4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Left turn indicator issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:10 AM

Left turn indicator issues

Folks,
I searched the forums first before I posted this. I did find some tips but they did not help.

97 Maxima SE with 282 K miles:
ISSUE: Left turn signal indicator on the dash was blinking way too rapidly. Noticed that the front left blinker on the bumper was out. I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a pair of GE 1156 bulbs. After opening the plastic panels on the bumper, I found that the side marker light was out; went back again and got a pair of DriveWorks 194 Long Life (14V, 4.6W) side marker bulbs. Installed new bulbs and the left turn indicator still does not work, the side marker light lit up (so there is power coming in)

I looked at the fuse #14, 7.5A (it works, duh, because the right indicators are working)

The Hazard flasher works (with the exception of the front left turn signal bulb )

I cleaned the contacts when I inserted the GE1156 bulb in the socket (as said on the forum)

The fuses are intact; am not sure if there are relays for turn signals.

Any other tips before I take it back to the stealership?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Rear lamps ok?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Rear lamps ok?
Yes, the rear lamps are ok. The only thing not working is the front left turn indicator.

Also, when I switch on the Hazards, the only thing not blinking is the front left turn bulb; all the other three are ok.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:25 AM

Being an older car, corrosion could be a problem. Is the light bulb socket clean and free from corrosion? Look on the backside of the lamp housing and inspect the wires to ensure they are there and attached.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Being an older car, corrosion could be a problem. Is the light bulb socket clean and free from corrosion? Look on the backside of the lamp housing and inspect the wires to ensure they are there and attached.
I did check the socket. I even used that grease that Advance Auto parts sells for bulbs. Before I used the grease, I cleaned the terminals with compressed air. I made sure there were free of corrosion.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 PM

Assuming you checked the wiring on the backside of the housing and it is OK, it is now time to get the voltmeter out and start troubleshooting.

You need to check 2 things:
1 - 12 volts is present on the contact at the bottom of the lamp socket.
2 - The wall or side of the socket has continuity with ground.

At least one of those 2 items is missing. When you find out, then we can start fixing the problem.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Assuming you checked the wiring on the backside of the housing and it is OK, it is now time to get the voltmeter out and start troubleshooting.

You need to check 2 things:
1 - 12 volts is present on the contact at the bottom of the lamp socket.
2 - The wall or side of the socket has continuity with ground.

At least one of those 2 items is missing. When you find out, then we can start fixing the problem.
DennisMik,
Sorry for the delay. Had a birth in the family and I was out of town.

I checked for 12 V on the turn signal socket and there is none. The side marker light had 12 V though.

Thanks
A
Old 10-06-2013, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by anand14
DennisMik,
Sorry for the delay. Had a birth in the family and I was out of town.

I checked for 12 V on the turn signal socket and there is none. The side marker light had 12 V though.

Thanks
A
PROBLEM SOLVED (FOR NOW)

Thanks to DennisMik for pointing me in the right direction. It was a bad ground issue. The turn indicator's ground was faulty. When I connected the ground to the negative of the battery, the bulb started working.

My friend helped me splice the left turn bulb's ground wire to the side marker's ground wire.

This has solved the problem. I read on the forums that the 1995 - 99 Maximas had grounding issues.

Yesterday, my car would not start and I feared the worst but it was a bad battery (3 years old) and was only putting out 300 mA (instead of the rated 800 mA). I replaced the battery and things are back to normal.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

The 1997 FSM (someone on this forum posted a PDF) is great. I saw it after I solved the issue. The FSM has a trouble shooting guide that points to a bad ground if one bulb does not work.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a similar issue. My girlfriend has a 2005 Maxima. The vin comes up as an SE but the badge says SL. So I'm not sure exactly but, it was all the bells and whistles. The right turn signals work just fine, the left, not so much. They light up, but they don't blink. The bulbs are fine, fuses are fine and I actually put new wiring harnesses on the head light and tail light. Still not flashing. Could it also be a grounding issue?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 AM

It does seem like a grounding issue. When you use a multimeter, do you get 12V on and off at the blinker socket. The constant "on and off" is what makes it blink. In my case, it was a bad ground, so we took the black grounding wire and found a different grounding point and voila, it worked. My car is a 1997 SE but was manf. in late 1996 (according the VIN #)

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Bgbrndn
I have a similar issue. My girlfriend has a 2005 Maxima. The vin comes up as an SE but the badge says SL. So I'm not sure exactly but, it was all the bells and whistles. The right turn signals work just fine, the left, not so much. They light up, but they don't blink. The bulbs are fine, fuses are fine and I actually put new wiring harnesses on the head light and tail light. Still not flashing. Could it also be a grounding issue?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!