4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brief hesitation from stop to go (Auto)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 AM

Brief hesitation from stop to go (Auto)

Hello,

I'm so used to searching the site with google, alas I'm a premium member so I used the advanced search to try and find some answers. I hope Phmor doesn't shrink my junk in response if this was easy to find :P

Condition:
Full tune up. 17" Nissan wheels (don't know the model it came off, but must be 2003-2005 wheels). Rear engine mount shot, although I don't know why it would contribute to below. No signs of any other problems. No codes. New O2s. 150k miles.

Scenario:
Either cold or warm, coming from a full stop, if you gently accelerate (picture grandma driving) the car RPM increases nominally, however it feels like there's almost 0 power is going to the wheels. This happens (assuming a constant throttle) until *buck* then everything is AOK. Buck happens I believe around 1200-1500rpm or so.

Replicating the problem while, say, you are late for work... NO problems.

Thoughts?

I'm very much appreciative of your time.

-t

PS I *believe* I have eliminated spark plugs, coil packs, cable tensions, TB buildup, cylinder valve buildup, EGR buildup, PCV valve.

I'm wondering if a failing TPS is the case. I believe when I checked the resistances a few months ago, it failed the "closed" position check.

Last edited by AustinTylerDean; 07-22-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 AM

Odd, if you were to be moving slowly and trying to accelerate back up then there would be a hesitation from the car not shifting into 1st gear and trying to get up to speed starting at 5MPH or something, but your problem is that it is hesitating at a full stop which doesn't make sense unless there is something wrong with the transmission? haha

Sorry I'm no help, lets wait for Pmohr.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by AustinTylerDean
Either cold or warm, coming from a full stop, if you gently accelerate (picture grandma driving) the car RPM increases nominally, however it feels like there's almost 0 power is going to the wheels. This happens (assuming a constant throttle) until *buck* then everything is AOK. Buck happens I believe around 1200-1500rpm or so.
Your gently accelerating (grandma style) from a stop. Then you feel the buck and everything is OK. What was wrong or what were you feeling that wasn't OK? You say no power to the wheels, but also state that your accelerating gently, like grandma. Is the car actually moving forward or is the tranny slipping and your not moving at all, then the buck?
If your car is indeed slowly accelerating forward, then you could be simply feeling the tranny shift into 2nd gear and with your bad motor mount it might give you that buck as you describe.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I used to have a similar problem. I would hit the gas from being stopped at a red light and the car would move almost as if it were just idle roll and around 1,500 rpm or so you could feel the power suddenly drop off then kick back in and then it would be fine. This was mostly when I was using 87 octane fuel when prices were like 6 dollars a gallon, but the problem ended up being the fuel pump for me. Replaced it and haven't seen any issues since
Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mmmaxx
I used to have a similar problem. I would hit the gas from being stopped at a red light and the car would move almost as if it were just idle roll and around 1,500 rpm or so you could feel the power suddenly drop off then kick back in and then it would be fine. This was mostly when I was using 87 octane fuel when prices were like 6 dollars a gallon, but the problem ended up being the fuel pump for me. Replaced it and haven't seen any issues since
I was thinking bad fuel also. Did you gas up a a new location than normal? Let the tank go near empty, then fuel up at a reliable gas station. A bottle of Techron won't hurt.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM

whats your intake setup and how's the weather been?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 PM

This happened to me and i had to get my tranny rebuilt
Old 07-23-2009, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by tarheel62592
ummmmmm, what? i love some people's responses, especially this one....
Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by max ride 41
ummmmmm, what? i love some people's responses, especially this one.

His comment makes sense, yours however does not.
It may very well be a tranny problem.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:06 PM

Well the fuel pump is a good start. I haven't replaced that yet. I live in San Jose.. the weather is some of the most consistent in the country. However when gas was expensive, I was using 87. I have consistently used 91 at Chevron for quite some time now. Aside from an induction service, I have tried to clean up the rest of the intake.

You say no power to the wheels, but also state that your accelerating gently, like grandma. Is the car actually moving forward or is the tranny slipping and your not moving at all, then the buck?
The car is in gear, and supplying *some* amount of power to the wheels, albeit nearly negligible.

Well, I REALLY hope it's not that. It would be my only noticable tranny problem.

Thanks everyone, if you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.