4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The start of my E-Manage Ultimate project

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
I am very interested to hear your thoughts on switching from a Mass Air Flow setup to Speed Density
Originally Posted by dandymax
I wouldn't use a GM sensor, it doesn't show up properly (isn't programmed for the correct voltage curve). Choose an engine from the drop down list in the option port setup under Factory Pressure Sensor and get one off that car in a junkyard (eg lots of Honda engines in there...). But note that it's best to scavenge a car that was N/A from the factory, not turbo, so you don't end up with a 2 or 3 bar sensor.

As for your question about correcting for intake air temp, yes ultimately you'll need to confirm with the WB that you've got the correct adjustment. But as a starting point for entering the fuel adjustment numbers, I'd use the same percentage increase/decrease that you would see in air density for a given temp drop (we're assuming the altitude and baro pressure are about the same). There are online calculators that can help you do this, or else PM me if you're having trouble and I'll do some math for you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it will work best to get the conversion map as close as possible and smooth everywhere first, AT ONE TEMPERATURE, or within a couple degrees of the same temperature, before programming the IAT map, so that the base map is correct before the global correction applied by the intake air temp map takes affect. Otherwise you'll be forever fiddling to get the AFR right on a given day with differing conditions from the day you first did the tune on. (The corollary to this is to pay attention to the intake air temps at the time you are doing the base map tuning, don't make adjustments unless you've stabilized at a relatively constant IAT).
This is why he is the king of the EU
Old 03-17-2008, 03:58 AM

well once again i am kicking myself in the A$$. I didnt have time to go and get shrink wrap so i decided to try and use that liquid tape. Short story short it is really really crappy and i dont know why i even bothered using it. but i was hoping that it would work and that i could of contiued soldering and maybe got it all together tonight but yeah it is not a pretty sight. so tommorrow before i head to work i will be picking up some shrink wrap and doing it the right way

man i swear i just do things the hard way sometimes. I just want to get the EU in so bad im doing shortcuts. The thing is i should know better not to take shortcuts on cars but i was to damn impatient

So the ones i did solder i had to snip so i will be able to put the heat shrink on. And i will have to rematch up the wires(isnt so bad but still will take some more time to do it)

another thing that is my problem is i didnt get more tips for my gun. Mistake #423421 errrrr!!!!!!!!!

Least i guess the good news is that i have done half the harness

I just wish i could get a whole day not interupted by anyone to just work on my car but that is never possible!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:06 AM
Hammy

Originally Posted by lock0002

I just wish i could get a whole day not interupted by anyone to just work on my car but that is never possible!
Don't we all

Old 03-17-2008, 10:29 AM

Take your time man. I rush things sometimes but i have adhd so i have a reason lol. You will be fine man.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 AM

yeah i know. same thing happened with the 00vi swap. i put it all together and it wouldnt start. well it happened to be a bone head mistake on my behalf. i had the fuel lines on the wrong sides lol. it defently had me worried. but i was so relived when it was just that
Old 03-17-2008, 12:02 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by MrGone
I am very interested to hear your thoughts on switching from a Mass Air Flow setup to Speed Density
Thoughts... as in, is it worth it, why do it etc?
Old 03-18-2008, 12:14 AM

isnt it mainly for FI cars cause the maf wont go past 5v and when your FI dont you need to go above that?? I would like to hear as well
Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 AM
Donating i30 Owner

... i would like to get an EU.. but its hard to find a good write up cause often the threads get ruined...

EDIT: the wizard pointed me in the right direction...

Last edited by HomerMAC; 03-18-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:40 AM

dandymaxs is plenty suffice. imo its one of the best technical write ups out there for our 4th gens. it is very detailed. im sure someone will disagree with me but this is what i belive. and if anything this isnt ment to be a write up. if it were i really suck at it.

sorry to seem like im b itchin but i honestly probley wouldnt be doing this whole EU project if he didnt write that up. I know i would be totally lost.

I just probley will always make a thread for a major mod that i do. Defently not intended to be a write up.

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 03-18-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:41 AM

my progress

I probley could of finished it with the EU harness wired in but my 2 month old baby decided to pretty much wake up every hour so..........

I need to get another soldering point this will be #3

I dont care if my leg is broken tommorrow i am finishing this damn harness. I only have 29 more pins to solder.(hopefully) I will be able to hook it into the max tommorrow night\morning and get it working.

Fustration is kicking in right about

now..................
Old 03-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Donating i30 Owner

ohh your using the old ecu's connectors to make like a plug and play harness? ...

