4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen turbo kit ....very close!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002 | 01:15 PM

Re: The whole world want to know!

Originally posted by nigelcmf
Hehe! A pic is worth a thousand words! NO one was really interested until I posted these pics!
man, way to see this thing through! best of luck on the dyno!
Old 02-21-2002 | 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice PICs!

One suggestion, you have the huge and hot inlet pipe for the turbo like right next to the upper radiator hose. Maybe you ought to put some sort of heat shield between them. The intese heat that the inlet pipe will give off may fatigue the hose sooner rather than later.

DW
Old 02-21-2002 | 02:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: some pics

Originally posted by DrivinDaMax98

You live in North Carlolina?
Wilmington, sometime Raleigh NC. Should i suggest that we get a max meet sometime in the late spring? A few peps in wilmington would be interested.
Old 02-21-2002 | 02:54 PM
MaximaFreak

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: some pics

Originally posted by perfectmax

Wilmington, sometime Raleigh NC. Should i suggest that we get a max meet sometime in the late spring? A few peps in wilmington would be interested.
If this is planned with enough advanced timing and I have a respectable car by then (read: rims) then I can get there. I'll plan a vacation around it.
Old 02-21-2002 | 02:59 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Nice PICs!

One suggestion, you have the huge and hot inlet pipe for the turbo like right next to the upper radiator hose. Maybe you ought to put some sort of heat shield between them. The intese heat that the inlet pipe will give off may fatigue the hose sooner rather than later.

DW
Thanks for the suggestion ...this is work in progress. I had the same concern with that AND the turbo being close to the hood. There will be a heat shield there when it is done. It just hasn't been mounted yet!
Old 02-21-2002 | 04:14 PM

Hey,

When everything is done let me know. I know that myself and a couple other guys in Colorado wanted to meet with you when you get a chance, and maybe set up a mini meet around it.
Old 02-21-2002 | 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Canuck
Hey,

When everything is done let me know. I know that myself and a couple other guys in Colorado wanted to meet with you when you get a chance, and maybe set up a mini meet around it.
Yes, I am willing to drive the 1.5 hours to meet you in Ft. Collins. If thats cool with you that is.

Kirk
Old 02-21-2002 | 08:32 PM

i am down for a meet as well, but i won't be able to make it for atleast 3 weeks to a month....
Old 02-22-2002 | 05:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'll go...
Old 02-22-2002 | 06:51 AM
Lives in a 11sec maxima

Now all you need is better internals with lower compression.
Old 02-22-2002 | 08:57 AM

Originally posted by TILLEYS99
Now all you need is better internals with lower compression.
Hehe! Why do you think I had all the questions about the DET internals?
Old 02-22-2002 | 09:10 AM

Okay

3. These kits are not CARB certified... whatever that means...I am not sure...he said very few kits are...only Greddy make "CARB" certified...and they don't do one for the Maxima anyway.

4. I also asked about passing emissions - This guy didn't know for sure but said if it can pass with a Y pipe without precats then it should be able to pass with the turbo....but again he wasn't 100% sure....have to ask the owner.

CARB is California Air Resources Board. The Stillen/Vortech supercharger setup is approved. The problem with passing emissions isn't the tailpipe product, it's the visual inspection. If the part is aftermarket and doesn't have a CARB sticker, it won't even get tested in California. I passed with a y-pipe, but the guy didn't look under the car. If he had, it wouldn't have passed.
Old 02-22-2002 | 10:05 AM

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax

CARB is California Air Resources Board. The Stillen/Vortech supercharger setup is approved. The problem with passing emissions isn't the tailpipe product, it's the visual inspection. If the part is aftermarket and doesn't have a CARB sticker, it won't even get tested in California. I passed with a y-pipe, but the guy didn't look under the car. If he had, it wouldn't have passed.
I'm interested to know if the turbo will pass Fed emissions. With a more open exhaust and the extra boost it seems like you'd fail emissions since Maxima emission numbers are for NA vehicles. Would an electronic boost controller help out with this at all? I also know that most people run slightly rich so they don't end up leaning out which ends up killing cats. Anyone know how seriously modified cars pass inspection?
-hype
Old 02-22-2002 | 10:14 AM

Originally posted by xHypex

I'm interested to know if the turbo will pass Fed emissions. With a more open exhaust and the extra boost it seems like you'd fail emissions since Maxima emission numbers are for NA vehicles. Would an electronic boost controller help out with this at all? I also know that most people run slightly rich so they don't end up leaning out which ends up killing cats. Anyone know how seriously modified cars pass inspection?
-hype
Retention and swaping of stock exhaust systems, or $$$$ to the inspector.
Old 02-22-2002 | 11:45 AM

