4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gauging Interest in a 3" exhaust from Cattman

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
The flange on the muffler is hitting the heatshield above it. You will need to bend that part of the heatshield out of the way or cut it. I believe the Wizard mentioned it when he had the exhaust installed.

I also installed my rear sway bar last week, had to place the mounts on the trailing arms as close to the axle as possible otherwise the mount would rub on the b-pipe 24/7.
Yeah I remember he mentioned bending the heat shield somewhere, just couldn't remember where. I'll check again when I get the blank flanges.

I'll keep the sway bar info in mind. Im looking on adding it myself. Could you post a pic of the solution you found so it doesnt rub on the b pipe.

Originally Posted by CMax03
What generation Cattman header 1st, 2nd or 3rd....The 3rd pushed my exhaust back about 1.5" on my 5.5th so maybe you have one of the others.....
It was probably the second.. not to sure I had my headers about 2 years or so. Like I said before my 2.5 tail pipe protruded about 1" 1/2 with all Cattman pipes.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:03 PM

You guys won't like it but, I'll post it anyways...

Just a sneak peek, full review someday after I get my car back and dyno it.

Last edited by aackshun; 12-07-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 PM

How does that 3" Catback react too those OBX headers?.....it seems a little more vocal now.....
Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 PM

That video was prior to the header installation, so it was just I/Y/HFC/3"

I have yet to bolt up the catback to the headers because I need me some gaskets and hardware (they grew legs and walked away!!).

Anyways, you'll get a sneak peak vid of the headers+catback some time tomorrow night hopefully...
Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Still kickin'

How does that 3" Catback react too those OBX headers?.....it seems a little more vocal now.....
based on what I can tell, since I have the OBX long tube headers, the headers make the sound smoother (since y-pipes cause slight flow disruption due to their unequal length).

Take a look at the video in my sig (which is posted on a previous page as well)

edit: the second video I took shows the difference in tone/smoothness

Last edited by Mad-MAX_SE; 12-07-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mad-MAX_SE
based on what I can tell, since I have the OBX long tube headers, the headers make the sound smoother (since y-pipes cause slight flow disruption due to their unequal length).

Take a look at the video in my sig (which is posted on a previous page as well)
Our cars bare very few similarities.... I think he was interested from a 30DE p.o.v.

who knows?

Anywho my answer is yes, the catback made the exhaust tone noticeably deeper, and if you listen closely to the before and after vids you can actually hear my car from behind (unlike before you'd hear only sound in the front and once it passes it gets pretty quiet).
Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Still kickin'

my bad, for whatever reason I was thinking you had a 3.5...
Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Nope! Still rockin the 3.0 till my 3.5 savings reached the right spot, she won't be a 3.5er until late January (hoping).

I think i'm the only guy ever to have a 3" on a VQ30DE...
Old 12-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxprivate
Attachment 1899The only thing Im disappointed with is the tip sitting flush with my bumper . It does not stick out like the Wizards does, and according to Brian Catts the Wiz and I have the same set up ie, Cattman headers, fast cat and 3.0" catback. I found that really weird. I spoke to Brian about this and to correct the problem I had to purchase two 3/8 blank flanges that need to be installed between the mid pipe and muffler flange. This will bring the tip out that extra 3/4"... yes it bothers me that much that I spent and extra 50 bucks to buy the flanges.
I'm sorry to hear the tip doesn't fall where it should and look like mine. For the record, test fitting and the final install was done on my bone stock 98 Max. I have not installed the 3" on my boosted 99 yet. I' m actually a little bit worried now, as my boosted 99 has 3rd gen Cattman headers, Cattman fastcat, and the Cattman 2.5" catback just like yourself; and gonna switch to the 3" catback asap. Come to think of it, after the header install, I remember scratching my head as to why the tip of the muffler suddenly stuck out a good distance more from the rear bumper cover.

If mine falls short like yours, I'm gonna be kinda bummed. It's bad enough I had to spend time and money getting new hangars to help solve the banging issue (which isn't 100% gone by the way......more on this later). Now I may have to spend more $$ to fix another issue?? I hope not. I'll try and stay optimistic.

Originally Posted by Cattman
Thanks for reporting on that. I tell people that the same catback will fit differently on different vehicles and they think I'm jiving them, but its true.

