4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how about vs. a lexus is300?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 07:38 PM

how about vs. a lexus is300?

well well, i took you guys' advice and decided to go up against my friend in his is300. and guess who won? man of course you know the maxima won. i was actually really suprised, and you can bet my friend's mouth was gaping wide open after we pulled in a parking lot. we sat at the red light for a minute, then it turned green. i immediately launched half a car length in front of him, and kept my gain throughout the little strip. now, i don't know if it's because he was distracted, or because he had a passenger in the car (around 150 lbs.), but the fact still remains that i beat him. trust me, there will be more races, i jsut got some new equipment(lightweight rims), and i need to get better tires, but i got so excited that i beat him. this was the first time that i raced with it shifted down to first gear(in an auto), and wow, i could tell the difference. from now on i won't even worry about those little celica's. i still think the is300 should have beat me though. i mean, 190hp vs. 215hp, plus he had better tires, triptonic gear shifting(which he was using), and the all important rear wheel drive. let me know what you think.
Old 09-23-2001, 08:12 PM
hjerrod

Re: how about vs. a lexus is300?

you didn't mention whether not you had any mods, but you said 190hp so assuming you have a stock auto an is300 should come out on top, not by a whole lot though. maybe he was having a bad day.

Old 09-23-2001, 08:16 PM

A kill is a kill, and this is a nice one.

Kirk
Old 10-19-2001, 10:31 PM
rll96se

Re: how about vs. a lexus is300?

Originally posted by Ruckus
well well, i took you guys' advice and decided to go up against my friend in his is300. and guess who won? man of course you know the maxima won. i was actually really suprised, and you can bet my friend's mouth was gaping wide open after we pulled in a parking lot. we sat at the red light for a minute, then it turned green. i immediately launched half a car length in front of him, and kept my gain throughout the little strip. now, i don't know if it's because he was distracted, or because he had a passenger in the car (around 150 lbs.), but the fact still remains that i beat him. trust me, there will be more races, i jsut got some new equipment(lightweight rims), and i need to get better tires, but i got so excited that i beat him. this was the first time that i raced with it shifted down to first gear(in an auto), and wow, i could tell the difference. from now on i won't even worry about those little celica's. i still think the is300 should have beat me though. i mean, 190hp vs. 215hp, plus he had better tires, triptonic gear shifting(which he was using), and the all important rear wheel drive. let me know what you think.
Ruckus,
Actually don't be surprised you beat the IS3. From the a dead stop, "we" are dawgs. Our transmission was designed to shift really smooth so we lose precious 0-60 seconds. Also, the autos shifts into third before 60 so again, tenths of seconds go by due to the ultra smooth shifts. Race your friend from a 60-70 punch and see what happens then. The IS3 was made to be a top end performer similar to its German competitors. Oh, one more thing - the IS is kinda heavy despite its smaller size than the Max. Its around 3300lbs so factor that in to your question of 190 vs. 215 hp.

Old 10-20-2001, 07:11 AM

0-60 for a IS300 is 7.6, which is actually slower than a '95 Maxima. The quarters are about the same also. The IS300's charm comes from the suspension, DEFINITELY not the engine.
Old 10-20-2001, 01:19 PM
rll96se

Originally posted by medicsonic
0-60 for a IS300 is 7.6, which is actually slower than a '95 Maxima. The quarters are about the same also. The IS300's charm comes from the suspension, DEFINITELY not the engine.
FYI - R&T mag got 7.1 out of the auto IS3. Some people have gotten below 7 with an intake and exhaust. Stock exhaust is really restrictive. HKS has an exhaust (actually non catback just the muffler!) that can put 11hp to the wheels dyno tested without the ricey noise. Oh one more thing medisonic, my engine isn't that bad - I'd rather have mine than my friend's 98 325i Bimmer that seems to have something go wrong every month!

Hey Ruckus - have you been able to race your friend again?

Old 10-20-2001, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by rll96se

FYI - R&T mag got 7.1 out of the auto IS3. Some people have gotten below 7 with an intake and exhaust. Stock exhaust is really restrictive. HKS has an exhaust (actually non catback just the muffler!) that can put 11hp to the wheels dyno tested without the ricey noise. Oh one more thing medisonic, my engine isn't that bad - I'd rather have mine than my friend's 98 325i Bimmer that seems to have something go wrong every month!

Hey Ruckus - have you been able to race your friend again?
I've smoked an is3, with a 99 5-spd with cat back and pop. I had an adult passenger and he was solo. beat him bad, several times.