4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Steering/Alignment Problems....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 PM

Steering/Alignment Problems....

So here is the deal,

I have a 95 GLE, 120k, and the problem I am having is with my steering/alignment. The problem just started occuring recently, and I will note that I have never hit a curb or gotten into an accident with the car. When I am traveling at a normal speeds down streets, or even on the highway, I can let go of the steering wheel and the car will immediatly pull to the left. I only figured it must be an alignment issue and ignored the problem until I could get it fixed. Just recently I've noticed the pulling starting becoming more noticeable/worse. Also, when I put the car into drive, and slowly creep, say 5-10 mph, the steering wheel jerks sharply to the left with each rotation of the tire. If I continue to creep at this speed, the car travels to the left. I've noticed this over the past few weeks, but now it seems to be just as noticeable as the hard pulling to the left. I do need new tires, but I am pretty sure that it's not an unbalanced wheel(s). The car doesn't shake violently or anything when traveling down the highway. I will probably try to find time to pull of the wheels to check and see if anything is broken regarding the steering system, but before that I would like to know if anyone has a slight idea of what could be the problem here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-29-2007, 05:11 AM
Maintenance Monster

Just go to a good alignment shop and tell them about it. They'll find the bad part and realign the car.

Every day you wait you leave more of your tires on the road behind you.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:04 AM

It seems like you have already diagnosed your problem........................You need new tires and an alignment
Old 12-29-2007, 08:27 PM

No, thats not the problem. I've needed new tires and an alignment since I bought the car a year ago. The problem is that recently the car behaves like I've hit a curb. I have never noticed any steering wheel shakes or anything up until the past few weeks. Even when I bought the car, with the worn tires and slightly off alignment, the car still drove very smoothly, with no shakes in the car or steering wheel.

Basically the steering wheel jerks quite a bit to the left with each rotation of the front tires. The car only shakes slightly, but its hardly noticable. And its seems to be getting worse. This could just be an alignment issue getting worse, but is it possible for the alignment to get worse, considering I have done nothing to the car to cause it to get worse (like hitting a curb for example).

It seems to me that something is broken, such as a control arm, tie rod, or something of the sort, but I have no clue as to what it could be. Guess the best way is to figure it out myself. All I wanted were people to comment with their experiences with a similar problem, which would help take the guesswork out of this problem.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:49 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by tcaughey
No, thats not the problem.
Hello, earth to vehicle owner, read the following statment.
I've needed new tires and an alignment since I bought the car a year ago.
Get new tires and have the vehicle aligned. If there is something worn in the front end, the alignment tech will find it. Have it replaced/fixed and the front end set up correctly.

Problem solved. You already know whats wrong, now get it fixed.

I'm almost willing to bet it's simply your worn out tires causing the problem.
Also, when I put the car into drive, and slowly creep, say 5-10 mph, the steering wheel jerks sharply to the left with each rotation of the tire
Common sense is lacking here.

Last edited by njmaxseltd; 12-30-2007 at 06:55 AM. Reason: type
Old 12-30-2007, 10:41 AM

+1 on what everyone else has said, get tires and an alignment and come back if it isn't fixed.