4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

whine from passenger side of motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 02:59 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

whine from passenger side of motor

i hear a whine when driving from the right side of the motor. it happens at multiple speeds, 20,30,50 but it is at about 2300-2500 rpms and only when i am slightly on the throttle. it sounds like belt whine, but the belts seem tight. BUT i could be wrong. i do not hear it at idle either. have not checked it at a stop while pushing the throttle, i will be checking it when i go home tonight. i was wondering if anyone has had this or heard this???
Old 10-04-2001, 03:21 PM

Dry bearing

Originally posted by bags533
i hear a whine when driving from the right side of the motor. it happens at multiple speeds, 20,30,50 but it is at about 2300-2500 rpms and only when i am slightly on the throttle. it sounds like belt whine, but the belts seem tight. BUT i could be wrong. i do not hear it at idle either. have not checked it at a stop while pushing the throttle, i will be checking it when i go home tonight. i was wondering if anyone has had this or heard this???
Belt whine could come from a dry bearing in the belt idler/tensioner, air conditioning compressor clutch, or alternator. You may be able to locate the source with the rubber hose listening technique.
Old 10-04-2001, 03:25 PM

Rubber tube listening aid

A four-foot length of small diameter rubber vacuum hose will help you identify the source of an unusual sound. You can buy the hose in any auto parts store. They typically sell it in bulk for about US$0.80 per foot. Start the engine and let it idle. Put one end of the hose in your ear and the other end near any suspected source of noise. The engine compartment presents a cacophony of sound. The benefit of the hose is that it isolates the sound from one specific area. Work safely! Avoid contact with moving parts!

You may find it interesting to explore the sounds of your engine with this inexpensive tool. Each moving part has its own characteristic sound. For example, listen to the muted clicking of the fuel injectors. They should all sound alike. If you find one with a different sound (or no sound at all) you have found a problem.

The dealer's service department is equipped with high-tech diagnostic instruments. These are wonderful devices but they are expensive and the dealer has to recover his cost by charging you for diagnostic time. Sometimes the home mechanic can do legitimate diagnostic work with nothing more than a rubber tube.
Old 10-04-2001, 03:26 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

rubber hose??

is that where you put one side to your ear and the other roams around the engine until the noise is the loudest? i never heard of this but after 5 minutes of sitting here i kinda figured it out. ok, sounds like a good idea thank you