4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Looking for Advice, Starter Motor/Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:48 PM

Looking for Advice, Starter Motor/Solenoid

I have noticed lately that intermitantly when I try to crank over the ignition all I get is a click.

I have a good battery, (has been checked) and I have a good alternator (has been checked). At the time I noticed that the negative terminal was loose. Meaning I could move it visibly with my hand. The terminal was shot. I couldn't tighten it anymore. Got a simple universal terminal and it too now seats very snug.

After this was done I will admit that the number of times it fails has gone down but it still does fail to start. After several tries it cranks right up practically instantaneously. These are the same symptoms that happened the last time I replaced my Starter motor and solenoid. Now to the question:

I'm trying to save as much money as I can because I can't keep feeding money into this car through mechanics. I have one of the maintenance manuals. I know where it is on the motor. Would you more experienced guys on the Org think if I were to get a solenoid off of Rockauto.com for around 40-50 bucks and replace that part first, if that would be worth the hour or two on a weekend. And if that is not it, and i have to order the motor part too for around 120 or so, if that still an easy enough install rather than pay the 300-400 dollars for it all together at a shop?

Also one more thing... does it even sound like its the solenoid or motor? Thanks for any feedback.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:30 PM

its the solenoid going bad which will end up dying on you, and if you know where it is then replacement it pretty straightforward(no need to pay a mechanic if you have a ratchet set(plus you have a maintenance manual im assuming chilton/haynes/FSM). most would recommend replacing the entire starter but since money seems to be your issue you can go for just the solenoid replacement.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou55
its the solenoid going bad which will end up dying on you, and if you know where it is then replacement it pretty straightforward(no need to pay a mechanic if you have a ratchet set(plus you have a maintenance manual im assuming chilton/haynes/FSM). most would recommend replacing the entire starter but since money seems to be your issue you can go for just the solenoid replacement.

It shouldn't be a major problem other than just double work if a little bit down the line, say a month or two to get the extra funds shifted around, to replace the motor after? Like right now, new solenoid, OLD motor. Then a few months, take off newer solenoid and install on new motor.

If this is still somewhat mechanically sound I can over a little bit of time replace the whole piece.