4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Any suggestions for more 'howto' tutorials? Post them here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:13 PM

What I think might be nice to do is a more in-depth FAQ/glossary. Like, instead of just what every acronym stands for, a little blurb about where it is and what it does.

Also, it'd be great if the How-To stickies were a little more organized - there's a lot of dead links and that kind of stuff.

The problem I have with searching is that i'll get a bunch of relevant topics, but many of them will just be a newbie asking a question, then being told to search for it, or being given a simplistic answer. I was searching for PCV valve replacement today, and while I found what I was looking for, it took me about 20-30 minutes to find, because there was so much redundant information, and it was spread across several threads.

I'd be willing to help you get started on a glossary of terms, since I've learned most of them by now.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:15 PM

A write-up on changing the IPS bearing on a MT would be awesome yet impossible unless you had a spare transmission laying around.

Either way, thanks for the excellent information you've been providing us.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:15 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nalc
The problem I have with searching is that i'll get a bunch of relevant topics, but many of them will just be a newbie asking a question, then being told to search for it, or being given a simplistic answer. I was searching for PCV valve replacement today, and while I found what I was looking for, it took me about 20-30 minutes to find, because there was so much redundant information, and it was spread across several threads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV4nRjNp0C0

Old 07-11-2009, 10:33 PM

4th gen Glossary

feel free to add on

Intake and Fuel System:

Fuel filter - small filter located adjacent to the brake booster. Should be replaced periodically. The larger Z32 fuel filter (91-96 300ZX NA or TT) can be used if desired, which will increase the replacement interval, but not add any performance.

Airbox - The black plastic box located behind the battery. Can be modified to the "Ghetto Airbox" or "GAB", which involves drilling many holes in the lower portion, improving intake sound.

Resonator - This is a a small black sealed box located under the battery, which can be removed with no ill effects.

MAF - Mass Airflow Sensor. This is a small black cylindrical piece in the intake path, which measures the air density. If malfunctioning, car will have CEL and will be unable to rev to a high RPM. Can be cleaned with specialty "MAF Cleaner" spray.

TB - Throttle Body - Essentially a cylinder with a pivoting plate in it, controls the amount of air entering the engine. Has two mechanical cable linkages, one for the gas pedal, one for cruise control. Can be cleaned with TB cleaner.

UIM - Upper Intake Manifold. This connects to the throttle body on one end, and splits the intake air into 6 tubes, one for each cylinder.

LIM - Lower Intake Manifold. This is a Y shaped piece that sits between the cylinder banks, separating the 6 ports from the UIM into two sets of 3 ports for the cylinder heads.

USIM - The stock intake manifold on all North American 4th gens. Infamous for the 5500rpm cutoff, where the engine horsepower decreases above 5500rpm.

MEVI - Middle Eastern Variable Intake. This is a variable intake, which has butterfly valves to change the airflow at a certain RPM, which gives performance all the way to redline.

00VI - This is the variable intake from the VQ30DE-K motor found in '00 and '01 5th gens. Similar characteristics to the MEVI. Install is more complicated, but it gives more power.

HAI/Shortram - A short aftermarket intake consisting of a midpipe and a cone filter, where the filter is located directly behind the battery.

CAI - A long aftermarket intake, where the filter is either located behind the fender under the battery, or behind the radiator in front of the engine.

PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation. This is a 1-way valve located under the throttle body that allows vapors from the crankcase to re-enter the intake track, for improved emissions and gas mileage.

IACV - Idle Air Control Valve. This is a valve behind the throttle body, which connects to the intake resonator box with a rubber hose, and controls the idle on the car.

TPS - Throttle Position Sensor. This is a small sensor on the throttle body, that tells the ECU how far open the throttle body is.

IAT - Intake air temperature sensor. This is a small sensor located in the air scoop where it bends to meet the airbox. It measures the ambient air temperature.

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation. This is a small tube behind the throttle body, infamous for clogging itself. Vents some exhaust gas back into the intake, for improved emissions.

Motor

VC - Valve Cover. This is a piece that covers the camshafts and valves on the three cylinders. Connects to the cylinder heads with a gasket, which can sometimes leak, causing oil stains on the valve covers and intake manifold. There are two VCs, front and rear. This vents to the intake track.

Timing Chain - This is a chain that connects the crankshaft to all four camshafts, so that the valves open and close properly. Unlike a timing belt, a timing chain is not normally a wear item, and usually does not need to be replaced.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:35 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nalc
snip
That's great, but it's not applicable to this thread. Feel free to start your own.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:32 AM

A video showing how to pull out inner cv would be helpful as the other guide doesnt picture removing inner cv
Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 AM

A great thread to be pushed up........
Old 07-12-2009, 08:27 AM

A How-To on how to read the CEL codes IF one does not have a code reader. BTW, way to multitask on the video - one handed camera operator, FTW.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sounbwoy
A How-To on how to read the CEL codes IF one does not have a code reader.

