4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can't figure this starting issue out

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Can't figure this starting issue out

I've had my 4th gen for a little over 2 years now, and ever since I have gotten it I have had issues trying to start it. A breif rundown on what has/hasn't been done:

New fpr
New injector gaskets
New IACV
New Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter replaced ~ 10K ago
Replaced #2??? Injector coil with used from salvage yard ~12K ago
Ignition switch replaced
New starter ~ 3K ago

Kept having issues, would have to pump the gas repeatedly about 3 separate cycles before she would fire up. Sometimes only 2 cycles, but usually 3. Added grounds, nothing. Finally about 2 wks ago I added a 4ga ground from starter bolt directly to the battery and BAM! All seems fine.

Well if the car has sat for a while, say 2-3 hours it starts up just like the youtube video I uploaded. Have to pump the gas pedal lightly and it fires up then idles funny for a bit, then all is fine. I can drive it around, stop somewhere, and go to fire her up and 99% of the time fires up without any issue.

Along with this starting issue, I think I should also address that generally I have some kind of driving issue. Most of the time 95% it drives like a champ, pulls hard, gets up to speed real quick. The other 5% is usually when I come from a stop, it sort of sputters for a little bit and maybe 2-3 seconds later its fine. And also accellerating in 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear, around 1-2K rpm it will sometimes buck. Just like the sputtering, it lasts for ~2-3 sec and then goes away.

The bucking I noticed before adding the 4ga ground to the starter, but the sputtering only happened after. Ive got a custom exhaust and when this happens, tends to be a little embarrassing. Ive read up a couple threads saying that it could be MAF, could be coils. Ive tested the cam sensor and crank sensors and they checked out fine (though i have read that doesnt mean they are good)

I have already thrown a lot of money at it trying to fix it, and I am tired of reading threads thinking oh that'll fix it, just to find out NOPE but new part lol.

Also sometimes I can smell gas in the cabin, dunno if that helps.

Here is the youtube video of my car doing a "cold" start:

Old 07-07-2013, 04:45 PM

I would check the MAF and the coolant temperature sensor. I had a sputtering problem, except it was really bad, to the point i couldn't drive it, and it was the maf. I also have trouble starting it sometimes without pressing the gas pedal a little. Its most likely an air problem if not the coolant temp sensor. My Air intake temp sensor is going bad, even though it doesnt say it is under normal driving. So that could be your problem as well.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 07-07-2013, 04:52 PM

I say MAF.

Try cleaning it with MAF cleaner and go from there.
If it doesn't work, post a WTB in the classifieds here, or go junkyard hunting again.
Not worth buying new IMO. Iirc new is $400+
Old 07-07-2013, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
I say MAF.

Try cleaning it with MAF cleaner and go from there.
If it doesn't work, post a WTB in the classifieds here, or go junkyard hunting again.
Not worth buying new IMO. Iirc new is $400+
And if cleaning doesn't work, try to repair it if you have the capabilities. Solder some jump wires in it, and it should be fixed. That worked for mine.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 07-07-2013, 05:02 PM

I may be on the wrong track, but I had to replace my starter 3X since October 2012, because of the cheaply made starter (new AC Delco made in China).

Why I mention it is on starter number 2, my car behaved as if it didn't want to start--it would take 4-5 tries, because on the other two, the starter either clashed or clicked. The 3rd time, it seemed to engage properly, but would usually require another 1 or 2 tries with seemingly proper engagement.

Everybody told me you have a bad flywheel tooth.

When I got the 3rd starter installed, THE CAR HAS NEVER FAILED TO START ON THE FIRST TRY.

I honestly would not suspect 2 bad "new" starters, and I thought I had a tune issue....just thought I'd throw it out there, even though you have a relatively new starter.....
Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

did you check the spark plugs for sputtering. you may want to check for vacuum leaks as well.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by speed racer
did you check the spark plugs for sputtering. you may want to check for vacuum leaks as well.
Speaking of vacuum leaks, i was looking over everything today and i noticed this... Would this cause a problem?

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...E/IMAG0261.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...E/IMAG0262.jpg
Old 07-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

possible. Take the hose out and inspect for cracks or holes.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by speed racer
possible. Take the hose out and inspect for cracks or holes.
Thats it, that hose has a huge crack in it