4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another issue with corrected ETs...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 02:05 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Another issue with corrected ETs...

Apparently, the conditions last time I ran were better than ideal, so my corrected ET is slower than what I really ran.

Funny
Old 11-14-2001, 02:31 PM

corrected? The time you drove is the time you drove...it doesn't matter if you are driving at 6500ft or at 120 ft... the clock doesn't lie...usually
Old 11-15-2001, 04:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If the times aren't corrected, then nobody's times can be compared to anybody else's, unless they ran at the same track at the same time on the same day. This is the reason why times should always be corrected.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:44 AM

Exactly what I was thinking

What's the big deal with corrected times?? They are more uniform for comparison...

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
If the times aren't corrected, then nobody's times can be compared to anybody else's, unless they ran at the same track at the same time on the same day. This is the reason why times should always be corrected.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:15 AM

The problem with corrected times is that they allow numbers htat are flat out UNBELIEVABLE to become true. The best case in point is 1/3rds 1/4 time of ~16.0 seconds somewhere in Colorado. Corrected to sea level, that gave him a 14.8, an number that is NOT possible with a NA automatic 4th gen. THAT'S the problem with corrected times.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:58 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by medicsonic
The problem with corrected times is that they allow numbers htat are flat out UNBELIEVABLE to become true. The best case in point is 1/3rds 1/4 time of ~16.0 seconds somewhere in Colorado. Corrected to sea level, that gave him a 14.8, an number that is NOT possible with a NA automatic 4th gen. THAT'S the problem with corrected times.
Is this what you're referring to?
Old 11-15-2001, 08:12 AM

What!?

Who cares what the time is?? You think it's accurate to compare times of ppl in different states on different days?? Right now I don't know what to compare my times too other than ppl in DC who ran the same day I did. There is no national uniformity when comparing our times with each other.

For instance the same ppl in NY who get 14.6's won't get 14.6 at the track I go to in MD they'd probably get 15.0's or 14.9's..
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Originally posted by medicsonic
Old 11-15-2001, 08:40 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I think the only thing that matters is what your car actually ran. It doesnt matter if you can do it it somewhere else. I ran a 15.4 that day. My car CAN and DID run a 15.4, thats all that matters to me. I'll probably never beat it, or repeat it, but it happened.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
I think the only thing that matters is what your car actually ran. It doesnt matter if you can do it it somewhere else. I ran a 15.4 that day. My car CAN and DID run a 15.4, thats all that matters to me. I'll probably never beat it, or repeat it, but it happened.
I have to agree, adjusted times are bunk. If you lost to a civic in colorado, do you really think you would've done better here? The uniformity is that the clock doesn't lie. it times from when you cross point a till you cross point b at 10000ft or at sealevel... if you want a better time, go to the beach
Old 11-16-2001, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by SLC I30t

I have to agree, adjusted times are bunk. If you lost to a civic in colorado, do you really think you would've done better here? The uniformity is that the clock doesn't lie. it times from when you cross point a till you cross point b at 10000ft or at sealevel... if you want a better time, go to the beach

But uncorrected times don't tell how fast a car really is compared to any other car. Your car may look like it is really slow compared to everybody else's car if you aren't using corrected times, even though it might be just as fast or faster. And you won't ever know if a mod made the car faster, because you will have all of the variables in the way that prevent a definitive comparison.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:31 PM

But uncorrected times don't tell how fast a car really is compared to any other car. Your car may look like it is really slow compared to everybody else's car if you aren't using corrected times, even though it might be just as fast or faster. And you won't ever know if a mod made the car faster, because you will have all of the variables in the way that prevent a definitive comparison.
You don't really believe that do you?
If you don't know if your car improved its performance with out using a handicap then you need to trade your car in for a chevy calalier.
I know exactly if my car pulls harder from one mod to the other... unless I do multiple at one time. If you have time ticket in denver saying that you are running a 15.6 then you put in a pipe and it says your pulling a 15.3 then I would assume that you are creative enough to see that you made an improvement. I don't see why(still) you need to handicap your car with corrected times.
I guess my car with it's corrected time for having the extra weight because it's an infiniti, heavy momo rims, and my big *** should be about 11.4 since it's a pretty nice car anyway. Do you get what I'm saying? if you want to compare times with a coastal maxima and you live in the rockies your time isn't really going to be that far off. I used to live at 8000 ft, I know approximately how your car is going to perform. It's not going to be a multiple second difference.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:45 PM

If you don't know if your car improved its performance with out using a handicap then you need to trade your car in for a chevy calalier.

I didn't bother to read the rest of the post beyond this. What part of "removing the variables" do you not understand?
Old 11-16-2001, 07:02 PM

I didn't bother to read the rest of the post beyond this. What part of "removing the variables" do you not understand?
No 2 cars are going to race, or compare in the exact same enviroment, that is a part of racing, Air density can chance dramtically every 10 meters. So how are you going compare your car in your state and mine in my state and say that you are removing the variables... if you whole world in black and white? Even if you are color blind there are different shades of gray. you can't remove all the variables and have a race.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:00 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I know exactly if my car pulls harder from one mod to the other... unless I do multiple at one time.

