4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Aftermarket airhorn problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 11:32 AM

Well after having my FIAMM dual air horns installed for a couple weeks, I think they suck. For some reason, the thing only works every 2nd or 3rd time I get in the car. I've decided that I want to buy some upgraded electric horns and mount them on the front where the high-tone stock horn is...

So here's my question:

Is it OK to splice the wire that hooks up to the stock horn and run that to both aftermerket horns? (assuming the aftermarkets are meant to run off just the factory wire w/ no relay or separate power wire to the battery, etc...)

It might be of help if someone has a wiring diagram and can tell if both stock horns run off the same lead that's just spliced somewhere in the engine bay or something. In other words, do the factory horns have their own separate circuits or do they run off the same lead from the fuse box?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 08-16-2001, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by justmax
Well after having my FIAMM dual air horns installed for a couple weeks, I think they suck. For some reason, the thing only works every 2nd or 3rd time I get in the car. ...
Did the FIAMM air horns come with a relay in the box? Did you use that relay or just toss it aside?

... I've decided that I want to buy some upgraded electric horns and mount them on the front where the high-tone stock horn is...

So here's my question:

Is it OK to splice the wire that hooks up to the stock horn and run that to both aftermerket horns? (assuming the aftermarkets are meant to run off just the factory wire w/ no relay or separate power wire to the battery, etc...) ...
The horn circuit fuse can handle 10 amps. As long as your total load is less than 10 amps, you can use the factory wiring. If more than 10 amps, you should run a new heavy power lead through a fuse and an auxiliary horn relay.

... It might be of help if someone has a wiring diagram and can tell if both stock horns run off the same lead that's just spliced somewhere in the engine bay or something. In other words, do the factory horns have their own separate circuits or do they run off the same lead from the fuse box? ...
They run off a single wire from the horn relay to a splice at connector E10, and there are two separate wires from E10 to the individual horns.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:38 PM

thanks Daniel

Yeah, it came with a 4-lead relay that I am using. I've swapped out the horn for another one (Pep Boys), and it does the same thing (only works some of the time). I found that it blew my 20A inline fuse last weekend, replaced it and it worked fine all day. Next day I get in the car and *nothing*. I stop at the inconvenience store, get back in the car, and it works again. P i s s e s me off.

Anyway, thanks for the wiring help. Sounds like whether I splice one horn's wire or use both factory horn leads, I won't be able to go > 10A, but the actual wiring won't matter.

Justin
Old 08-17-2001, 05:00 AM

I had the same problem on my bike (I did use the relay), I rewired it, soldered the wires, problem solved. Make sure you have a good ground.