4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-Pipe with headers from EBAY!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 AM

Y-Pipe with headers from EBAY!!

Opinions please.

I saw these and i have to admit i got a lil giddy lol.

I thinkin these are direct-bolt ons

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-30-2009, 11:58 AM
mod or sell?

that front o2 sensor setup is bad news. My gut tells me it will read wrong and cause issues since the sensor will not actually be in the exhaust flow.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:04 PM

Just buy it for the Y-Pipe
Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Just buy it for the Y-Pipe

thats what i was thinkin. Jus get the y-pipe.

I kno the header on the radiator side is rusted so the firewall side is prolly rusted too. But its direct fit bolt on.

I dont think the 02 sensor has to be totally in the flow path. I think if fits bubble tight with no exhaust leak past it to atm..then it will be fine.

Are the 02 sensors threaded??
Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 PM

I jus saw a pic of the 02 sensors online. they are threaded. It will be fine then.

304 SS kid!!!

How hard is it to remove the firewall side exhaust header if anyone knows???

Thats a helluva deal for the pipe, headers, and gaskets

Last edited by cashoit; 12-30-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:31 PM

only difference in the ebay y-pipe vs the normal ones is the piping is 2.25" vs the 2.5" of the warpspeed and others. Its not much of a difference u will def. get more power out of the warpspeed and others but u will probably get more torque out of the ebay one, especially down low.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
only difference in the ebay y-pipe vs the normal ones is the piping is 2.25" vs the 2.5" of the warpspeed and others. Its not much of a difference u will def. get more power out of the warpspeed and others but u will probably get more torque out of the ebay one, especially down low.

THe Warspeed is made out of aluminized steel vs the ebay is SS. Im goin with the SS.

U right about the sizes too. I dont really understand why they increase the dia size of aftermarket exhaust systems. Bigger pipe is slower velocity. The engine only emits a certain amount of exhaust flow and that amount is independent of the exhaust diameter. I guess at higher flows the best size is 2.5 inches and on the low end it may be something like 1.75 inches. So the nissan designers went for 2 inches so accomodate both.

As a sort of experiment...i replaced the OEM muffler with a racing bullet. NOw the car redlines much easier. Like, the backpressure at higher RPMs due to the OEM muffler was elimnated so now the car will redline easier and i havent noticed any low end power loss either. I actually WANT to keep the stock pipe.

I think with the Y-pipe...the flow will be more laminar and therefore faster and will increase HP at all RPMs
Old 12-30-2009, 01:29 PM

wow, is the outlet really 2.85in? i'm always looking for ebay headers but all the out lets are 2.25 and i can never find a 2.5 but 2.85, thats a little to much for n/a no?...
Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
THe Warspeed is made out of aluminized steel vs the ebay is SS. Im goin with the SS.

U right about the sizes too. I dont really understand why they increase the dia size of aftermarket exhaust systems. Bigger pipe is slower velocity. The engine only emits a certain amount of exhaust flow and that amount is independent of the exhaust diameter. I guess at higher flows the best size is 2.5 inches and on the low end it may be something like 1.75 inches. So the nissan designers went for 2 inches so accomodate both.

As a sort of experiment...i replaced the OEM muffler with a racing bullet. NOw the car redlines much easier. Like, the backpressure at higher RPMs due to the OEM muffler was elimnated so now the car will redline easier and i havent noticed any low end power loss either. I actually WANT to keep the stock pipe.

