4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is it worth it to keep my car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 PM

Is it worth it to keep my car?

Ok, so i bought my max with 125xxx miles on it for something like $1500. It's a 95 SE. Well, took it in to the mechanic today to get it checked out and found out he recommends fixing the power steering pump, water pump, radiator, and timing belt. I don't know if this means fixing what's there, or full replacement. He said he would draw up an estimate by tomorrow. So then: what do you guys think is a fair price for all this work OR do you think it's worth it to have all this done? I found a water pump replacement tutorial on VQPower, anybody think any of this other stuff is user-repairable and if so know of any links/tutorials? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:30 PM

I don't know if i'd trust the guy if he's telling you it has a timing belt . I've seen those parts last alot longer than 125k miles, why did you take it to him in the first place (symptoms)? But there are writeups on all of that stuff on here if you wanted to do it all yourself.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:48 PM

Ha yeah isn't it a timing chain or w/e? That's just what he emailed me...anyways took it in to get a few things looked over--hadn't given it a good check since buying it either. Previous owner said it overheated on him once-this has never happened to me but i wanted to make sure it was safe to drive long distances. Sometimes the left front squeaks, and it also squeals when starting sometimes. So i told him just give everything a look over and let me know what you find then i'll decide what to fix.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by aterfy27
Ha yeah isn't it a timing chain or w/e? That's just what he emailed me...anyways took it in to get a few things looked over--hadn't given it a good check since buying it either. Previous owner said it overheated on him once-this has never happened to me but i wanted to make sure it was safe to drive long distances. Sometimes the left front squeaks, and it also squeals when starting sometimes. So i told him just give everything a look over and let me know what you find then i'll decide what to fix.
The timing belt on your 4th gen should have been replaced years ago.

On the factory floor, when they installed a timing chain.

Usually I feel that when the mechanic gives you a price quote for replacing a part that your car doesn't have, it's time for a new mechanic.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:02 PM

sorry i said that wrong. my pops talked to the mechanic, and then emailed me what he said. more than likely, dad just typed it wrong.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:22 PM

the belt squealing is more than likely your AC/Alt belt. It's like a $10 part. here's a how to video on that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJzpTHIky18
and you might as well change the power steering belt while you're at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8c1e...eature=related
the timing chain or tensioner shouldn't have to be replaced, you'd hear it rattling.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Mechanic said belts were new...they just weren't tensioned enough...
Anyways this guy says he wouldn't do the water pump and he doesn't know anyone around here who does either, apparently they are a real pain to work on and plus you usually don't get them installed right. Essentially said it was more trouble than it's worth. So i donno how i feel about that. He said he would put some sealant stuff on it which he says works for most people for a a good time and that it would probably be more cost effective...hmm
Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 AM

If a woodchuck tells you get a timing belt, just sigh and leave because he don't know enough about a max to touch it
Old 08-06-2010, 09:03 AM

water pump/ Radiator

Anyways this guy says he wouldn't do the water pump and he doesn't know anyone around here who does either, apparently they are a real pain to work on and plus you usually don't get them installed right. Essentially said it was more trouble than it's worth. So i donno how i feel about that. He said he would put some sealant stuff on it which he says works for most people for a a good time and that it would probably be more cost effective...hmm
125k max for $1,500 is a pretty good find, I got mine for $2,500 and Had some of the same problems, my car never overheated though, but my radiator cracked D: My water pump was leaking a whole bunch and I had no clue how to seal it up, so I took it to my mechanic and he did a decent job, other than when he broke my tensioner pulley. I haven't had any problems with the water pump yet, and its been almost 10k miles since. This is the only thing that I've taken my car to my mechanic for and I've done many repairs on my car You should be able to do the radiator job by yourself, not too hard, I did my brothers radiator on his max in the snow after it busted while he was driving. While you're at it replace the hoses for the radiator, the Thermostat and gasket for the thermostat. Hope this helped with your decision.
Cheers.

Last edited by Schulte; 08-06-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:22 AM

Ok ok, im not gonna flame. Even tho i really shd cuz ANYONE who calls themself a mechanic SHOULD be able to change a water pump on a car that is as popular as a 4th gen.

That being sd, If the car is not losing coolant and not overheating then why are u replacing the water pump anyways. The 4th gen maxima uses a timing chain. Under normal conditions, you should not have to service the chain for the life of the car. Period.

Honestly, it sounds like the guy tryin to play u. Im not there so i really cant say. But thats what it sounds like to me.

Nothing on a car is really "hard" it jus time consuming. If u have the guts, mechanical skills, and time then jus do the repairs yurself.

Lets get this thread headed back in the right direction.

What are the problems/symptoms u experiencing with the car?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM

I agree w/most of what fellow members have said and all of what you said that might need to be replaced is done by members here all the time. I've done Water Pumps on 4th/3rd generation Maxima's and in my driveway not on a lift. You only paid 1500.00 so investing a little more dough is worth it if needed, especially if done yourself. Even if you don't have any automotive training there is still many things you can do yourself. Buy a repair manual for your Max, I prefer Haynes myself and use members here cause they know everything about there Max's combined together. You can google much info and ask questions if your not sure, like you've just done in this thread.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 PM

Yeah i do need to get me one of those Haynes manuals. So here's some new stuff to throw at you guys:

cashoit: I'm not entirely sure if the water pump is leaking or not. We took it in to get checked out because some folks had told us a bad (or going bad) water pump can cause a squeal upon start up...which had been happening... One day i found a sort of greenish fluid under the car. To be honest i forgot to look up what this was and the mechanic said something about it but i don't remember what it said. All in all, he's going to put this sealant stuff on the water pump and said he would only charge parts cost.

