4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

why are Honda guys automatically Riceboys????

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 12:53 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

ok

i never call a Honda guy Riceboy, I might say their ride is UGLY or all show no go, but not Riceboy. What really bugs me is certain members of this forum always call the Honda guys riceboys. If a Civic/Accord guy puts a Type R badge on his ride why is he called riceboy? I'll say thats UGLY but i dont call em a Riceboy. Who are they kidding!?!? its really a Civic/Accord Type R? isnt that the same as a Maxima guy putting a GT-R emblem on his Max? who is the Max guy kiddin? wow thats really a GT-R?? I dont mean to be a punk, but im tired of certain members having the double standard. Dont be hypocrites! Altezza lights on a Honda makes them a riceboy but Altezza lights on a Max isnt? If you think its ugly then its ugly, but dont gotta be calling them names and sheit. I know you guys dont like it when people come to this forum and call us names.
Old 08-04-2001, 01:01 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

You, my friend, are a riceboy.
Old 08-04-2001, 01:19 AM

since when did max owners not call each other riceboys?
Old 08-04-2001, 01:47 AM

friggin riceboys...
Old 08-04-2001, 02:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree... I personally don't like GTR badges but I'm not going to tell off everyone that has them in every thread involving them (re: Altezza haters). Don't get me wrong, I think Altezzas are hideous and the anti-Altezza sigs don't bother me, I just think it's stupid to invade every Altezza thread with sh*t-talking. Everyone's got a personal preference, and if you don't like it, at least be respectful about it. There's plenty of rice to go around on this board like any other... I'm talking to you, uni-wiper people.
Old 08-04-2001, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
ok

i never call a Honda guy Riceboy, I might say their ride is UGLY or all show no go, but not Riceboy. What really bugs me is certain members of this forum always call the Honda guys riceboys. If a Civic/Accord guy puts a Type R badge on his ride why is he called riceboy? I'll say thats UGLY but i dont call em a Riceboy. Who are they kidding!?!? its really a Civic/Accord Type R? isnt that the same as a Maxima guy putting a GT-R emblem on his Max? who is the Max guy kiddin? wow thats really a GT-R?? I dont mean to be a punk, but im tired of certain members having the double standard. Dont be hypocrites! Altezza lights on a Honda makes them a riceboy but Altezza lights on a Max isnt? If you think its ugly then its ugly, but dont gotta be calling them names and sheit. I know you guys dont like it when people come to this forum and call us names.
You know what Turbo, I was planning on starting up a thread to say the EXACT same thing. People on this board are big hypocrites. I hate it when someone on here calls someone with a honda a riceboy. We are all in this sport together and we should respect and enjoy other people that are willing to spend their money and invest in their car for the fun of the import scene, and for the love of going fast !!! (and looking fast too!). I am against GT-R Badges though, im sorry. I just do not favor putting an emblem from another car on your car. I saw a ford taurus the other day with a BMW badge, an M5 Badge, and a 528 badge all on the back. It kind of reminded me of all those Type-R badges etc. etc. I think they are gay. Actually I think no emblems is the coolest way to go, euro style you know ? Well im rambling, just wanted to get my point across that we shouldnt disrespect someone else by calling them a "rice boy" or "rice eater" etc. You know where im going.....
Old 08-04-2001, 07:52 AM

It's because our Maximas are so special while their Hondas are nothing but big ricey pieces of crap. That's why it's ok to put a GTR badge on a Maxima while a Type R badge is ricey. It's the same reason Altezzas on a Maxima are incredibly "sweet" while Altezzas on a Honda are ricey. Same reason indiglo gauges, clear corners, wings, colored bulbs, shift *****, body kits, big exhaust tips all make a Honda ricey but make a Maxima so wonderful. Didn't you know that the Maxima is just the best car in the world and all these GTR badges and colored bulbs will only make it better?

On a more serious note, I've noticed that the people who use the word riceboy are the people who should be looking at themselves in the mirror. Most people with serious mods don't seem to use that word too much while the people with homemade stuff and bulbs throw that word around a lot. It's the people who debate getting an intake that seem to like that word the most. Probably because most of them are barely out of high school and just got their mom's hand me down Maxima. To them it's the greatest car in the whole world and so much better than those "typical" Hondas rolling around. I personally think that these people have an inferiority complex or something. All they can do is talk smack on other cars to make them like their own cars more or something. Get real....

