4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Multi Use key opener problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Multi Use key opener problem

I NEED SOME EXPERT ADVISE. NEITHER OF MY MULTI USE KEY OPENERS ARE WORKING TODAY. BATTERIES REPLACED A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO.

IS THERE A FUSE OR RELAY I CAN CHECK IN THE CAR?

EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS FINE, TRUNK, WINDOWS.

CANNOT GET ANY RESPONSE FROM THE OPENER?

HELP PLEASE!!!

JTM
Old 04-02-2009, 02:35 PM
No more Maximas...

Why are you yelling? Drop the caps.

What is a multi use key opener? The keyless entry remotes?

Have you not checked any fuses yet? There are a bunch that go to the BCM and some of the LCUs. Just check them all in the interior fuse panel.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:39 PM

Sorry about the caps- my 17 year old has taken over use of my baby and now the fun begins. I did check some of the fuses. Any idea which ones that I may have missed?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:41 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Just the Max
Sorry about the caps- my 17 year old has taken over use of my baby and now the fun begins. I did check some of the fuses. Any idea which ones that I may have missed?
Check all of them. The label sometimes is misleading. The ones you want to focus on are anything that's battery powered, it won't be accessory, ignition, or starter powered.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:32 PM

Checked them all - all 7.5 size including the ones under the hood. None were blown but 1 must have been loose because now it works.

Thanks for rattling my brain!!
Old 04-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Just the tip.

Have you tried reprogramming them?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Programming

How do you reprogram key remotes?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 PM

To program the remote(s) follow this procedure:

1. Unlock all doors and get in car.

2. Close and lock all doors with power door lock switch on driver's door.

3. Insert the igniton key and completely remove from the ignition switch
at least 6 times within 10 seconds. The hazard warning lamps (both turn
signals) will then flash twice and all previous codes will be cleared.

4. Turn ignition key to "ACC" position.

5. Push the "Lock" button on the new remote controller once. At this time,
the car learns the new ID code. The hazard warning lamps (both turn
signals) will then flash twice.

If you are programming just one remote, go to step 10.
If you need to activate additional remote controllers, continue with Step 6.

6. Manually unlock the driver's door only then lock again with door lock

7. Push lock button on the additional remote controller once.

8. Hazard warning lamps (both turn signals) will then flash twice and
additional remote is programmed.

9. For additional remotes, go back to step 6.

10. When done, open the driver's door to exit programming state.

NOTE: A maximum of 4 remotes can be programmed to any ONE car.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Key Remote Control Functions Dead

95 Maxima SE, manual trans, 206K miles. I just replaced the ignition key switch/cylinder ***'y because it was getting loose and the "Start" position was intermittent. Now I have no remote control functions from my keyless entry devices. No power door locking/unlocking; no window-down function; no panic button; and no remote trunk unlock. Not sure if this happened immediately after replacing the ign switch, or a day later.

I haven't tried the "reprogramming" of the remotes outlined in this thread, but I will. I'm not sure how (or if) replacing the ign switch caused this symptom (may be coincidental). Have checked some fuses, but not all.

From my factory service manual, I did some checks of the "Multi-remote Control Unit" power and data connections in the trunk (also described as Local Control Unit, or LCU05) and have found no problems so far.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to the logical diagnostic order. Should I reprogram the keyless entry fobs first? Or, should I just replace the LCU05 in the trunk (which apparently serves as the "receiver" for the system) and hope for the best? Or something else? The service manual is pretty hard to follow and doesn't really lead me down a logical diagnostic path. Any help is greatly appreciated. Svenfran
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Svenfran
95 Maxima SE, manual trans, 206K miles. I just replaced the ignition key switch/cylinder ***'y because it was getting loose and the "Start" position was intermittent. Now I have no remote control functions from my keyless entry devices. No power door locking/unlocking; no window-down function; no panic button; and no remote trunk unlock. Not sure if this happened immediately after replacing the ign switch, or a day later.

I haven't tried the "reprogramming" of the remotes outlined in this thread, but I will. I'm not sure how (or if) replacing the ign switch caused this symptom (may be coincidental). Have checked some fuses, but not all.

From my factory service manual, I did some checks of the "Multi-remote Control Unit" power and data connections in the trunk (also described as Local Control Unit, or LCU05) and have found no problems so far.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to the logical diagnostic order. Should I reprogram the keyless entry fobs first? Or, should I just replace the LCU05 in the trunk (which apparently serves as the "receiver" for the system) and hope for the best? Or something else? The service manual is pretty hard to follow and doesn't really lead me down a logical diagnostic path. Any help is greatly appreciated. Svenfran
Try checking the "key inserted" switch in the ignition key cylinder. The wire comes out the bottom of the key cylinder and since you changed this, maybe you didn't re-connect it.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Try checking the "key inserted" switch in the ignition key cylinder. The wire comes out the bottom of the key cylinder and since you changed this, maybe you didn't re-connect it.
Thanks. Pretty sure I connected that small, individual connector and the other main key switch connector, but you never know. I might have dislodged it putting the cowling clamshell back together. Easy to double check, so I'll report back in a few days (wife is traveling with the car and is none too happy about having to lock/unlock the car the old fashioned way :-)

Thanks again for the tip.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Success! I finally got back on this today. After doing the other things (checking batteries in remotes, checking all fuses, checking connectors from ignition switch, checking driver door cylinder lock electrical connector, checking hood switch) I tried reprogramming my remotes, per the post from DennisMik above. That did the trick, and now all remote functions work again! Glad I didn't go out and buy a new LCU-05 multi-remote module (that would have been my last hope). Thanks again, DennisMik and all. Svenfran