4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

snap clicking sound when slowing down with brakes or engine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:48 AM

snap clicking sound when slowing down with brakes or engine.

Kevin said it could be the inner tierod but How come it does not do it when I just move the steering wheel back and forth? It will only do it when I am slowing down or use engine braking. It does click a lot when I move the steering wheel tho ONLY during braking though...

So how would that be Inner-tie rod? IT sounds like a bushing or a Stab link or prob inner tie rod and stab link that are both different sounds.

Well this worries me because I need to get an inspection done in the next 2 days.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Whatchyou say?

If it's a 'popping' sound, it's brobably just your end links ... could be the TRE though. Is there vibration at all ???
Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 AM

No vibration at all. Car sails on highway. I can like let go of the car ever since Axles were done. (Mainly cause the new stiffness)
Old 09-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Whatchyou say?

go run over a few bumps and listen ... if you hear it pop then, check the end links on the sway bar. mine did the same sortta thing and that is what it was. if you don't feel excess play in the steering, I don't think it'd be your tie rod ends.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:25 PM

can you narrow it down to a side? Jack it up and see if you can see anything that doesn't quite look right. I had an infinity where the front sway bar linkage broke and make all kinds of weird noises.

maybe you could jack up both sides and look for differences in anything
Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by S1cTech
I can like let go of the car ever since Axles were done.
Did this just start happening after the axles were done?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:30 PM

I wouldn't be worried about the inspection, its not like they take your car out on the road or anything...
Old 09-30-2008, 04:54 PM

Well it failed inspection for my headlights of all things... argh... I hate this place. Nver go to Sooner Lube in Tewks mass. Place sucks ***. All the kids that work they are retarded and it is ran by some horrible customer serving Chinese guy. He just Slapped an R on my car just for having my HIDs too bright.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Whatchyou say?

didn't know there was a limit on intensity of headlights .... sucks!

I wonder if changing to a different temp bulb would help you pass? Or, another place might pass it fine. Never know.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 AM

Yah they also said it was because they don't have Hi beams as well. Thats a bunch of BS. There is not law saying you need Hi and low. They are already pretty much low beams that are hi, I don't have BI-xenon and I was not gonna pay extra for it.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:32 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

There is not law saying you need Hi and low.
You need to do your homework.

They are already pretty much low beams that are hi, .
Huh?

And you wonder why you failed?

Last edited by njmaxseltd; 10-01-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:09 AM

Yah they also said it was because they don't have Hi beams as well. Thats a bunch of BS. There is not law saying you need Hi and low. They are already pretty much low beams that are hi, I don't have BI-xenon and I was not gonna pay extra for it.
Bring it to another place...I passed MA inspection with a test pipe, clear corners, no front plate, etc.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Whatchyou say?

yea, it can depend on who looks at it. You do need hi and low beams to pass btw.

I also passed inspection with a test pipe cat and clear corners. I have bi-xenon, so I have my hi beams too .... do you still have the orig headlights? If so, swap em out, get it passed and slap them back in. I know it's a PITA, but ... gotta do what ya gotta do, right.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
You need to do your homework.

Huh?

And you wonder why you failed?
k, I passed for 2 years with them, how would it be different now?
Old 10-03-2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Did this just start happening after the axles were done?
no, although it has been getting worse since then. Now I hear a click everytime I stop. I think it is a bad stab link. It has too be.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:05 AM

k, I passed for 2 years with them, how would it be different now?
this just means the person doing the testing was lazy, go somewhere else where they wont care an get it done, or fix your problems
Old 10-03-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
yea, it can depend on who looks at it. You do need hi and low beams to pass btw.

I also passed inspection with a test pipe cat and clear corners. I have bi-xenon, so I have my hi beams too .... do you still have the orig headlights? If so, swap em out, get it passed and slap them back in. I know it's a PITA, but ... gotta do what ya gotta do, right.
yah, I was gonna swap them... Its funny too, cause the kids working there with Grilling the **** outta me, because my ride is hooked up looking. They kept revving my engine too and it pissed me off... lol making the walls like vibrate. AND they kept flickering my HIDs. ITs funny too, cause one kid had a hooked up red BMW or Audi(did not get a great look of it) and it was slammed to the ground and he was the one that helped fail me. I was arguing with him and he was saying that I shouldn't of bought the non-Bi xenons cause he has BI-xenons and all. It wasn't all his fault that I failed and more the owners but he could of sticked up for a fellow tuner ya kno.

Do you think I can get Bi-xenons now? Or do I need new Ballsiest s?
Old 10-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Whatchyou say?

Ok, first off .... not trying to pick a fight, but you have to realize the reason you failed is because there are laws / rules in place to keep people safe (and so the gov gets our $$$ .... whole nother story!). You failed because your car didn't meet the 'standards' put in place by the gov / state.

As for going to bi-xenon lights .... no, the ballast is the same. The projector is what gives you the bi-xenon ... they have a small reflector in them and a solinoide that moves it when you hit the hi beams. If you go to a bi-xenon set up, you'll need to trigger the solinoides for the hi beams. (in other words, you'll need a better harnes - pm me if you need one)

Can't be upset that it didn't pass, you just gotta make it so it does. If that means taking it elsewhere, then so be it.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Ok, first off .... not trying to pick a fight, but you have to realize the reason you failed is because there are laws / rules in place to keep people safe (and so the gov gets our $$$ .... whole nother story!). You failed because your car didn't meet the 'standards' put in place by the gov / state.

As for going to bi-xenon lights .... no, the ballast is the same. The projector is what gives you the bi-xenon ... they have a small reflector in them and a solinoide that moves it when you hit the hi beams. If you go to a bi-xenon set up, you'll need to trigger the solinoides for the hi beams. (in other words, you'll need a better harnes - pm me if you need one)

Can't be upset that it didn't pass, you just gotta make it so it does. If that means taking it elsewhere, then so be it.

ok, I need what ever it takes to get HI and low beams. With the most minimal cost. Let me know. And I don't have projectors, I thought that Bi-xenons are also for my 9004 kit. no?