4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help choosing muffler

Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 298
help choosing muffler

hey everyone, i'd like to know what you all think about this muffler. Is it any good on a completely stock max or is it just a fart can?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400320609094...84.m1438.l2649


or how about this imitation flowmaster? will it give me the deep rumble i want?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-EA-21-2-2-...4fb9a0&vxp=mtr

im completely clueless on mufflers, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
PowerTotheMax is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 09:18 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ames IA
Posts: 196
Iirc there was a video of a guy with a turbo thrush or something on youtube that sounded really good. Just search maxima muffler on youtube and look at what other people are doing to get an idea what certain set ups might sound like
cjanderson3 is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 36
I personally wouldn't mess around with cheap home made eBay mufflers. If its performance gains you're searching for, there's none better when it comes to cost/hp gain ratio than a y pipe for your exhaust. 4th Gen Maximas can expect in the 12-15 hp range from an extremely simple bolt on part. You can get one from Warpspeed Performance for $225. It will give your car a little bit better sound too. No other parts or hardware are required to install this part. I would advise you to replace those old rusted nuts you remove though. There are 8 of them, size is M10 x 1.25
Bone Collector is offline  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:16 PM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 298
I"m actually thinking of getting a y pipe someday, but just not now. I want to try out a muffler first. I know i probably wont get much of a gain. Im probably just being a cheapskate looking at ebay. And I also don't want to jump on the fart can bandwagon though. Maybe I should get a real flowmaster.
PowerTotheMax is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:47 AM
  #5  
I'm nutty for Nissans
iTrader: (46)
 
JSutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 9,397
With an otherwise stock exhaust, adding just a muffler for sounds is fine. No power gains, just noise. Even a cat back will sound decent. If you are on the cheap, cut the stock muffler off, and have any shop install a straight though muffler. Believe it or not, I used to have a glass pack with a ricey polished tip. Compared to a friends Greddy SP1, side by side, tone and volume were nearly identical.

However, once I got a Y pipe the tone became pure garbage. Raspy rice mobile. The reason is due to unequal length pipes and less restriction (cats) to absorb noise. I did try a Dynomax chambered muffler, which was barely acceptable in the tone department. It was still raspy so I switched to a 5th gen muffler.

So if you just want noise, install any muffler you want.
JSutter is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:50 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 3,881
I guess it's all about cost. I can tell you Walker mufflers don't last--my original system lasted 11 years. A Walker replacement failed in 2. It has a lifetime warranty, but guess what? Good luck finding anybody to honor it. the only thing is on a 15 y.o. car, how much do you really want to spend...but if you're somewhere where there's no corrosion, I could see doing a nice exhaust...
Frank Fontaine is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mississauga, ON, CANADA
Posts: 1,207
Magnaflow 14827 on ebay is like 130 with free shipping
carsnwomen91 is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 01:38 AM
  #8  
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Burg, Wv
Posts: 251
I bought a "Kensai" catback off ebay for $120 and had my local shop install a xcelerator turbo muffler for $50. I think it sounds good but for me the best part is it looks stock. I had the fart can for a week and hated the attention it got me.
Zach-R is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 4,011
Originally Posted by JSutter View Post
With an otherwise stock exhaust, adding just a muffler for sounds is fine. No power gains, just noise. Even a cat back will sound decent. If you are on the cheap, cut the stock muffler off, and have any shop install a straight though muffler. Believe it or not, I used to have a glass pack with a ricey polished tip. Compared to a friends Greddy SP1, side by side, tone and volume were nearly identical.

However, once I got a Y pipe the tone became pure garbage. Raspy rice mobile. The reason is due to unequal length pipes and less restriction (cats) to absorb noise. I did try a Dynomax chambered muffler, which was barely acceptable in the tone department. It was still raspy so I switched to a 5th gen muffler.

So if you just want noise, install any muffler you want.
This.

I have a straight thru. Check the vid: http://s739.beta.photobucket.com/use...01013.mp4.html

I had a Dynomax super turbo street version) and it was high flow but no noise whatsover.

I like the straight thru.

As far as the mufflers you was looking at....I like the first one. Nice and polished and should produce good sound. HOWEVER, there doesnt appear to be any way of installing silencer for inspection time. In mass, they fail you for noise. The straight thru i have has a silencer i reinstall for inspection time.
cashoit is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 12:31 PM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 298
Originally Posted by cashoit View Post
This.

I have a straight thru. Check the vid: http://s739.beta.photobucket.com/use...01013.mp4.html

I had a Dynomax super turbo street version) and it was high flow but no noise whatsover.

I like the straight thru.

As far as the mufflers you was looking at....I like the first one. Nice and polished and should produce good sound. HOWEVER, there doesnt appear to be any way of installing silencer for inspection time. In mass, they fail you for noise. The straight thru i have has a silencer i reinstall for inspection time.
I did like the first one at first. Im in california, im not sure if thats a problem with emissions since my bro has a fart can on his honda, he never failed inspection. But i've come to thinking i may like something like a flowmaster. And for about the same price as the ebay muffler i was checking out, i can get a thrush welded muffler. I think thrush is a pretty reputable company. And i get the flowmaster sound.