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
ok

Old 08-04-2001, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Shadow
On a more serious note, I've noticed that the people who use the word riceboy are the people who should be looking at themselves in the mirror. Most people with serious mods don't seem to use that word too much while the people with homemade stuff and bulbs throw that word around a lot. It's the people who debate getting an intake that seem to like that word the most. Probably because most of them are barely out of high school and just got their mom's hand me down Maxima. To them it's the greatest car in the whole world and so much better than those "typical" Hondas rolling around. I personally think that these people have an inferiority complex or something. All they can do is talk smack on other cars to make them like their own cars more or something. Get real....
i agree with what you are saying. i think that the term riceboys is aimed more towards acura/honda because there are so many more of modified acura/hondas on the road. i dont use the term riceboy on civics/integra/accords... but more on camaros and mustangs. there are alot of V6s in my area putting dual exhaust on and fake badges on. thats what i consider rice. when i pull up to a civic with a huge wing and kit and i beat it in a race, i dont call it rice because i know its a civic and takes a lot to make it fast. maybe its my biased judgemnt though. i dont consider a civic with a type-r badge to be considered rice, but i do considered a V6 camaro with a dual exhaust setup and SS badges to be considered rice. maybe its my whole import vs domestic view....
Old 08-04-2001, 08:30 AM

What the hell is "Rice" anyways. I hate that term.
Old 08-04-2001, 08:30 AM

i have both a gtr emblem and altezzas, i dont call my car rice nor do i call anyone elses, american car drivers call anything japanese rice, so to them we are just as "ricey" as any honda, just my 2 pennies
Old 08-04-2001, 08:34 AM
Administrator

I think Turbo boy is getting defensive because he has a Honda
Old 08-04-2001, 08:49 AM

Honda owners aren't riceboys, it just that some of them do the modding very halfassed. For example I saw one with clear turns, a billet grille, a HUGE powered by Honda (well who else would you be powered by, Isuzu?), with the big emblem H on the back, a faded and bubbled purple tint, the mandatory fart box exhaust and he was still rolling on the stock 13" rims with no hubcaps. Unfortunately, this really isn't uncomon with Honda owners.
Old 08-04-2001, 09:15 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Sometime I'm embarrassed to own a Maxima when I see what some of the people on this board do to their cars.
Old 08-04-2001, 09:25 AM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by NickStam
Sometime I'm embarrassed to own a Maxima when I see what some of the people on this board do to their cars.
Do we make you blush
Old 08-04-2001, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by NickStam
Like who?
Old 08-04-2001, 09:53 AM

check out that rice rocket in redmax's sig! just kiddin. personally i dont see what the big deal is. People have called me a ricer and I have done exactly 0 mods to my I30. Only because two of my friends have maximas and have done some mods to them and we get called ricers. My old car was a 1989 toyota camry and I wont forget the day my mechanic called me a riceboy when I had that car. I dont see why there is a big deal about this. I know we all probably see ANY car that has lots of mods and we call them ricers. maybe not out lout but i bet most everyone will think it. my point is, so what? the main reason honda/acura people get it the most is because they have the most aftermarket parts and us luxury sport sedan owners are a bit jealous. I'd be an acura owner myself if I could have found a 94 legend with low miles on it.....
Old 08-04-2001, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by black019
check out that rice rocket in redmax's sig! just kiddin. personally i dont see what the big deal is. People have called me a ricer and I have done exactly 0 mods to my I30. Only because two of my friends have maximas and have done some mods to them and we get called ricers. My old car was a 1989 toyota camry and I wont forget the day my mechanic called me a riceboy when I had that car. I dont see why there is a big deal about this. I know we all probably see ANY car that has lots of mods and we call them ricers. maybe not out lout but i bet most everyone will think it. my point is, so what? the main reason honda/acura people get it the most is because they have the most aftermarket parts and us luxury sport sedan owners are a bit jealous. I'd be an acura owner myself if I could have found a 94 legend with low miles on it.....
ps-one more reason why honda owners are 'riceboys', check the attachment
Old 08-04-2001, 01:33 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
You, my friend, are a riceboy.
Old 08-04-2001, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic

