4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

LED Boards For '99 tails

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by SFox420
can someone just set me up with a good tutorial ill do it myself
No. No one will do that. If they did then no one would be in this thread, they would be doing it themselves already. Do research.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:47 PM

im willing to pay whatever it costs for those led tail lights. if anyone is making them and selling them let me know.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2

They are nice arent they...

Point here fellas is that hey are ***** AND A HALF to make... Kevlo had a good plan since he had etched his boards... i made mine by hand... took me a solid week of design and soldering to complete...
I've been doing some reading on LED tail lights and i think i may attempt them, i will be making them by hand just as you did. I was just wondering what color of LED you used, are they just straight red? i thought i read somewhere to use an red/orange LED
Old 10-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Kevlo for President

I had completely custom boards with superflux LED's. Do some research on HID planet on how to make your own tails. I can't really make a writeup since my boards cost a hefty penny just to make.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:16 PM
nycmaximas member

I thought I saw a write up... There was instructions on going to a website where you designed your led set-up and ordered the boards??? I think you had to solder the leds in to the board after they arrived??? My memory is bad but I do remember seeing this thread... Just do some more searches...
Old 10-21-2007, 01:34 PM

Kevlo, did your circuit board follow the contour of the outer tail lights? Im assuming it didnt, but if it did, DUDE! That would be awesome.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:02 PM

here is one of the threads i have found in my research that gives a good starting point. Please do not spam this guy with questions though.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/f-q...arker-faq.html
Old 10-21-2007, 10:27 PM

If someone will bother to make some sets, than we can do a 50% down payment. I would definitely be down for this. Or give me some time and after I get out of college in January maybe I can attempt to make these myself and offer them for sale.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 AM

man im starting to want some of these again. I would definitely make my own but im curious about how the boards are secured down into the housing so they dont flop around.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:17 AM

Ever since i saw the led tails i wanted to buy some but like everyone else (apparently) i didn't have the cash. I'm thinkin i wanna try to make some of my own so im gonna do some research and hopefully make them alright. The only real problem i can see right now is how to make it brighter when u hit the brakes. Any ideas? I was thinking that if i do every other row for driving lights and the rows in between for the brakes it would work but i dunno if any of the driving lights are on other than the brake lights too. I dunno...
Old 10-22-2007, 06:57 AM

I loved the LDE tails when I first got my Max and I wanted to get them so bad but when I heard about the price I was like !!! Over $400 starting?! they they stopped making them... lol

There were a few items that ppl just stopped making... There was a member here that even made custom pedals for you and he stopped like right before I got my max.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Former Vendor

yeah... quality parts are becoming harder and harder to find. also, a lot of ppl aren't willing to spend as much as they used to now that the '95 is 12 years old.

i would have payed $400 in a heartbeat, i just never saw these were for sale. i payed $300 for red/clears (as did everybody before ebay started selling them) back in the day, and would again if i could get something of that quality.

back ot. i'm going to give my contact a call today and see if i can get some details. i have a set of lights here so i'll try to get some approximate measurements.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Reece616
Ever since i saw the led tails i wanted to buy some but like everyone else (apparently) i didn't have the cash. I'm thinkin i wanna try to make some of my own so im gonna do some research and hopefully make them alright. The only real problem i can see right now is how to make it brighter when u hit the brakes. Any ideas? I was thinking that if i do every other row for driving lights and the rows in between for the brakes it would work but i dunno if any of the driving lights are on other than the brake lights too. I dunno...
research a PWM. That's how the current is controled to make them brighter. Doing every other row will look bad IMO.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Former Vendor

i've seen a car that came factory with the every-other-row setup (don't remember what car though). didn't look bad but didn't look as good as the other way.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:47 PM

