4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen turbo kit ....very close!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002 | 06:27 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by nigelcmf
OK this has been dragging on for a long time. I've probably lost all credibility here. It has been delay after delay! Finally all the parts are in. The turbo was the last part . I didn't get to see the BOV but I guess we can install that later if it is not here yet. That wastegate is much bigger that I thought it would be!

I will be going in Thursday and actually doing some of the work myself. We will do a pre-turbo dyno test to see where we are with CAI and Y pipe.

Wish me luck!
woohoo

About how much will this base kit cost, how much power you expect outta it, and do you expect turbo lag ? (or do you have electronic assist?)
Old 02-12-2002 | 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

woohoo

About how much will this base kit cost, how much power you expect outta it, and do you expect turbo lag ? (or do you have electronic assist?)
Take a look at the initial post (page 1) it's got all the details you need!

I have added a BOV for the PSSSSSSSSSSHT! and gone with the Tial wastegate.

As far as turbolag goes, this is something of a controversial topic. I am certain Turbomax will comment about the fact that I will have too much turbolag on my set up. I can only wait and see. If there is too much, I may request a change to the T3/T4 like Turbomax. Unclemax has an even bigger turbo G60-1 (I think) so we'll just have to wait and see. As far as electronic assist, I am not sure what you mean by that. If you are talking about boost controller, then yes, I will be adding that myself. Can't afford the price creep anymore! As far as other electronic assist - no. I will look into an custom ECU upgrade later.
Old 02-12-2002 | 07:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not incredibly well educated on turbos, but after reading this thread from beginning to end it really teaches you a lot. Thanks for leading by example Nigel especially for a budget turbo setup. With all these turbo setups in the works maybe eventually a cooperative kit can be made available to satisfy the needs of each prospective owner.
Best of luck to you and thanks for the updates.
-hype
Old 02-12-2002 | 08:12 PM

does anybosy know about the turbo that was on the Gloria in Japan? The engine in that car is the same base as the ones in the our cars im pretty sure.
Old 02-14-2002 | 02:37 PM

Dynoed today

OK car is finally in the shop.

It was dynoed today at 170 HP 190 ftlb with CAI and Y pipe. The pipework is being done today. mounting will be done tomorrow or Saturday hopefully.
Old 02-14-2002 | 02:39 PM

Re: Dynoed today

OK car is finally in the shop.

It was dynoed today at 170 HP 190 ftlb with CAI and Y pipe. The pipework is being done today. mounting will be done tomorrow or Saturday hopefully.
Nice glad to see that it is going under. So you gonna DYNO it again after they are all said and done?

SuDZ
Old 02-14-2002 | 02:45 PM

Re: Re: Dynoed today

Originally posted by SuDZ

Nice glad to see that it is going under. So you gonna DYNO it again after they are all said and done?

SuDZ
YES! I was also wondering if these numbers are about right for a car with these mods? seems kind a low. 190HP is what the ads said. I know that's probably at the flywheel so 20HP lost?

I tried to do a search but "HP" is too short!

I am also at 5000ft above sea level, so that might have an effect.
Old 02-14-2002 | 03:28 PM

That seems low to me. My dyno was done in Dallas which is well below CO, but I got 163.6hp and 183tq with only a 2.25" catback and a JWT popcharger. Now I have a Ypipe and a hybrid HAI so I should dyno signifigantly higher than my previous 163. I'm also a 5spd like you.
Dyno

-hype
Old 02-14-2002 | 03:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Dynoed today

[B]

YES! I was also wondering if these numbers are about right for a car with these mods? seems kind a low. 190HP is what the ads said. I know that's probably at the flywheel so 20HP lost?
15-20% loss is normal, see http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....rivetrain+loss for more info. Also, 5000 ft will affect the dyno results considerably, but they may have "corrected" the results for altitude.

