4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

This is going to make me sound stupid..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 AM

This is going to make me sound stupid..

So Ive got a new serpentine belt, tensioner pully and alternator and everytime I start my car the bet still sequels. I have no idea why maybe I need to lossen the tensioner maybe? Any help is much appreciated!!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by skarface08
So Ive got a new serpentine belt, tensioner pully and alternator and everytime I start my car the bet still sequels. I have no idea why maybe I need to lossen the tensioner maybe? Any help is much appreciated!!
How much slack is in the belt?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:39 AM

I always usually tighten it by guessing is there a more accurate way to tell?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes.

Look in the FSM, in the general maintenance section. There is a diagram of the belt system that lists the deflection and where it's measured.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 AM

How far can you push down on the belt? More than a half inch? If so, then it's too loose.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 AM

I'm speaking from experience and I have two stories about belts. I had a 90 honda accord and I had a belt problem as soon as I changed my alternator and belt. Been to several mechanics and tried everything and the belt still squeeled.I got OEM,smaller,tightened to the max and nothing work.Turns out the squeel was coming from the AC compressor.I didn't have AC so I by-passed it by using a shorter belt.Problem fixed.

I installed a light weight pulley and the noise started as soon as I turned the ignition.I had to go three belt sizes smaller from the one recommend to solve my problem.So try not to over tighten the belt,try using a smaller belt so that you don't over tighten it

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 03-03-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
I installed a light weight pulley and the noise started as soon as I turned the ignition.I had to go three belt sizes smaller from the one recommend to solve my problem.So try not to over tighten the belt,try going smaller so the it's not maxed out.
There is absolutely NO reason to get a smaller sized belt unless you are running different size pulleys or bypassing the a/c compressor.

This isn't an astrophysics problem. The solution is very simple...you just need to be a better diagnostician. With a little experience, you'll notice that these cars are a piece of cake.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by beegeezy
There is absolutely NO reason to get a smaller sized belt unless you are running different size pulleys or bypassing the a/c compressor.

This isn't an astrophysics problem. The solution is very simple...you just need to be a better diagnostician. With a little experience, you'll notice that these cars are a piece of cake.
Dude relax.I'm not a mechanic nor do I know a lot about maxima's.I was simply sharing a previous experience.He did say he changed his pulley so that could be the reason why he's getting the squeal.Some of you all take this too serious.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:29 AM

The belts squeal when the slip on the metal pulleys, id assume your belt is still a little loose.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Dude relax.I'm not a mechanic nor do I know a lot about maxima's.I was simply sharing a previous experience.He did say he changed his pulley so that could be the reason why he's getting the squeal.Some of you all take this too serious.
Well, if you don't know what you're talking about why would you recommend something? I understand you were just trying to help...but there is so much bad info on this site that it can be really hard for newbies to learn anything.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:41 AM

ALthough I agree that the FSM with the deflection figures is a good way to do it, I don't know about you but its hard to measure EXACT deflection down there. Squealing already tells you what the problem is, your belts slipping so you obviously have it too loose. Tighten it up to factory specs and see if it stops. It should GL
Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
ALthough I agree that the FSM with the deflection figures is a good way to do it, I don't know about you but its hard to measure EXACT deflection down there. Squealing already tells you what the problem is, your belts slipping so you obviously have it too loose. Tighten it up to factory specs and see if it stops. It should GL
True.

BTW, it isn't THAT hard to measure the deflection with a small ruler. (using metric, because it IS hard to read the small differences in inches)
Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 AM

I think your fairly lucky if you can put a new belt on without problems lol its not easy like some think it is
Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM

thanks guys! my ac compressor works fine i dont think its coming from there. Im going to try and tighten the belt this afternoon.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:59 PM

Its easy to tighten, hard to get it right though. Get a flashlight and something you can measure the deflection with that is easy to read and accurate
Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by beegeezy
Well, if you don't know what you're talking about why would you recommend something? I understand you were just trying to help...but there is so much bad info on this site that it can be really hard for newbies to learn anything.
I gave two points,one being if it's tightened to the fullest you might want to try a smaller belt,because like me I went to several mechanics to have it checked and it turned out to be the AC compressor.

I gave the 2 experiences for him to consider,not do it.We can't be both right bacause we gave two different opinions.Isn't that the reason for the org in the first place?I'm just saying "if it's tightened to the max" like mine was you might want to "try a smaller" belt.Good luck on the fix though
Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
I think your fairly lucky if you can put a new belt on without problems lol its not easy like some think it is
wtf are you honestly talking about?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

To put this thread back on topic...
1) there are 2 belts on the car, have you diagnosed with one is actually causing the squeal?
2) make sure they are snug.
3) if the noise is still there, remove the belts and rotate the pullys by hand. You might have a tight or failing bearing on one of the belt driven components.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:28 PM

I'd like to add another thing to njmaxseltd's list of things to check.

With the engine running, look at the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft. If it looks like it is wobbling, it needs to be replaced.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:02 PM

I gave two points,one being if it's tightened to the fullest you might want to try a smaller belt,because like me I went to several mechanics to have it checked and it turned out to be the AC compressor.

I gave the 2 experiences for him to consider,not do it.We can't be both right bacause we gave two different opinions.Isn't that the reason for the org in the first place?I'm just saying "if it's tightened to the max" like mine was you might want to "try a smaller" belt.Good luck on the fix though
what smaller? do you mean shorter? i'd side with the other guy though. don't give out advices that you are unsure of. there is no reason to go with a shorter (smaller) belt on a stock car if everything is working properly.

njmaxseltd and DennisMik are giving out some good advices there.