Now, today's news: The bill for replacing the radiator will be $282. I'm going to have that one done. I had the rear brakes done by a different shop probably two months ago. I actually haven't noticed a big issue with brakes since then (other than broken parking brake, but that's another story.) But mech has recommended we go ahead and replace front brakes too, that would be approx. $195. There had been a squeak coming from left front tire which Mech. noticed too, says this is probably a strut going out. So we will probably need to do the suspension soon. And she needs new tires, bad. So we asked him if he thought all this stuff was worth it. He pretty much said if engine and transmission were going strong then it was probably worth it, which i agree with (engine and tranny are doing fine as far as i'm concerned) so that's where were at right now.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:37 PM

Yeah i do need to get me one of those Haynes manuals. So here's some new stuff to throw at you guys:

cashoit: I'm not entirely sure if the water pump is leaking or not. We took it in to get checked out because some folks had told us a bad (or going bad) water pump can cause a squeal upon start up...which had been happening... One day i found a sort of greenish fluid under the car. To be honest i forgot to look up what this was and the mechanic said something about it but i don't remember what it said. All in all, he's going to put this sealant stuff on the water pump and said he would only charge parts cost.

Now, today's news: The bill for replacing the radiator will be $282. I'm going to have that one done. I had the rear brakes done by a different shop probably two months ago. I actually haven't noticed a big issue with brakes since then (other than broken parking brake, but that's another story.) But mech has recommended we go ahead and replace front brakes too, that would be approx. $195. There had been a squeak coming from left front tire which Mech. noticed too, says this is probably a strut going out. So we will probably need to do the suspension soon. And she needs new tires, bad. So we asked him if he thought all this stuff was worth it. He pretty much said if engine and transmission were going strong then it was probably worth it, which i agree with (engine and tranny are doing fine as far as i'm concerned) so that's where were at right now.
the water pump runs off of the timing chain, it's impossible for it to cause a squeal. i don't know why he would put sealant on the water pump, that's just asking for more problems down the road, it's possible just one of the o-rings that have gone bad. honestly man, it just sounds like to me he's trying to rip you off, half of the stuff he's saying go ahead and replace doesn't sound like it NEEDS to be replaced. and you could save yourself a ton by just doing these yourself. if you don't have any tools or the know how, i'm sure there are some members around illinois that can help you out. anybody?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Yeah man, i know what you are saying, but the problem is i'm only 19 and have been doing an internship this summer so i don't have much money to spare so generally my dad handles the repairs and stuff. I'd me down with having other folks do my work for me, or show me how, whatever, but my pops is pretty much the kind of guy who wants to take it to a shop. I live in a relatively small town so not too many shops around...since the car's japanese dad wants a foreign/import shop and we only have two, and the other is real sketchy, so he picked this one and is probably sticking with it for the time being. Know what i mean? But i donno. The mechanic still sounds pretty cool to me. Maybe i am just too trusting, haha. He has pretty much said we'll get the essential stuff out of the way first and see how it goes for a while. So...we'll wait and see...
Old 08-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
The timing belt on your 4th gen should have been replaced years ago.

On the factory floor, when they installed a timing chain.

Usually I feel that when the mechanic gives you a price quote for replacing a part that your car doesn't have, it's time for a new mechanic.

I always ask customer if they have changed their blinker fluid just to see what they say..... And lots of them fall for it,,
Old 08-07-2010, 06:53 PM

Read this in regards to the water pump. http://www.vqpower.com/v2/articles.php?article_id=68

Trust me, he's not going to "just put sealer on" in any way that will be beneficial.
The WP is inside of your timing cover and has two O-rings to seal first into the rear timing cover, and then the block. You cant even see the WP without pulling the access plate off, and then you'd have to pull the WP to use sealer-might as well replace the pump then. Are you even leaking coolant, because if this is "preventative" then tell him no.
Ive worked for a lot of hacks, and I've started working places after all the druggies were fired just to fix the crap that they "fixed" already. I dont put much stock in a lot of "pros", and it sounds like you have a hack looking at your car.

IF HE'S TALKING ABOUT SEALING UP THE WEEP HOLE, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Last edited by asand1; 08-07-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:15 PM

maybe he meant sealing the o-ring cover or whatever it was you have to take off to get to it? i donno for sure.
what's a weep hole?
Old 08-07-2010, 07:48 PM

maybe he meant sealing the o-ring cover or whatever it was you have to take off to get to it? i donno for sure.
what's a weep hole?
A weep hole is cast or drilled into the body of the pump at the bearing cavity. when the inner bearing fails, the inner seal will start to leak and you will get a visual leak, indicating that you have trouble.

The inspection cover bolts to the timing cover and keeps oil in the timing cover. Im afraid your mech is not familiar with Maximas, and what he wants to do is just not possible.

This is the timing cover with access cover circled.

This is cover removed with pump circled.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:54 PM

Do you think that green fluid i mentioned could be a coolant leak? I know previous owner said car overheated once, got it repaired or something and it never happened to him again. It's never overheated since i've been driving it either, probably 4 months or so.

So let me throw another suggestion you guy's way. I know there's a thread on this somewhere but might as well ask while this is here. I need new tires. Not looking to spend a ton, but not wanting junk either. Consumer Reports rated Michelin Primacy's as best performance all season tires. Any good?