4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

damn coils P1320

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 PM

damn coils P1320

SO I got a bunch of codes
P0325
P1320
P0135

and I want to focus on P1320 but since theres no code that shows which cylinder is misfiring, is it safe to buy 6 coils off ebay?

any experience with these, seems awfully cheap http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-Nissan...3827b9&vxp=mtr

also plan to swap out the knock sensor with ebay one
Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM

never buy coils off ebay!!!!!!! trust me, get nissan oem coils.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 PM

ah okay

but I don't know which side to buy since theres no code for the right cylinder
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 PM

This is what i would do. Buy one coil and go through each cylinder until the miss goes away. If u dont want to wait that long just buy all six at once.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:18 AM

OEM coils or bust. 99% of non-OEM coils will trigger a P1320 code
Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 AM

Buy the E-bay coils. Every six months you'll be building up your skills when you replace them.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Buy the E-bay coils. Every six months you'll be building up your skills when you replace them.
This isnt Skyrim......lol
Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Every 6 months sounds like a vacation. When I installed ebay coils 3 years ago they blew within 2 weeks.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get OEM used coils for like $30 each....car-part.com
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Get OEM used coils for like $30 each....car-part.com
Shameless plug here. I have 5 OEM and one after market coil pack for sale for CHEAP!!
Check my thread.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Shameless plug here. I have 5 OEM and one after market coil pack for sale for CHEAP!!
Check my thread.
could you link the thread? Definitely interested thx
Old 02-16-2013, 05:05 AM

It's in the 4th gen classified forum

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...arts-sale.html
Old 02-17-2013, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by gladiator
SO I got a bunch of codes
P0325
P1320
P0135

and I want to focus on P1320 but since theres no code that shows which cylinder is misfiring, is it safe to buy 6 coils off ebay?
I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this, but the 1320 might not be your coils. I don't know, it very well could be, but I've had a constant 1320 for over 10 years that I haven't been able to shake even by replacing coils twice, (once with dealer coils - $700+!, and once with ebay coils - about $150 for the set) spark plugs, every sensor associated with it, etc. I was convinced it was in the wiring harness somewhere. About 3 weeks ago, I failed smog check due to high NOx, suspected the EGR system - i do have 217,000 miles on the max (96) Anyway, took off the TB, IACV, UIM, EGR tube, valve, BPT and upper valve covers and cleaned it all out. Replaced the PVC valve, two blowby hoses and all the gaskets. When i put it all back together, 1320 was gone. well, it did come back once...

This may sound crazy, and I can't verify it b/c of the amount off stuff that i did, but the small rubber hose that is supposed to connect the bottom of the BPT valve to the thin metal tube from the EGR valve had ruptured some time ago. I cleaned it all out, replaced the hose and I believe that may have been contributing to my problem. I always had 1320, but never had an accompanying cylinder code.

Here's another thought. The one time that 1320 came back- and since clearing the ECU after that it has stayed away - I started the car with the A/C switch on auto (i have the digital control) This is just a theory, but maybe the ECU is sensing a misfire due to the added stress of including the A/c in the starting process and triggering 1320. I don't know, but I'm being superstitious and making sure that it is shut down before i crank the starter. So far, so good. same ebay coil packs I've had on the car the last 6 years...

I guess maybe it still could've been in the wiring harness, i did move it around quite a bit - maybe i pinched something back together by accident. Like I said, I don't know, too many possibilities... that 1320 is a ***** and you can end up throwing hundreds of dollars worth of parts at it and still have it haunt you. So good luck, i hope some of this may help. and check that hose under your bpt valve - if it's blown, your egr wont function you'll lose some exhaust backpressure and the combustion temperature will be elevated. Your car may also run a bit lean b/c of it. I would think some of these thing could cause a sensed misfire...
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by floydthedog
......ECU is sensing a misfire due to the added stress....