Wow, you have a calibrated butt-dyno??

Fact is, you have no idea if your car is actually faster. You get an intake and you know its louder, so it sure feels faster, but without back to back comparison....you really dont know.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:49 PM

Let's just do it this way and call it a day. Tell the ACTUAL time, and the altitude, humidity and air temp.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:54 PM

Wow, you have a calibrated butt-dyno??

Fact is, you have no idea if your car is actually faster. You get an intake and you know its louder, so it sure feels faster, but without back to back comparison....you really dont know.
fact is anyone who pays enough attention to their driving will know if the car pulls harder when they mod their car. Maybe if you have an Automatic it may not be as dramatic. I knew pretty quick that my rims slowed me down...how did I know this? My tires didn't chirp into 2nd gear anymore. How did I know my intake gave me a little something back? My tires chirped in second again. It's not brain surgery--***.

Next time keep my but out of your conversation.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:09 PM

It's not that simple. You can't just base it on whether or not your tires chirp into 2nd or if you feel it pulling harder. Lots of other factors will play into it. Road conditions, temperature, condition of tires, condition of clutch will all affect whether or not your car chirps 2nd. And how hard you think your car pulls is even more misleading. When you spend money and time on your car, you hope that the performance improves. I know a lot of people who swore up and down that a mod made their car pull so much harder, but when they dynoed the car or went to the track, there was like a 1 hp. gain and no improvement in 1/4 mile times.

fact is anyone who pays enough attention to their driving will know if the car pulls harder when they mod their car. Maybe if you have an Automatic it may not be as dramatic. I knew pretty quick that my rims slowed me down...how did I know this? My tires didn't chirp into 2nd gear anymore. How did I know my intake gave me a little something back? My tires chirped in second again. It's not brain surgery--***.

Next time keep my but out of your conversation.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:24 PM

Whatever, if I can chirp my tires on any morning on my way to work then the next day I can't. There was a loss of power, now with the general driving pattern one morning I can't and the next I can again. There is a little more going on mechanically than just the dyno in my but.

I'm not saying I recieved 3.5 more HP at 4000rpms when I did such and such modification. I'm saying that every mod that I've done has had an impact on the way my car handles and performs. noticeably. Maybe it hasn't been your experience

Did you dyno your car completely stock? If you didn't there is no real way to tell your gains anyhow right? Unless it's between mods. I haven't ever dyno'd my car, I'm not possitive how it works.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:37 PM

All I was saying was that you can't trust you're own judgement. But if you say your car makes more power, I don't know your car so I can't argue with that.

Haven't dynoed my car yet. All it has is an intake and exhaust and I honestly couldn't tell much difference when I got it. I'll dyno my car next year after my next round of performance mods. Y-Pipe, SC, and NOS are on the way or awaiting install. If the dyno doesn't flash something near 300, I'm gonna be upset.

Whatever, if I can chirp my tires on any morning on my way to work then the next day I can't. There was a loss of power, now with the general driving pattern one morning I can't and the next I can again. There is a little more going on mechanically than just the dyno in my but.

I'm not saying I recieved 3.5 more HP at 4000rpms when I did such and such modification. I'm saying that every mod that I've done has had an impact on the way my car handles and performs. noticeably. Maybe it hasn't been your experience

Did you dyno your car completely stock? If you didn't there is no real way to tell your gains anyhow right? Unless it's between mods. I haven't ever dyno'd my car, I'm not possitive how it works.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:59 PM
SLOW

I can hear my tires chirp on some road surfaces whereas others I can't hear a thing, but I know they chirp each time. Traction also comes into play here, larger tires have more traction and thus are harder to chirp, but they may not necessarily slow you down.
Old 11-17-2001, 04:41 AM

No 2 cars are going to race, or compare in the exact same enviroment, that is a part of racing, Air density can chance dramtically every 10 meters. So how are you going compare your car in your state and mine in my state and say that you are removing the variables...

That's exactly what I'm talking about. You obviously don't know what corrected times are. When you correct the times, you can compare times, regardless of local variables such as temperature, humidity, etc.
Old 11-17-2001, 07:46 AM

Me chirping my tires is something I did almost everymorning at the stop light down the street from my house. Everymorning I pull up to the redlight, it's a straight shot for almost half a mile. I did it on the same road everymorning. I know that gained some traction by getting larger tires, and lost torque with the weight(it makes sense my momo's are 35+ lbs of alum then another 15-20 in rubber. Stock was 25lbs of metal and 20 of rubber approximately.)
I don't know how much power the intake gave me at my wheels, but it gave me enough that my tires would chirp between 1st and second. I know if I put better traction tires on my car I might lose my chirp again. But that would require a change in tire.

