4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-pipe just installed and IT'S TERRIBLE!!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 07:10 AM

Y-pipe Blues

I have Stillen Y, B, and muffler w/ RT cat. Y-pipe fit nicely, but I was getting a rattle. I found that it was actually the B-pipe rubbing near the connection to the muffler. I fixed that and then got a new rattle. I did some more searching and couldn't find what was causing it, but the new rattle is so minor that I am just dealing with it. I only hear it occasionally. Overall, power gains are great, but Stillen set-up is loud and muffler has a rat-tat-tat until it warms up. So that is my 2.
Old 01-16-2002, 07:55 AM

Just got back from the muffler shop...

and it WAS touching the frame, specifically the K-member and that what was causing the crazy vibration and lound noise. Appartently, it's a fittment issue with the pipe itself. The pipe is welded and bent wrong (or probably my car is angled funny) and there is alot of stress on the flex section too. The muffler guy said that he can heat the pipe and bend it away from the frame to eliminate contact for free, but will that void my warrenty? **** it, I'm gonna call Brian Catts and give him hell...
Old 01-16-2002, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
the power of the y pipe is nothing wager over a less than $5 fix..
you think it's that simple maybe cause you didn't go through what I went through
try getting the y pipe that is miswelded and taking it to mechenics to get it fixed but the problem was the y-pipe, not the mechenics
Old 01-16-2002, 12:27 PM
dot dot dot ...

My Stillen 1st gen equal length Y fits just fine
Old 01-16-2002, 12:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had two Y-pipes - Cattman and Warpspeed.

I had this issue with my warpspeed, but it was from the bracket that is around the Y-pipe/Cat section. All you have to do is bend the part of the bracket that is touching. I had my friend cut it, bend it down and reweld it. And my problem was solved.

Warpspeed even underlines it in their instructions (at the bottom):
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/install.htm
Old 01-16-2002, 12:54 PM

My problem..

is the Y-pipe too. The butt-welds before the flex pipe is 1/4 off, and it's that 1/4 inch that makes it rest on my K frame and create the vibrations that shake the car. I'm trying to work it out wit Brian Catts right now.....but I'm leaning on getting reimbursed for installationd returning the dang thing! It sets off too many alarms in the garage at work!
Old 01-16-2002, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

That's exactly what it is. I had some idiot at the muffler shop weld the bracket directly to pipe/cat and it vibrated like crazy. I took it back and his supervisor said the other guy did a bad job. He fixed it correctly and now all i hear is my exhaust note, as it should be.
so what did he do? Remove the bracket?
Old 01-16-2002, 01:18 PM

Re: My problem..

Originally posted by Str8ridin
is the Y-pipe too. The butt-welds before the flex pipe is 1/4 off, and it's that 1/4 inch that makes it rest on my K frame and create the vibrations that shake the car. I'm trying to work it out wit Brian Catts right now.....but I'm leaning on getting reimbursed for installationd returning the dang thing! It sets off too many alarms in the garage at work!
So you gonna return the y pipe or just have it fixed? Also was the Y chipped from hitting something? The Y is definetly faulty, right? I am having the same problems. What should I do? This is such B\S!
Old 01-16-2002, 01:23 PM

Re: Re: My problem..

Originally posted by puremax

So you gonna return the y pipe or just have it fixed? Also was the Y chipped from hitting something? The Y is definetly faulty, right? I am having the same problems. What should I do? This is such B\S!
I dunno...I'm still debating weather to return it or get a new one. My Y hasn't been chipped, but if I keep it on longer, it'll get dented from where it is hitting the frame of my car. And yes, the Y is definetly faulty...one of the welds is off center. Depending on how long you've had it on, I suggest contacting Cattman and explain your problem and see what he can do. Depending on your situation, he can help you out or atleast work with you to meet a compromise. I'll keep you posted on how he deals with it once I hear back from him.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: My problem..

I just got mine installed. My mechanic couldn't figure out what's wrong. It vibrates at idle in Drive with A/C on. no vibrates at all
when I turned of the a/c and still in drive at idle.
That mechanic also sucks , didn't try to help much.
going to another shop will be just wasting money unless they can find the problem.
This thing is so annoying
Old 05-07-2002, 01:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: My problem..