Already been done

Old 07-12-2009, 09:48 AM

How about rear seat removal and rear deck removal for the speakers
Old 07-12-2009, 09:50 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Sounbwoy
A How-To on how to read the CEL codes IF one does not have a code reader. BTW, way to multitask on the video - one handed camera operator, FTW.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:52 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
Easy enough, will do.

Originally Posted by haydeno
A video showing how to pull out inner cv would be helpful as the other guide doesnt picture removing inner cv
I do have to replace my axle seals, so that may be coming as well.

Originally Posted by Bamfy98
This is kinda stupid, but I wish there was a tutorial on how to remove and install the dashboard (mainly for people who are doing the beige to black swap). What needs to be removed first in order to get the dashboard out and where the screws and clips are located.
Maybe in the future, ATM I've got no real need to pull the dash.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 AM

I would love to see how to correctly get to the rear speakers.
I just removed some speakers off a '97 at a junkyard yesterday. I ended up just tearing up every thing in the back to get to them....something I don't want to do with my car.

Right now I've got them ghetto rigged in my trunk not doing me much good
Old 07-12-2009, 10:24 AM

there is one on vqpower

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=39
Old 07-12-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by fat_kid

I dunt see video

I knew there was a write up. And by all means that is a good write up. But like i said earlier a video is just icing on the cake.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 AM

The definitions are great and some of the drawing I've seen around and in the FSM is nice but it would be cool to see a video just showing you going through the motions of this is X, Y and Z all in one video. Would be easy to do with one of those magnetic tool pickups from autozone as a pointer.

That would certainly help new people as some of those diagrams in the FSM aren't easy to read.

I never searched on this because of reading the FSM but if there isn't a writeup on multimeters you might write something up about ohming or using a multimeter to test various things. A pretty invaluable tool but I bet you most people that don't use a multimeter don't know that incorrect ranges on a multimeter gives you back incorrect data (0). [Might want to mention that pawn shops normally have really good multimeters for cheap(er) than the overpriced plastic radioshack sells.]

As far as a real tutorial goes this isn't maxima centered but you don't see much safety information. A small how-to about correct placement of stands and a lecture about the issues of only using hydrolic jacks would be good. My mother doesn't like stands but thinks the large car bay hydrolic lifts are safer. We kind of laughed at that one - solid steel stands versus the off chance that a gasket or seal in the hydrolics can leak or give away over time.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:22 AM

What about a "how to install a shifter boot and e-brake boot"
Pmohr.

Much needed thread. GJ.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fadrvr
What about a "how to put a shifter boot and e-brake boot"
Pmohr.

Much needed thread. GJ.
I think I've seen that somewhere. VQpower maybe but I can't really remember where because I need to switch mine.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:25 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by bushd
As far as a real tutorial goes this isn't maxima centered but you don't see much safety information. A small how-to about correct placement of stands and a lecture about the issues of only using hydrolic jacks would be good. My mother doesn't like stands but thinks the large car bay hydrolic lifts are safer. We kind of laughed at that one - solid steel stands versus the off chance that a gasket or seal in the hydrolics can leak or give away over time.
As a general rule, automotive lifts are safer than using jackstands. You are aware that the lifts don't solely rely on hydraulic pressure to keep the vehicle in the air, correct? While they can, they're designed as such for safety reasons, not for the purpose of using it like that (same as a floor jack). Everytime you raise a vehicle on a lift, you should be lowering it down onto the locks before even getting underneath it.

Sure, the seals can leak or become damaged over time; exactly the same as a floor jack. Unlike a floor jack, however, automotive lifts contain locks that will keep the vehicle from plummeting to the floor if the hydraulics fail, whereas a floor jack doesn't. They also can be equipped with alternate safety equipment, such as a rate limiter to keep the car from falling too quickly, even with complete hydraulic failure.

Not to mention that due to them being permanently installed and mounted to the floor, they're far more stable and less likely to tip than a jackstand can ever be.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by JtzMax
You could do one on interior - center dash removal, instru cluster, door pannel, just what ever.
Instrument cluster (speedo / tach) sorry, was being lazzzzzy.

On a more serious note though, how about the shifter bushing maybe. I need to do mine, never done it (need to get one first) and it would help to have a 'how to' on that. Done the short throw shifter so I am somewhat aware of what all is needed, but not entirerly.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:28 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Instrument cluster (speedo / tach) sorry, was being lazzzzzy.

On a more serious note though, how about the shifter bushing maybe. I need to do mine, never done it (need to get one first) and it would help to have a 'how to' on that. Done the short throw shifter so I am somewhat aware of what all is needed, but not entirerly.
I was ing about there already being a removal for that.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...lots-pics.html
Old 07-12-2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
I'm no help there.

Look at the clutch writeups, it's virtually the same. I believe the 5MT swap writeup also covers it.
I thought since you've had like 5 trannies....
Old 07-12-2009, 08:13 PM

Pmohr/MOHFpro90, I'm going to take a butt load of pics/video for your tutorials when doing my projects soon.

