4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Adding fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 07:29 AM
pjalst

Adding fog lights

I have a 96 GXE. My car DOES NOT have the cut-out for the fog lights but it has that ribbed patern where the fog lights should go. I noticed that there is wiring behind the bumper for fogs. Is there a kit or a way to cut a hole there and install the stock fog lights? or should I just replace the front bumper with an SE bumper?

Old 01-15-2002, 07:36 AM
Administrator

order a fog light kit from the dealership.. it comes with a template to cut the hole..
Old 01-15-2002, 07:39 AM
pjalst

Originally posted by SprintMax
order a fog light kit from the dealership.. it comes with a template to cut the hole..

thanks

Old 01-15-2002, 08:10 AM
HPS

Order online from http://www.auburnnissan.com

I got my OEM fogs for $179.99.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:14 AM
pjalst

Originally posted by HPS
Order online from http://www.auburnnissan.com

I got my OEM fogs for $179.99.

did you have to cut the hole in the bumper? if so how did it come out?

Old 01-15-2002, 08:23 AM

Re: Adding fog lights

Originally posted by pjalst
I have a 96 GXE. My car DOES NOT have the cut-out for the fog lights but it has that ribbed patern where the fog lights should go. I noticed that there is wiring behind the bumper for fogs. Is there a kit or a way to cut a hole there and install the stock fog lights? or should I just replace the front bumper with an SE bumper?
I made the conversion. You have to remember a couple of things though. When you buy the factory fog lights from the dealer you also have the buy the turn signal mast from an SE model of the same year, that's where the fog lights switch is. You will also have to buy a relay. The relay is located in the engine bay and it's labeled, but since your max did not come equiped with fogs from factory, the relay is just missing. I bought mine at the local PepBoys. Another thing is that the wiring is already there for all of this from factory. The wires to hookup to the new mast are taped to the steering column, it was kind of hard to find for me at first, but they are there. Once found, it's a simple plug and play type of hook up. Good luck. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. By the way, I went the route of getting an SE nose since I'm very uncoordinated when it comes to cutting and I wanted mine to look good. It's a little more expensive, but to me it was worth the money. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:36 AM
pjalst

Re: Re: Adding fog lights

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

I made the conversion. By the way, I went the route of getting an SE nose since I'm very uncoordinated when it comes to cutting and I wanted mine to look good. It's a little more expensive, but to me it was worth the money. Good luck.
How much did you pay for the bumper? was it from the dealer or used?

Old 01-15-2002, 09:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Adding fog lights

Originally posted by pjalst

How much did you pay for the bumper? was it from the dealer or used?
It was actually from the dealer, but it was done after an accident which was not my fault so her insurance paid for it. I think it was the same price as your stock one. If you can have a body shop cut the holes out for you or you're very careful doing it, it would probably work out good for you. Like I said once that part is done, all the wiring is there to just hook up. Now that I think about it, it would probably be pretty expensive to just buy the SE cover, since it comes unpainted. So for you, call the dealer and make sure that the factory fogs come with a template and just put them in. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:34 PM

i still aint too sure how u supposed to put in the switch
Old 01-15-2002, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
i still aint too sure how u supposed to put in the switch
You have to buy the turn signal mast from an SE model of the same year. On that mast, the only difference from your stock turn signal mast is that it has another little "circle" type of switch already built in. You take yours off by taking the steering column/switch cover off and taking a couple of screws loose and plugging in your new one. Remember that you also have to buy the new relay for the one that is missing in the engine bay and you also must connect the pigtail that is taped to the underside of the steering column (between the brake pedal and the ignition switch) before it will all work. It's really not as hard as it sounds, just take your time, do it during the day and make sure you tuck all wires back and you should be just fine. Let me know.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:54 AM
pjalst

I think I'll try my luck with the kit from he dealer, getting a whole new front would pobably be a pain in the @ss.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:15 AM

You have to buy the turn signal mast from an SE model of the same year. On that mast, the only difference from your stock turn signal mast is that it has another little "circle" type of switch already built in. You take yours off by taking the steering column/switch cover off and taking a couple of screws loose and plugging in your new one. Remember that you also have to buy the new relay for the one that is missing in the engine bay and you also must connect the pigtail that is taped to the underside of the steering column (between the brake pedal and the ignition switch) before it will all work. It's really not as hard as it sounds, just take your time, do it during the day and make sure you tuck all wires back and you should be just fine. Let me know.
I ordered the fog light kit from Courtesy Nissan a couple of years ago. The switch stalk and relay were INCLUDED.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by sinewave

I ordered the fog light kit from Courtesy Nissan a couple of years ago. The switch stalk and relay were INCLUDED.

Well then, I was jipped because my body shop ordered the fog lights from Nissan, and I had to buy the rest.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:30 AM
pjalst

What did courtesy charge you? Anyone got a link to Courtesy?

Old 01-16-2002, 07:31 PM

Here's the link, but they don't show 4th gen foglights; you'll have to call them. Don't forget to mention Maxima.org.

http://www.courtesyparts.com

The 5th gen foglights on their site are $142.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:59 AM

Here's the link, but they don't show 4th gen foglights; you'll have to call them. Don't forget to mention Maxima.org.

I was looking around and on ebay I saw this morning where they had not only the SE bumper cover, new and primered, but also new set of factory fog lights. Prices range from $85 for the bumber cover to $75 something for the fogs. May be worth a look. Just trying to help.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:07 AM

At courtesyparts.com, if you search the 4th gen fog light kit 999F1-7F000, I think it'll pop the price out, maybe no picture shown. I remember one time it was $212. I emailed them 2 weeks ago mentioning even telling them my .org screen name. They quote me $200 plus shipping. I ordered from auburnnissan, Total $198 to be delivered to my door(thanks HPS for the info).
Old 01-17-2002, 08:20 AM
MaximaFreak

Just as an idea (and also money saving), you can skip the mast and wire the fogs to your parking lights with a relay. I have an SE and I rewired to come on with the parking lights by wiring that way. Otherwise, you will only get fogs when your headlights are on and they will go off when the high beams are on. I forget exactly how I wired it, but I'm sure someone somewhere has a how-to on it.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:32 PM
pjalst

Originally posted by Big_Ham

Just as an idea (and also money saving), you can skip the mast and wire the fogs to your parking lights with a relay. I have an SE and I rewired to come on with the parking lights by wiring that way. Otherwise, you will only get fogs when your headlights are on and they will go off when the high beams are on. I forget exactly how I wired it, but I'm sure someone somewhere has a how-to on it.

Wiring the fogs to the parking lights sounds good, sometimes I like to have fogs on w/o the headlights. anyone know where I can find a diagram on how to do this?