Warpspeed! No rattle here!
Old 05-07-2002, 01:48 PM
Custom User Title...

anybody with Budget and has problems? i'm considering getting one this summer but these kind of threads make me nervous.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Jepht20
anybody with Budget and has problems? i'm considering getting one this summer but these kind of threads make me nervous.
mine is budget. good gains though.
Old 05-07-2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Jepht20
Budget installed mine in about 45 mins, fits great, sounds great and only cost $155 installed through group buy, normal price is $170.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:00 PM

Which to buy

After all this which is the reccomended y-pipe to buy. Also do all the brands put out the same sound and power.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:02 PM
del

MIGHT BE THE Y-PIPE IS HITTING SOMETHING,PEOPLE AT MIDAS DONT CARE AT ALL TO WHAT THEY DO.PROBABLY THEY DID NOT CHECK THE PIPE AFTER THEY INSTALLED IT.ALL THEY WANT IS YOUR MONEY.IF YOU HAVE JACKSTANDS,LIFT YOUR CAR AND CRAWL UNDER JUST CHECK THE Y-PIPE IF ITS HITTING SOMETHING.HOPE THIS WILL HELP,GOODLOCK.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:56 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o(

After litterally contemplating a Y-Pipe purchase for 2 years, I finally broke down and bought one (I didn't want the loud noise - but 10+ HP for $200 was too hard to resist). Well, after installing my aluminum WSP Y (and CS cat.) last night, the sound is the least of my worries. I am sooooo bummed. When I started it over, it shook like a roller coaster (and smelled terrible)! Well, the shaking at idle eventually went away and doesn't happen anymore. However, while driving, it is baaaaad. I hate it. The sound is way too loud (although not my main worry right now, like I said) but the vibration and shaking is unbearable. I feel it mostly in the gas peddle and hear it in the dashboard. It is usually only while accelerating. Once I hit cruising speed, it's fine. I hate this. I did a search first thing (thus reveiling this thread) and I do feel somewhat better since I have read that many of you have had this and fixed it. But I really don't remember seeing the Y hitting anything last night. But I'll look again. I hope that's all it is. I'm soo bummed right now.

P.s. What is a 'K-Member'?
Old 05-22-2002, 02:25 PM

I have the WSP aluminized y as well and love it. It made the exhaust a little louder but it is definitely tolerable. I did however have a rattle. I got under the car and found what everybody else has. The basket hanger that is right at the cat and y pipe junction is occasionally rubbing the nipple that sticks out from the tunnel in the body. This nipple is what the rubber hanger attaches to on the car (there is a nipple on the basket and one on the car). I bent the S*** out of the basket towards the exhaust pipe and my rattle is completely eliminated. You've got to remember that when you give the engine gas it rocks some. If I'm not mistaken when you accelerate the y pipe will be pulled towards the front of the car and slightly upward, when you decelerate it goes back to the resting posistion. Hope this helps. I love my ypipe and would recommend anyone to get one.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:06 PM

After reading the first few posts off this thread, I am shocked at how people are responding. Having both a Y-pipe and an exhaust on a car will always have resonation. This is well known since the first Y-pipe came out. If you want to get rid of the resonation, then get rid of the exhaust. The exhaust only makes 1/3 the power the Y-pipe does. I have only seen 1 car with an exhaust and a Y-pipe that both sounded good and had minimal resonation, but the exhaust was custom made. For the vibration, check to see if the Y-pipe is hitting the center engine support and the back of the engine compartment.

Loren
Old 05-24-2002, 12:51 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Well, after living with the aweful vibrations for two days, I finally had a chance to look at it. Actually, I didn't have a chance, I had to make a chance. I worked on it from 2am to 3am last night. Anyway, I got it!!! The noise is still unlivable but I'll take care of that by putting back on the stock muffler, or perhaps a 5th gen muffler, etc. later. I'm just so glad the vibes are gone! I put the front wheel on ramps, jacked up the rear, slid like a snake on my back under the car and just looked around. I gathered from you guys that the vibrations were from the Y touching a part of the car. Either at the 'K-Member' (although I have no idea what that is) or where the hangar is where the Y meets the cat. That's where my problem was, at the hangar. I didn't see any obvious touching and when I shook the Y/cat, it seemed solid. But with a very forceful shake, I heard a little noise. I then pinpointed it by listening closely. I think this is what you guys were talking about but I'm not quite sure: It was where the rubber hangar is. The one on the left side, or driver side, of the car. It has this big, metal plate (that isn't on the other side)and it was leaning up against the bolt that holds the rubber hangar to the car. It was not easy at all but I bent that plate forward. Problem solved. It seems like the plate resting against the bolt wouldn't cause all that vibration but, trust me, it does!! So any of you with vibes, I'd check that plate. I am so releived. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It helped me a lot.

P.s. Thanks to Dan at WS for personally contacting me after reading about my problem.
Old 05-24-2002, 03:13 PM

so all in all, which y-pipe is the best, and how many people have installed one without any trouble?
Old 05-24-2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
dunt sweat it......its not like your car is gonan explode....but yor mistake was taking it to midas.....you should have taken it to a private place
That's where you are wrong yet again. I'm an Assistant Manager at Midas and believe me, the techs there are ASE certified and know way more than you'll ever know. They also back up their work. You won't find that at any private place.