4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is the dealership screwing me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 01:22 PM

I took my car into the dealership today because my A/C was blowing out hot air. Prior to this i had my a/c recharged but the problem was not solved. It appears to be an electrical problem however the dealership says my modifications to my car void my warrantee. Thus they want me to charge me 185 dollars to do a electrical dynostic to find the problem. The only electrical mod that i have is the fog light turning on with the daytime running lights thus i have a single wire running to one of the relays. I'm wondering what i should do. I have a feeling it's a faulty evaporater controller but these cheap bastards won't fix it for me. I'm actually REALLY annoyed right now so if this post seems incoherent or hard to follow please forgive me.

What should i DO?
Old 08-07-2001, 01:25 PM

Hmmm...you have yourself a problem there. Even if it is not related to the AC, you did in fact modify the electrical system, which probably gives them justfication to void your warranty for that part. Yeah, sounds totally unfair, but that's the policy for warranty work.

I would remove the foglight mod, and take it to another dealer to have them diagnose the problem and fix it under warranty.

As for the $185 charge, you shouldn't have to pay it unless the dealer can prove that your foglight mod is the cause of your AC problems. You brought your car in to check the AC, and if they cannot find anything wrong with the AC they should not charge you for the inspection.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:41 PM
Kevlo for President

i thought they could not void the warrenty unless they could prove that the certain mod was the problem??
Old 08-07-2001, 02:27 PM

Man i think i'm going to take it to another dealer and try my luck there. Just for future reference, the service center for HERB GORDAN NISSAN in briggs chaney auto park sucks.

When i do go to another dealer won't it say in the computer that i was just at another dealer previous?

Man I hope none of you guys have to go through this b.s.
Old 08-07-2001, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by NISMO808
Man i think i'm going to take it to another dealer and try my luck there. Just for future reference, the service center for HERB GORDAN NISSAN in briggs chaney auto park sucks.

When i do go to another dealer won't it say in the computer that i was just at another dealer previous?

Man I hope none of you guys have to go through this b.s.

Yeah I know what you mean by nissan dealership bs. But well, there's a reason why Nissan dealerships are rated the WORST in the nation according to consumers reports. Anyways, the computer usually notes warranty repairs, but if none were made, they will probably not make a record of it.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:13 PM

I called another dealership up and told em my experience. The lady I spoke to was very nice about it. She said that unless i directly tapped into the relay of the A/C and messed around with the electrical systems of that particular circuit then that would be reason to void the warrantee.

I have an appointment for tomorrow so hopefully everything will get squared away.

My question now is could my foglight rewiring have played a factor in my A/C goin out? Or is there no way? Any electricians out there?
Old 08-07-2001, 04:19 PM
I'm needing a caw

First of all, you need to find out exactly why the ac is not working. If the freon is leaking out, the system will detect it and not engage the clutch on the compressor and thus no cold ac air. If the freon is indeed up to par, then dig into the other things. Isn't all the relays labeled on the top of the relay box(s)?? If so, which one did you tap into?? Dig around this site so see if you can identify the one you tapped into and if that one has anthing to do with the ac circuit. Good Luck.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/chilton...oot/index.html