Like who?
You want a list?
Old 08-04-2001, 03:26 PM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by SprintMax
I think Turbo boy is getting defensive because he has a Honda
That the same thing I am thinking.
Old 08-04-2001, 03:40 PM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by black019
The main reason honda/acura people get it the most is because they have the most aftermarket parts and us luxury sport sedan owners are a bit jealous. I'd be an acura owner myself if I could have found a 94 legend with low miles on it.....
I disagree that we are gealous about the Honda/Acura. If we were then I and everyone else would be driving a Honda and not a maxima. When I call someone a "RICEBOY" its not because he has a lot of mods that are done with style. Its those !diots that put Fake exhaust tips or only mufflers that are all show and no go. Then they put clear light and blue bulbs, stickers that are bigger then their windshild. Some of them have spoilers that look like BBQ grills. Car has to be done with taste and passion not just a cheap part you buy on E-BAY.
Old 08-04-2001, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

I disagree that we are gealous about the Honda/Acura. If we were then I and everyone else would be driving a Honda and not a maxima. When I call someone a "RICEBOY" its not because he has a lot of mods that are done with style. Its those !diots that put Fake exhaust tips or only mufflers that are all show and no go. Then they put clear light and blue bulbs, stickers that are bigger then their windshild. Some of them have spoilers that look like BBQ grills. Car has to be done with taste and passion not just a cheap part you buy on E-BAY.
Hey I buy stuff off ebay!!!
Old 08-04-2001, 08:57 PM

Keep in mind that a lot of Maxima guys using the word rice have fake exhaust tips or mufflers or clear lights, badly done stickers, horrible spoilers, etc. Remember how everyone was tripping over themselves to get first in line for Altezzas? How many posts on this board are about how to wire their corner lights to light up all the time, or which blue bulb is best? Lot's of Maximas I've seen have cheap Ebay parts thrown on them with no flow at all, no plan. They just buy parts and throw them on the car without thinking about the big picture. There are more badly done Honda/Acura's because there are simply more of them. I'd bet if you'd look at the ratio of badly modified Hondas to well modified ones, it would be better than the ratio of badly modified Maximas to nice ones. The thing with Hondas is parts are cheaper, so you can make the car look nice for a lot less money than it would cost for a nicely modded Maxima. There are some Maximas on this board that I'd be ashamed to roll with. A badly done mod is a badly done mod no matter what car it's on. I think Turbo's main point is that people throw the word mainly at Honda/Acura while not looking at themselves.

A car should be done with taste and passion, but maybe his taste is just different than yours. One thing you're forgetting is money. To have a really nice car, you have to have money. Doesn't matter how much taste and passion you have, if you don't have the money to carry out your plans, it's not going to happen. To me, that's the main problem with people modding Maximas. People try to make their car look crazy on the cheap and end up with a nasty car. I know of Hondas, Acuras and other cars that have $40K invested in them in modifications. Very, very few Maxima owners are going to do that. No offense to anyone, but if you don't have the time and money to do something right, please don't do it at all. The car looks nicer with a few nice mods than a bunch of horrendous ones. Please don't try to half *** the job for 1/10 the cost of doing it right. I know not everyone has the money to do this, but people have to realize that their car is not going to look like a crazy show car on a shoestring budget. At some point, realize your budget is finished and leave well enough alone, please don't push it, that's what leads to the embarassing cars.

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

Old 08-04-2001, 09:29 PM

The term "riceboy" was originally popularized by Bryan Hong of Riceboypage.com (dunno if the site is still up). Basically, "rice" originally referred to the owners of hopped up imports, not surprisingly most were of Asian decent, driving Asian automobiles. But the term has evolved outside of ethnic categorization in recent years, instead...the term "rice" refers to modifications which are all show and no go. In most cases, these mods are poorly done and make the vehicle look ridiculous.

But yes I definitely agree that there is a double standard with some people on this site. Many modifications that I would consider totally rice such as ground scraping unpainted body kits, two foot high wings, alteezas, fake badging etc... etc.. some people think are cool. Well that's their choice. To me it is all show no go. I think the money would be better spent on maintenance, gas, or actual performance mods.
Old 08-04-2001, 09:58 PM

Shadow and Eric L., I could not have said it any better. I don't really care if I am called a "Riceboy" because well, I'm asian.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:54 PM

The only people I call "riceboy" is people that put the POS fake mods on and think it makes their car bad @$$ and then they get their but handed to them in a race.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:58 PM

I was talking to a accord BOY about how I wanted to get GTR emblem.
he called me a rice boy..
I dont really care about this whole rice boy thing..
but it's pretty funny. =)
Old 08-05-2001, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by speedy-t
Shadow and Eric L., I could not have said it any better. I don't really care if I am called a "Riceboy" because well, I'm asian.