I think with the Y-pipe...the flow will be more laminar and therefore faster and will increase HP at all RPMs
i wasnt really even thinking about construction.

but especially if u are driving an MT the loss in low end torque from the y-pipe is extremely hard to notice, it wasnt until i put my exhaust on until i notice that a slight bit of the low end torque was gone. From my understanding AT will be most acute to loss of torque. thats just something to keep in mind.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
that front o2 sensor setup is bad news. My gut tells me it will read wrong and cause issues since the sensor will not actually be in the exhaust flow.
What the hell are you talking about? Have you seen the pic of the pipe?
Old 12-30-2009, 02:55 PM

I have installed the ebay y-pipe, better believe once your down there it will take some pounding to get it in. It's really tight to get the ebay brand installed. Once you line it up a little bit right, well 95% lol, use a 12 inch extension and a hammer and knock it in flush then screw in the bolts.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:52 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by GStrength
What the hell are you talking about? Have you seen the pic of the pipe?
have you looked at the header?
they have sensor screwing into the header off an elbow from the center pipe of the manifold.

that can not get an accurate reading.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Nozama
That's the EGR on the rear header, that's correct. The Y has both O2 bungs.
oops, I haven't been into mine like that yet.
Last couple times I just walked into the shop with the sensor and said install.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Grumpy old guy

The OBX and Catmann have the same connector but it's supposed to be there and the O2 bungs are in the stream.

Sorry I deleted the last post while editing.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:50 PM

seems rather cheap for an all ss setup...id be cautious, check the guys feedback to see if anyone complained about fitment issues or anything
Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Phatmax98
seems rather cheap for an all ss setup...id be cautious, check the guys feedback to see if anyone complained about fitment issues or anything
they are fine, there are countless numbers of people running these header/y-pipe combos, check peoples sigs if there mod list says XSpower or Stone Mountain Racing, they are teh same header/y-pipe as these.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
have you looked at the header?
they have sensor screwing into the header off an elbow from the center pipe of the manifold.

that can not get an accurate reading.
I think that's for the EGR system.

I have that Y pipe. The front sensor location is fine. I get 30+ mpg on the highway doing 75, that's closed loop. Fitment was a bit off, but one you get it there its fine. The front pipe just barely touches the oil pan. I don't think its worth worrying about. Increase in power is drastic. I would definitely by this y pipe again. There is a slight "bees in a can" sound from the flex coupler, but its not enough to bother me.

My biggest gripe is that there are no grooves in the flanges on the y pipe where they bolt to the headers for the stock crush gasket. I bought new ones and used mega copper RTV to hold them in place. I have no exhaust leaks. You could probably omit the crush gasket altogether if you wanted, just sticking with the copper RTV. Apply sparingly.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:58 AM

Thanks peeps.

So if i am hearing / reading correctly...all systems are go right lol.

I mean.. i could install myself but my boy is a mechanic and im wicked cool with the shop owner. WE cd put this stuff on in a hr or 2. Pay him like 30 bucks and a six pack hehe.

THe RTV is a good idea for the gasket between the headers and Y-pipe, but the setup i will be buying comes with the gasket.

I jus checked the FSM and that opening in the header is for the EGR. Jus thread it in and good to go

The exit opening is quite large i agreee. 2.85"...but i think that is for the exhaust manifold to the y pipe. The y-pipe seems to neck down to 2". But i will do some research.

All and all, it looks like a good SS system.

WIth the intake, y-pipe, and racing muffler...im estimating 20+ extra HP. I spent 20 for the muffler, 30 for the intake, and 150+30 bucks for the y-pipe. 20+ HP for 250 bucks!!! There are greddy catbacks that cost more hehe
Old 12-31-2009, 08:36 AM

lol @ this thread. Yeah go ahead and buy them they work. I put them on my 3.5 swap car and ran 13.8@101. We're about to switch them out for the OBXv2's though.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:22 AM

[quote=cashoit;7359897]
The exit opening is quite large i agreee. 2.85"...but i think that is for the exhaust manifold to the y pipe. The y-pipe seems to neck down to 2". But i will do some research.

[\quote]

lmk if you come across the outlet size if its any different, i'm interested in this header as well...
Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 PM

will headers themselves make any noticable/legitimate power gains?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 PM

I had Stone Mountain Racing SS setup on my 00..it fit perfect no CEL's..no leaks..no problems..It was loud as hell..I plan on puting one on my 98 as well.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by LCC.MaX
will headers themselves make any noticable/legitimate power gains?