Good luck with the turbo, I'd love to check it out this summer when I'm home in CO from school.
Old 02-14-2002 | 06:11 PM

Is there a list of DYNO results somewhere just like the quarter mile results?
Old 02-15-2002 | 02:24 PM

Is there a list of DYNO results somewhere just like the quarter mile results?
Which Dyno did you go to. I know that most of the Dyno guys in Colorado give corrected #.
Old 02-15-2002 | 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Canuck

Which Dyno did you go to. I know that most of the Dyno guys in Colorado give corrected #.
The guy that's doing my turbo did it. I forgot to ask if it was corrected or not. What do you guys Dyno at right now?
Old 02-15-2002 | 04:45 PM

Whats the word on this turbo? Think that it is going to be a reality?
Old 02-15-2002 | 05:53 PM

Originally posted by perfectmax
Whats the word on this turbo? Think that it is going to be a reality?
Well my piping is being done right now! I hope it is a reality. Will post pics soon! Anyone know how I can post pics here?
Old 02-15-2002 | 06:00 PM

Your best bet is to host the pics elsewhere and just post links. I can host them for you if you like nigel.
-hype
Old 02-15-2002 | 06:02 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
Your best bet is to host the pics elsewhere and just post links. I can host them for you if you like nigel.
-hype
Thanks dude! I might have to take you up on that! I will be taking pics tomorrow or Monday.
Old 02-15-2002 | 08:50 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

Already in the process of being put in a 99. T3/T4.
My Q45 has the T04E pushing 1.25 bar.
My 240SX will have the SR20DET (Red Top) shortly.
My Altima had the SR20DET, til I had a beautiful failure, now KA24DET.
oh, for real? what about taking off the turbo from that one and using those parts to have one put on a stock engine?
Old 02-15-2002 | 08:57 PM

Turbo is worth salvaging, spool quick as f*ck, but the motor aint cheap #1 and this one has been sold to a .org member, and is currently being installed. I told him exactly how to do it, and he's seen my machinery. He should be done in 2weeks or so. Then it'll get interesting. T3/T4 has more potential than the stock DET Turbo, given its the right trim. The T04E in my Q45 is there for a reason.

so you already have the T04E in your Q45? an pics/links?
Old 02-15-2002 | 10:01 PM

Pet project sponsored by my employer, don't worry you'll see pics of finished products by August. Currently the car is having major problems w/ boost spike and a wierd surge when its been running hard for long periods of time. Suspect ECU or AVC-R is not jibe'n w/ the ECU.
Dude

Do you happen to know what the difference is between this engine and the Max's? I am curious to know if the cylinders have been reinforced to run with boost. Would you happen to know what boost this runs/can run? Reason I am asking is I would like to understand how much boost I can run (safely?!?!). Our compression ratio is pretty high 10:1 so I am curious.

Also can this engine really fit into a max? It seems really big to fit in a max.
Old 02-15-2002 | 10:21 PM

Psst, I'll clue you in...http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=98991
hehe! Thanks, sorry I didn't see the post. I will search around for more info on this engine. But is you happen to have more info I would be glad to read on. Wish I'd known this before doing my custom Turbo, still would like to know more details about the block and engine components!

Thanks man!
Old 02-15-2002 | 10:44 PM

My DE-DET Hybrid motor produced insane horespower to peel all the way midway thru 3rd gear and I wasn't WOT.(75% throttle.) By 70mph my traction is regained and my speedo and tach charge so hard I bounced off redline more than 5 times before i even had a chance to shift. 3-4 is met w/ sometimes a chirp hard charging passing 110mph shift 4-5 and still charging, thats what a turbo is all about.
If you want the real skinny, contact jeff92SE, he is the Maxima Guru, and he is a wealth of information, so I've heard.

-Peace
I've been reading quite a few posts about the DET. There appear to be real mixed opinion about whether this will fit into a max or not. Some say you have to rip out the firewall to accomodate the Turbo. I can certainly see how that can be the case.

I am looking a little too far into the future here, but I am looking for engine block/component mods for engine fortification. If there is stuff already out there that would do the job such as from the Gloria I might consider that rather than custom stuff which often costs 2X- 3X more!
Old 02-20-2002 | 05:40 PM

So what's going on?

Well I went to the exhaust place today, the turbo is in with all piping except intercooler, they'll start that tomorrow. I took some pics but forgot to bring my compact flash adapter home from work, so they're stuck on my camera right now .

My turbo is mounted reverse from Unclemax's. That was because of the oil feed was on that side. It doesn't look quite as nice as Unclemax's. It's not chromed! but it will be just as functional! I will definitely post pics tomorrow, since I have them now actually.

My tuner promised me completion by Friday, we'll se if that happens! If not my car will be with him for three weeks since I am going on business trip. Won't get to enjoy it for three weeks!
Old 02-20-2002 | 05:45 PM

Re: So what's going on?

Well I went to the exhaust place today, the turbo is in with all piping except intercooler, they'll start that tomorrow. I took some pics but forgot to bring my compact flash adapter home from work, so they're stuck on my camera right now .