-00vi install/modifications/repair
-VACF2 install
-Summit RPM switch (i know VACF2 has one built in, but i have one available, so why not)
Old 07-12-2009, 08:22 PM

Yea an 00vi writeup would be great!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Kevlo for President

Some of you guys need a Haynes manual......
Old 07-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Based on what people seem to ask about, and what I found to be a pain the first time:

Starter replacement

Air intake removal (just because it makes such a difference if you're working around in that area)

Hood struts (simple, but I wasted too much time head-scratching when I did it)

Rear brake pads (parking brake removal and screwing in piston)

For that matter, I suppose front brake/rotor replacement too, but that's pretty basic.

O2 sensors (particularly where they are, and any tricks for routing wires; esp. permission to cut the old wire to get it out of there)

I'd vote for EGR cleaning too, but I guess that ain't gonna happen...
Old 07-14-2009, 03:56 PM
No more Maximas...

Starter, hood struts, and front and rear door panel videos are being edited now. Should be a couple of hours, because my Windows machine sucks.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
Pmohr/MOHFpro90, I'm going to take a butt load of pics/video for your tutorials when doing my projects soon.

-00vi install/modifications/repair
-VACF2 install
-Summit RPM switch (i know VACF2 has one built in, but i have one available, so why not)
what about tatanko's site? thats where i got most of my info
http://tatanko.boredmder.com/
Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by DBear

O2 sensors (particularly where they are, and any tricks for routing wires; esp. permission to cut the old wire to get it out of there)

I'd vote for EGR cleaning too, but I guess that ain't gonna happen...
+1
Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 PM

Windows machine sucks.
c:\ format c:\

since your so bored

Last edited by Product_Of_Korea; 07-14-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 PM

How about how to tune your fuel system. Most people know that factory ECUs are not tuned to the particular engine they control. This would also be helpful for those going 00vi and switching the LIM.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:03 PM
No more Maximas...

c:\ format c:\

since your so bored
The only reason I even keep a Windows machine around is for CS and video editing, basically. For everything else I do computer wise, I use my Gentoo box.

Anyway, fell asleep earlier, so still editing the videos.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Hooooooonda.....

make one to diagnose my fuel system and why my fuel pump doesn't prime when every procedure of the diagnosis comes back ok.
Get back to me on that...
Old 07-14-2009, 10:55 PM
wxm

Thanks for doing these for us.

I am about to replace my swaybar end link a video would be great help, and of course if you happen to drop oil pan or replace RMS, I'd definitely sign up for a tutorial DVD.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

We have an excellent pictorial how to for my other car 7 series BMW. Maybe you can get some ideas here http://www.e38.org/ e38.org Most of the members contribute how they modified stuff or replaced things. Pretty detailed.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by wxm
Thanks for doing these for us.

I am about to replace my swaybar end link a video would be great help, and of course if you happen to drop oil pan or replace RMS, I'd definitely sign up for a tutorial DVD.
Heh. My end links (along with the rest of the front end) need replacements as well, but I'll make a vid of that.

My starter vid is still coming, YouTube just fails and cuts it in half (even though it's only 8 minutes long). So I'm reencoding that, hopefully that'll fix it.

Originally Posted by superchaos
We have an excellent pictorial how to for my other car 7 series BMW. Maybe you can get some ideas here http://www.e38.org/ e38.org Most of the members contribute how they modified stuff or replaced things. Pretty detailed.
I've actually already read pretty much every tutorial listed there (lots of free time), there is some good stuff there.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:19 PM

your narrative is freaking funny man. Everytime i see one of your how-to's i chuckle.

Infomative and humorus gotta love it. Keep up the good work

Has anyone suggested headlights(the whole housing)??
Old 07-17-2009, 03:21 PM
No more Maximas...

your narrative is freaking funny man. Everytime i see one of your how-to's i chuckle.

Infomative and humorus gotta love it. Keep up the good work

Has anyone suggested headlights(the whole housing)??
Yea, I need to entertain myself while wrenching. God, you should hear me off camera.

Removing the entire headlight? I could do the driver's side, but my passenger's side is all messed up. Couldn't cover grill removal either (weight reduction/hitting a dog, whichever you want to call it).
Old 07-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Yea, I need to entertain myself while wrenching. God, you should hear me off camera.

Removing the entire headlight? I could do the driver's side, but my passenger's side is all messed up. Couldn't cover grill removal either (weight reduction/hitting a dog, whichever you want to call it).

thats some cheap weight reduction
Old 07-18-2009, 12:53 PM
No more Maximas...

Knock sensor replacement vid is up, the first part anyway.

Second part is still rendering, since YouTube seems to be failing at AVI, I have to render the damn things in WMV (****tiest codec of all time, IMO). Another hour or two, something like that.

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for more 'howto' tutorials? Post them here.