Hehe...my housemates, all of whom drive Honda Civics call me the "riceboy" of the house. It's not insulting to me at all, I am actually kind of proud of it. Maybe it's because their cars are ricier than mine! I think they call me riceboy more on the way I drive than the mods I have (which are very limited). In fact, I took huge flak when I got my first cosmetic mod ever, the aluminum dash rings and bezel. I was thinking of the aluminum dash kit, but then I realized...all show and no go again, so I decided not to purchase it.

Something else I find kind of funny is that it seems that people think it's okay if Asians call each other riceboy, but if a non-asian makes a riceboy accusation then people get angry. I'm not quite sure why, but being asian (Chinese), I can certainly identify with the modded import car mentality more on a pseudo-cultural level, than say, treating it like a hobby.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:12 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

ok, i think my main point is not to be a hyprocite. I mean its one thing to call people riceboys juss as a term, but if you got Altezza's or GT-R badge on your Max and you call a Honda guy with ALtezza's or Type-R badge you call em riceboy. If you think its ugly the say its ugly. If its all show no go then say that, but why be a hyprocite and say riceboy when your Max can very well be one also..

190hpkilla, i dont even know you so why were you thinkin the same thing about me gettin defensive about having a Honda? I have a Honda bike, thats the only kind of Honda i would ever want to own.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:37 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Turbo95Max = slow POS rice

Old 08-05-2001, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.

Something else I find kind of funny is that it seems that people think it's okay if Asians call each other riceboy, but if a non-asian makes a riceboy accusation then people get angry. I'm not quite sure why, but being asian (Chinese), I can certainly identify with the modded import car mentality more on a pseudo-cultural level, than say, treating it like a hobby.
Yep, it's one of those double standards. I think if you are going to poke fun at someone, then you better be prepared to take it also.

My wife is white and has this cousin that jokingly refers to me as "riceboy" as my name. I turn around and jokingly call him "white trash" because he has a 1979 Trans-Am with that big bird on the hood. It's not just the car but when he works on it, he does not wear a shirt and deals crack when he bends over. I swear, he is the poster boy.

Now, I hope you all see the metaphor and not take this as a racical thing.
Old 08-05-2001, 03:31 AM

My personal understanding...

If I remember correctly riceboy was a offshoot of the term rice-rocket which is what bikers used to and still do call the Asian (Yamaha, Kawasaki, & Honda etc....) bikes (eg. Check out that rice-rocket over there.) It then was adapted to the import cars from the Asia as a term not to say they were fast, but as a joke about the engine running off of rice and not because the driver/owner was Asian(eg. Man I bet them Datsuns run off rice LoL.). Then is was further adapted to just rice or the act of adding nogo just show items to the cars (import or domestic)(eg. Man did you see the ricey logos on that car?)...

The term riceboy and or girl refers to the driver/owner or such stated vehicle above...

I am also a riceboy and proud of it... I love my clear corners and nonfunctional stock spoiler. :P

Just remember a functional item like rewiring the fog lamps to come on without the headlamps is not covered under the term rice. Because all of us who use the fog lights for "fog" know that the headlamps just defeat the purpose....

Sorry for the long post...

Of course this is IMHO... Take it how ever you want...
But also keep in mind we all know that there are quite a few ricey maximas here...
Old 08-05-2001, 04:58 AM
Former Sponsor

well.... i dont consider myself a riceboy... simple as that... but nor am i offended when someone calls me unless well they're riced out alot more than me... its one of those things to joke about.. sure i do have ricy lookin things... bodykits big rims... but well i try to keep my car clean no stickers no useless spoiler, noblinking strobes blah blah...
sure people can think my car is a rice rocket... but you know what? i dont and those who know the 3.0L Maxima know its a lil harder to make fun of it compared to lil Civic DX autos
Old 08-05-2001, 05:54 AM

I've seen some civics that looked way better than some maximas. It all depends on the owner. Anyone can just about ruin any car if they try hard enough (or if APC allows them to).
Old 08-05-2001, 05:57 AM

Huh?