Each catback we make is the same dimensionally, but the cars themselves vary, and I think this is mainly a matter of 1) how the engine/driveline gets planted in the chassis, 2) differences between the exhaust parts ahead of the catback that cause the rear flange of the cat (where the catback attaches, for the newbies) to end up in different positions and, 3) small variations in how the chassis itself is assembled. I think the parts themselves are fairly consistant dimensionally, its how they are assembled that creates the variations.
I've been trying to see your point of view, but it's not adding up to me. I'm sure Nissan has much tighter tolerances and much more expensive machines than your fabricator. Given the 3 examples you provided, none of those even seem plausible. Going by your logic, it seems no two Nissan Maxima's should be the same and the OEM tip could vary slightly. I bet if we measured 10 stock Maximas, the tip in relation to the bumper cover would be within 1/16 of an inch. This could be a cool little experiment! What Maxprivate is describing seems to be more than a measly 1/16 of an inch.

Originally Posted by maxboy325
Sorry worded that wrong from my phone. What I ment was, The Wizard installed the 3" on his stock car. Stock manifolds and stock Y-pipe. I said this because you stated the two of you have the same setup but different fitment
You are correct.

I think you guys are talking about two different cars.. There is his supercharged max which I assume uses cattman from the headers back. And there is his stock max which the test fit was done on and has the 3" currently installed.
You are correct as well.
Regardless whether what car it was (the non-supercharged was the guinae pig) if you want yours to fit like that, just buy the extra flange and call it the day.....it's easy! Or ship the Rear section back to Brian and pay for a longer tip and shipment back and forth....
I'll keep this in mind....If the tip falls short on my boosted 99 Max, I ask you to easily Paypal me $50 for additional parts.... No big deal, right? Wanna pay me $20 for my exhaust hangars too??

What generation Cattman header 1st, 2nd or 3rd....The 3rd pushed my exhaust back about 1.5" on my 5.5th so maybe you have one of the others.....
I believe I have his 3rd gen headers on my boosted 99. We'll see soon how things turn out for me.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Hey Wiz, before you suggest that my logic is implausible, do the research for yourself. What you're suggesting may sound logical, but it doesn't stand up in practice.

When I bought my new G35C, I got it home and realized that the two exhaust tips were not symmetical in their placement, both in terms of being centered in the openings and length. I stormed back to the dealership, figuring they'd gotten jacked around in transit, and there was the explanation - a long row of G35s, and no two pairs of exhaust tips were the same. Different lengths, different positions, and I've talked to Z guys who said the same thing. So much for the precision of Nissan assembly.

The Nissan parts, individually, are pretty much exactly the same, but I stand 100% behind my comments on dimensional variations in how they're assembled. Talk to any body shop pro, they'll tell you the same thing regarding dimensional consistency between the bodywork in supposedly identical cars.

And yes, our catbacks are the same from one to another; they have to be, they're all made in the same captivating fixture. We design from stock, so if the rear flange of the cat is in a slightly different position that the typical stock position (due to aftermarket parts that add up to slightly different lengths than stock), then that adds another variable.

These other variables easily explain small differences in tip orientation, without trying to blame this on inconsistancies in the dimensions of our catbacks. Bottom line is that its impossible to make one catback that will orient the same way on every car.

If it has to be within 1/16" of your preferred position (which also varies between individuals), then do what I've suggested, use an extra flange to make adjustments. There is nothing unreasonable about suggesting that, since its impossible to make one length that will please everyone, or fit the same way on every car.

Brian
Old 12-08-2010, 04:27 AM
Black Lion

Whatever the case is, there is no longer the element of surprise. I also have some banging (more like a vibration) and I think its coming from the muffler flange hitting the heat shield like the Wiz and Smelly said. I took a look under there and that flange is almost touching the shield. I'll try bending and it up and see it that fixes the banging.

