4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternator change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Alternator change?

So recently, within the last two days, I have had some problems with my max.
First thing I noticed was a little squealing noise, but didnt hear it again, so ignored it, then it came back. Through some research I narrowed it donw to something on the serpentine belt. I suspected a battery problem, so got it checked, sure enough, it was cooked.
I got a new battery and serpentine belt, and replaced those parts, hoping that it was maybe a slipping belt (it was old). After those changes, the noise persists, and I suspect that the battery went kaput, and the alternator tryed to compensate, and in turn, got cooked.
I have read several reports of the bearings in the alternator making noises like this. So im goign to change the alternator.
My question is, is it worth doing myself, or is it the kind of job that I should get a shop to do. im just a teenage weekend warrior with my dad, we have done some of the simpler things you can do under the hood, nothing real complicated. Let me know your opinion.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:27 AM

I would make real sure that it is the alternator...thats a pretty expensive "guess".Esspecially for a noise.I would make sure that belt is tight enough .I would even pull the belt off and spin the alt. pully and see what it feels and sounds like.
as far as your question...sure you can do it.I mean I dont know what your mechanical abilities are so I would suggest getting a manual and have to it.Its nothing really complicated. Its just nuts and bolts.LOL and in this case a wire or two.
hope this helps and good luck
Old 09-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Whatchyou say?

I would bet it's your AC compressor, not the alt. The alt doesn't usually have bearing issues (it can, don't get me wrong) but the AC does. My AC needs a new bearing (squeals / rubs) and I have the bearing, just can't get the clutch face off to replace the bearing.

Two ways to tell for sure if it's your alt:
1. take a screwdriver and just hold it on the housing of the alt (no, it will not shock you) and cup your fist over the end - then take your ear and put it to the end of the screwdriver (on top of your closed fist). If you hear a rub rub rub sound, then it's likely the alt bearing.

2. the other way to check is to get a 37'' belt and bypass the AC unit. If the noise goes away, it's your AC, not the alt.

If you do need to do the alt, it's not a bad job at all. You'll need to pull the fan assby, drop the AC compressor (don't have to disconect lines or anything) by pulling the 4 mounting bolts and the alt is held in with 2 bolts. (on a scale of 1 - 10, I'd give this job a 3 or 4) The backside alt bolt is kinda tricky to get at, but there is room and you can do it.

You're sure the noise isn't your tensioner pulley? That is also a very common bearing to wear out. A dab of sillicone (spray) onto the pulley will let you know (if the sound goes away) - just try not to get the belts wet. I use an old rag to cover them when I have done this, kept the belts dry.