When the ECU stores a code for anything, it does so after detecting a problem multiple times, so a misfire would have to happen something like 3 or 4 times before the ECU says hey!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by floydthedog
I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this, but the 1320 might not be your coils. I don't know, it very well could be, but I've had a constant 1320 for over 10 years that I haven't been able to shake even by replacing coils twice, (once with dealer coils - $700+!, and once with ebay coils - about $150 for the set) spark plugs, every sensor associated with it, etc. I was convinced it was in the wiring harness somewhere. About 3 weeks ago, I failed smog check due to high NOx, suspected the EGR system - i do have 217,000 miles on the max (96) Anyway, took off the TB, IACV, UIM, EGR tube, valve, BPT and upper valve covers and cleaned it all out. Replaced the PVC valve, two blowby hoses and all the gaskets. When i put it all back together, 1320 was gone. well, it did come back once...

This may sound crazy, and I can't verify it b/c of the amount off stuff that i did, but the small rubber hose that is supposed to connect the bottom of the BPT valve to the thin metal tube from the EGR valve had ruptured some time ago. I cleaned it all out, replaced the hose and I believe that may have been contributing to my problem. I always had 1320, but never had an accompanying cylinder code.

Here's another thought. The one time that 1320 came back- and since clearing the ECU after that it has stayed away - I started the car with the A/C switch on auto (i have the digital control) This is just a theory, but maybe the ECU is sensing a misfire due to the added stress of including the A/c in the starting process and triggering 1320. I don't know, but I'm being superstitious and making sure that it is shut down before i crank the starter. So far, so good. same ebay coil packs I've had on the car the last 6 years...

I guess maybe it still could've been in the wiring harness, i did move it around quite a bit - maybe i pinched something back together by accident. Like I said, I don't know, too many possibilities... that 1320 is a ***** and you can end up throwing hundreds of dollars worth of parts at it and still have it haunt you. So good luck, i hope some of this may help. and check that hose under your bpt valve - if it's blown, your egr wont function you'll lose some exhaust backpressure and the combustion temperature will be elevated. Your car may also run a bit lean b/c of it. I would think some of these thing could cause a sensed misfire...
Really appreciate your input, I received the set of used coils from Fakie J Farkerton and will run some tests this weekend if weather permits.

My first inclination is to clean the MAF, sometimes the car runs really high RPMs for a while. Like 2500 and stuck there when idle.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 AM

Really appreciate your input, I received the set of used coils from Fakie J Farkerton and will run some tests this weekend if weather permits.

My first inclination is to clean the MAF, sometimes the car runs really high RPMs for a while. Like 2500 and stuck there when idle.
That sounds like you IAC or TB.
If you replace your MAF, go OEM on that too.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 AM

Clean your Idle Air Control Valve, it sounds like its sticking
Old 02-23-2013, 02:27 PM

houston we've got a code!

P0305 I have never been so happy to see a code LOL! http://www.obd-codes.com/p0305 cylinder 5
Old 02-23-2013, 04:02 PM

so before I go ahead and take stuff apart, I've been testing the used coils I got from the used for sale section here:
Code:
In order to test the coil, take it out. Measure the resistance in the following manner:

POS to 1 and NEG to 2 -- should show infinite resistance
POS to 2 and NEG to 1 -- should show continuity but not zero ohms
POS to spark plug and NEG to 1 -- should show infinite resistance
POS to 1 and NEG to spark plug -- should show infinite resistance

Connector number 3 is a trigger and is not measurable.

Connector:

___|--|___
| 3 | 2| 1 |
-----------

If any coil shows otherwise than it should be replaced.
Connecting positive on 1 and negative on 2 indicates nothing (not infinite resistance).

Same for all six coils, (one of them is non-OEM). Did I get a dud by purchasing used? I don't want to waste time putting them in if they're no good, but also can't afford OEM new.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 PM

Somethings off on your testing, but I'm sure I'm biased because I sold them to you.
The coils were not even what solved my problem, as I stated; it was my MAF.
I did have a code for one coil in the past and goofed by buying an aftermarket coil for the specific plug.
I didn't know about the aftermarkets always throwing a code and just replaced all of them with other used OEM to get rid of the p1320 when I found out.
That code went away, but my car didn't act any better.
About a week or so later I got a code for my MAF and swapped it out.
Fixed everything.
I'm pretty sure that p1320 was just from my aftermarket coil, and the rest are fine, just high mileage.
I'm subscribed either way.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 AM

not a problem

definitely not trying to place blame and want to do as much research before digging in, since cylinder 5 is the hardest to change.