Idk man...but SS will sure look hella cool in the engine bay lol
Old 01-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have someone thats looks just like that! and they give some power gains! cheap yes, but it works! looks good in the engine bay to
Old 01-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same set up on my old maxima (2000 se, auto) I had a Weapon R short ram and that y pipe, no headers. It was very noticeable in the power i got. The torque down low was nice as well.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:17 AM

im pretty sure they'll give you gains, its 2.5" right and its slightly bigger than stock. Its polished also, so you can see your self and smile : ). I seen really good specials on ebay for the WARPSPEED Y-pipe with the Cat for sale...i think it was like 300$ or 350$...
Old 01-22-2010, 04:39 AM

i got the intake and exhaust now and the car is Breathing right. Im hesitant to complete this mod cuz i might lose low end torque.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:43 AM
4th gen <3

Just wanted to touch base on this garbage so some of you newbies out there won't get the wrong idea.

If you know anything about engine performance, you know that the first 24 inches of exhaust piping is the most crucial to performance. As the exhaust gasses travel through the exhaust system, the gas is rapidly cooling. Thus, the y-pipe is incredibly important. The stock manifolds on the VQ30 are actually excellent in respect to flow characteristics. They are actually an upgrade for a VQ35 as they don't have precats (most of the time). Companies like Cattman and Warpspeed took the time and spent the money testing flow dynamics on there exhaust components. Companies like OBX copy these companies the best they can while using cheap chinese metals and production. Now, I can actually say good things about OBX now because the ramhorn style equal length tubular turbo manifold on my DSM was made by them. It has seen 30-35psi of boost for more than 3 years on 2 different engines and has not let up.

Now, to touch base on why Nissan does things the way they do. They design the exhaust system with only a couple things in mind. Quiet opreation, emmissions regulations, while having a good power band for the everyday consumer. The everyday consumer could give a **** about peak horsepower, they wan't response. Smaller diameter exhaust systems offer this response because it takes virtually no time to hit peak velocity on a 2'' piece of a pipe that has numerous restrictions with a 3000cc V6 engine. An ideal exhaust system creates a strong "scavenging" effect. Scavenging is caused by extremely low restrictive high flowing exhaust systems that increases exhaust velocity to the point that it actually PULLS the exhaust out of the combustion chambers. This is incredibly important for naturally aspirated engines.

Bottom line is this: You get what you pay for. Your paying for design time, flowbench testing, and dyno testing. When you pay for cheaper components, your paying for a copy of a design with no testing.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:30 AM

^ AR2 A32, PICTARS NAOWWWWW (in member rides of course)

i got the intake and exhaust now and the car is Breathing right. Im hesitant to complete this mod cuz i might lose low end torque.
On our V6? you'd have to try to lose low end tq... It's the VQ we have low end to spare unlike most other cars.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by boostlogic
Just wanted to touch base on this garbage so some of you newbies out there won't get the wrong idea.

If you know anything about engine performance, you know that the first 24 inches of exhaust piping is the most crucial to performance. As the exhaust gasses travel through the exhaust system, the gas is rapidly cooling. Thus, the y-pipe is incredibly important. The stock manifolds on the VQ30 are actually excellent in respect to flow characteristics. They are actually an upgrade for a VQ35 as they don't have precats (most of the time). Companies like Cattman and Warpspeed took the time and spent the money testing flow dynamics on there exhaust components. Companies like OBX copy these companies the best they can while using cheap chinese metals and production. Now, I can actually say good things about OBX now because the ramhorn style equal length tubular turbo manifold on my DSM was made by them. It has seen 30-35psi of boost for more than 3 years on 2 different engines and has not let up.

Now, to touch base on why Nissan does things the way they do. They design the exhaust system with only a couple things in mind. Quiet opreation, emmissions regulations, while having a good power band for the everyday consumer. The everyday consumer could give a **** about peak horsepower, they wan't response. Smaller diameter exhaust systems offer this response because it takes virtually no time to hit peak velocity on a 2'' piece of a pipe that has numerous restrictions with a 3000cc V6 engine. An ideal exhaust system creates a strong "scavenging" effect. Scavenging is caused by extremely low restrictive high flowing exhaust systems that increases exhaust velocity to the point that it actually PULLS the exhaust out of the combustion chambers. This is incredibly important for naturally aspirated engines.