My turbo is mounted reverse from Unclemax's. That was because of the oil feed was on that side. It doesn't look quite as nice as Unclemax's. It's not chromed! but it will be just as functional! I will definitely post pics tomorrow, since I have them now actually.

My tuner promised me completion by Friday, we'll se if that happens! If not my car will be with him for three weeks since I am going on business trip. Won't get to enjoy it for three weeks!
Man that sucks that you don't get to play right away :P At least your turbo work has been progressing lately. Can't wait to see pictures.
-hype
Old 02-20-2002 | 06:08 PM

yeah it sucks that I can't play immediately!

Oh one more thing is the battery had to be relocated, there was no choice there. It will have to go in the trunk. So those guys interested in the kit, you'll have to take that into account too! I won't get to install it myself as planned, I am swamped with work this week before my trip...it sucks! Last week I took two days off work to do this but the timing was all wrong! I would have loved to have installed it myself. I may still try to squeeze some time in if he works late on it, I'll join in. May be I'll just take Friday off!
Old 02-20-2002 | 07:37 PM

some pics

So I managed to get the pics off my camera:

I have not done this before, so don't know if this works:

Old 02-20-2002 | 07:41 PM

Re: some pics

I have not done this before, so don't know if this works:

[IMG]c:\pics\Im000066.jpg[/IMG]
Nope try again Or just send em over here.
-hype
Old 02-20-2002 | 08:08 PM

Re: some pics

I edited the above and also added this one. I am only showing the top side right now.

Old 02-20-2002 | 08:15 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: some pics

I edited the above and also added this one. I am only showing the top side right now.

I HAVE JUST BEEN OWNED!!!!!!!!!

I need to go have a cold shower and a cigarete
Old 02-20-2002 | 08:25 PM

Oh! There's two orders already placed for this kit from a performance shop down in Denver ... so CO guys, if you're interested PM or email me.
Old 02-20-2002 | 08:26 PM

Wow looks nice. I can't wait to see how it runs/dynoes
-hype
Old 02-20-2002 | 08:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: some pics

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bags533
[B]

$h!t.. that looks tight! anyone want to bring the project to North Carolina??
Old 02-21-2002 | 08:06 AM
MaximaFreak

Re: Re: Re: Re: some pics

[QUOTE]Originally posted by perfectmax
[B]
Originally posted by bags533

D:\America Online 6.0a\download\scottsphatcar1.jpg
That says a lot. You boyz really need to get off AOL and get a real ISP
Old 02-21-2002 | 08:12 AM

so what was the final cost of this beast? With all parts and install?
Old 02-21-2002 | 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Old 02-21-2002 | 09:21 AM

Oh! There's two orders already placed for this kit from a performance shop down in Denver ... so CO guys, if you're interested PM or email me.

man.....i wish i would have known about this before i bagged my max!....ahh well, this will be next! (if it works for you)

btw-check your pms
Old 02-21-2002 | 10:00 AM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
I think originally he said 2 grand.

SuDZ
Old 02-21-2002 | 10:34 AM

Re: Re: some pics

*Sigh* There is my old FSTB If this works out well for you and there are no reliability problems I might have to keep my maxi, park her buttox until I can get a new engine and start the mods all over again.

Kirk

Best of luck Nigel!
Old 02-21-2002 | 10:48 AM

thats sucks ...
Old 02-21-2002 | 12:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: some pics

[QUOTE]Originally posted by perfectmax
[B]
Originally posted by bags533

$h!t.. that looks tight! anyone want to bring the project to North Carolina??
You live in North Carlolina?
Old 02-21-2002 | 12:53 PM

The whole world want to know!

Hehe! A pic is worth a thousand words! NO one was really interested until I posted these pics!

I have had a lot of requests to see it and also name of shop that did this.

1. Yes you can see it. I managed to postpone my business trip today for 1 week, so I will get to play with it for a few days. Those that live in Fort Collins, I will arrange to meet you if/when it is done.

2. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I will not mention his name until I am satisfied that everything works and is good. I don't want to refer people to someone that is bad. That would suck for you and for me!

There was a slip up today it seems. The guy that was supposed to tow my car back to the tuner from the piping place didn't show. I am sure it will not be done by Friday now.

As soon as it is done, I will post more pics with dyno results. I was perhaps over optimistic on the Dyno expectations. I said 300 HP at the wheels. If the S/C are only at 230 at the wheels, I'll probably have only 260-280. My tuner seems optimistic though. Only the Dyno will tell.

Quick Reply: 4th gen turbo kit ....very close!