Brian, Im still waiting on those blank flanges. Im gonna give you a call later.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:52 AM
Still kickin'

I know you guys have later model max's, but with mine, it sticks out about 1 1/4" past the bumper (which is fine, i really don't mind too much). Also, like others have said, clearance around my new Progress sway bar is really tight. I only get any vibration/rattle on initial startup and it seems to me that it's coming from my OBX header's flex section area (or around the cat). There's always going to be slight nuances from car to car. Even solid mounting points like seats can be different from car to car. My roommate and I both have aftermarket seats and the same brackets; mine bolted right in no problem, my roommate's wouldn't line up at all (and we even tried my brackets just in case there was a problem with his just to check and still had the same problem) and had to bore out the mounting holes about 1/4" to make them all line up correctly.

Originally Posted by The Wizard
If mine falls short like yours, I'm gonna be kinda bummed. It's bad enough I had to spend time and money getting new hangars to help solve the banging issue (which isn't 100% gone by the way......more on this later). Now I may have to spend more $$ to fix another issue?? I hope not. I'll try and stay optimistic.
I'm surprised you're having banging issues with brand new almost solid hangers. I have my stock hangers in every location other than one at the rear wheel (old muffler didn't have a rod in that particular location), and the only noise I get is, like I said, on cold start-up and is ever-so-slight near where the flex on my headers gets really close to the x-member... I'm using one clamp on the driver's side rear muffler hanger so I could move it about 1/4" closer to that side, other than that, just straight hangers...

Last edited by Mad-MAX_SE; 12-08-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 AM

I only have banging on hard rights, then again, i only replaced like one hanger, I'm going to replace the big one by the resonator to see if that helps at all.

Oh and the reason why I replaced my stock hanger was because the muffler tip was hanging to the left with the stock hangers, so I replaced one on the right and viola! it sits in the middle!

But why would my stock catback sit in the middle then all of suddenly w/ the 3" hang to the left? Dunno, could be one of the many wonders of Nissan's body work....

Also with OBX 3.5 headers I think the exhaust pokes out further now (almost flush, compared to the tucked look it had before), but the catback isn't really bolted up properly now so I'm gonna shut my mouth until i get my car back.

Last edited by aackshun; 12-08-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Black Lion

Im getting vibration (I wouldn't say banging) when Im around 2500 rpm, when Im above that, the vibration goes away. I used all new hangers with the hose clamps Brian mentioned. Im thinking If I bend the heat shield up, above the muffler flange, this will fix the vibration issue.

My tip sits right in the middle of the cutout and flush with the bumper as you guys all know. I should be getting the flanges to extend the tip about 3/4" soon. I'll post some before and after pics. When I install the flanges I'll bend the heat shield and adjust the hose clamps. I'll let you guys know how I made out when Im done.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:30 PM

sounds nice
Old 12-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
I only have banging on hard rights, then again, i only replaced like one hanger, I'm going to replace the big one by the resonator to see if that helps at all.

Oh and the reason why I replaced my stock hanger was because the muffler tip was hanging to the left with the stock hangers, so I replaced one on the right and viola! it sits in the middle!

But why would my stock catback sit in the middle then all of suddenly w/ the 3" hang to the left? Dunno, could be one of the many wonders of Nissan's body work....

Also with OBX 3.5 headers I think the exhaust pokes out further now (almost flush, compared to the tucked look it had before), but the catback isn't really bolted up properly now so I'm gonna shut my mouth until i get my car back.
That's why I have mine setup like this, cause on hard (High G) right hand turns the catback hanger stud bangs into the floor (near the hump corner). This set up limits the side to side movement and the stud sliding thru the hanger mount and into the floor:

Old 12-08-2010, 06:14 PM

That's why I have mine setup like this, cause on hard (High G) right hand turns the catback hanger stud bangs into the floor (near the hump corner). This set up limits the side to side movement and the stud sliding thru the hanger mount and into the floor:
I'll give you a call, about this...

Also I do too have a "drone" or "vibration" around 2500 and 5k (only on decelleration, and acceleration, if I hold it steady at those rpms it's not there), I thought it was just sound resonance instead of something actual physical contact, because if it was from actual contact wouldn't it happen all of the time?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Black Lion

I'll give you a call, about this...