Originally posted by Shadow
A car should be done with taste and passion, but maybe his taste is just different than yours. One thing you're forgetting is money. To have a really nice car, you have to have money. Doesn't matter how much taste and passion you have, if you don't have the money to carry out your plans, it's not going to happen. To me, that's the main problem with people modding Maximas. People try to make their car look crazy on the cheap and end up with a nasty car. I know of Hondas, Acuras and other cars that have $40K invested in them in modifications. Very, very few Maxima owners are going to do that. No offense to anyone, but if you don't have the time and money to do something right, please don't do it at all. The car looks nicer with a few nice mods than a bunch of horrendous ones. Please don't try to half *** the job for 1/10 the cost of doing it right. I know not everyone has the money to do this, but people have to realize that their car is not going to look like a crazy show car on a shoestring budget. At some point, realize your budget is finished and leave well enough alone, please don't push it, that's what leads to the embarassing cars.

[/B]
Just a difference of opinion here... Who's to say what's horrendous? Who's to say what's nasty? To each his own. If somebody likes what you feel is horrible, cheap and ugly, who are you to say they shouldn't do it? Who are you to say if they don't spend a lot on mods that they aren't right for somebody else?

The whole idea is to make your car something *YOU* feel good about and you can call your own. Maybe if your young and don't have the money to spend or the experience, you go with cheaper mods. Maybe you go with loud, obnoxious mods. There's nothing wrong with that.

Personally I hate overdone cars that are loud, obnoxious and attention grabbing. I don't like Altezzas at all. But am I going to tell somebody that they shouldn't throw Altezzas on their car or a huge-assed window sticker saying Maxima.org across the front and back of their cars, no.

Each person does what *they* feel is right for them and their car. It makes them feel good. If we don't like it, well, tough for us. That's what makes us individuals and our cars stand out from others cars. That's what we are all doing. One person's work of art might be what another person calls a piece of crap riceboy extravegansa. So be it.

By the way, we are ALL ricers! Doesn't matter what you have on your car. It's a Japanese manufactured car. It's rice. Get over it.

If you feel embarrassed by driving rice, then go get an American or German built car.

What are they called? Wienersnizel? Hotdog? <grin>
Old 08-05-2001, 06:01 AM

Re: Huh?

The way the term rice is used today, we are all definitely not rice. And if someone did call me that, no big deal. But were all definitely not rice.
Old 08-05-2001, 06:05 AM

Re: My personal understanding...

Originally posted by DaEnigma
If I remember correctly riceboy was a offshoot of the term rice-rocket which is what bikers used to and still do call the Asian (Yamaha, Kawasaki, & Honda etc....) bikes (eg. Check out that rice-rocket over there.) It then was adapted to the import cars from the Asia as a term not to say they were fast, but as a joke about the engine running off of rice and not because the driver/owner was Asian(eg. Man I bet them Datsuns run off rice LoL.). Then is was further adapted to just rice or the act of adding nogo just show items to the cars (import or domestic)(eg. Man did you see the ricey logos on that car?)...

The term riceboy and or girl refers to the driver/owner or such stated vehicle above...

I am also a riceboy and proud of it... I love my clear corners and nonfunctional stock spoiler. :P

Just remember a functional item like rewiring the fog lamps to come on without the headlamps is not covered under the term rice. Because all of us who use the fog lights for "fog" know that the headlamps just defeat the purpose....

Sorry for the long post...

Of course this is IMHO... Take it how ever you want...
But also keep in mind we all know that there are quite a few ricey maximas here...
I think you're somewhat correct on the original terminology. Back in my day (yeah, I'm an old geezer..sorta) it was in reference to motorcycles. Mostly Harley's vs. the Hondas. The Harley guys all called the Hondas, Yamaha's and Kawasaki's, "Rice-burners".

Basically, anything from Japan was a "rice-burner". If you drive something from Japan, you are a "ricer" or "rice-boy". I guess some are now modifying these terms to denote levels of "riceness".

Well, I don't. I don't own an American car and I love my Japanese cars because they perform as expected and last. Somebody wants to call me a riceboy, they can. I could care less. <grin>
Old 08-05-2001, 09:52 PM

i find this whole thread amusing
Old 08-05-2001, 10:15 PM

I agree with RedMax...all these new threads with alot of replys are just amusing...especially that oen about the dude wanting to race...this one is quiet funny too.
Old 08-05-2001, 10:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

JW82:

That Pic from Samarai Showdown in your Sig is SICK.

I friggin loved that game.

I still have the high scores, 7 years later, at the Hurricane Cafe in Seattle, and Bellevue Comunity College....

heh...

Oh yeah, and who's the Riceboy that posted this thread, anyway ;D