Bottom line is this: You get what you pay for. Your paying for design time, flowbench testing, and dyno testing. When you pay for cheaper components, your paying for a copy of a design with no testing.
Bumping an old thread. Yea. I know. Sue me
Do you have any evidence that proves the eBay SS Y pipe is inferior to the warpspeed one? Design flaws? Dyno numbers? Back to back. Etc.
Not stiring a pot or anything. I'm just wondering.
Fitment issues to me arent a big deal. Anyone who messes with cars should know things don't always go according to plan when it comes to fitment.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by ajm8127
I think that's for the EGR system.

I have that Y pipe. The front sensor location is fine. I get 30+ mpg on the highway doing 75, that's closed loop. Fitment was a bit off, but one you get it there its fine. The front pipe just barely touches the oil pan. I don't think its worth worrying about. Increase in power is drastic. I would definitely by this y pipe again. There is a slight "bees in a can" sound from the flex coupler, but its not enough to bother me.

My biggest gripe is that there are no grooves in the flanges on the y pipe where they bolt to the headers for the stock crush gasket. I bought new ones and used mega copper RTV to hold them in place. I have no exhaust leaks. You could probably omit the crush gasket altogether if you wanted, just sticking with the copper RTV. Apply sparingly.
A step up in quality is SCE copper gaskets Reuseable for life....The flange is a 3-bolt 2.25" I believe...I'm running Cattman and I installed all SCE copper gaskets during the initial install several years ago and they're still good....

Last edited by CMax03; 03-14-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:12 PM

I'll pick up 1 of these ASAP....just for giggles as well! Just to see if there are any improvements in performance compared to my present setup of OEM exhaust manifolds and Warpspeep ypipe and an 2.5" MES Catback...
Old 03-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had these headers on my max, have some power gains over stock but they did produce "bees in a can" sound from like 6-7k rpm. You get what you pay for. I would have saved up for obx if I could go back in time. As for install, they bolted right up. I guess they are good for what they are but IMO don't go cheap on you car yea its good to save money but they're nothing like obx.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by maxipad98
Had these headers on my max, have some power gains over stock but they did produce "bees in a can" sound from like 6-7k rpm. You get what you pay for. I would have saved up for obx if I could go back in time. As for install, they bolted right up. I guess they are good for what they are but IMO don't go cheap on you car yea its good to save money but they're nothing like obx.
For $139 I'll set mine up when a High Quality Vibrant Turbo flex coupling w/interlock liner and won't even look back!
Old 03-14-2015, 11:45 PM

I just got some no name brand headers and Catless Y pipe on eBay for 50 dollars shipped. Guess we'll see how bad or good they are. I'll keep it posted and take some pix of the install
Old 03-15-2015, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Roachjuice
I just got some no name brand headers and Catless Y pipe on eBay for 50 dollars shipped. Guess we'll see how bad or good they are. I'll keep it posted and take some pix of the install
Does the headers, look like in the pics above in this thread.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:18 AM

Most of those inexpensive headers all look alike too me...and I'm sure it's all made by the same Chinese mfg. which uses alot of different distributors under different brands!
Old 03-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CMax03
Most of those inexpensive headers all look alike too me...and I'm sure it's all made by the same Chinese mfg. which uses alot of different distributors under different brands!
Exactly
Old 03-20-2015, 01:35 PM

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post9032261
Old 03-21-2015, 02:51 PM

I have an all ebay exhaust. From front to back and still have no issues. Just replaced o2 sensors recently. Although it is SS the headers get that film/stain from the heat. Mine doesn't have the port in the front though. I wouldn't recommend mixing up different brands of exhaust parts to due some being different measurements and height difference.