4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can I take this THING off??? intake related-

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 11:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah so that intake thing that sits on the front of the engine back above the headlights circled in the picture.. now that i have the cone filter does this intake system serve a purpose??

I really have no idea if it serves a purpos or not or if i can relocate the tube to pull air from under the car???
Old 09-01-2001, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by thebigsadler
Yeah so that intake thing that sits on the front of the engine back above the headlights circled in the picture.. now that i have the cone filter does this intake system serve a purpose??

I really have no idea if it serves a purpos or not or if i can relocate the tube to pull air from under the car???
yes you can take it off
Old 09-01-2001, 01:37 AM

well, hypothetically, you can direct the original airsource of the maxima towards the cone filter. won't do much, but it might be better if you leave it on. You might want to make the engine bay look cleaner by taking it off though
Old 09-01-2001, 03:18 AM

Take the two 'screws' off, then disconnect. That is all. Many have done this.
Old 09-01-2001, 06:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is my experience. I got a cone intake and took that scoop thing off too. Then I realized there was a sensor attached to it part way down and the tubing also branched off under the battery somewhere to who knows where. I then put it back on just because I didn't know what everything was at the time. I think it is safe to take off but why not have that scoop delivering some cold air to the intake?? Thats what I am doing now.
Old 09-01-2001, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Take the two 'screws' off, then disconnect. That is all. Many have done this.
leave it on. that tube fed the black box with air when the car was moving. if you take a good look, the tube ends on the bottom of the filter. so if your driving at 75mph and the tube directs the air from out side of the car( which the air is cooler than under the hood) to the filter it would help. but you have to be moving for it to work. i left mine on for that reason (extra cool air).
Old 09-01-2001, 11:11 AM

okay, I was just wondering because I know the cold air intake systems take air from under the car.. so I didnt know if it could be "modded" to a tube that sucked air from below.. I guess I will leave it
Old 09-01-2001, 12:05 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally posted by 97GLES
leave it on. that tube fed the black box with air when the car was moving. if you take a good look, the tube ends on the bottom of the filter. so if your driving at 75mph and the tube directs the air from out side of the car( which the air is cooler than under the hood) to the filter it would help. but you have to be moving for it to work. i left mine on for that reason (extra cool air).

i wass gonna say somthing like that too
Old 09-01-2001, 04:38 PM

yeahh i just put my intake in today and i left that thing on, its not in the way so theres no harm and cool air gets to the cone filter.
Old 09-01-2001, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by 97GLES

Thats not true, the air tube does not blow cool air into the black box. It looks as though it does but really all thats happening is the air is comming out of the black box and going into the resonator{ another black box} which makes the intake a little bit quiter. The air duct is made of 2 seperate pieces but looks like it's one, this actual depends on the year though.

Now for the big air duct at the end, it should make no difference becuase with a pop air intake, the intake is facing the oppisite direction from where the cold air is beeing blown. I removed mine becuase all it looked like it did was add about 5 pounds and clutter up the engine bay.

The sensor someone was talking about is the air temp sensor and it tells your MAF sensor what the temperature of the air is and the MAFS adjust accordingly. The sensor is only on that black air duct on 97-99 and not 95-96. On 95-96 the sensor plugs into the oem air box, or your aftermarket cone air filter.
Old 09-01-2001, 08:06 PM

so emax

Originally posted by emax95

The sensor someone was talking about is the air temp sensor and it tells your MAF sensor what the temperature of the air is and the MAFS adjust accordingly. The sensor is only on that black air duct on 97-99 and not 95-96. On 95-96 the sensor plugs into the oem air box, or your aftermarket cone air filter.
what exactly are u telling me here.. I have a 98.. can i remove the duct thing, does it serve a purpose that if i remove it my CEL will come on or the car will run differently?? and is it just the two screws on the top and it pulls out or is there more to it?
Old 09-01-2001, 08:34 PM

Re: so emax

Originally posted by thebigsadler

what exactly are u telling me here.. I have a 98.. can i remove the duct thing, does it serve a purpose that if i remove it my CEL will come on or the car will run differently?? and is it just the two screws on the top and it pulls out or is there more to it?

I whould not remove it on a 97-99 maxima{yours} unless you want to relocate the sensor into your intake. It's not really worth the bother on your car. If you do want to remove it all you have to do is remove the 2 screws and your air temp sensor.
Old 09-01-2001, 09:20 PM

Air Temp Sensor

Actually, If you did not move your sensor after you
took off your stock air box, your MAF is not working
as well as it should. All of the directions I have
seen tell you to move the sensor close to the new cone
filter you added. The sensor can be easily mounted to
a number of places right beside your new filter. I used
a zip tie and put it next to my Stillen intake.

As for the "black thing", mine is still on because
it is used as a holder for some other items mounted
to it (electrical stuff) and I did not want to move
them somewhere else.

I do not think there is any benefit to leaving it on
with your current set-up, but it is your choice. I would
relocate your sensor, though. I doubt it will make any
performance/emissions changes, but better safe than
sorry.

BB
Old 09-04-2001, 10:33 PM

I have always wondered if I should leave it on as well. Thanks for the info.