I stil believe corrected times to be a farse, this is racing not golf.
Your performance is based on your car with your mods against mine. If you chose the wrong ones, then your toast. Change your set up and race it again. If you want to race against equal cars with out variables, I guess you can sit infront of the dealership to take on the test drivers.
Old 11-18-2001, 05:03 AM

Your performance is based on your car with your mods against mine. If you chose the wrong ones, then your toast. Change your set up and race it again. If you want to race against equal cars with out variables, I guess you can sit infront of the dealership to take on the test drivers.

You still don't understand what corrected numbers are. Corrected numbers remove the variables. It doesn't have anything to do with sitting in front of a dealership. You said "your car with your mods against mine". If you post your numbers, they can't be compared to my numbers if they aren't corrected because there were way too many variables. That's like saying that my car is faster than an M3 because I go 0-100kph faster than the M3 can go 0-100mph. It's apples and oranges. The only way to know if one car is faster than another without using corrected numbers is to run them side by side at the same time on the same track. If you can't do that, corrected numbers do that for you. You already use corrected numbers any time you talk about horsepower and other things; why can't you understand corrected numbers for drag racing?
Old 11-18-2001, 05:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

this is racing not golf.
Old 11-18-2001, 06:04 AM

You still don't understand what corrected numbers are. Corrected numbers remove the variables. It doesn't have anything to do with sitting in front of a dealership. You said "your car with your mods against mine". If you post your numbers, they can't be compared to my numbers if they aren't corrected because there were way too many variables. That's like saying that my car is faster than an M3 because I go 0-100kph faster than the M3 can go 0-100mph. It's apples and oranges. The only way to know if one car is faster than another without using corrected numbers is to run them side by side at the same time on the same track. If you can't do that, corrected numbers do that for you. You already use corrected numbers any time you talk about horsepower and other things; why can't you understand corrected numbers for drag racing?
I understand corrected numbers, and if you want to compare times. scan your time ticket and I'll scan mine and we'll compare. and your M3 analogy is pretty funny. What the reality of corrected time is, you probably live on an elevated area and you think it's unfair that you can't break the 15.4 barrier. So if you live on sealevel maybe you could, so taking what skill their is in drivinig out of the equation you want to deduct .2 seconds per 1000 ft of elevation right? Thats just an approximate, I don't know the real numbers or care too. So now you think that your are driving a tough little 15.2 max, when in reality you really drove it in 15.4. It's not a tough concept to grasp, I agree. If you don't like your times where you live.....move. I have a room for rent, we argue this till we're blue in the face over a some corona(you bring the lime).
Old 11-18-2001, 11:08 AM

I understand corrected numbers, and if you want to compare times. scan your time ticket and I'll scan mine and we'll compare. and your M3 analogy is pretty funny. What the reality of corrected time is, you probably live on an elevated area and you think it's unfair that you can't break the 15.4 barrier.

You don't make any sense. What do you have against comparing apples to apples?
Old 11-18-2001, 06:46 PM

fine your apple is a 95 Maxima...my apple is a 97 I30t. Lets compare..my fastest time is
15.4 @91.8988
60ft 2.3938
330 ft 6.6397
1/8 10.0486
1000 ft 12.9485
RT .8138
Those times are uncorrected and are true. Show me your untainted apples.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:35 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

fine your apple is a 95 Maxima...my apple is a 97 I30t. Lets compare..my fastest time is
15.4 @91.8988
60ft 2.3938
330 ft 6.6397
1/8 10.0486
1000 ft 12.9485
RT .8138
Those times are uncorrected and are true. Show me your untainted apples.

My untainted apples .

15.4@88.4

But, the fact remains that your butt-dyno cant tell you ****...
Old 11-18-2001, 07:37 PM

how do you feel about your time? Good RT...
Old 11-18-2001, 07:42 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

how do you feel about your time? Good RT...
I feel just fine about by time. But, since you mention R/T, I don't like that at all. That was my first run of the night, and my slowest R/T. I usually manage between .550 and .650 on most runs. My best is .538.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:46 PM

I feel just fine about by time. But, since you mention R/T, I don't like that at all. That was my first run of the night, and my slowest R/T. I usually manage between .550 and .650 on most runs. My best is .538.
WAIT... we can't discuss this till you correct your times...you live in alabama, and I live in Maryland and the air isn't as fresh and cool as it is down there....

All that out of a CAI and automatic, either your pulling real good times or my car is plane slow, but I do get a .3 sec handicap for my rims...he he he
Old 11-18-2001, 07:48 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

WAIT... we can't discuss this till you correct your times...you live in alabama, and I live in Maryland and the air isn't as fresh and cool as it is down there....

All that out of a CAI and automatic, either your pulling real good times or my car is plane slow, but I do get a .3 sec handicap for my rims...he he he
Not a real CAI...OSCAI with a K&N panel. Yeah, it was 60 degrees out and the track elevation here is only 170 feet above sea level.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:53 PM

See now I don't see the reason why some people need to throw their fruit into this.

Anyhow, nice run.