research a PWM.
what's that? haha
does it stand for something or is that what it's called?
thanks.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Reece616
I duno man honestly after all the research i've done i totally agree with the people that were making them deciding to stop. Building each tail light properly is a pretty lengthy process, even just 1 buyer backing out, out of 20, is a huge issue. And I mean these guys were offering LED tails at a steal of a price and buyers still backed out. If you go to a shop and say fab me up some LED tails they are going to probably cost you $500+ a side. Not to mention if its someone on the board you essentially have a lifetime warrenty where as at a shop you'll have what a 30day warranty? No wonder the guys building the tails stopped, it was a complete waste of their time
Old 10-22-2007, 07:19 PM

yea, i kno, just from what i've done so far and the research i've done i can tell it's gonna be a PITA. I wasn't one of the people that backed out tho, i just saw them and thought they were sweet, but i didn't have the money so i didn't bother...i thought i heard someone say they were going for like 400, which is kind of expensive, but like u said, at a shop it would be more. I figured if i take my time, and work at it, i can make a set for much cheaper, so i wanted to give it a try. any info any one has on it would be greatly appreciated tho...
Old 10-22-2007, 08:23 PM

kevlo was selling his for 300 a set. They were very nice tho and did require a lot of work. Making them on your own is a lot of work. I've only been doing research for two weeks and am still on that part. The work itself will be very lengthy. If I was to make a set for someone else it would be a lot of money. Not just because of parts but because of the amount of time needed. If you guys want them then start doing research because from my experience, you have a lot of stuff to research.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 PM

like i said its a pain in the *** to get them dont correctly... i took me a solid week of working about 6 hours a day on them..

im never doing them again... WAY too much work..
Old 10-23-2007, 05:38 AM

i wonder if anybody is willing to pay kevlo in advance, if he'd go ahead and make a set.... just a thought... since last time, everybody wanted to buy some, but ditched on him when the product was finished....
Old 10-23-2007, 06:35 AM
Former Vendor

Well lets find out.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Twan013
i wonder if anybody is willing to pay kevlo in advance, if he'd go ahead and make a set.... just a thought... since last time, everybody wanted to buy some, but ditched on him when the product was finished....
no he's said before that he will not make them again. You guys want them then make them.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
no he's said before that he will not make them again. You guys want them then make them.
i think he can answer for himself, although i'm guessing he will say the same thing. but maybe offering to buy a few sets will change his mind. i mean honestly, i never even cared about led tails. what i DO care about is ebay crap being the ONLY option for a32 owners. i have been waiting on a back ordered product for ~2 months from an ebayer that is an a**, simply because there is nothing else available. by you trying to stop all the interest in kevlo's product you could just be hurting all of us. i promise there are more people willing to buy them than make them, and there are more people who just talk than both those put together.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
i think he can answer for himself, although i'm guessing he will say the same thing. but maybe offering to buy a few sets will change his mind. i mean honestly, i never even cared about led tails. what i DO care about is ebay crap being the ONLY option for a32 owners. i have been waiting on a back ordered product for ~2 months from an ebayer that is an a**, simply because there is nothing else available. by you trying to stop all the interest in kevlo's product you could just be hurting all of us. i promise there are more people willing to buy them than make them, and there are more people who just talk than both those put together.
How can you promise this?
Kevlo has stated that he does not have the time to make them, he is in school and its just not possible.
No one is trying to stop the interest but mearly informing you of whats already been stated. Just because you all of a sudden have the interest isnt going to change anyones mind.
The reason there is no market for the A32 is because no one ever wants to shell out cash for products. Yes they say there interested and want them, but never commit.
Kevlo sold his Led boards for 300.00, and everyone was crying that they were too much, not that there not availble anymore people once again are crying they want them and will pay for them.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 AM

People it is not that hard to make them. It just takes time and money. I posted a very usefull link for everyone to go to and read. The hardest part is getting the lenses off and thats a peice of cake. It took me all of 5 hours to do my led tails. Not saying that everyone can do it that fast in simply stateing that anyone can do it if they put there mind to it.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Former Vendor

i can promise it because the only led tails i'm seeing are kevlo's. if there are so many people willing to build them, where are theirs?

