4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake light on... again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:27 PM

Brake light on... again!

Hey everyone. Back around early June I want to say my brake light came on. Checked the fluid and it was down to about the min line (halfway on the reservoir). So my father and I were confused as to how that could happen w/o a leak, but from our immediate search we couldn't find anything. Topped the fluid off to the max line, checked for leaks again and all looked good. Checked the fluid a couple weeks after that and seemed fine...

Fast forward three months to today as I'm leaving home. Brake lights on again. So when I got home I checked it it was back down to the min line. So that's about 4,000 miles of mostly back roads/city driving to drop it those couple of inches. Anyone experience such a small 'leak' before? Any suggestions as to where to look. When I get some free time Sat afternoon we're going to look at it a little closer but I just can't fathom the leak being this slow. (I guess it's a good thing?) I'm just nervous one of these times it's just going to let go altogether at once and I'll be screwed!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:43 PM
mod or sell?

it could be leaking in a myriad of places.
my biggest concern is that it is leaking at the master cylinder, but you should feel that in the brake pedal as a spongy type feel.
have you checked everywhere the brake lines run for leaks?
Old 09-11-2008, 01:39 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by redwagon29
Hey everyone. Back around early June I want to say my brake light came on. Checked the fluid and it was down to about the min line (halfway on the reservoir). So my father and I were confused as to how that could happen w/o a leak, but from our immediate search we couldn't find anything. Topped the fluid off to the max line, checked for leaks again and all looked good. Checked the fluid a couple weeks after that and seemed fine...

Fast forward three months to today as I'm leaving home. Brake lights on again. So when I got home I checked it it was back down to the min line. So that's about 4,000 miles of mostly back roads/city driving to drop it those couple of inches. Anyone experience such a small 'leak' before? Any suggestions as to where to look. When I get some free time Sat afternoon we're going to look at it a little closer but I just can't fathom the leak being this slow. (I guess it's a good thing?) I'm just nervous one of these times it's just going to let go altogether at once and I'll be screwed!
hydraulic leaks can be insanely slow.....ask anyone who's had a clutch line leak, it might take months to realize you even have a leak.

maybe check to make sure all your bleeder screws are really tight?
Old 09-11-2008, 01:41 PM

I've never worked on the master cylinder on this car, but sometimes master cylinder leaks can run down the driver's side of the firewall under the carpet, so you never see it. I'd look at that.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:08 PM

Yeah I'm going to check it out this weekend when I get a chance. It is definitely frustrating. I had a leak in the clutch around this time last year so I know exactly what you are talking about. It took about 3 weeks to empty out. I am just wondering what the chances are it's going to just let go completely and come gushing out when I go to stop, considering it's under pressure and all right?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The brake fluid level drops as the pads wear down. If your level had dropped enough to turn the light on, you really should check the pads on all 4 corners.

The drop you saw happen in only 4000 miles doesn't sound normal. Check the entire hydraulic system for leaks while your inspecting the pads.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:43 PM

^^^good point -also check the seals around the pistons, mine had a pin hole a couple of yrs back and prior i was filling the res about once a month. BTW you have an emergency brake -though i"ve never used it going 70.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:32 AM

+1 check your pad wear, thats what it sounds like if its been several months since you added fluid.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm also having the same type of problem, my pedal feel became extremely spongy, fluid went down to min, and cannot locate the leak anywhere

I refilled brake fluid, then observed on a daily basis since sometime last week, no dramatic change in brake fluid level.

I'm re-bleeding all four brakes tomorrow afternoon, and we'll see what happens.

My e-brake line on the passenger side of the car is also stuck, but it was disconnected for the time being, I don't how much that would effect the rest of the brake assembly.

Please help, I feel like a noob, and I'm helpless... weep, weep !!