Isn't

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

$$$$ to the inspector.
a Federal crime?
Old 02-22-2002 | 11:45 AM

man, it must suck to have emissions testing...

good thing we don't have it here!
Old 02-22-2002 | 11:49 AM

Originally posted by MadMax95
Isn't

a Federal crime?

but i think owning an auto is!!!
Old 02-22-2002 | 12:22 PM

Originally posted by pawn

but i think owning an auto is!!!
Ho

Old 02-22-2002 | 01:21 PM

Isn't

a Federal crime?
Only if you get caught.
Old 02-22-2002 | 01:57 PM

Ho

Old 02-22-2002 | 02:06 PM

I had the CARB and emissions discussion earlier in this thread....I know it is a long thread! It is not CARB approved. Is Stillen's really CARB approved?

Well in any case, this should still pass emissions. If not, it is easily stockable without much effort. That was the nice thing about the way my tuner set it up.

About inspections. here in CO, they are not very strict on that. Most inspectors don't know what is stock and what is not. it would take someone who is very familiar with the technical side of cars and know cars really well to notice changes like that ... even a turbo! The place I went to do my emissions, he only knew where to stick the sensors. he didn't even know where to put the sensor for rpm cos ours is DIS system, no HT leads.
Old 02-22-2002 | 05:44 PM

About inspections. here in CO, they are not very strict on that.
They're ***** in Texas. Especially in the south. I had to jump through hoops to get one car passed. I had to get a tec 3 aftermarket emissions management system.
Old 02-22-2002 | 09:59 PM

Please note that I am not saying that CO is not strict about emissions. You still have to pass emissions! They are particular about that stuff. Just don't care so much if you have an aftermarket part in there.
Old 02-22-2002 | 10:28 PM
MaximaFreak

Please note that I am not saying that CO is not strict about emissions. You still have to pass emissions! They are particular about that stuff. Just don't care so much if you have an aftermarket part in there.
FL = No emissions
Old 02-22-2002 | 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Big_Ham

FL = No emissions
I love this state, and there slow minds. I think the CO2 will get to them and they'll put it back. These ghettomobiles are getting ridiculous!
Old 02-22-2002 | 10:47 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

I love this state, and there slow minds. I think the CO2 will get to them and they'll put it back. These ghettomobiles are getting ridiculous!
CO2?

You mean Carbon Monoxide? That's CO. CO2 is the stuff that comes out of your mouth when you exhale.

I know... I'm an ***.
Old 02-23-2002 | 11:21 AM

Originally posted by AgaricX

CO2?

You mean Carbon Monoxide? That's CO. CO2 is the stuff that comes out of your mouth when you exhale.

I know... I'm an ***.
Old 02-23-2002 | 11:23 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

CO2?

I know... I'm an ***.

And yes boys florida kicks @SS.. I didn't even know what emissions was before I came to this site
Old 02-23-2002 | 11:27 AM

CO2?

I know... I'm an ***.
Old 02-23-2002 | 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

And yes boys florida kicks @SS.. I didn't even know what emissions was before I came to this site
LOL, I like the sig bro, "the Mack and Macklem duals"

Kirk
Old 02-23-2002 | 11:42 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

LOL, I like the sig bro, "the Mack and Macklem duals"

Kirk
Ya I thought it would sound cool..and this way Mr. Darren can know he now envy's both our setups
Old 02-23-2002 | 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: 4th gen turbo kit NOW WITH PICS!

Originally posted by nigelcmf This guy is going to make a custom manifold?
I have been sharing this info with people on the CO board...but thought I would like to share it with you guys too! I have found a guy here in CO who can and is willing to do a turbo kit. He gave me a preliminary estimate of $2600 to $3000...he said that was conservative...

Today I went in to get a more accurate quote - measure piping and stuff. Well the quote came in a little higher than I thought it would. I will list what it comes with also...I still need some details but this is what I have so far:

Kit 1 - non-intercooled $2700
Kit 2 - with Spearco intercooler and piping (need to clarify size) $3400

What's included:
Here's what's in the kit:

1. Turbo TO4e from Turbonetics 60 trim 0.7 to 0.81 A/R (your choice)
2. Deltagate external wastegate
3. exhaust pipes (Customize existing Y pipe 2.5" and provide piping to and from Turbo, powder coated steel - upgrades available)
4. Oil line
5. 2 oil dumps.
6. exhaust flanges to and from turbo
7. fuel pressure regulator (Vortech 8:1)
8. general fittings
9. turbowrap
10. Clamps, connectors etc..
11. Spearco intercooler with piping (option) Custom made 28" X 7.8" X 3.5"

Warranty - manufacturer's for all parts
- piping (to be negotiated)
- engine ... none

Emissions - TBD

Power gain - approx 80 HP (conservatively)

You can run this kit up to 20lbs of pressure. Mine will be set at 5-7 to begin with...