i mean, what is the purpose of telling me "he won't do it, he won't do it"? i'm still going to ask. maybe what i am willing to do for the community is a little more than you are assuming. if i was in school i would love to have the oppurtunity to make some decent money making something with my hands in the comfort of my house/shop. just because some people backed out on buying a set doesn't mean he will decline to make several pre-paid sets. i'm not saying he will accept, but i doubt it is a proposition he has recieved thus far.

i'm really don't understand why ANYBODY would be against trying to make this happen unless, of course, you already had a set and were just trying to make sure nobody else got any. i hope kevlo appreciates all the people who tried to save him from having to spend 60 seconds reading a pm.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Boosted Panda

i mean, what is the purpose of telling me "he won't do it, he won't do it"? i'm still going to ask.
Then freaking ask him already! PM him, email him, something besides posting up threads to whine about it.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Former Vendor

i sent him a pm well before you decided to jump in on this conversation. i don't know what your problem is and i don't want any resentment. i am simply seeing a product that is in demand and trying to make it available to the community. its called business. add that to my thorough disgust with "ebay products", and i think you can see that my intentions are good.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:57 AM

i sent him a pm well before you decided to jump in on this conversation. i don't know what your problem is and i don't want any resentment. i am simply seeing a product that is in demand and trying to make it available to the community. its called business. add that to my thorough disgust with "ebay products", and i think you can see that my intentions are good.
the problem is that we've already asked him. We've been here longer. We've asked him to start making them and we know first hand that he said he does not have the time anymore to be making them for people. You can get mad at us and tell us that we don't know what he'll say but the point was that he said no to a lot of people already so why expect he'd say yes to you because you offer money? I told him I'd pay in advance too. Still said he couldn't do it. But nvm my first hand experience.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by kzoosho
People it is not that hard to make them. It just takes time and money. I posted a very usefull link for everyone to go to and read. The hardest part is getting the lenses off and thats a peice of cake. It took me all of 5 hours to do my led tails. Not saying that everyone can do it that fast in simply stateing that anyone can do it if they put there mind to it.

Took you all of 5 hours hu?? lets see the result?
funny that it took me about a week or 35 hours to do everything... from design of the layout and PWM, to soldering over 1200 pins JUST for the LEDs them selves... and u did it in 5 hours... ?

There is a reason Kevlo isnt selling them.. cuz he should be charging $500 not 300.. hes barely making 100 bucks from each set...
Old 10-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Boosted Panda

Geez, its exactly like Cdg2125 stated. When I finished up my tails with Kevlo's LEDs and put the pic of them in my sig I got flooded with PM's in regards to where and how I did them. I then spoke to Kevlo and informed him and he stated to inform everyone that they were a limited production and no longer available. I had also spoken to him prior to that and he had already told me he just didnt have the time, nor was it worth it due to lack of "real" demand.
If your so set on making these available to the community and all about business it appears your going at it the wrong way. Either make them and mass produce them or find a Co. or partner that is willing instead of hounding somone who has stated more then once he is not interested.
Just curious, you stated you Pmed him, what was his repsonse if he did respond?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
Took you all of 5 hours hu?? lets see the result?
funny that it took me about a week or 35 hours to do everything... from design of the layout and PWM, to soldering over 1200 pins JUST for the LEDs them selves... and u did it in 5 hours... ?

There is a reason Kevlo isnt selling them.. cuz he should be charging $500 not 300.. hes barely making 100 bucks from each set...
My tails are already in the post but here. Like i said in the other post mine are different than everybpdy elses. Thats the way i wanted them.

This is my other car i drive. Yes i knwo i have one led out but hell theres another 83 that work.

