4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

severe tire wear issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 AM

severe tire wear issue

Yes, i know I should prob. post in the tire forum....but I don't think I would get a good responce as here. Anyway I knew i was in need of an alignment but the other day I wiped my tires clean and discovered both the far inside and far outside of my fronts are eat up.

Looks almost like the tire was run real low, but has not been. I've seen either the outside lip or the inside lip of a tire worn but never BOTH at the same time. What does this mean? Worn suspension? My car was lowered but has been on stock suspension for the last year or so.

I'll try and upload a pic later.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 AM

Have you checked any bushings for wear/cracks?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:34 AM

Here are the pics. The driver side is a little worse as u can see the core threads on the inside.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:55 AM
No more Maximas...

The passenger side looks more like a camber or extreme toe problem to me, driver's side probably the same (camber). Can't really tell much from the pics though, I don't see much wear on the outside of the tires at all.

FWIW if you run it low on air, it will wear down the two shoulders more quickly than the center of the tire, it's not restricted to just one side.

If you're going to get an alignment anyway, just take it to an alignment shop and (most of them) will give the front suspension/steering a lookover before doing the work; you'll then know if anything is wrong, if you can't crawl under and check everything out yourself.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:16 PM

Thanks pmohr. U can't really tell from the pics but the outside and inside almost look like u took a knife and shaved about a half inch of rubber off them. There is a extreme ridge of tire worn off both inside and out. I've just never had a set of tires wear like that. And they have always been inflated, never low.

Guess i'll be taking it in asap.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:05 PM

don't know if you have camber plates or not, but if you do, make sure its adjustable cause all the shops will tell you that its not adjustable and won't do it. I told the shop before hand and they said sure....ok..and i specifically told them that the book will say you can't adjust it, but i bought camber plates..and they said yea ok....well guess what..they didn't adjust anything of the camber and told me that camber will not be a problem on wearing out my tires..its the toe...just make sure that you take it to shop that knows what they're doing and make sure you're getting everything adjusted properly
Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i almost have the same problem on my nissan cefiro 98' model. but my issue is on the rear part of the suspension. i saw my tires are eaten up on the inner part of my rear tires (the right tire is much worse) the mechanic told me there is no adjustment since the camber for the rear is multi link. some of my friends told me that the car i got might got into a collision before i got them... but this only happened when i lowered the car. so what i did right for now is rotated the tires to counter the off camber situation of my rear suspension till i find a solution... need your help guys...

any thoughts in this? i'm from the Philippines by the way.
thanks to all!

Last edited by speednuts420; 07-07-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:47 PM
+Cru OG

Originally Posted by speednuts420
i almost have the same problem on my nissan cefiro 98' model. but my issue is on the rear part of the suspension. i saw my tires are eaten up on the inner part of my rear tires (the right tire is much worse) the mechanic told me there is no adjustment since the camber for the rear is multi link. some of my friends told me that the car i got might got into a collision before i got them... but this only happened when i lowered the car. so what i did right for now is rotated the tires to counter the off camber situation of my rear suspension till i find the a solution... need your help guys...

any thoughts in this? i'm from the Philippines by the way.
thanks to all!
Sabihin mo sa mekaniko mo na kailangan mo ng alignment.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:49 PM

All I have is what came from the factory lol. plus 13yrs. of road abuse. Like I said Iam back on factory suspension though.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:04 PM

before getting the alignment, check your camber with a leveler (one that around 2 feet long so you can put it up against the tire to see how bad the camber is). If its bad, get camber bolts to try and fix the problem before you get an alignment.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:18 PM

Bring it to an underchassis and wheel alignment expert and check the wheel alignment. Also, try to check the suspension parts for some problem.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:57 PM
PM me for LCA's!

Here's what I think--which is just an educated guess without looking under your car:

You have 2 problems. The first is worn inner tie rods and second is either the effect of lowering the car or a ball joint problem.

