kinda bad.why not just rub it all off one day and then that should fix your problem im thinking...........then again,feel free to buy the racing steering if you like.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:08 PM

junk yards usually sell steering wheels with the whole column. you should ask them for steering column and see what they say.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:23 PM

i like the nismo immitation wheel and i was planning on getting it too but i realized it looks horrible unless you put a gauge column and a shift light just to make the car look racey, even though there really is no real justification for a race wheel.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yea the race wheel looks good until you plant your face in it.. but wheres the fun w/o the risk?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 PM

Are you sure about that? You might just want to check your facts.
The airbag isn't there to protect you from banging your head on the steering wheel, its there to prevent your neck from snapping in two from the sheer force....Does your seat belt hold your hear in place? Didn't think so...

Doesn't matter if you drive the speed limit, your going to be in some serious pain if you get into an accident, can kill you if your going fast enough, don't be a retard. If It didn't do something it wouldn't be there....
Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Ridin' Spinnaz

Ummm...ok. How do you suppose the steering wheel would kill you? It's not lined with razor blades and rusty nails! Plus, it has the exact same design as the Momos, Sparco etc. So I guess when F1, Nascar, Top Fuel, etc wreck..they all die b/c they have a racing steering wheel?

C'mon, I don't race this car nor do I drive at warp speeds. I drive it to school and work, maybe the occasional road trip. To add, If YOU like being punched in the face by a nylon airbag while getting powder pushed into your eyes (with contacts I may add) and skin, thats your perogative. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=2
I am NOT discrediting the safety of them. Simple Physics, I don't want the forward force of my face hitting the bag at its deployment speed towards my face. Also, I have already stated the airbag is NOT the reason for changing the wheel. Period, end of Airbag/ Safety topic.

Keep in mind I did state above that "if mine was in good shape I WOULD NOT change it! I love the style of factory wheel." I am not changing this b/c I don't like mine, NOR the airbag. It's b/c mine looks like it's in an advanced stage of leprosy. Oh yeah, and as for a cover...no thanks. Cheese all the way...FTL.

P.S. - I always wear my seatbelt.
Wow. So what you just told me is that you'd rather smash your face into a steering wheel or dashboard than an airbag. It hurts and it burns but you get over it and life goes on. Unless you're afraid of a little pain, which I see as a mere trade-off.

All I'm saying is that it's been proven that a car with airbags is safer than a car without. So I'd suggest getting a steering wheel with an airbag. That's all.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:46 PM

LOL just because u drive the speed limit doesn't prevent others from slamming into you who do not. Your reasoning is honestly horrible and obviously airbags play a huge roll in saving lives or they would not be used. You have a black wheel, put a black cover on it and be done with it. You'll barely notice it and you wont have to relocate your cruise control or anything. A racing wheel in a car you "dont race" is also contradictory and ridiculous in and of itself.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:11 PM

I dont mean to start an argument but its his life, let him do what he wants. Years ago there were no airbags, so its not much different. There also werent seatbelts so it was all that much worse.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:15 PM

i mean obviously he can do what he wants...i was just stating that his reasoning was kinda ridiculous but if he likes it then more power to him.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:38 AM

the previous owner of my car put in an imitation nismo steering wheel and installed imitation nismo 4 point harnesses. when im driving, i don't move in my seat and there is no way my face is getting anywhere close to the steering wheel. just something different
Old 08-11-2007, 09:53 AM

Well, as I stated prior..I will again explain because apparently some people have a severe attention/ understanding problem. I DID NOT start this thread to hear (NOR argue) safety concerns about airbags and after market steering wheels, it was to learn of the involvement of the swap process for a steering wheel, and for any pictures of installed after market wheels to see what they look like.

Apparently I should have made a video stating that b/c very few people obviously used their literary skills to read that. I said I LIKE THE EXISTING WHEEL. I also even said that I would use a 5th gen IF POSSIBLE. I RATHER SWAP MINE FOR ONE IN GOOD CONDITION. Wow, I asked a simple question and even explained as thorough as possible...SEVERAL TIMES, STILL got DRAMA. Amazing.

If all of you that seem to have the worthless .02 cents to toss in lecturing me about safety issues HAVE a wheel to offer that MATCHES mine and is in good condition...step up, or shut up. I don't need a sermon, thanks. Move on to the millionth "Ebay intake" thread and flame on them.

Those of you that do/ did have something useful to offer, and actually read what I asked. Thank you for your help so far/ in advance and I'm sorry you had to read through some of this BS. I try to make threads that benefit and inform, and educate. Not to mention have topics that are useful and are either rare or have yet to be discussed and try to enlarge this wonderful database of a great car AND community.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Kevlo for President

5th gen wheel does not fit from what I have been told. The spindle is bigger. But the 02-03(or higher) altima one has been installed in the 4th gen, see if you can search for the thread with pics.

Honestly, I like the 4thgen wheel with the perforated wheel skinz leather stitched on(search for a wheelskin thread in the general forum for lots of pics as well)
Old 08-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Hammy

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
5th gen wheel does not fit from what I have been told. The spindle is bigger. But the 02-03(or higher) altima one has been installed in the 4th gen, see if you can search for the thread with pics.

Honestly, I like the 4thgen wheel with the perforated wheel skinz leather stitched on(search for a wheelskin thread in the general forum for lots of pics as well)

Think you can get me a Link?

EDIT: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=421493

2nd EDIT: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ltima+steering

Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Ridin' Spinnaz

I DID NOT start this thread to hear (NOR argue) safety concerns about airbags and after market steering wheels
We're not arguing; we're discussing :-P
Old 08-13-2007, 05:29 AM

You guys are so b***HY geezus christ people get off his ****ing nuts...maybe he wants the steering wheel...he asked for pictures of anyone who had it done...not middle school lectures "your gonna die if you wreck without a airbag" **** i had a truck with no factory airbags...got in a accident going 60...i'm not dead i dont think...get off his nuts...some people have different styles so i'm sure he doesnt want everyone and they momma telling him hes gonna die...plus theres a bit more added sercurity (imo) with aftermarket steering wheels...you can take it off and carry it with you!!!