4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 02:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got in an accident 7 months ago and the front passenger side suspension was replaced. My wife hit a curb and the wheel was hanging by the spring and brake cable. Repairs totaled to 2k. Anyway, my question is during the past 4 months I've noticed a "moaning" sound coming from that wheel. I've been told it was the wheel bearing because it gets louder as the vehicle speeds up(very loud at 60mph). I read the Chiltons manual concerning wheel bearings and it said something about letting a mechanic with the correct tools do the repairs. What are some things I can check? Where can I buy the correct bearings online (96GXE)? Does it require buying anything else with the repair? How vital is this repair? I live in Germany so I can't take the vehicle to the dealer who repaired it.
Old 09-10-2001, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by Rensis19
I got in an accident 7 months ago and the front passenger side suspension was replaced. My wife hit a curb and the wheel was hanging by the spring and brake cable. Repairs totaled to 2k. Anyway, my question is during the past 4 months I've noticed a "moaning" sound coming from that wheel. I've been told it was the wheel bearing because it gets louder as the vehicle speeds up(very loud at 60mph). I read the Chiltons manual concerning wheel bearings and it said something about letting a mechanic with the correct tools do the repairs. What are some things I can check? Where can I buy the correct bearings online (96GXE)? Does it require buying anything else with the repair? How vital is this repair? I live in Germany so I can't take the vehicle to the dealer who repaired it.
1) Verify that all wheel nuts are tight.

2) Raise the car. If you have a floor jack you can raise the entire front end at once, and test both front wheel bearings. No need for jackstands, as you will not get under the car.

3) Grab the top of the tire (12 o'clock) and push away from yourself and pull toward yourself. Yank it to and fro in this fashion several times. If there is noticeable free play or a "clunking" sound, the wheel bearing may be damaged.

4) Spin the wheel. If it spins freely but makes ugly sounds the wheel bearing may be damaged. If it won't spin freely the brake may be dragging. This could indicate a sticking caliper.

5) Remove the wheel. Make a careful visual inspection of the brake and surrounding parts. See if...
- the stamped sheet metal baffle plate has been bent and is rubbing the rotor
- a pebble or other foreign body has become trapped and is rubbing the rotor.
- a brake shim has slipped out of position and is rubbing the rotor.
Old 09-10-2001, 07:26 AM

Replacement wheel bearings may be purchased from Web vendors such as PartsAmerica.Com. A word of caution: servicing wheel bearings requires a special tool such as ...
- a hydraulic press
- Hub Shark http://www.mytoolstore.com/oldforge/olf06.html
- Hub Tamer http://www.mile-x.com/otchubtamer.html
Old 09-10-2001, 10:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Last weekend, I replaced the brake pads and had the rotors turned. I spent plenty of time cleaning the brake assembly with brake cleaner and inspected the calipers. However this did not help. All it did was stop the brakes from squeeling as much as previously. I did inspect the stamped steel plate residing behind the rotors and verified that it was not touching the rotors as they spin. How can I tell if a caliper is sticking? When you refer to sticking is that the piston?
Old 09-11-2001, 06:23 AM

... How can I tell if a caliper is sticking? ...
A quick and easy test...
A sticking caliper will generate a lot of heat, and that will be harmful. It is also a good diagnostic symptom. Drive on a highway where the brakes are not used much. After fifteen minutes, pull off the highway in a safe location. Walk around the car and feel each wheel. A wheel with a stuck caliper is likely to be hotter than the others. Be careful, because it might be so hot you will burn your hand.

A more thorough but time-consuming test...
Remove the brake pads and push the piston back into the caliper, just as if you were about to install new pads. If the piston won't move something is wrong. Remember that front brake pistons may be pushed straight back, but rear pistons must be turned.

... When you refer to sticking is that the piston?
Yes.