4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone know how fast the new Celica GST's are?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 10:48 PM

One of my buddies just got one today, its got the TRD package and all of that. Stock it came with an Intake and Exhaust. The Manual says it has 194hp. Its also a 5spd. It has a big ol wing on it too, and it says TRD on the windshield in Red letters and with the Chinese symbol below it. Just giving the extra details to see if anyone else has seen these. Keep in mind all of this stuff comes with it stock. he paid 25K for it. (In my opinion should have gotten a WRX but oh well) Anyway does anyone know how fast these are? Could they spank a Max, Auto or 5spd? Just wait till I get my SC!! Ok im really rambling, anyone know? Take Care
Old 08-02-2001, 10:50 PM

Is it GST or GTS? Whatever it is, I think you get the point. Take Care
Old 08-02-2001, 11:19 PM

its GT-S and according to www.caranddriver.com a stock gt-s with 180hp does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and 0-90 in 16.7 sec (they didn't post a 1/4 mile time) btw how do u like your dragon intake? i think those things look bada$$...

Trevor
Old 08-03-2001, 01:21 AM

At the strip, celica GTS was burning all the other cars..
untill mustang 5.0 came
but yea, they are pretty fast.
I didn't even DARE to race my stock auto with it..
Old 08-03-2001, 06:59 AM
I'm so hood

Keep in mind that the GT-S stock has like, not even 120ft/lbs of torque (I think it's like, 115), and that's way up there in RPMs too. It's all top-end, less low-end/torque than a Honda. A stock 5-speed maxi could take a stock GT-S, and stock auto maxi might be a shade behind.
Old 08-03-2001, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by SB97MAX
One of my buddies just got one today, its got the TRD package and all of that. Stock it came with an Intake and Exhaust. The Manual says it has 194hp. Its also a 5spd. It has a big ol wing on it too, and it says TRD on the windshield in Red letters and with the Chinese symbol below it. Just giving the extra details to see if anyone else has seen these. Keep in mind all of this stuff comes with it stock. he paid 25K for it. (In my opinion should have gotten a WRX but oh well) Anyway does anyone know how fast these are? Could they spank a Max, Auto or 5spd? Just wait till I get my SC!! Ok im really rambling, anyone know? Take Care
No offense to you or your friend, but that car sounds like some ugly rice, man.

I think windshield banners are in bad taste as it is. Ones with Japanese symbols are played. But Chinese symbols on a banner on a Japanese car? Come on.

I'm not een going to touch the big ol wing.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maxwell
[B]

I think windshield banners are in bad taste as it is. Ones with Japanese symbols are played. But Chinese symbols on a banner on a Japanese car? Come on.

Although the spoken language is different, the written language is the same, i.e. Japanese characters are identical to Chinese.

Steve
Old 08-03-2001, 11:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stephen Max
[B]
Originally posted by Maxwell

Although the spoken language is different, the written language is the same, i.e. Japanese characters are identical to Chinese.

Steve
Really, that's very interesting. I never knew that. Whenever I saw what I knew to be one language or the other, the Japanese symbols seemed, on the whole, to be simpler. Fewer strokes, in other words. I must plead ignorance, though, when it comes to almost anything concerning asian language.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
Keep in mind that the GT-S stock has like, not even 120ft/lbs of torque (I think it's like, 115), and that's way up there in RPMs too. It's all top-end, less low-end/torque than a Honda. A stock 5-speed maxi could take a stock GT-S, and stock auto maxi might be a shade behind.
I've dragged a Celica GTS and it was ugly for him. I lefted him in first, when shifted to third, I saw his front end perfectly in my rear-view mirror. Flashed my hazards and slowed to see if he wanted more and he did. We took off and by 80, I had him by at least a 1.5 car lengths. I flashed again and he made a hard left. It was pretty fun.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by speedy-t

I've dragged a Celica GTS and it was ugly for him. I lefted him in first, when shifted to third, I saw his front end perfectly in my rear-view mirror. Flashed my hazards and slowed to see if he wanted more and he did. We took off and by 80, I had him by at least a 1.5 car lengths. I flashed again and he made a hard left. It was pretty fun.
Pardon my lack of knowledge on street racing etiquette, but what are the flashers for? Do you flash them to say you won and you're ending the race?
Old 08-03-2001, 12:25 PM

Pardon my lack of knowledge on street racing etiquette, but what are the flashers for? Do you flash them to say you won and you're ending the race?
Yep, pretty much.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:03 PM

My friend also has one

Due to some misprints in the paper my friend has the same car, he however got his for 13,000. But yeah if it is an automatic which is just awful, stay away from it.He went with the 5-speed thoguh, I think in the GT-S you can get a 6, But it is kinda pepy and quick. Would be decent competition though. When I drove it it was pretty responsive but he wouldnt really let me get it too opened up yet.