THATS AWESOME....
Old 03-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
... i would like to get an EU.. but its hard to find a good write up cause often the threads get ruined...
Write-up for what? If you're refering to installation, it can't get any better than DandyMax's EU writeup hosted on VQpower.com
Old 03-20-2008, 04:57 AM

Finished finally. well not completely i have to resolder a couple of bad soldering points. I also did a continuity test on all the pins that i had to push back to make sure they work. And yes they do!!!!!

i have to wire it all back up but for the most part im done soldering up all the pins. I would of re connected all the wires but since saturday i have slept like 20 hours. so i am defently in need of sleep. I have seen the sunrise for the past 5 days so yeah i need a night\morning where i actually get 8 hours of sleep.

I will finish up the with what i have to do tommorrow night\morning(finish up soldering of bad solderings,reconnect all wires and finally hook up EU harness)
Old 03-20-2008, 05:57 AM

Man thats a lot of work...haha. Congrats on finishing it. Time to work on bigpulve's harness when I get back from vacation.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You may also want to use your continuity tester to check that you didn't inadvertantly bridge any pins with solder. I generally put one lead on the end of the wire and the other on the four pins immediately adjacent to the one attached to the wire.

It may seem like a bunch of extra work, but it pales in comparison to the problems you may experience if two or more terminals are bridged.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Man thats a lot of work...haha. Congrats on finishing it. Time to work on bigpulve's harness when I get back from vacation.
Yea I have been really busy this week...im trying to get everything together and sent out today but not sure yet...Ill let you know when I can get it out...
Old 03-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by eng92
You may also want to use your continuity tester to check that you didn't inadvertantly bridge any pins with solder. I generally put one lead on the end of the wire and the other on the four pins immediately adjacent to the one attached to the wire.

It may seem like a bunch of extra work, but it pales in comparison to the problems you may experience if two or more terminals are bridged.
Haha, you bring up a good point. Shorts, Not something you need.

bigpulve, no prob man Ive got time.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:11 PM

Great advice thank you. didnt even think of that. deffently will save me a headache in the long run.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:13 PM

Great advice man thank you very much. It will deffently save me from headaches from the long run in the future if i checked these.

Have fun mohf. I know i did
Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 AM

Yeah i know it doesnt look the prettiest but its done(i will wrap it all up when i actually get teh EU to function) but i hooked it up this morning for a short peroid of time with out screwing in the male sides of the ecu harnesses. well i couldnt even get the tps voltage to kick in during the setup. so i know the exsisting harness needs a new screw since i snapped off in the ecu. so i will have to get a replacement from probley the hardware store.....

Also the laptop i got the battery is shot in it so... i am going to go to wal-mart and get a power inverter to charge(power) the laptop.

I really hope this works out. if it doesnt i am just going to start hardwiring the EU this weekend cause my paitents is running real low.

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 03-24-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:04 AM

Wait what, you mean giving up on the harness? Nooo
Also why are the wires so long?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 AM

good luck lock I got my Emanage up and running 3 days ago.....It's so much fun to tool around with. I was running pig rich from the 5th gen injectors like 10.X and low 11's

oh and your gonna want a battery that works so you dont have to be around a power outlet to tune the car.... that would blow haha

P.S. lol at the print-out of Dandy's writeout...that thing was a life-saver

Last edited by slow97maxima; 03-24-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:29 AM

I have to say that this has been a somewhat useful thread, despite the on and off BS. I need to solder together a similar harness and the tips from eng92 and others, as well as the OPs experiences, will come in very handy.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 AM

Indeed, this will definitely come in handy when I do bigpulves harness. Ill post pics of my progress when I start if anyone is interested.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by slow97maxima
good luck lock I got my Emanage up and running 3 days ago.....It's so much fun to tool around with. I was running pig rich from the 5th gen injectors like 10.X and low 11's

oh and your gonna want a battery that works so you dont have to be around a power outlet to tune the car.... that would blow haha

P.S. lol at the print-out of Dandy's writeout...that thing was a life-saver
<----------- Very jeleous!!! I want to play

I AINT GIVIN UP!!! I need to get that bolt that screws into the ecu harness into the ecu. i think that is my problem. I also just pretty much just tossed her in this morning all excited and what not. I wont give up that easily i was just saying if it winds up not working after a long time i will have no choice but to hard wire it up

