4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I think I lost power....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 11:55 PM

I think I lost power....

It feels like my car lost some power, now my theory for this can be one of the two, if not both...
1 - I installed a cone filter, which I hear takes away some low end
2 - IT seems like my stok Ypipe, right after the precat is rusting away, so there may be a leak, but I don't know how to tell!

Can someone help me. I Need that power back!

I do hear a slight Hissss when I drive, but I am not sure what it is, it seems like it is comming from under the car, not from the hood, so I am not sure.

Please post some feedback!
Old 10-13-2001, 07:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

my stock y was all rusted but i didnt lose power. you lose low end from the intake if you put a UDP on you will get your power back, it doesnt make your car go faster, but you will get that little bit of low end that you lost back. If you can deal without having power untill you hit about 3k RPM, then dont waste the money on the UDP and purchase an aftermarket Y for about a hundred bucks more
-Barto
Old 10-13-2001, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by 95GreenGLE
my stock y was all rusted but i didnt lose power. you lose low end from the intake if you put a UDP on you will get your power back, it doesnt make your car go faster, but you will get that little bit of low end that you lost back. If you can deal without having power untill you hit about 3k RPM, then dont waste the money on the UDP and purchase an aftermarket Y for about a hundred bucks more
-Barto
i was thinking about both... eventually
Old 10-13-2001, 08:48 AM
Kevlo for President

how much is a UDP
Old 10-13-2001, 09:21 AM

UDP is on sale in the GD forum, something like 225+ship, but it comes with belts.
Old 10-13-2001, 11:15 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 95GreenGLE
UDP is on sale in the GD forum, something like 225+ship, but it comes with belts.
you can get one from coz@ultimatez.com for 200shipped with belts. and the y pipe will make you lose even more low end. and a cone intake will his almost all the time.
Old 10-13-2001, 12:59 PM

Is there ANY advantage of the CONE???

If it takes away from the low end, what ARE the advantages, if there are even any??
Old 10-13-2001, 01:25 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Re: Is there ANY advantage of the CONE???

Originally posted by BlackMaxAaron
If it takes away from the low end, what ARE the advantages, if there are even any??
It gives you a lil' more high-end, and a cool deeper girgle sound when accelerating. Also, I've never heard of the Y pipe or exhaust TAKING AWAY low end.

Does anyone know if a Superchip aka ECU upgrade will add low end power ??
Old 10-13-2001, 01:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A leaking y-pipe will definitely cause you to lose low-end, depending on the size of the leak is how severe the power loss will be. A cone filter does give gains, they're just felt higher in the rev range. I think Cheston dyno'd his car with CAI vs. another car with a Stillen cone intake and the gains were similar, just in different ends of the rev range.
Old 10-13-2001, 02:14 PM

Re: I think I lost power....

to check leaks, on a cold, jacked car, turn the engine on and check the exhaust for hot air with your hand--the piping will still be warm to touch for a few minutes, so don't be afraid. You may even be able to see the spurts of exhaust fumes. Not only should you check the joints, but also the flex section of the Y. Check the whole exhaust, from Y to muffler.
Old 10-13-2001, 04:00 PM

Re: Re: I think I lost power....

Originally posted by Mishmosh
to check leaks, on a cold, jacked car, turn the engine on and check the exhaust for hot air with your hand--the piping will still be warm to touch for a few minutes, so don't be afraid. You may even be able to see the spurts of exhaust fumes. Not only should you check the joints, but also the flex section of the Y. Check the whole exhaust, from Y to muffler.
I think my pipe is definatelly leaking, the heatshield or whatever that part is right after the precat, is completely rusted, I can move it with my hand it turn it. It looks very bad!
I think I am gonna order a pipe from budget Exhaust.

My cone filter did take away some low end, but not as much as I lost now! But I love the high end power gain it gave me, and the sound is Shweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

what would a UDP give me? is it worth it?
Old 10-13-2001, 04:30 PM

Get an ECU upgrade. That'll take care of your low-end woe's.
Old 10-13-2001, 04:59 PM

might wanna get your alternator checked out
Old 10-13-2001, 06:47 PM

can you elaborate

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Get an ECU upgrade. That'll take care of your low-end woe's.
I keep hearing about this ECU upgrade but never bothered to find out exactly what it is or what it does!?
Old 10-14-2001, 09:12 AM

Re: can you elaborate

Originally posted by Riot^

I keep hearing about this ECU upgrade but never bothered to find out exactly what it is or what it does!?
The ECU upgrade remaps your stock fuel program, thus allowing the car to run more efficiently and leaner up in the mid to top end rpms. The upgrade also will raise the rev limiter and eliminate the speed limiter in some cases. I've also heard it does better for low end too ?? Well, my friend thinks it'll add 30HP to his lightning

Maybe someone could give this guy a better answer.
Old 10-14-2001, 11:56 AM

Re: Re: can you elaborate

Originally posted by Craig Mack

The ECU upgrade remaps your stock fuel program, thus allowing the car to run more efficiently and leaner up in the mid to top end rpms. The upgrade also will raise the rev limiter and eliminate the speed limiter in some cases. I've also heard it does better for low end too ?? Well, my friend thinks it'll add 30HP to his lightning

Maybe someone could give this guy a better answer.
On blown cars a remapped fuel curve will usually have a lot more effect than on an n/a car. On top of 380, it's not absurd to expect 30 more HP.
Old 10-14-2001, 02:27 PM

It had to be the rusted Y-pipe. didn't I hear that 5spd cars don't lose any low end torque with a popcharger?
Old 10-14-2001, 03:11 PM

In any case...

Originally posted by JUDE
It had to be the rusted Y-pipe. didn't I hear that 5spd cars don't lose any low end torque with a popcharger?
In any case I will probably be ordering that Ypipe from Budget exhaust pretty soon.
I just need to fix some leak on the car, seems like my tranny fluid is leaking! Not a good thing I hear! Well, anything leaking is not a good thing!