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge with me. I really appreciate this forum.
PowerTotheMax is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
For what it's worth, I used the Warpspeed Y Pipe and High Flow Cat kit in a '92se and a '97se, and I definitely feel the difference in performance. The sound is deeper than stock, but not annoying. The Warpspeed Y-pipe is larger than the stock y pipe, and also allows better access to 02 sensors and other repairs later. I use a walker resonater and muffler in the back end. Not great, but sounds sporty.
This was definitely one of the best bang for buck upgrades that I've made, only spent $485 total.
sanford7575 is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
  #12  
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Burg, Wv
Posts: 251
Originally Posted by PowerTotheMax View Post
I did like the first one at first. Im in california, im not sure if thats a problem with emissions since my bro has a fart can on his honda, he never failed inspection. But i've come to thinking i may like something like a flowmaster. And for about the same price as the ebay muffler i was checking out, i can get a thrush welded muffler. I think thrush is a pretty reputable company. And i get the flowmaster sound.

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge with me. I really appreciate this forum.
When I had my xcelerator installed the shop owner let me "try on" a few different mufflers flowmaster, thrush, and xcelerator. I liked the sound of the thrush better but I was looking for something quieter. Which it was until I did the y pipe lol.
Zach-R is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 PM
  #13  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1
What diameter inlet and outlet does a 4th gen have on the muffler and Catt?
dc67 is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
  #14  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 13
i was at a muffler shop today and the guy told me that the best option for a maxima since is a V6 and "flowmaster" will make the car sound like a cheap honda civic and instead i should go with "Magnaflow" it will give you a deep european sound
here is a kit that will replace the stock muffler

jomurill is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: L.A. cali
Posts: 76
Magnaflow will sound deep and not to loud. I think that's a great choise.
jandk is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM
  #16  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 298
Originally Posted by jomurill View Post
i was at a muffler shop today and the guy told me that the best option for a maxima since is a V6 and "flowmaster" will make the car sound like a cheap honda civic and instead i should go with "Magnaflow" it will give you a deep european sound
here is a kit that will replace the stock muffler

Hmmmm i dunno i saw some vids on youtube with just a flowmaster. Didnt sound like a civic. Had a nice agressive tone/growl to me.

Now i dont know what i want LOL.

Last edited by PowerTotheMax; 03-05-2013 at 09:59 PM.
PowerTotheMax is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Diego,California
Posts: 8,949
Originally Posted by PowerTotheMax View Post
Hmmmm i dunno i saw some vids on youtube with just a flowmaster. Didnt sound like a civic. Had a nice agressive tone/growl to me.

Now i dont know what i want LOL.
What part of Cali you In? And anything from the Cat on Back can be Modified and wont mess with your Emissions, only when removing Pre Cats and the Main Cat it will.....
Rods03Max619 is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:12 AM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 298
Originally Posted by Rods03Max619 View Post
What part of Cali you In? And anything from the Cat on Back can be Modified and wont mess with your Emissions, only when removing Pre Cats and the Main Cat it will.....
Im in OC. Where you're from looks clear to me . But yea thats what i was thinking about the emissions.
PowerTotheMax is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 1,286
if your looking for sound i had a flowmaster series 40 on my old max ill post a video


i had my resonator removed so it made it louder
luke95gxe is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
  #20  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 298
Originally Posted by luke95gxe View Post
if your looking for sound i had a flowmaster series 40 on my old max ill post a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX_5BkDUx28

i had my resonator removed so it made it louder
Oh yea i saw that b4. I liked that one. Did you just remove the resonator and straight pipe it?
PowerTotheMax is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 1,286
Originally Posted by PowerTotheMax View Post
Oh yea i saw that b4. I liked that one. Did you just remove the resonator and straight pipe it?
yes the shop did it muffler and removal of the resonator 120.00
luke95gxe is offline  
Old 03-09-2013, 11:47 AM
  #22  
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 238
I have a vibrant muffler and so far its the best muffler I've had, even better than magnaflow which was my brand of choice when it came to mufflers, its all flat black 2.5 inlet and built in 3" tip I seriously recommend that!
milo2223 is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 12:30 PM
  #23  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by luke95gxe View Post
if your looking for sound i had a flowmaster series 40 on my old max ill post a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX_5BkDUx28

i had my resonator removed so it made it louder
hey what did it sound like with a resonator?
Carlosrodriguez19606 is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 01:17 PM
  #24  
JvG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,030
Originally Posted by Carlosrodriguez19606 View Post
hey what did it sound like with a resonator?
That thread is six years old.

Don't know if he owns a Maxima any more.

JvG is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Turbonut
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
46
10-21-2015 08:28 PM
TxBroncosFan
8th Generation Maxima (2016-)
2
09-21-2015 06:54 PM
carid
Group Deals / Sponsors Forum
0
09-09-2015 05:06 AM
TheMafia
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
6
09-04-2015 08:26 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help choosing muffler


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.