I think something is wrong with the ohm meter and is not showing infinite resistance. Will keep everyone updated
Old 02-24-2013, 08:59 AM

not a problem

definitely not trying to place blame and want to do as much research before digging in, since cylinder 5 is the hardest to change.

I think something is wrong with the ohm meter and is not showing infinite resistance. Will keep everyone updated
heres a link to the fsm
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1998/EC.pdf
go to ec-334 to ec-335 read that that will tell you how to test the coil packs

doesnt matter the year the coils are the same so the test procedure will be the same
Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 AM

another update:

Gapped the spark a little closer and put the plug back in. pretty good for now but who knows and installed an OEM used coil from Farkie also cleaned the throttle body.

https://i.imgur.com/nDXivQl.jpg

My plan is to change the plugs when I have more free time and warmer.

After lunch I'm going to pickup of Techron and throw it in there and call it a day.

============edit====

NGK coppers are okay right? looks like the plug inside cylinder 5 are in poor shape already

Last edited by gladiator; 02-24-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: plugs
Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 AM

^^Coppers are fine.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my 98 was spitting and sputtering and it would die sometimes right after you crank it up and also sometimes it'll just die when you stop at a light. i changed the fpr and the cam positioning sensor b/c thats the codes it was throwing. after i changed those it didnt help so i was thinking fuel injectors or coil packs. then i did some research on this forum and tried some advice on some things i could do for free b/c im on a limited budget. so i cleaned th maf sensor, tb, iacv, egr tube and just pretty much every thing right there in that little area and when i put it back together it was like a new car problem solved and i didnt even have to spend any money. i dont remember who told me to do it but i sure do appreciate it. thanks bro!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so whats the the deal with the the points are they just for bragging rights or do something else?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by districk81
my 98 was spitting and sputtering and it would die sometimes right after you crank it up and also sometimes it'll just die when you stop at a light. i changed the fpr and the cam positioning sensor b/c thats the codes it was throwing. after i changed those it didnt help so i was thinking fuel injectors or coil packs. then i did some research on this forum and tried some advice on some things i could do for free b/c im on a limited budget. so i cleaned th maf sensor, tb, iacv, egr tube and just pretty much every thing right there in that little area and when i put it back together it was like a new car problem solved and i didnt even have to spend any money. i dont remember who told me to do it but i sure do appreciate it. thanks bro!!!!!!!!
thanks, I think the EGR tube is slightly beyond my mechanical skill set, however I do wish to disable the FIC from this post http://forums.maxima.org/8646441-post20.html
Old 03-03-2013, 07:36 PM

More update for the .org community.

So I finally got a chance to change the plugs today, they were pretty dirty with oil on it. Name:  JDlq29J.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  161.5 KB

Afterwards there was a heavy misfire on cylinder 2 (CEL code) but I cleared it and everything was okay.

I also adjusted the FIC according to here http://forums.maxima.org/8646441-post20.html

here's the weird part: tested the car for any more coil / misfire code by driving to Ikea around 20 miles out. Everything was fine, but after an hour at Ikea, I had trouble starting.

Took a few tries before the car fired up, but no misfire or anything afterwards. And periodically, I still have trouble starting, but when it does everything feels smooth as ever.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im having a very close prob as every one in here but mine started after i upgraded my battery terminals and cabels the car would just crank and not start but iv managed to get to start now and it runs like it misfiring and studering but im not geting any code for it. i replaced my starter my crank sensors and cam sensor plugs and added so extra grounds and its staring better now but still tricky and still runs like its missing not sure were to go now with it be sides take the hole top end apart and puting it back togather lol i have my 00vi swap set and ready to do so might just do it then hope it fixes somthing any ideas

Last edited by drkjester; 03-04-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re:

Stay away from cheap coils! They will never last.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
Every 6 months sounds like a vacation. When I installed ebay coils 3 years ago they blew within 2 weeks.
I sold my Used OEM which had no issues other than high mileage (100K) and I bet they lasted longer than those eBay units!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 05:30 AM

Why are you guys commenting on a year old thread? I could understand reviving for a pertinent question, but damn.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:09 AM

mcook's first post.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 AM

Cause I can....