4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I just installed my new auto trans.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 PM

I just installed my new auto trans.

Hi, everyone I just finished installing my brand new trans in 15 hrs and I am a first timer. I had the old trans out and I saw a leak at the crankshaft,So I replaced the crankshaft seal and torqued the flywheel down. I had to hurry and I put the trans back on and put everything back together,but I have one question here I forgot to put the fluid in the TQ converter, so I had put everything back on together so I could of not pull it back out because I was being rushed. So I doughted this mistake alot, I started adding fluid threw the dipstick I dumped in about 8-11QTS. I was relizing the fuid fllow was slowing down and the fluid just started to spill everywhere, so I just started the car and the fluid went in and the car burped and I started changing gears so the fluid can circulate. I turned the car off and added about 5 more QRTS of fluid. I drove the car and the car was driving fine and all the gears are working (T.G) I have been driving It back and forth from work and I am keeping an eye on the level since I had the tranny in. I called Nissan and asked them if, I forgot to add the fluid in the TQ should I take the tranny apart they said no, " You can add the fluid in the dipstick in the Park position to fill up the TQ converter. I have a question here I had 16qrts and I added about 8-10 quarts and the over fill happended. I am wondering do I still have to take the tranny apart to fill the TQ converter up or I can just fill up the TQ converter from the dipstick. Please guys this a new trans I don't want to blow up thanks.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:12 PM

*cringe* Please, please for the love of god create separate sentences... And use spaces between points.

Anyways, from what I know the torque converter is a sealed unit. You don't ever need to add fluid to a torque converter.

The car should take 10 quarts of fluid. (~10L). When the transmission was dry what happened was it wasn't going down fast enough. So it overfilled.

When you started the car the fluid filled the spaces in the transmission that it could not get into. As long as the level on the dip stick is withing proper range you should be fine.

Last edited by silencecalls; 03-03-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by silencecalls
*cringe* Please, please for the love of god create separate sentences... And use spaces between points.

Anyways, from what I know the torque converter is a sealed unit. You don't ever need to add fluid to a torque converter.

The car should take 10 quarts of fluid. (~10L). When the transmission was dry what happened was it wasn't going down fast enough. So it overfilled.

When you started the car the fluid filled the spaces in the transmission that it could not get into. As long as the level on the dip stick is withing proper range you should be fine.
I am too worried about my new trans then being worried about my sentences. I am at a perfect level on my dipstick and I did add the fluid through the dipstick, the fluid was flowing down fine right untill I hit the 8th-10th bottle of fluid, than It over filled than I started my car up and then I added 5 more qrts of fluid. If the converter is a sealed unit than that means the manufacuter fills it up for us and it's ready to be installed ?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
I am too worried about my new trans then being worried about my sentences. I am at a perfect level on my dipstick and I did add the fluid through the dipstick, the fluid was flowing down fine right untill I hit the 8th-10th bottle of fluid, than It over filled than I started my car up and then I added 5 more qrts of fluid. If the converter is a sealed unit than that means the manufacuter fills it up for us and it's ready to be installed ?
i think ur fine however u had a open door to do a 5 speed swap
Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 PM

I do that on accident sometimes but youre right!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 PM

Negative ghost rider.
The TC relies on transmission fluid from the tranny for lubrication,as well tranfer of energy between the turbine and the impellar to the stator.

Any harm that could have occurred, already happened at start up. Fluid was pumped into the TC as soon as the engine started. Just keep driving it and checking the fluid. You'll be fine.

Did you clean all the old fluid from your tranny cooler and lines?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 PM

Boss, if I were you, I would monitor the fluid everyday because to me it seems like it was way overfilled. I took out my tranny to replace RMS and drained out everything from tranny and TC. I used no more than 10 quarts.. From your OP, 13 to 15 sounds like overkill.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Negative ghost rider.
The TC relies on transmission fluid from the tranny for lubrication,as well tranfer of energy between the turbine and the impellar to the stator.

Any harm that could have occurred, already happened at start up. Fluid was pumped into the TC as soon as the engine started. Just keep driving it and checking the fluid. You'll be fine.

you are right didnt catch that statement when i first read the post i have done numerable tranny swaps and i always fill tc pryer to install but i dont think and harm was done and i always flush the trans cooler an lines with this stuff thats called cooler kleen or something to that effect
Old 03-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

In all of the automatics I have installed, 727 torkflites, back in my Mopar days. Here is the trick. Fill the trans thru the dipstick. Start the car, go thru each gear holding the brakes on, rev the engine to about 1500 rpm's or so, don't try to hurt anything, even do reverse.

Stop the engine and check the level, slowly adding fluid until you get close to the fill mark. slowly add more with the engine running in neutral until you get to the recommended fill level on the stick. All of the air should now be out and you should not see any bubbles on the dipstick.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Negative ghost rider.

Thanks for the quick replies from everyone, yes I did clean out the cooler lines and I used parts cleaner and water and I also used the air gun to dry out the cooler lines. I have the fluid checking in at the mesh/hot line like it's supposed to. The reason I added so much becuase there was a thread here for an auto trans that required a total of 16qrts,10qrts for the TC and 5qrts for the VB.

it beats me.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:55 PM

Well, learned something new here I did. =)

I can't imagine that having a little too little fluid will harm anything if it was just a start up. Now if you had RAN it with very low fluid for a while then there would be trouble. And by low I mean about 50%.

The transmission will run with 70%-80% for a long time. (mine ran for a month before I replaced it) So it looks like there shouldn't be any problem.