SuDZ
Old 08-03-2001, 01:08 PM

Re: My friend also has one

Sorry I said it was 5 speed IT IS REALLY A 6 SPEED. My bad, I dont really like the car either. It does kinda look like a ricer, but its pretty nice. I dont like windshield banners much either but his are pretty small. Anyway, I was just curious how fast they are. He cant race for a while because it only has 103 miles on it. Oh well I was just curious. Take Care
Old 08-03-2001, 01:32 PM

First and foremost, they look like cockroaches.

When i was at the track on Weds, there was a kid with a silver GT-S w/ Injen intake. He had the front stock rims on (5 star i think) and had some 18s on teh rear. Anyways, it was a 6 spd and he could run no faster tehn 15.4.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:39 PM

Really, that's very interesting. I never knew that. Whenever I saw what I knew to be one language or the other, the Japanese symbols seemed, on the whole, to be simpler. Fewer strokes, in other words. I must plead ignorance, though, when it comes to almost anything concerning asian language.
just to clarify everything.

Chinese characters: 2 types - simplified version (less strokes) & traditional version (more strokes)

Japanese: 3 types - hiragana (I guess this could be viewed as the "real Japanese alphabet"), katakana ("alphabet" used to write mainly foreign words, kanji (Chinese characters - some are identical, some are a bit different)
Old 08-03-2001, 05:56 PM
Sunrise

the GT-S is pretty fast

I had the opportunity to race a GT-S on wide open streets and its pretty fast compared to my Auto (with no mods). We were pretty much side by side for a long time up to 90. But that was before my K&N and scoop intake...so I dont know how bad ill beat him now =). After a while he got tired of me following him everywhere (after we raced) so he got ****ed off and started swerving..got behind me and started speeding up and slowing down very fast onto my bumper...then he got next to me and started screaming some stuff so I gunned it and pulled away from him, he stopped on a read light and I turned. I think he was a manual.

About the hazard flashing, in my crowd we consider that a joke...because we saw it on the Dreamcast video game "Tokyo Xtreme Racer" and decided to do it. So we just poke fun at it all the time, racing up to 25-30mph and flashing our hazards, fun.

Old 08-03-2001, 06:03 PM

When I said Chinese symbol I wasnt really thinking. Im not sure if it is Chinese or Japanese I dont know the difference and didnt think it was a big deal. Oh well just thought id say im not sure which one it is, it could be either. Probably Japanese though. take care
Old 08-03-2001, 07:38 PM

I think if the Maxima is stock and is an auto, the GTS will take it for sure. A 5spd Maxima should give the GTS a pretty good run. I know don't how a modified GTS and a modified Maxima, auto or 5spd will do against it. Stock vs. stock though, I think the GTS has a bit of an advantage. You have to remember that the GTS is lighter than our cars.

Nice car, but I agree with you that he should have got the WRX. Now, that's a car that just screams performance. And it's definitely cheaper to fix up too. I wouldn't mind having one.
Old 08-04-2001, 02:23 PM

SLOWWWW

i already posted how fast they were....besides i had the opportunity to race one last night, it was a 2k 6-speed.
ok, 1st i had a pretty bad launch and left hella rubber but i inched on him through 2nd then beat him by at least a car and a half through 3rd. my car is a stock 95 5spd. they may look fast but they really aren't
Old 08-04-2001, 05:24 PM

who told you that japanese and chinese characters are the same??

Their are two different set of characters for japanese. Kanji (spelling?) are the SAME as chinese characters, but that is not the one people use everyday. The one used are the ones that have fewer strokes and look much simpler.
Korean and Japanese all derive from Chinese. That's why some koreans can also read chinese characters.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stephen Max
[B]

Steve