4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:54 PM

Suspension questions

Incase you guys missed my thread, I am the guy whose AGX failed and shot through the mount:

I started taking things apart, and the strut/coilspring/mount/sprint seat didn't come out as a whole. Once I jacked the car up I could freely move my wheel up and down and stir the strut around like a spoon in soup.

When I undid the bolts and tried to remove it, everything fell apart in my hands. The spring came off, and the mounting stuff just fell out onto the driveway.

I have absolutely no understanding of how this all works and compresses the spring. I have no idea what keeps the spring compressed either as I can't see anything for my sprint seat to attach to. Here are pictures. Note, I did NOT take any of this apart, it all just fell apart in my hands so I have no idea what goes where.

I have new AGX's coming in the mail tomorrow.

So far I had planned to buy:

New struts
New strut mounts
New strut boots/bump stops.

Can anyone shed more light on how specifically the upper assembly works? How does the spring seat and all that attach to the strut? Is that even the name for it so I know what part to get? I'll start taking apart my passenger side strut in the meantime, hopefully since that one is intact as it should be, it will shed some light about how this all works and I can figure out what failed.

Last edited by modenaf1; 11-12-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:20 AM

One more question, see that rubber piece that is torn on the upper spring seat? How do I go about replacing that? Do I have to replace the whole spring seat?

Also too, does that rubber piece act as the bump stop? I was planning to buy a KYB dust boot that apparently has the bump stop built in. Do I need to remove this rubber here? What should I do about it?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:07 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The torn rubber piece up top is the bump stop, part of the OE dust boot. The mount has clearly failed and the top of the strut obviously broke off. Crazy stuff.
Everything else looks ok. The mount and the nut on top of the strut is what holds the assembly together, yours is busted so thats why the assembly fell apart when you jacked the car up. Get yourself an exploded view of the assembly and you should have no problem getting it back together. You don't need a spring compressor with the sport springs you have.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:58 AM

The Spring seat attaches to the mount with just a single bolt - the top plunger of the strut goes through the strut mount.

I had some problems getting the bolt tight because the plunger spins freely. I reached through the uncompressed spring to get a grip on the plunger. Once I got it started, I could grip the lip on the top of the plunger with a vise grip and use a regular wrench to tighten the bolt
Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 AM

hopefully this could maybe help you sir : http://www.shiftice.com/strut_install.html
Old 11-13-2008, 06:22 AM
Former Vendor

Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 AM

Beautiful! Thanks guys.

So how much force does that nut on top of the strut have to hold? Looking at the top of my strut which broke off (as you can see in the first pic) it gets really narrow, and is hollow inside where the threaded part of the top of the strut is for that to screw onto. I would say less than 1/8th thickness of metal all around.

Seems kinda flimsly in my opinion to have such a small weak area the only area that holds this entire assembly together.

In fact, I guess this doesn't take too much force when the car is sitting on it, but every time I jack the car up, this one nut takes all the force of the spring, the wheel, the tire, the brake disk and caliper, the a arm, and the hub all pushing down on it?