4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 04:50 PM

Heater Core

I am still lookin for the reason for why my car staying really cold in the winter and especailly when I put the heat on temp drops like crazy
I was wondering if a clogged or faulty heater core might be a good place to start but I don't wanna go ahead with that if its not necassary cuz it is a pain to get to and expensive to take it to a dealer. I already had a new thermostat put in and no change.
Old 01-29-2002, 07:21 PM

Heater Core

Originally posted by maxedout95
I am still lookin for the reason for why my car staying really cold in the winter and especailly when I put the heat on temp drops like crazy
I was wondering if a clogged or faulty heater core might be a good place to start but I don't wanna go ahead with that if its not necassary cuz it is a pain to get to and expensive to take it to a dealer. I already had a new thermostat put in and no change.
I know that the 3rd gen had problems with the heater core I was wondering if our gen has the same problem cuz whenever I put the heat on the engine temp falls almost to the bottom and now that it got warmer and I don't use the heat the temp stays at normal.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A couple of questions about this.

If the water continously circulates throughout the entire cooling system and never heats up wouldn't it seem like the thermostat was not closed and failing to retain the water in the engine block where it could heat up, open the thermostat at the correct water temperature, and then begin circulating the water from the radiator into the engine to heat that water up as well?

When you turn on the heater and set the temperature on the heater control such that water also flows through the heater core doesn't that just increase the amount of cold water flowing in the entire system such that again if the thermostat is not retaining the water in the engine to heat it up, then you don't have hot water to deliver to the heater core?

When it is really cold outside doesn't the cold air coming through the radiator cool the water passing through it faster so that you might want to block the radiator with cardboard or a big zippered cover like you see on Tractor Trailers?

I would flush the cooling system, replace the thermostat (which you have already done), and fill with a 70% antifreeze/30% distilled water mix, and see if the problem clears up before going after the heater core.

It seems to me if the thermostat was working correctly and the heater core was blocked that no hot water would circulate in the heater core and you would not get heat from the heater in the interior of the car, but the car would warm up to proper operating temperature.

Just suggestions. I could be wrong.

White96MaxSE
Old 01-31-2002, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by White96MaxSE
A couple of questions about this.

If the water continously circulates throughout the entire cooling system and never heats up wouldn't it seem like the thermostat was not closed and failing to retain the water in the engine block where it could heat up, open the thermostat at the correct water temperature, and then begin circulating the water from the radiator into the engine to heat that water up as well?

When you turn on the heater and set the temperature on the heater control such that water also flows through the heater core doesn't that just increase the amount of cold water flowing in the entire system such that again if the thermostat is not retaining the water in the engine to heat it up, then you don't have hot water to deliver to the heater core?

When it is really cold outside doesn't the cold air coming through the radiator cool the water passing through it faster so that you might want to block the radiator with cardboard or a big zippered cover like you see on Tractor Trailers?

I would flush the cooling system, replace the thermostat (which you have already done), and fill with a 70% antifreeze/30% distilled water mix, and see if the problem clears up before going after the heater core.

It seems to me if the thermostat was working correctly and the heater core was blocked that no hot water would circulate in the heater core and you would not get heat from the heater in the interior of the car, but the car would warm up to proper operating temperature.

Just suggestions. I could be wrong.

White96MaxSE
Old 01-31-2002, 04:28 PM

I know that during summer if your car is overheating, then you turn on the heater to cool it down because the motor sucks in cool air thus cooling the engine.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:29 PM

thanx for the taking your time in trying to help me out yeah I think that you are right but how many times you think that I should do the cooling flush and changing the stat cause that is not cheap and since I tried that already do you think I should try again and see what happens I mean do you think that doing it more than once will help cause if so I'll do it.

Thank you
Old 01-31-2002, 05:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You know I would be tempted to remove the thermostat inspect it to see what the thermostat's temperature rating is. I'm not sure what it should be for the 95 Maxima, but it may be 192 degrees Farenheit. It should say so somewhere.

As a matter of fact I have one that I bought new in a box right here that I went and got from the garage that I have yet to install.

On the side it says 82 degrees Centigrade. Converted to Farenheit this
is

CENTIGRADE/FAHRENHEIT CONVERSION

F = C * 9/5 + 32

Replacing C with 82

F = 82 * 9/5 + 32 = 179.5

Ok, it should open at 179.5 degrees farenheit. (Forget what I said above about 192 degrees, that was wrong)

I have a Cinnabar Thermometer I bought years ago for my chemistry set that will read to boiling water at 212 degree farenheit.

They sell for 6.00 - 8.00 at a hobby shop or chemistry gear supply.

Start heating the water and watch the thermostat and see if it opens at 179.5 degrees or around there.

Ok, Scratch that, Too Much hassle.

When your car is cold, go out start it up and let it idle for
10 to 15 minutes with the hood up.

At this point, if the thermostat was closed when it should be, it should start to open by now and the hot water (if its working) should start moving out of the engine into the radiator so find the upper radiator hose and feel it with your hand to see if it is warm. If it is then the thermostat is keeping the water in the engine long enough to initially get the engine to operating temperature.

If not, then your thermostat you just bought is defective and you should have the dealer who sold it to you replace a defective thermostat. You might at this point ask them to test the thermostat they sold you.

I assume that you have a proper amount of coolant in the system, and I also assume that you have a properly operating radiator cap that is holding the right amount of pressure in the cooling system.

If your radiator was clogged, then I would assume that the engine would overheat since the hot water in the engine couldn't escape to the radiator when the thermostat opened up at operating temperature.

Just more food for thought in troubleshooting.

White96MaxSE
Old 01-31-2002, 05:33 PM

The heater control doesn't control coolant flow through the heater core. It controls a flap that controls how much air flows through the heater core. If the thermostat doesn't open the engine overheats. If the thermostat is stuck open you won't get much heat. If the temp guage is reading pretty normal, and nothing in the heater controls are broken, then the most common cause of no heat is air in the cooling system.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by brubenstein
The heater control doesn't control coolant flow through the heater core. It controls a flap that controls how much air flows through the heater core. If the thermostat doesn't open the engine overheats. If the thermostat is stuck open you won't get much heat. If the temp guage is reading pretty normal, and nothing in the heater controls are broken, then the most common cause of no heat is air in the cooling system.

If there is air in the cooling sytem should I get another flush or what else and will the air in the system really cuz the temp to drop so low ?