4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Squealing noise near starter area

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:00 PM

Squealing noise near starter area

I hope someone can help me figure out what this noise is and where it's coming from. It's a squealing noise that I thought was coming from one of the belts but after asking a few friends I think it's coming from the starter area. I replaced the starter a few days ago and it started fine and there is no problem with the new starter. A mechanic friend of mine that works on my car thinks it might be the torque converter but he never heard of a noise coming from that before. If anyone has had a similar problem or has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so you replaced the starter...and the noise went away, and you are wondering whether it was the old starter or not? sorry, just a little confused. if that's the case then your old starter needed to be regreased.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM

I didn't have the noise before, my starter just went out and I replaced it and a few days later I had the noise. It could just be a coincidence that it's coming from that area. Sorry I wasn't clear on my thread..
Old 10-15-2007, 08:53 PM

possible vacuum leak ? to replace the starter the whole intake comes off maybe you did not re-connect one of the hoses properly?

are you sure its coming from that side of the engine bay ? if its on the other side it could be the idler pulley, crank shaft pulley, or belts

does it happen only when you drive or also when standing or idling, does it happen all the time at any rpm ?

more info needed, also a video with sound would greatly help...
Old 10-15-2007, 09:12 PM

Yea, I have a short ram intake and I hooked everything up right. At first I swore it was coming from the belt area but tonight we were listening and it seems its coming from the area below the starter, maybe in the trans. Its more noticeable when it's standing and idling but you can here it at 40-50 mph a little. A squealing, tinging noise, I'll try and get a sound clip somehow. P.S. that's a real nice ride you have, love the color...
Old 10-16-2007, 06:43 PM

I figured out what the noise was, the new starter I got was wrong or defective and it wasn't meshing with the fly wheel or so I was told. It's under warranty so I'm getting another one wed. Guess the new starters are 10 or 11 tooth which should be interchangeable, any tips for replacing starters guys?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the car complements man, i LIKE to think its rare cause i have Cloth with sunroof package which is rare in the states but a little more common up here in canada, the colour is rare i think

The starter hmm: i replaced mine just a few weeks ago

Get the 11 tooth thats what i got - i think early maxes came with 8 tooth and later ones came with 10 tooth, or so the fsm mentioned

TIP: That lower (larger) bolt will give you $hit, it requires a breaker bar for sure, i bent my cheap wal-mart wench doing it

also if you cant get it off that way, get a normal open end wrench, put it on the bolt, and tap it with a hammer until the bolt gives, you should be able to shake it free...good luck and be careful with the electrical connectors, they were dried up and full of salt and debris so they were a bit of a pain to disconnect too!

PS: this may help along with the motorvade instructions http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~microso...ter/index.html