4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:26 PM

Location: [Summer: High Rock Lake, NC, USA] [Winter: Midway, NC, USA] [Current: St Bernard, LA]
Air shocks

Hi all,
Does anyone know if it is possible to get air shocks for a '96 GXE? I have searched everywhere online and have not found any yet.
Thanks in advance...
Old 05-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Banned

http://www.airbagit.com/product_p/fbs-nis-40-kit3.htm
Old 05-24-2009, 12:53 AM

Location: [Summer: High Rock Lake, NC, USA] [Winter: Midway, NC, USA] [Current: St Bernard, LA]
Originally Posted by allensteiner21
Ok thanks for the reply, but I really only need rear air shocks and not the automatic kind, just the kind you pump up manually, also this is way outside my price range. Do you know if I could find any regular air shocks for this car that are just rear and are manually pumped up? I am still looking and so far I have not found any. I guess if all else fails maybe I could buy some air shocks that are for another car and make a bracket to adapt it, but if possible, I would like to get some that are designed for this car, unfortunately I havent found any yet.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Just search until you find exactly what you are looking for.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:41 AM

why are you looking for air shocks? One you really shouldn't be towing anything that is going to make the *** end sag that bad and two well tell the people in your cafr to lose a few pounds. in all seriousness get some good springs and you should be able to get rid of the sag.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:58 PM

I have some eibachs if your interested.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by txe5502
Ok thanks for the reply, but I really only need rear air shocks and not the automatic kind, just the kind you pump up manually, also this is way outside my price range. Do you know if I could find any regular air shocks for this car that are just rear and are manually pumped up? I am still looking and so far I have not found any. I guess if all else fails maybe I could buy some air shocks that are for another car and make a bracket to adapt it, but if possible, I would like to get some that are designed for this car, unfortunately I havent found any yet.
haven't heard of manually aired bags but i haven't looked into that. if you're looking for a towing setup...get a pick up truck. towing with a fwd vehicle sucks unless it's a very light trailer.
you can look into a tow kit as an alternative - all it does is stiffen the rear shocks so you can upgrade form class 1 to class 2 hitch - that might be too much weight for a bumper mounted hitch though.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 AM
boost me.....

A32shop.com.........They are a maxima.org sponsor too.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:07 AM

if you're looking for a towing setup...get a pick up truck.
Look I'm not rich and can barely afford to just maintain one vehicle and if I can only have one and have a choice it would be a 4th gen Maxima

towing with a fwd vehicle sucks unless it's a very light trailer.
Oh come on it's not so bad, just a small bit of tirespin in the rain if your not careful. Besides if sway ever occurs with FWD you actually have a chance of recovering (believe me I know this it has happened to me before)

you can look into a tow kit as an alternative - all it does is stiffen the rear shocks so you can upgrade form class 1 to class 2 hitch - that might be too much weight for a bumper mounted hitch though.
I don't have a bumper mounted hitch, I have a 2 inch frame mounted hitch that is custom built by a frame shop and mounted directly to the subframe, and supported by the bumper, the shop rated it class III.

In all seriousness the reason why I need air shocks is to jack up the rear of my car so I can use a special towing device that will greatly reduce stress on my car's unibody, it is called the Stinger Hitch Helper Single Wheel Unit. It supports most of the tongue weight of a trailer so the car's frame don't have to. However, the lowest setting of this "Hitch Helper" is 16" ground clearance and my receiver is only at 11" ground clearance. It currently has a 5.70-8 tire and the smallest I can find for it is a 4.00-8 tire but even at that my car is still 3.3 inches too low as this would only get it down to 14.3 inches ground clearance. I think I could accommodate for that 3.3 inches by jacking it up a little when towing with air shocks (if I can find some)

Please note I only pull a small lawnmower trailer with this car to mow a few yards a week and once or twice in the summer time the boat trailer from the house to the ramp.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Banned

i looked it up and it seems like an awesome thing - expensive though...
i bet any bags you might find will be for lowering though. i'm also thinking that having the rear jacked up over 3" from stock height will negatively impact driveability and might cause the rear end to fishtail (especially when windy) because it's light.
good luck though, hope you can find what you're looking for.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor

from to

don't know what to tell you man. completely outside the cars intended use (family hauler not trailer hauler). something custom is gonna be your only option i would think.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:36 PM

I know its outside the car's intended use but I am very notorious for using the wrong things to do the wrong activities. From using a computer made in '95 to run windows xp and watch dvds after many mods and upgrades to using a jon boat for cruising with a 5HP motor when it is only designed for a 2HP to using a maxima to pull a trailer after many mods.

Currently I have:
  • Extra large tranny cooler
  • Trailer brake control system with manual override
  • New shifter so to replace my old one with broken OD off switch
  • Custom built frame mounted class III 2" receiver hitch
  • Trailer hitch receiver support wheel to protect frame from tongue weight
  • Oversized alternator for brake controller.
  • Alternator Overdrive pulley for maximum output
Yes I know jacking it up would impact handling, but with the tongue support it would really help handling because I can increase tongue weight to prevent trailer sway and it would be a 3rd wheel for added traction.

Right now I am thinking I could use air bags or shocks with some blocks to raise them up at highest level then use the lowering function to get it down to normal level.

This may seem strange what I am doing but I guess I just might be a good ol' NC redneck