The wear on the inner part of the tire is not uncommon for a lowered Max, but it may be made worse by a bad ball joint. Since it's happening on both sides, it's probably the camber.

The inner tie rods can cause the outter to wear. You will get dynamic toe changes if your tie rod is too loose. The only good way to check is to take it off the steering knuckle and see if it hangs in the air by itself. If not, it's waaay worn.

Either way, have a good shop look at it if you can't. Changing the inner tie rods and ball joints is not hard but involved if you are more a novice. It's cheaper than tires, though.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 PM

The same thing is going on with my car as well! The inside of the tires are worn down almost to a flat surface while the out side still has high tread. I believe its a camber problem but don't have the time or money to go to a professional to get it realigned hahahaha
Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
Sabihin mo sa mekaniko mo na kailangan mo ng alignment.
bro walang wheel alignment ang likod ng cefiro.. multi link daw kasi... hassle nga eh...

btw, naka cefiro ka ba? join us at cefiroclub.tk

thanks sa reply
Old 07-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

@thomatt12- there is no alignment on my rear suspension bro. cefrios has multi link bar that holds up the two shocks in the rear. that's why im worried about the problem, worst come to worse i have to change the whole rear link of my car which im trying to avoid..

@snomax- are you talking about the front suspension of the car??? cause i'm not having problems with the front end of my car, just rear since it doesnt have the camber alignment and i cant put camber adjustment too unlike the civics...
i'll have it checked again this week if i have the time... thanks for the input bro..

OT: does maximas has multi link rear suspension as well??
Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 AM
No more Maximas...

OT: does maximas has multi link rear suspension as well??
Assuming you're referring to the rear beam setup, yes.

It is possible to adjust the camber in the rear, but most won't attempt it. You could also have the beam bent to fix alignment issues, but again, good luck finding someone to do so.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

@pmohr- yes thats exactly like mine. thats what the mechanic told me to do.. to get some things bent.. but my concern is what if i hit something on the road, would it be more fragile since its bent already?? and you said its possible to adjust the camber.. i would like to know how... thanks bro! this is a big help cause i got a 2nd opinion on bending some parts in the multi link!!! thanks a lot... more inputs please...

OT: how can you start your own thread here bro??
Old 07-07-2009, 12:38 PM
No more Maximas...

@pmohr- yes thats exactly like mine. thats what the mechanic told me to do.. to get some things bent.. but my concern is what if i hit something on the road, would it be more fragile since its bent already?? and you said its possible to adjust the camber.. i would like to know how... thanks bro! this is a big help cause i got a 2nd opinion on bending some parts in the multi link!!! thanks a lot... more inputs please...

OT: how can you start your own thread here bro??
By reading: http://forums.maxima.org/feedback-su...rt-thread.html

It's not likely to be any more fragile due to a slight bend. And if you take the rear apart, you can see how you could adjust the camber. Not the best way, but it's doable.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

and which part of the link will most likely the main cause of my off camber???

thanks for the answers bro
Old 07-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Actually any time you start bending tempered metals without retempering them you weaken them.. Now as to whether or not it will be enough to cause issues under normal use.. i doubt it but without knowing the alloy mix used I wouldn't be able to give you exacts.. I'm just an engineer not a metallurgist but my guess would be that it would take a total-wreck style force to cause issues
Old 07-07-2009, 02:53 PM
+Cru OG

bro walang wheel alignment ang likod ng cefiro.. multi link daw kasi... hassle nga eh...

btw, naka cefiro ka ba? join us at cefiroclub.tk

thanks sa reply
Joined @ cefiroclub.tk

Kung ang tires mo patay na ang inside groove, baka shocks mo wala na. Check mo na hindi pa pumutok at walang oil sa exterior ng shock.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:18 PM

I'm gonna have her checked in a another week or so. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks to all! i'll check it over the weekend.. will keep you guys updated!