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 03-24-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Indeed, this will definitely come in handy when I do bigpulves harness. Ill post pics of my progress when I start if anyone is interested.
I will be in the mail tomorrow good sir...I just found a good box for it all...
Old 03-24-2008, 12:09 PM

im jealous too!! its too bad there isnt a little userface though aside from plugging into a laptop. I wonder if anyone puts a little car-puter in their car to have that option...its probably not worth the trouble in my case but I am definitely not going to always have my laptop with me and I love to monitor everything.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
im jealous too!! its too bad there isnt a little userface though aside from plugging into a laptop. I wonder if anyone puts a little car-puter in their car to have that option...its probably not worth the trouble in my case but I am definitely not going to always have my laptop with me and I love to monitor everything.
well you can remotely switch the data logger on to record the run - that is without the laptop, and then view it later
Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by lock0002
<----------- Very jeleous!!! I want to play

I AINT GIVIN UP!!! I need to get that bolt that screws into the ecu harness into the ecu. i think that is my problem. I also just pretty much just tossed her in this morning all excited and what not. I wont give up that easily i was just saying if it winds up not working after a long time i will have no choice but to hard wire it up
i had my connectors all pretty and ready to use on the Emanage harness, got to the ecu and said f*ck it and snipped the connectors off and hardwired it. I didnt want to screw around with getting any shorts.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:33 PM

holy crap im not doing all that, lol. im counting on you MOHFpro90
great job!!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 PM

well i got to hook it up again(in daylight) before work. and it worked!! well not completly it read the tps voltage i just couldnt get it to start. but after reading dandymaxs writeup i forgot to export data. so i am guessin that was my problem. i am going to hook it back up tonight and see what happens
Old 03-24-2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
oh but there is

http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/pho...tos/index.html

Also i nominate MOHF do a write up style thread since mine is kinda all out around the place. And since you already have proven yourself with the 00vi writeup. Your a perfect canidate for the job!!

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 03-24-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Congrats on this epic feat! I was going to go down this road and actually started sourcing the parts for this ( I had a 98 wiring harness and junk a 96 ECU at my disposal)... but when I started comparing FSM's and the wiring diagrams from year to year and saw how much different 99's are, my head started to spin and I threw in the towel and decided it would be best to just splice into my original harness. I was scared at first, but have no regrets doing so now.

Another deciding factor for me was the ability to hide all the wiring once I was done and everything was up and running. Having a patch harness will most likely add a bulge under the carpet. Now that I'm all done, I've managed to hide all the wiring under the center console with the EU mounted under the passenger seat. Looks OEM, can't even tell what I've done. When it's all said and done, I'd love to see a finished pic to see how you hide all your wiring.

Just to keep things straight, I numbered all my wires and labeled their respective function. Figured I would share this with you guys.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:58 AM

Before i got into modding my max i was into stereo equipment and what not so i think i can come up with some kind of idea. I know there is space inbetween the foor part of the center consoul and the plastic thingy(not much thou i know) I will deffenly post pics up of finished goods

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 03-25-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:29 AM

Well it started up before i went to work. But for only like 2seconds then it dies. I step on the gas to see if i can keep it alive doesnt do anything. I rechecked all my wiring to the EU and it all seems correct. I checked all the continuity from the actual EU harness to the pins on the harness. And all were good and had continuity. I was suspecting a injector or a ignition coil was hooked up wrong causeing it not to stay at a steady rpm but it wasnt the culprit.

I think i might missed some steps in firing up the car. So this morning i will start from scratch again(software wise) I havent really had the time to play with it much so if i dont figure it out by thursday or friday ill take a vacation day on friday to figure it out(ie hardwire)
Old 03-26-2008, 04:42 AM

ok so i gave it a shot and still the same thing. but i noticed something when i get it to idle for a second the active light on the EU with flash red. but when i turn off the car and turn it to just the on postition it gives me a real quick red flash(just one). I know according to the EU manual it says its airflow input error but i dont think it would cause it to do this.

Any input would highly be appricated

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 03-26-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:26 AM

Were you really up at 5:29 am working on it?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 AM

How do you guys work in that tight spot under the passenger wheel. All those wires are way too close to each other.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:43 AM

Just pull the ecu, takes 5 minutes

Gear wrench and shifter area are your freind.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 AM

yea the flashing red is some kind of error. I had one wire in the wrong place and i got the flashing red. You checked all the jumpers right? (i assume so if you followed dandy's writeup). It will be tedius but if your jumpers are est correctly and all your parameters are set right, your going to have to make sure you labeled every wire correctly and connected it to the right place.

Quick Reply: The start of my E-Manage Ultimate project