4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

PRCAI installed today. It's my 3rd intake.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 07:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :)

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

I personally understood the question, but was trying to find out why you had chose to go that route. As with every other thread in this forum people's opinion usually comes thru. I know that I personally enjoy people telling me what works best on our cars as opposed to what I THOUGHT worked great in my car which I had never before tried. People sometimes confuse advice with flame and that's a mistake. If you chose not to listen to advice it is entirely up to you, but you should be prepared to get different views in an open forum such as this.
To broaden your understanding... This is not a forum for argument, so I will not start today. 1st I agree with you. The difference was I wasn't asking for advice. I was asking for very specific instructions to advice that I had been given previously by another user of this forum. I wasn't asking about the price of tea in China, or anyones opinion on the matter. I apologize for your misunderstanding, but have the information I'm looking for.

Peace...
Old 04-18-2002, 08:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just finished installing my PR CAI yesterday. Took me 3 hours considering my hole saw bit was too big for my drill but I managed. Anyways when I took it on the road for a test drive I was impressed! That lil growl it unleashed is kinda badass...especially wide opened throttle in 2nd gear! Very happy over here!
Old 04-19-2002, 08:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :)

Finished the Ram Air Filter Charger yesterday... Very impressed. Did it a little differently than suggested, but it's working well.

Used black ABS instead of white PVC, and used 1 1/2" elbow joints instead of 2". Anyway, it worked great.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by breaux124

Or this
http://www.users.voicenet.com/~breaux/car/cai/cai.html

This is the CAI adapter kit with a JWT filter and velocity stack.
Please tell me that is not where the filter sits when a CIA is installed!!! Come On fellas!! I mean whats protecting the filter from Grit, mud, water ect? I dont' know about you's, but my tires kick up a lot ****. It looks so vulnerable sitting there so close to the wheel.....Someone PLEASE explain.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Capitone

Please tell me that is not where the filter sits when a CIA is installed!!! Come On fellas!! I mean whats protecting the filter from Grit, mud, water ect? I dont' know about you's, but my tires kick up a lot ****. It looks so vulnerable sitting there so close to the wheel.....Someone PLEASE explain.
From what I have gathered, that is where it rests... You have to cut a hole in your fender wall. Not for the squeemish...
Old 04-19-2002, 10:21 AM
I'll kill you. I mean it

The water problem is only a problem if you drive thru puddles of standing water that is deep enough to submerge the entire filter. That's about 6" or more. Either way if that's the concern all you have to do is buy the AEM bypass valve and it goes right on the CAI w/o any problems.
I had the Stillen HAI for about one year, I got in my new friends max that had basically the same mods as mine but instead he had the PRCAI

I was amazed at how hard the car pulled from the low end.

I went down to Place Racing in Azuza two weeks ago and picked up a CAI for myself. Installed that day. WOW

I noticed a lot more pull on the low end.

and now to answer your question. When I was waiting for my intake at the front of the shop I spoke with several of the guys in there and asked them if anyone has ever complained about getting water in the CAI. They said they have never had one negative response.

I asked if a bypass valve would help me if I was to be driving in the rain? He said dont even bother giving your money to AEM for the bypass valve. No point... the filter is high enough off the ground and the Monster Flow Filter has a Tachifier or something like that that helps prevent moisture getting in to the intake tube.

He said if I wanted to by the bypass valve just have it shipped to Place Racing directly and they would modify it so it will work directly with my CAI.

I said Wow you guys are great you would do that for me. He said sure anything to help you out.

The moral of the story is...they told me that if im gonna be driving in 6-8 puddles or more then I might have a problem.

Heres my 2 cents. Im gonna avoid puddles that deep...and enjoy the benefits of some colder air.

Mods:
Place Racing CAI
Unorthodox UDP
Stillen Y-pipe 2.5
Custom Test Pipe (no cat) 2.5
Greddy Cat-back SP 2.5
Stillen STS
Rebuilt transmission
Stillen lightened Flywheel
ACT Stage 2 clutch
Stillen FSTB
Stillen Rear Anti Sway bar
Stillen X drilled Rotors with Stillen Metal Matrix Pads
Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Old 04-19-2002, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by 1eyedcalibandit

I asked if a bypass valve would help me if I was to be driving in the rain? He said dont even bother giving your money to AEM for the bypass valve. No point... the filter is high enough off the ground and the Monster Flow Filter has a Tachifier or something like that that helps prevent moisture getting in to the intake tube.

He said if I wanted to by the bypass valve just have it shipped to Place Racing directly and they would modify it so it will work directly with my CAI.

That is exactly correct except for one thing: The AEM bypass valve will go onto a PR CAI w/o any modifications to either the valve or the CAI. All you have to do is remove one of the rubber connections just before the downward bend on the pipe and replace it with the AEM valve. Fit perfect and didn't have to modify.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:37 AM

the fender lining is between the tire and filter, also if you are worried about it coming in the front you can block that with a pair of factory fogs or put some mesh n there like me
Old 04-19-2002, 11:53 AM

The pics in the link you saw are showing with the fender splash cover removed for clarity purposes. When finished, the splash cover is between the elements and the filter. The filter in no way comes into contact with water, mud, ice, etc. unless submerged.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:00 PM

The pics in the link you saw are showing with the fender splash cover removed for clarity purposes. When finished, the splash cover is between the elements and the filter. The filter in no way comes into contact with water, mud, ice, etc. unless submerged.
Phew! I thought something was missing, just couldn't place my finger on it. Now its all coming together. The fender cover is protecting the filter. On the flip side, wouldn't this also make regular maintenance of your filter a pain in the A$$.....
Old 04-19-2002, 03:17 PM

Phew! I thought something was missing, just couldn't place my finger on it. Now its all coming together. The fender cover is protecting the filter. On the flip side, wouldn't this also make regular maintenance of your filter a pain in the A$$.....
It just takes two or three 10mm bolts a couple of turns and then the bottom cover can be pulled out of the way to reveal the bottom part of the fender cavity you saw in the pics. To take the filter out and do any maintainance takes about 5 mins. Not bad at all. Anyway, unless you do a lot of 4x4 the filter doesn't need service that often.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:47 PM

That is exactly correct except for one thing: The AEM bypass valve will go onto a PR CAI w/o any modifications to either the valve or the CAI. All you have to do is remove one of the rubber connections just before the downward bend on the pipe and replace it with the AEM valve. Fit perfect and didn't have to modify.
Do you have a picture of this installed with the bypass?
Old 04-19-2002, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by bigmaxhi

Do you have a picture of this installed with the bypass?
I do, but unfortunately my cousin borrowed my digital cam and they are all in there. Will try and post ASAP. What I did was take the very last rubber connection just before the downward bend on the CAI and replaced it with the AEM bypass valve. It fits perfect. Didn't have to rearrange anything. The PR CAI has 3 of these "rubber connectors" that can be adjusted by sliding up or down into the tube of the CAI to fit correctly. I just played with it a bit until I had just enough to slide the valve in and tighten it down right. Fits like a glove.