Last edited by kzoosho; 10-23-2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor

i'm going to address this for the last time. any comments made from me from this point on will either be regarding constructing the tails or updates on any of the 3 options i am currently pursuing.

first off cdg; you have not been here longer than me. check the date.

secondly; it is not going to kill anybody to read a pm (which i have not received a reply to). he may or may not be interested, that really has nothing to do with anybody but him and me. that $100 dollars a set profit he would see from you is multiplied by however many i may decided to buy.

as far as the business aspect goes, i feel i am going about it in the right way. i am giving a fellow member first crack at making a modification that he made popular. i have not seen him say no, all i see is people telling me "he'll say no". the fact that he choses to keep the details private tells me he has plans for these eventually. if he declines, than i will continue to follow other options until i have found a resolution or i feel it has gotten out of my grasp. i cannot finance a development and/or mass production of anything, but i can afford to buy a few hand made sets.

i really don't see why anybody is concerned, but i am not going to make myself look stupid arguing any further.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:42 AM

i'm going to address this for the last time. any comments made from me from this point on will either be regarding constructing the tails or updates on any of the 3 options i am currently pursuing.

first off cdg; you have not been here longer than me. check the date.

secondly; it is not going to kill anybody to read a pm (which i have not received a reply to). he may or may not be interested, that really has nothing to do with anybody but him and me. that $100 dollars a set profit he would see from you is multiplied by however many i may decided to buy.

as far as the business aspect goes, i feel i am going about it in the right way. i am giving a fellow member first crack at making a modification that he made popular. i have not seen him say no, all i see is people telling me "he'll say no". the fact that he choses to keep the details private tells me he has plans for these eventually. if he declines, than i will continue to follow other options until i have found a resolution or i feel it has gotten out of my grasp. i cannot finance a development and/or mass production of anything, but i can afford to buy a few hand made sets.

i really don't see why anybody is concerned, but i am not going to make myself look stupid arguing any further.
haha you know what, yeah you have been here longer then me I guess. But still doesn't change the fact that you just don't want to listen to anyone. You may think you havn't made yourself look stupid but by not listening to any of us and they getting the message from kevlo that he isn't interested is stupid. You can argue with us or not, the point is he's had numerous offers of the past years to make these again and has declined every time no matter what people say they will pay. Yet you believe that he'll change his mind just for you so have fun.

Mod close this thread. It's a waste of time now.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:45 PM

This is my turnsiglnals also. i have done a tone of leds man. doesnt talke me long and i wasnt saying that everyone would be as quick as me.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Former Vendor

well after doing some reading i started to design something of my own. i will attempt to make a prototype board by hand. if i like them i will have them professionally produced. i tend to shy away from diy these days because of an injury that limits the use of my left arm, but this seems like more brain work than anything. here are some templates i made:

this is how they fit in the housing:

i have a long way to go, without having a good idea of what i'm doing (i do have electrical knowledge however). so lets get this thread back on track. i rgistered at hidplanet.com and read their stickies. any other helpful links? any ideas you guys want to put out there?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:52 PM

srry that i started sucha big arguement guys :'-(
Old 10-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Former Vendor

don't feel bad, all you did was draw attention to how many people want these things.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 PM

don't feel bad, all you did was draw attention to how many people want these things.
i guess, i love the way they look, and understand if they cost alot, that stuff aint cheap. if i had the money i would pay to get them done.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:14 PM

well after doing some reading i started to design something of my own. i will attempt to make a prototype board by hand. if i like them i will have them professionally produced. i tend to shy away from diy these days because of an injury that limits the use of my left arm, but this seems like more brain work than anything. here are some templates i made:

this is how they fit in the housing:

i have a long way to go, without having a good idea of what i'm doing (i do have electrical knowledge however). so lets get this thread back on track. i rgistered at hidplanet.com and read their stickies. any other helpful links? any ideas you guys want to put out there?

If you have housings and what not man i can solder you leds for you if you pay shipping. i have leds and everything here. u supply the housings and the onlything i could charge you for would be the resistors and leds i use. Also do you plan to run a pwm or zener diode for dimming and brake effect?

Quick Reply: LED Boards For '99 tails