4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Attention: Daniel B. Martin

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 02:20 AM

Attention: Daniel B. Martin

I read some of your replies to posts about manual transmission problems with 4th gen maxima and would like to get your thoughts on a difficult situation I am in myself with an 5 speed I30 I own. It is currently at the dealer who pulled the tranny and opened the case. Inside shows ground up metal deposits from a chipped bearing. The overall amount of metal deposited in the bottom of the case in about the size of a thumb. The car has 60500 miles on it when I brought it in because of transmission noise problems and is still under Infiniti's powertrain warranty which is good until 70k miles. The dealer has however refused the repair the vehicle under this warranty citing that improper driving as cause for the failure and wants to charge me $3500 for repairs. They pointed out that because I have a rear sway bar, cai, and fstb, and due to the worn condition of the clutch that it is not a warranty issue. Now I think the dealer is just trying to screw me over, and I am thinking of taking legal action, but I am wondering how valid their claim of improper driving would stand up. I purchased this vehicle from first owner with 46k on it and although I have added these aftermarket parts I have in no way raced it on the streets or the track. Sorry for such a long post but I would really appreciate some feedback on this.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:14 AM

Dealers cannot refuse warranty repair unless they can prove that a modification of yours is responsible for the breakdown. So, if the rear shocks failed, they can say the RSB caused it (I dunno how it is possible, but it may be related). Similarly, if you have an engine problem, any intake or exhaust mod can be grounds for not honoring the warranty. The transmission is a touchy issue, since they can claim with the CAI, you rev the car harder than normal, and in that abuse the transmission.

I would try taking the car to another dealer and see what they say.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:28 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

To further expand Eric's point, you're going to have to be deceptive at this point.

Take your mods off, put the stock intake back on and go to another Infiniti dealer.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:40 AM

Re: Attention: Daniel B. Martin

Originally posted by chandos
I read some of your replies to posts about manual transmission problems with 4th gen maxima and would like to get your thoughts on a difficult situation I am in myself with an 5 speed I30 I own. It is currently at the dealer who pulled the tranny and opened the case. Inside shows ground up metal deposits from a chipped bearing. The overall amount of metal deposited in the bottom of the case in about the size of a thumb. The car has 60500 miles on it when I brought it in because of transmission noise problems and is still under Infiniti's powertrain warranty which is good until 70k miles. The dealer has however refused the repair the vehicle under this warranty citing that improper driving as cause for the failure and wants to charge me $3500 for repairs. They pointed out that because I have a rear sway bar, cai, and fstb, and due to the worn condition of the clutch that it is not a warranty issue. Now I think the dealer is just trying to screw me over, and I am thinking of taking legal action, but I am wondering how valid their claim of improper driving would stand up. I purchased this vehicle from first owner with 46k on it and although I have added these aftermarket parts I have in no way raced it on the streets or the track. Sorry for such a long post but I would really appreciate some feedback on this.
There is really no way for hard driving to wear out those bearings. Abusive driving practices might result in transmission problems such as worn or broken synchronizers, bent shift forks, or jammed detent mechanisms... but not chipped or worn bearings.

Hard driving does not cause excessive wear on the power steering pump bearings.
Hard driving does not cause excessive wear on the water pump bearings.
Hard driving does not cause excessive wear on the alternator bearings.
Hard driving does not cause excessive wear on the transmission bearings.

Transmission bearings should last the life of the vehicle. If they don't the cause could be ...
- inadequate lubricant (a neglected leak)
- contaminated lubricant (water or abrasive particles)
- metallurgical defects (steel contained wrong amount of carbon)
- inadequate heat treatment (steel not properly hardened)
- manufacturing defects (rollers or races not ground to correct smoothness)
- assembly defect (excessive pre-load as a consequence of wrong shims)

IMHO the dealer is using your mods as a pretext for denying a legitimate warranty claim. He is not treating you fairly.
Old 10-03-2001, 10:01 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Have a lawyer write a letter to the dealer, I'm sure you'll get your car fixed PRONTO!
Old 10-03-2001, 01:19 PM

Have the local rep from Infiniti come to see the car if it is still there. I am assuming that they took it apart and you cannot take it to another dealer unless you tow it. If you get no satisfaction, take it to the next level, eithet the regional rep or the local reps boss. Keep on taking it up to higher levels until you are happy. They have to explain how they feel the mods caused the damage, I agree with Dan in that they have no affect at all. If you do not back down and sound like you know what you are talking about, it increases the odds of getting them to flip the bill. I would use an attorney as a last resort because of the cost. Also try a local tv newscast. Alot of them have consumer advocates that may be able to help. Don't give up and good luck.
Old 10-03-2001, 01:40 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Let us know how you make out. Tai Mai Shu has some very good advise. I once faught Honda on a transmission issue with 130,000 miles on it. After the rep came and heard my story and actually looked at the condition of my car, they actually met me 1/2 way with it. Keep in mind, I had no warrantee either. Basically what failed, shouldn't have and I even found technical service bullitens regarding my case as well.
Old 10-03-2001, 03:10 PM

Thank you all for the feedback and information. This is very helpful. Does anyone also know of any technical service bulletins out on manual transmissions for maxima/I30's that I can also use to help back my case?