4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I think somethings wrong with my automatic...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 01:46 PM

I think somethings wrong with my automatic...

Well this started last night while I was doing the local "bogan laps".
the trans shifts and everything, but the shift themselves are very very harsh. ie, 1st > 2nd is really bad while the rest get better. not so bad while under hard acceleration but dam, under light throttle its like the trans wants to split apart or something. This startted suddenly and I have no Idea what it is. I wasnt driving hard or doing anything I shouldant have been doing. I cant get to a dealer for a few days, but need to dive the car, will it damage the trans? (im thinking yes)
Old 09-28-2001, 02:05 PM

Dropping resistor

Originally posted by NZ Max
the trans shifts and everything, but the shift themselves are very very harsh. ie, 1st > 2nd is really bad while the rest get better. not so bad while under hard acceleration but dam, under light throttle its like the trans wants to split apart or something. This startted suddenly and I have no Idea what it is. I wasnt driving hard or doing anything I shouldant have been doing. I cant get to a dealer for a few days, but need to dive the car, will it damage the trans? (im thinking yes)
Please check your dropping resistor. This component is mounted on the front side of the driver's side strut tower. It has a gray plastic connector with two wires. This test is made with the ignition off. Disconnect the connector and use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance. It should be about 12 ohms.
Old 09-28-2001, 02:12 PM

TPS

A defective or misadjusted TPS could cause excessive shock when your automatic transmission shifts.

The Throttle Position Sensor detects the throttle valve position and sends a signal to the Engine Control Module.

The Throttle Position Switch consists of a Wide Open Throttle position switch and a Closed Throttle position switch. The WOT switch sends a signal when the throttle is open at least 1/2 of the WOT position. The CT switch sends a signal when the throttle is fully closed.

The Sensor and Switch are integrated into one unit designated TPS. It is mounted on the rear face of the Throttle Body, in a reasonably accessible location. Procedures for testing, adjusting, and replacing the TPS appear in the Chilton repair manual (page 4-18) and the Haynes repair manual (page 6-8). These procedures require only an ohmmeter and a screwdriver.
Old 09-28-2001, 04:20 PM

Re: Dropping resistor

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Please check your dropping resistor. This component is mounted on the front side of the driver's side strut tower. It has a gray plastic connector with two wires. This test is made with the ignition off. Disconnect the connector and use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance. It should be about 12 ohms.
It measured heaps. so I guess this peice is shot. will it be okay to drive like that for a few days? is the tranny in sort of a safe mode? or a blow to bits mode?
Old 09-28-2001, 06:34 PM

Re: Re: Dropping resistor

It measured heaps. so I guess this peice is shot. will it be okay to drive like that for a few days? is the tranny in sort of a safe mode? or a blow to bits mode?
Yikes, shifting that harsh can't be good for the tranny, I'd be safe about it and find an alternate means of transporation if I were you...the two days your waiting or whatever are not worth the price of a new tranny
Old 09-29-2001, 07:30 AM

Re: Re: Dropping resistor

Somewhere in between those extremes. Suggestions ...
1) Minimize the number of miles driven until repairs can be made.
2) Find a friend who drives a 4Gen Maxima and measure his dropping resistor for purposes of comparison. If he is willing, borrow his dropping resistor for a five-minute test drive. This experiment will reveal if the resistor is the cause, and the only cause, of your symptom.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:01 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You may just head on down to Radio Shack and pick up a resistor around 12 ohms or so, and I'd assume around 5Watts. Just put it in place for the time being and your trans should shift better. Actually come to think of it, if you just went up a little in resistance, perhaps thats a good mod in making the slushey auto shift just a bit harder??? IDEA ! ! ! !
Old 09-29-2001, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
You may just head on down to Radio Shack and pick up a resistor around 12 ohms or so, and I'd assume around 5Watts. Just put it in place for the time being and your trans should shift better. Actually come to think of it, if you just went up a little in resistance, perhaps thats a good mod in making the slushey auto shift just a bit harder??? IDEA ! ! ! !
A good idea. Ben Garner had the same idea too. Go to http://bgarner.tripod.com/1995nissanmaxima/id3.html and read the article How To Make A Shift Control for Your Auto Transmission.
Old 09-29-2001, 11:05 AM

Before checking the electronics, have you checked your ATF level recently?? You will be surprised how low ATF level will affect your shift quality. Make sure you don't have too much ATF in there as well.

The Maxima uses Dextron III ATF.
Old 09-29-2001, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
How about a variable resistor? I think that way in theory you couldd get an in between of slushy and harsh.

Would I be right or wrong?

Maybe a dial mounter in the cabin, or even better, how bout a factory nissan switch for dimming the dash lights wired properly to do this instead?

Just some Ideas...
Old 09-30-2001, 01:27 PM

How about a variable resistor? I think that way in theory you couldd get an in between of slushy and harsh. ...
Ben Garner tried a variable resistor... and it burst into flame! He then realized that he needed a high-power "pot" to make it work but decided the switch suited his purposes well enough.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Ben Garner tried a variable resistor... and it burst into flame! He then realized that he needed a high-power "pot" to make it work but decided the switch suited his purposes well enough.
Daniel B. Martin, I forgot to say thanks for finding the problem with my trans. Ive noticed that some people dont say thank you to you when you help them.
Old 10-01-2001, 01:13 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Ive noticed that some people dont say thank you to you when you help them.
Amen to that.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

How about a variable resistor? I think that way in theory you could get an in between of slushy and harsh.

Would I be right or wrong?

Maybe a dial mounter in the cabin, or even better, how bout a factory nissan switch for dimming the dash lights wired properly to do this instead?

Just some Ideas...
Excellent idea. By the looks of things and my electornics backround, I'm thinking 25Watt wire wound pot from perhaps 0 - 12 ohms? That sould make a really nice mod for firmer shifts.