4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Flashing Airbag Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 08:43 PM
max98boom

I all of a sudden when i started up my car today and drove around, the air bag light keeps flashing?
I havent tried much cause i dont really know where to start, the manual says call nissan but i would rather fix it if i could
thanks

Old 09-07-2001, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by max98boom
I all of a sudden when i started up my car today and drove around, the air bag light keeps flashing?
I havent tried much cause i dont really know where to start, the manual says call nissan but i would rather fix it if i could
thanks
It means there is some type of malfunction in the SRS airbag system. You should take it to a Nissan dealer and have it checked out. I don't think that this is a DIY project for the parts that maybe needed, the diagnosis process, and risk of deploying the airbag.
Old 09-08-2001, 09:02 AM

Air Bag warning light reset instructions.

Originally posted by max98boom
thanks
This is the procedure for resetting the dashboard Air Bag warning light.
This information came from the '99 Maxima factory service manual.
Perhaps your '98 works the same way. It's easy enough to try.

Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button, a button which is
pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door
Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7
seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF.
Close the driver's door. Start the engine.

Possible causes for this warning light to go on include...
- a fault with the Air Bag.
- abnormally low voltage in the electrical system due to a weak battery.
- a maladjusted door striker plate such that the door does not close properly,
and the DDS is jiggled on and off constantly as you drive.

If the dashboard warning light remains on after you perform this reset procedure you may have to let the dealer handle the problem.
Old 09-08-2001, 05:18 PM
tngocp

I have the same problem with the airbag light flashing. I followed Mr. Martin procedure, and it WORKED! Thanks a lots!

Old 09-14-2001, 09:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Flashing Airbag light finally fixed!

I wanted to thank Daniel Martin for the instructions to reset this flashing light. Mine started blinking back in 1999 just after a heavy rain storm and the stupid dealer said that the Airbag computer was blown. They said it would be $880.00 plus installation and testing with a 90 day warranty. I used the "Air Bag warning light reset instructions" last night and the light has stopped blinking.
I'll keep you up to date. By the way, the stupid dealer I went to in is Bevery, Massachusetts and is named Kelly. I,ve been bringing my two maxes to two guys that used to work for them, they are great mechanics (NorthEast Auto Lab) in Beverly, MA.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Daniel,

What does this procedure actually do? Does it set the airbag ECU in diagnosis mode? Does it disable the airbags entirely? I'm tired of my flashing light, but I want to make sure that the airbags will deploy in the event of an accident.

-Sryth...
Old 01-18-2002, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Daniel B. Martin hasn't been around for several months now, so your answer is not going to be answered by him anytime soon.

I doubt resetting the airbag ECU disables the airbags. Reset it once and if it doesn't come back, it should be ok.

However, if you're still unsure about it, don't reset it and just take it to the dealer.

Originally posted by sryth
Daniel,

What does this procedure actually do? Does it set the airbag ECU in diagnosis mode? Does it disable the airbags entirely? I'm tired of my flashing light, but I want to make sure that the airbags will deploy in the event of an accident.

-Sryth...