Also I do too have a "drone" or "vibration" around 2500 and 5k (only on decelleration, and acceleration, if I hold it steady at those rpms it's not there), I thought it was just sound resonance instead of something actual physical contact, because if it was from actual contact wouldn't it happen all of the time?
Sounds logical, but I feel the vibration in the gear shifter and in the seats.. Im thinking the exhaust have to be making contact somewhere. I'll start with the muffler flange near the heat shield.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 PM

Mine just is in the back of the car, i just get this wierd "feeling" around those rpms, and I put on some "jingle bells" on my rv-mirror and they do some real ringing around those rpms, so the body is vibrating but really low and minor.

btw, just ran w/ open down pipe, felt vibration from 550-6550rpms lol.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:23 PM

Loose heatshields dancing to the new tone.......call me!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:37 PM

Okey dokey, exhaust all bolted up and such. One word can come in the ball park to describing it....

A W E S O M E ! 1 1 ! ! !

I finally have that VQ sound which converted me to the Nissan side of the force.

Full review up on Monday (which is when I plan on Dynoing as of now) on my blog with all of the videos and details of what went down to get my car to this point.

Last edited by aackshun; 12-09-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:33 PM

Mine bangs on hard left turns or driving through a little gutter or bumpy intersection on left turns...
Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I'm almost afraid to mention this around you guys who have already purchased, but I'll point out that our "Deal of the Day" today (part of our Holiday sale in the max.org group deal subforum) is our 3" catback for the 4th gen.

"Deal of the Day" price is only $689, but that's only good until we close at 5pm MST today. If you've been sitting on the fence, move now.

And since I know the question will come up, I'll answer it - the deal is only good today, not yesterday, not last month, not tomorrow, not next month.

As always, we take orders by phone at 800.759.9920 (US) or 888.296.5153 (Canada and AZ), open 9-5 MST, M-F.

Brian
Old 12-10-2010, 01:08 AM

Buy it!! and then get you some equal length headers!! You'll very soon know where your money went!!

And I'm talking to those USIM VQ30DE guys!! Its worth it!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 AM

glad to see u guys loving the install
Old 12-15-2010, 06:31 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
I am going to attempt this with my 2.5" mandrel bent LSS/Remus catback.

Installing the EU and tuning along with doing a couple of runs with the 2.5" catback and then throwing on the Cattman 3" to see what it changes. This is on a VQ30DEK swap with most of the bolt ons. I wasn't going to go with a 3" exhaust until I built up my motor but this group deal came up and I went for it. This along with all the other stuff I've done over the years will now give me a good foundation for the built motor.

Also I will take video of before and after from behind the car to get a good comparison of the sound differences. If I could get my hands on a dB meter I would like to record the change in sound as well.

This would not be for any 4th gen unless it was heavily modded or planning to be heavily modifed. There are plenty of cheaper 2.5" options available out there for the 97% of guys with mild A32 setups.
Are you still considering to do the dyno comparisons of the 2.5 vs. the 3"?

Not a dyno, but I recorded some 1st and 2nd gear pulls with my EU on my old catback and I will record some 1st and 2nd gear pulls with the 3" catback sometime tomorrow and then compare the times.
Did you every do the comparisons, if so results?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Are you still considering to do the dyno comparisons of the 2.5 vs. the 3"
Yes, but it will have to wait until sometime next year. My job gets busy in the Winter until the early Summer. Also the car is put away for the Winter and I want to get the EU working and tuned before hand with the 2.5" catback. Then test everything in one afternoon or go back a day or two later with the 3" exhaust.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Boosted Panda

Yes, but it will have to wait until sometime next year. My job gets busy in the Winter until the early Summer. Also the car is put away for the Winter and I want to get the EU working and tuned before hand with the 2.5" catback. Then test everything in one afternoon or go back a day or two later with the 3" exhaust.
Ah, ok Im really curious to see the results of the comparisons between the two so I will look out for you post.
What is your power plant, the 3.0 or 3.5?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Ah, ok Im really curious to see the results of the comparisons between the two so I will look out for you post.
What is your power plant, the 3.0 or 3.5?
VQ30DEK with most of the bolt ons and stock DEK cams. Looking to crack 230 WHP or more.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Boosted Panda

VQ30DEK with most of the bolt ons and stock DEK cams. Looking to crack 230 WHP or more.
Wow, that would be pretty impressive. That would be the highest HP Ive seen come from a NA 3.0
230+ is around what some of the moderately tuned 3.5 guys are making.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Wow, that would be pretty impressive. That would be the highest HP Ive seen come from a NA 3.0
Dandymax had the highest VQ30 #s I've seen on this forum. With OEM cams and then with the VQ35 JWT knockoff cams with some head work. My setup is very similar to his except I have stock DEK cams and no headwork or internal work.

