4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HID

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 08:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Does anyone know if there is a kit or if there was any possibilitys for installing HID lights on a 4th Gen max? could an infiniti hid setup as far as wiring harnesses and mounting hardware possibly work?
Old 10-30-2000, 09:03 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by md53
Does anyone know if there is a kit or if there was any possibilitys for installing HID lights on a 4th Gen max? could an infiniti hid setup as far as wiring harnesses and mounting hardware possibly work?
From the max faq:
"Can I install a HID kit on the 3rd, 4th, or 5th gen Maxima?
Will the kits fit? Yes. Should you install a kit? No. Why? There are several reasons why you should not. One is the fact that you will lose the use of your high beams. 9004 and H-4 bulbs are dual filaments, it contains both high beam and low beam filaments where as the HID bulb is a single filament bulb. You DO need high beams. Why? Sure HIDs are going to be bright, but high beams are aim differently and there will be time when you need to use your high beams to seem further. Also high beams are often used as a way to communicate with other drivers. You will lose the ability to do this. The second, and probably the most important, reason you should not do a conversion is the fact that your beam pattern will be destroyed(This applies mostly to the 3rd and 4th gens. 5th gens will have this to a lesser degree because the H-4 bulb filament is vertical). 9004 bulb filaments are horizontal relative to the bulb socket. HID bulbs are vertical. Your reflectors are designed with the horizontal filament in mind. The light output will glare a lot and will blind on coming drivers. "

-Shing
Old 10-30-2000, 09:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have them in my car,

The beam pattern is a little off they kind of behave like aftermarket foglights because they light every thing up.I like the lights they look awsome and you can see a lot more.I do miss highbeams a little but not much because with all my headlights I get pretty good distance anyways.On coming traffic doesnt seem to mind them much since I rarely if ever get high beamed.
Old 10-30-2000, 10:09 AM
The missing moderator

Re: I have them in my car,

Originally posted by emax95
The beam pattern is a little off they kind of behave like aftermarket foglights because they light every thing up.I like the lights they look awsome and you can see a lot more.I do miss highbeams a little but not much because with all my headlights I get pretty good distance anyways.On coming traffic doesnt seem to mind them much since I rarely if ever get high beamed.
I was thinking about the high beam deal the other day. I was thinig, what if you mounted soemthing like that Hella Micro DE fog lights in teh grill and aim it higher, wire it to the high beams... could work.

Also, GotRice mentioned the other day that the pattern does not get screwed that bad. I was thinking the biggest issue is light shooting too high. What if you put in some of those "eye brows" to cover up the top portion of the healigh housing? cut of the light a little up there?

I'll see how my kit works on the CRX... if I like it, I may buy anotehr set of the Maxima... if it works out, I'll change teh FAQ.

-Shing
Old 10-30-2000, 10:14 AM

Ahh, but Shing >>

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shingles
[I]
Also, GotRice mentioned the other day that the pattern does not get screwed that bad. I was thinking the biggest issue is light shooting too high. What if you put in some of those "eye brows" to cover up the top portion of the healigh housing? cut of the light a little up there?

I'll see how my kit works on the CRX... if I like it, I may buy anotehr set of the Maxima... if it works out, I'll change teh FAQ.

-Shing
Dude, the light that goes high actually comes from the bottom portion of the lamp's reflector. Take a look at an H4 bulb...when mounted, the little plate covers the bottom of the low beam filament. This prevents light emanating from the filament fro striking the bottom area of the reflector adn bouncing upward. That's how H4 headlamps achieve the cutoff. Eyelids won't do jack...I've tried it.

Frankly, I give up on HID lighting for Maximas...I'd be happy enough if someone would make a headlamp that fits the 4th Gens that uses the H4 bulb. Or maybe some projectors like they have for Hondas...using the 9006/9005 combo.
Old 10-30-2000, 10:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am going to try to post some pics soon hopefully

I have held off because the prints I made suck and I just ordored a Kodak DC280 Digicam so I will take a mess load of pictures and choose my favorites and attempt to post them here.
Old 10-30-2000, 10:37 AM
The missing moderator

Re: Ahh, but Shing >>

Hmmm... ok how abuot this.

last night as I was driving back from Dallas, there was a J30 next to me. I noticed that it has fairly square head lights. what am I thinking? Take the projectors out of their housing and mount them to the Maxima. You get two things: 1) projectors head lights and 2) 9006 lights! What that means is you too can have HIDs and High beams... wonder how much that would cost....

-Shing

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Albertt
[I]
Originally posted by Shingles

-Shing
Dude, the light that goes high actually comes from the bottom portion of the lamp's reflector. Take a look at an H4 bulb...when mounted, the little plate covers the bottom of the low beam filament. This prevents light emanating from the filament fro striking the bottom area of the reflector adn bouncing upward. That's how H4 headlamps achieve the cutoff. Eyelids won't do jack...I've tried it.

Frankly, I give up on HID lighting for Maximas...I'd be happy enough if someone would make a headlamp that fits the 4th Gens that uses the H4 bulb. Or maybe some projectors like they have for Hondas...using the 9006/9005 combo.
Old 10-30-2000, 01:10 PM

Re: Re: Ahh, but Shing >>

Originally posted by Shingles
[I]Hmmm... ok how abuot this.

last night as I was driving back from Dallas, there was a J30 next to me. I noticed that it has fairly square head lights. what am I thinking? Take the projectors out of their housing and mount them to the Maxima. You get two things: 1) projectors head lights and 2) 9006 lights! What that means is you too can have HIDs and High beams... wonder how much that would cost....

-Shing
I'm going to look into this.