What is NOT included (options):
high flow fuel pump (recommended but not essential) GSS342
larger fuel jets/rail (not required)
Tial wastegate upgrade $50 (not required)
Blow Off Valve (up to you)
Turbo timer (up to you)
shipping cost
labor

He will do a pretty good deal on install for you...you would have to talk to him....or me...

If you are interested let me know, we might be able to get some form of group deal.

I am fronting some extra cost over this cos I am doing it first. You guys will benefit. I don't want him to build a jig if no one else is interested. Let me know! I am going to do it. It will take him about 1 week to get the parts and 1 week to do all the fitting work. I go in next week!

Old 02-23-2002 | 02:27 PM

Re: Re: 4th gen turbo kit NOW WITH PICS!

Originally posted by Cellkid
Where is your reply?
Old 02-23-2002 | 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

You must be young... they only got rid of emissions a couple of years ago. That, or you just never did it.

This is OT.
Old 02-23-2002 | 06:55 PM

have fun boosting...

how's it working out? any problems? also as a sidenote...if you are worried about heat warping/damaging the rubber hoses...you can get a rubber hose/wrapped in insulation (it might still be asbestos) /and then a layer of braided metal. It works great...had a set on my old celica all trac.
Old 02-23-2002 | 07:30 PM

Anymore new pics? what was the final cost? is this guy willing to sell it as a kit? hows the lag/power overall?
Old 02-23-2002 | 10:36 PM

OK here's an update.
2 pieces of bad news:

1. I checked the pipe mounting on the exhaust. It will probably not be able to fit auto transmission. We may have to relocate the pipes if you want the same ground clearance. If you don't mind losing some ground clearance, it may still work.

2. We went over budget on the piping. It cost quite a bit more than we expected cos of the amount of time the exhaust place put in. Not sure if he can hold the original price yet. It's about $400 over. Hopefully the kit will not go that high cos he has a jig now, mine was custom bent by trial and error.

Two kits have been sold so far to a place in Denver. I keep forgetting the damn name, he told it to me again today and I've forgotten it already.

The GOOD news (for me) the car will be ready Tuesday. I went in and helped on the install today. I have more pics, I'll post within the next half hour or so. We made good progress. The Turbo is in, the MAF and air filter is ready. The bumper section has been cut to fit the intercooler. The exhaust downpipe section is going to be chromed to make it look better and all the intercooler pipes will be powdercoated Monday with any luck. Tuesday, it will be buttoned up and Dynoed.

OK let me upload some image files and post again!
Old 02-23-2002 | 11:15 PM

Re: some pics

OK

More pics here:
This shows the oil feed line on the right and return on the left. I know there are going to be a lot of people who worry about the return being so high. Well we'll see what happens. The oil pressure should be enough to drive oil through without any problems. I know there will be comments about this. There is an oil return hole right beneath the cover also which worked out really nicely.

Next pic shows air intake to the turbo

The CAI hole that I put in will still be used. It will go into the MAF and through the Turbo. The outlet of course goes to intercooler before going to TB.

Next pic shows the front of the car with the bumper section cut out for the intercooler. The intercooler is still in the box on the floor. I had to just relocate the powersteering cooler to run behind the post instead of in front so the intercooler can mount.

I am going to try to set up a website so I don't have to post these pics all over the org. Can't seem to find my copy of MS Frontpage. Enjoy the pics!

If I had run non-intercooled, we could have run it today, but alas I want it run intercooled.

I forgot to take pics of the wastegate and BOV, I'll get those on Monday.

This kit is actually VERY easy to put on. We ran into a few hiccups, but it is bolt on. If all the parts were ready, you could put in on in two days. When this is completely done, I plan to put together a worksheet to show step by step how this is done.

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHT!
Old 02-23-2002 | 11:38 PM

Those pictures are HUGE! No descriptions, but here's the picture in a more managable size.
Nigel's Turbo
-hype
Old 02-24-2002 | 12:01 AM

Originally posted by xHypex
Those pictures are HUGE! No descriptions, but here's the picture in a more managable size.
Nigel's Turbo
-hype

Hehe! Sorry, don't have the right tools here. You're also showing more pics than I wanted to publish, some repeats of pretty much the same thing, but that's OK!

Thanks for doing that.

Quick Reply: 4th gen turbo kit ....very close!