4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Turning issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Turning issues

I’m currently building a canyon car out of my 4th gen and I’ve come across a problem when each time I take a left corner my car begins to misfire or die while turning and tends to backfire. up until my turning radius is straight. I did a 00vi swap(3.5 intake, fuel rail, injections, fuel pump and maf(used)) with in my 3rd month of owning the car and since shes ran a bit rich and back fires sometimes, witch is common.. (I think) But recently I lowered the hell outt of the car And that’s when I ran into this issue. The car began to backfire like crazy while turning and seems to want to die out until straight . I later then realized my tire burned into 1 of the wires in the wiring harnesses so I got it extended and tucked up the fender But the problem was never solved. I’m not sure if it’s because it needs an alignment.. or maybe I’ve been running her too hard in the canyons untuned.. I’m not sure. If anyone has feedback with this experience, please let me know!!!
Old 01-08-2021, 12:01 PM
JvG

Is your gas tank nearly empty?

does the problem go away when the tamk is half full?

​​​liquid gasoline ​​in the tank will slosh to one side when the car is driven in twisty canyons at high speed.

the fuel pickup tube will be sucking air at that point.

you say the problem happens during left turns.
I'm guessing that you don't have a problem while driving straight or when turning right.

fill your gas tank. Your problem might go away.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I’ve tried that already and usually go up with half a tank or more but it still seems to want to die at low speed too! (Only with left turns)

Originally Posted by JvG

​​​liquid gasoline ​​in the tank will slosh to one side when the car is driven in twisty canyons at high speed.

I'm guessing that you don't have a problem while driving straight or when turning right.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JvG

i usually go up with half a tank or more so I don’t kill the fuel pump so fast it 1once I pushed my car to the limit am drove her all the way to the top on 1/4 of a tank and went up/down on a empty tank. But even so she still wants to die on me while turning left at low speed or high.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:00 PM

Did you crush P/S tubes when you swapped the engine? Could your P/S pump be about to seize up?
Old 01-09-2021, 12:52 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by KP11520
Did you crush P/S tubes when you swapped the engine? Could your P/S pump be about to seize up?
His problem occurs if the car is turned in one direction.

I would agree with your theory if the engine slowed down if the car was turned in either direction, and especially when idling.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
His problem occurs if the car is turned in one direction.

I would agree with your theory if the engine slowed down if the car was turned in either direction, and especially when idling.

You know one way of turning is easier on the P/S pump than the other? And if it's failing, it can exacerbate that dynamic. One day the belt will snap and made obvious. He could remove the belt to confirm. yes turning would be harder, but if the engine runs normally.... DONE!

Hope all is well with you! Say hey to Bigfoot on Card Night! LOL
Old 01-09-2021, 05:17 PM

PS pressure switch may signal PCM to reduce engine RPMs because the PS line pressure is too high. And this is causing the engine to sputter. Put car on stands so the two front wheels are off the ground. Run engine and turn wheels.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:55 PM
JvG

Saig and KP.....

Thanks for your information. I've never known that power steering can fail directionally.

I did not know that power steering units such as in our cars communicate with the ecu

I learned about cars 50 years ago.
Purely mechanical beasts.
Power steering had no computer to chat with.
Yet the cars drove just fine.

The 1960s snd 70s Chrisler cars had excellent power steering. The car could be parked with one finger. No road feel at all.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:36 AM

Sounds like either your P/s system is clogged or the idle is being compensated for....