Last dyno session I got 222 WHP at the stock 6600 RPM redline. I am looking to go MAFless, 3" catback, fully wrapped cattman headers, port matched exhaust gaskets, lighter wheel/tire combo, EU tuning, and rev out to 7200 RPM. Stock 5 speed 4th gens put about 160 WHP / 180 WTQ on the Dynojet I use, so I feel my results are a realistic number. I will also hit up the 1/4 mile once my suspension and alignment are squared away to see what the car traps at to confirm the WHP numbers.

Last edited by 98SEBlackMax; 12-15-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Eh? Stock 3.5's make 220....

Well atleast that's what they make here on a dynojet.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Boosted Panda

Dandymax had the highest VQ30 #s I've seen on this forum. With OEM cams and then with the VQ35 JWT knockoff cams with some head work. My setup is very similar to his except I have stock DEK cams and no headwork or internal work.

Last dyno session I got 222 WHP at the stock 6600 RPM redline. I am looking to go MAFless, 3" catback, fully wrapped cattman headers, port matched exhaust gaskets, lighter wheel/tire combo, EU tuning, and rev out to 7200 RPM. Stock 5 speed 4th gens put about 160 WHP / 180 WTQ on the Dynojet I use, so I feel my results are a realistic number. I will also hit up the 1/4 mile once my suspension and alignment are squared away to see what the car traps at to confirm the WHP numbers.
Very impressive numbers, 222whp is d@mn good.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Boosted Panda

Really? From what Ive seen some mildly modded with some increased timing make anywhere from 220-235whp.
Of course those with a good tune and more mods will make more.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Well at least that's what they make here on a dynojet.
My buddy dynoed his stock '02 6 spd and got 205 WHP / 220 WTQ on the same dyno I use. Again I have not been to a 1/4 mile track in years to verify nor am I that good at launching my car. The best run I had was a 2.3 60' and 14.2 @ 98 MPH IIRC and that was in the summer of '06.

If I can get all the mods done next year and get a decent 60 foot launch the car with 230 WHP should see mid~high 13s on street tires with full interior.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 PM

We're so off topic, but a vq35 hybrid swapped AE here made 220whp/230ft/lbs, everything else was stock except for a welded 2.5" catback and short ram intake... and I doubt those two mods are worth 15whp....

Hrmm in afterthought he is on stock 3.0 fed spec headers (meaning no BIG front precat), maybe those 3 mods could be worth 15whp.....
Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 PM

My stock 03 A/T made 203wph/219wtq....6MT were somewhere around 210whp from what I remember!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:35 PM

My stock 03 A/T made 203wph/219wtq....6MT were somewhere around 210whp from what I remember!
This sounds better.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

We're so off topic, but a vq35 hybrid swapped AE here made 220whp/230ft/lbs, everything else was stock except for a welded 2.5" catback and short ram intake... and I doubt those two mods are worth 15whp....

Hrmm in afterthought he is on stock 3.0 fed spec headers (meaning no BIG front precat), maybe those 3 mods could be worth 15whp.....
Meh, off topic stuff happens.

The more people see this thread popping up the more likely someone is to try the 3" catback and dyno or do some other tests to determine if its worth it on an N/A setup.

Fed spec 3.0 headers can make an improvement in power. My same friend blew his VQ35 motor and I swapped in a fresh 6th gen engine with my old '96 OEM headers and an OBX Y-pipe. The car's exhaust sounds like **** but it definitely made a bit more power.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 PM

Meh, off topic stuff happens.

The more people see this thread popping up the more likely someone is to try the 3" catback and dyno or do some other tests to determine if its worth it on an N/A setup.

Fed spec 3.0 headers can make an improvement in power. My same friend blew his VQ35 motor and I swapped in a fresh 6th gen engine with my old '96 OEM headers and an OBX Y-pipe. The car's exhaust sounds like **** but it definitely made a bit more power.
Again, aftermarket Y-pipe... He's still on the stock godawful y-pipe.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest in a 3" exhaust from Cattman